Last visit was: 29 May 2024, 18:20 It is currently 29 May 2024, 18:20
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 64054 [0]
Given Kudos: 1799
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 64054 [0]
Given Kudos: 1799
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: An archaeological excavation at what might have been a workshop where [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Jitu20 wrote:
GMATNinja, RonTargetTestPrep , GMATninja2 MartyTargetTestPrep I have read the above explanations regarding option C, however I am not fully convinced. Could you explain your approach to deciding between B and C, also unsure regarding what might be/ what might have been constructions and when they are used.

If Tim eats what might have been a hamster, he's eating an animal and there's a chance that this animal was a hamster. Not a terribly appetizing thought, but not illogical either.

If Tim eats a possible hamster, it suggests that Tim actually ate a hamster, and this hamster happens to have the characteristic of "possible." This is nonsense. The hamster either exists or it doesn't!

Same deal here. If an excavation takes place at what might have been a workshop, it means there's a structure that could have been a workshop, but we don't know for sure. That's fine. Keep (B).

If an excavation takes place at a possible workshop, it means the structure was, in fact, a workshop, and this workshop was of the "possible" variety. This is nonsense. Kill (C).

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Re: An archaeological excavation at what might have been a workshop where [#permalink]
BillyZ wrote:
An archaeological excavation at what might have been a workshop where statues were reproduced yielded 1,532 fragments of human figures, including 7 intact statues.

(A) what might have been a workshop where statues were reproduced yielded 1,532 fragments of human figures, including
(B) what might have been a workshop where statues were reproduced yielded 1,532 fragments of human figures and
(C) the site of a possible workshop where statues were reproduced yielded 1,532 fragments of human figures and
(D) the site of a possible workshop where statues were reproduced yielded 1,532 fragments of human figures, including
(E) the site of a possible workshop where statues might have been reproduced yielded 1,532 fragments of human figures, including

SC24561.01

Hi AjiteshArun ,

Including is a preposition also. Is it because of comma before 'including', it is considered here as present participle ?

Thanks
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7805 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
perseverance2021

"Including" is never a preposition. Prepositions are relational words like of, in, by, around, etc. Like most -ing words, it is typically a present participle. Some -ing words can also be gerunds (nouns), but that doesn't work here.

I'm curious what issue you're seeing, though, since no one mentioned participles in their explanation. Is there a usage that's bothering you?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4687 [0]
Given Kudos: 640
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
perseverance2021 wrote:
Hi AjiteshArun ,

Including is a preposition also. Is it because of comma before 'including', it is considered here as present participle ?

Thanks

Hi perseverance2021,

That's an interesting question. Although it is a word derived from a verb (and in some cases it retains some properties of verbs and even coordinators), including is used almost exclusively as a preposition. Any good dictionary (1, 2, 3, 4...) will also classify including as a preposition.

We can look at other ways of using including, but as far as the GMAT is concerned, we should generally not expect including to follow the rules that apply to structures like present participles. You could also go through this discussion on including [1:42:40]:

TL;DR: We should not look at including as a normal "comma -ing" on the GMAT.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
DmitryFarber wrote:
perseverance2021

"Including" is never a preposition. Prepositions are relational words like of, in, by, around, etc. Like most -ing words, it is typically a present participle. Some -ing words can also be gerunds (nouns), but that doesn't work here.

I'm curious what issue you're seeing, though, since no one mentioned participles in their explanation. Is there a usage that's bothering you?

Hi DmitryFarber,

Is there a reason you prefer to analyse including as a present participle rather than as a preposition? I would think that the use of including as a present participle is extremely limited compared to its use as a preposition.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7805 [1]
Given Kudos: 56
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
An archaeological excavation at what might have been a workshop where [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
To be honest, it just never occurred to me that the common uses of "including" would lead people to categorize it as a preposition. I can see the reasoning, and I bow to the sources cited, so I will stand corrected here. However, I'm not sure the classification changes anything about the reasoning required to reach the answer.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
DmitryFarber wrote:
To be honest, it just never occurred to me that the common uses of "including" would lead people to categorize it as a preposition. I can see the reasoning, and I bow to the sources cited, so I will stand corrected here. However, I'm not sure the classification changes anything about the reasoning required to reach the answer.

Fair enough. I think most test takers know how to use including, but being told that including is a present participle could cause some confusion, because test takers may try to apply what they've learnt about present participles to words like including (my point is not specific to this question).

Thank you for clarifying your position.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
An archaeological excavation at what might have been a workshop where statues were reproduced yielded 1,532 fragments of human figures, including 7 intact statues.

Option Elimination -

(A) what might have been a workshop where statues were reproduced yielded 1,532 fragments of human figures, including - " what might have been a workshop" is a noun clause acting as an object of a preposition "at." The usage of present perfect "have been" is correct as the "speculation" of this place being a workshop started in the past and continuous to the present. Comma + including can modify the clause and, more importantly, the nearest noun, as GMATIntensive has also pointed out. Here, "including" modifies the "human figures" and it doesn't make sense to say that fragments included "intact statues." Wrong.

(B) what might have been a workshop where statues were reproduced yielded 1,532 fragments of human figures and - ok

(C) the site of a possible workshop where statues were reproduced yielded 1,532 fragments of human figures and - We can say "digital workshop," "Gen AI workshop," "foundry workshop," but there is nothing like "possible workshop," or "impossible workshop." - Wrong.

(D) the site of a possible workshop where statues were reproduced yielded 1,532 fragments of human figures, including - the same issue as of C and comma + including.

(E) the site of a possible workshop where statues might have been reproduced yielded 1,532 fragments of human figures, including- the same issue as of C and comma + including.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6952 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts