Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 10:46 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 10:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: ISB '25
GPA: 8.9
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 801 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13409 [2]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.1
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation Request for ISB 2024 intake - Class of 2025 [#permalink]
dv23 wrote:
­School:
Class X: 9.2 CGPA (CBSE) - 2016
Class XII: 94% (CBSE) - 2018

College (Top 20 NIRF Ranking India):
CGPA: 8.9/10 or 3.6/4 - 2022

Research Publication:
Research Chapter in European Journal on CBDC (Cryptocurrency) - 2023

Professional Experience:
1. Summer Intern at Fintech

2. Head of Operations at Ed-Tech startup [Founding Member] while still being in college - Enrolled more than 100K students for free training, 3000 students for paid courses, handled management for development of 20+ tech and aptitude courses, gained more than 100K subscribers on YT in a year and total 250K subscribers during my tenure, similar number on other social media platforms like LinkedIn and https://gmatclub.com/chat.

3. Software Developer for a Product at Big 4 for tenure of 1.5 years and subsequently transitioned into Product Owner/Product Manager role currently with 6 months of experience. Will have 1 year of experience as PO/PM before applications.

Certifications:
Blockchain Developer Nanodegree
ScaledAgile SAFe Agile Product Manager 6.0
AWS Solutions Architect Associate

Work Achievements:
Work related awards
Winner in Blockchain related competition at work

Extracurricular:
State Level Table Tennis Player
State Level award for Non Profit Contribution

GMAT: Not yet taken, target 695/705 GMAT FE, equivalent to 750 GMAT Classic.

Quick Question:
As I will complete just 2 years of Work Experience by Round 1 applications in 2024 intake, should I apply this year or next year as majority of admissions at ISB involve 3-5 yr work experience. Will 1 more year of work experience as a Product Manager help me make my profile stronger?
 ­

­Hi! You have a pretty strong profile, something that ISB would like. However, since your experience is of software development you will fall under the over-represented pool of applicants. A higher GMAT will certainly make you stand out and your extra curriculars/research chapter/social media engagement will also give you an edge. You will have to certainly make your story look stronger in your essays and then articulate well about why MBA, why ISB, why now etc. in your interviews. The essays and interview articulation is where lots of candidates miss the train.

If you want a more detailed analysis of your profile, you can book a complimentary call (https://ivycrackers.com/general-assessment/) with our mentor who is on ISB admissions interview panel. 
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 617 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM

dv23 wrote:
­School:

Research Publication:

Professional Experience:

2. Head of Operations at Ed-Tech startup [Founding Member] while still being in college - Enrolled more than 100K students for free training, 3000 students for paid courses, handled management for development of 20+ tech and aptitude courses, gained more than 100K subscribers on YT in a year and total 250K subscribers during my tenure, similar number on other social media platforms like LinkedIn and https://gmatclub.com/chat.

3. Software Developer for a Product at Big 4 for tenure of 1.5 years and subsequently transitioned into Product Owner/Product Manager role currently with 6 months of experience. Will have 1 year of experience as PO/PM before applications.

Certifications:

Work Achievements:
Work related awards

Extracurricular:

Quick Question:
As I will complete just 2 years of Work Experience by Round 1 applications in 2024 intake, should I apply this year or next year as majority of admissions at ISB involve 3-5 yr work experience. Will 1 more year of work experience as a Product Manager help me make my profile stronger?
 ­

­dv23 hope this finds you wellYou seem to have a lot of potential for making it to ISB with exactly 2 years of experience. And in case you have read my other posts, I don't say it easily to B-school aspirants who range on the lower side of the experience spectrum.

What I like about your profile:

1. You have a bunch of relevant certifications and work achievements and even a research publication. For younger applicants, nothing works better than demonstrating a strong academic appreciation of your métier and ability to delve deeper into learning things.
  2. High on energy. B-schools like ISB over the years have been more and more willing to accept younger applicants because it reflects the industry demand. Recruiters want active go-getters who are not afraid to take risks and hustle. Your experience in the EdTech startup while still being in college shows how you started thinking about the business side of things at an early stage, and that gives you a headstart in terms of the rich insight you could bring to the cohort compared to other very young students.
  3. Proof of transition from Ops to Software to PM in addition to a strong Big 4 brand association.
However, you need to be strategic about finding the hooks in your experience. ISB sees a lot of pre-MBA techies applying to the program. You will have to execute your application well to stand out. You need to unpack your experiences and reconstruct your stories in a way that shows that working on high-impact projects has given you a much more hands-on experience and opportunity to engage with leaders from the industry, more experiential maturity, and more capability to contextualize business problems than most young techies who apply.Having said all of the above, you must attain your target score of 705 to make it to ISB. Always remember that schools are spoilt for choice and they won't blink an eye before rejecting a very young applicant who has an improvement area.

I have experience with candidates who applied to ISB at exactly 2 years of experience so feel free to connect and discuss your chances here- MBAGuide

Get personalized advice tailored to your unique circumstances in the B School admissions process. Reapplying? Get a free ding analysis

Best wishes
Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD MBA alum, former INSEAD MBA admissions interviewer)
Founder, MBAGuideConsulting (former MBA admissions consultant at top global firm)
LinkedIn |WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/| Message(WA): +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com­

Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Expert Reply

dv23 wrote:
­School:

Research Publication:

Professional Experience:

Certifications:

Work Achievements:
Work related awards

Extracurricular:

Quick Question:
 ­

­Hello dv23,

Thanks for writing in.

To answer your question, if you can wait it out, you should. An additional year of work experience could help you add additional talking points to your profile (including a leadership dimension) and that would prove to be value adding.

All the best!
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey there dv23

While ISB admissions do tend to favor applicants with 3-5 years of experience, your profile has some strong elements that could make you a competitive candidate in Round 1 this year.

Here's why:

1. Strong academic background: Your grades throughout school are impressive, and the research publication adds a unique accomplishment.
2. Founding member and leadership experience: Leading operations and growing a startup demonstrates initiative and leadership qualities.
3. Transitioning to Product Management: This trajectory showcases both technical and business acumen, highly valued by business schools.
4. Relevant certifications: The Blockchain and product management certifications show you're keeping pace with industry trends.

Yes, another year as a Product Manager will surely strengthen your application further.  However, your current experience, coupled with your well-rounded profile, shouldn't be underestimated.

Here's the trade-off:

This year (Round 1): You demonstrate ambition and a clear career path. Aim for a strong GMAT score to bolster your application.
Next year (Round 1): An extra year allows leadership growth in your PM role and potentially even a promotion.

Ultimately, the decision depends on your confidence in achieving a high GMAT score and how quickly you feel you can make an impact in your current role.

Either way, focus on excelling in your current position and consider reaching out to ISB alums and current students for guidance specific to your situation. They can provide valuable insights to help you make an informed decision.

Want some personalized insights?  Our admissions experts would love to chat with you in a free profile evaluation call. They can offer a more detailed analysis of your fit for ISB and suggest specific strategies to strengthen your application. This free consultation can help you refine your application approach and increase your chances of admission.

Click here to schedule your free profile evaluation call.

Email: hasan@mbaandbeyond.com
dv23 wrote:
­School:

Research Publication:

Professional Experience:

Certifications:

Work Achievements:
Work related awards

Extracurricular:

Quick Question:
 ­

­
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello,

To answer your questions:

1. As I will complete just 2 years of Work Experience by Round 1 applications in 2024 intake, should I apply this year or next year as majority of admissions at ISB involve 3-5 yr work experience. - Yes, you could take some more time to apply, and probably keep it for the next year. However, the reason for recommending this is not entirely about - "majority of admissions at ISB involve 3-5 yr work experience". Where I am coming from is that depth of work experience would definitely be important in putting up a strong application.

2. Will 1 more year of work experience as a Product Manager help me make my profile stronger? - Yes, if you are in no rush to apply, with 1 more year of work experience you will surely be a stronger contributor to the class (which is an important criteria for selection).

All the best!
dv23 wrote:
­School:

Research Publication:

Professional Experience:

Certifications:

Work Achievements:
Work related awards

Extracurricular:

Quick Question:
 ­

­
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 210 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
dv23 wrote:
­School:

Research Publication:

Professional Experience:

Certifications:

Work Achievements:
Work related awards

Extracurricular:

Quick Question:
 ­

@dv23- 

B-schools, including ISB, evaluate profiles holistically. What would matter more is the quality of work-ex and the growth in your professional arc, than merely # of years. If you can demonstrate the impact you've had in your role(s), transferable skills, a balanced profile, and score well above the GMAT class average (i.e. atleast 20-30 points higher), I don't think your lower-than-average work-ex would pull you down. For example, this candidate received a US Top-20 MBA admit + scholarships with ~2 years work-ex pre MBA

Also, what are your post-MBA goals? If it's consulting, I'd argue firms prefer younger chaps as they're more "coachable" and can be placed in generalist projects.

Feel free to reach out for a deeper chat.

Regards,
Arvind
Founder, admitStreet | Schedule a free chat
W: https://admitstreet.com | LinkedIn | E: consultingteam@admitstreet.com­
­
GMAT Club Bot