Last visit was: 03 Jun 2024, 08:54 It is currently 03 Jun 2024, 08:54
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1435 [0]
Given Kudos: 575
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 594 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 668 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
Does Masters (MSc) grade matter for MBA application? [#permalink]

Nicholas90 wrote:
Hi,

I did my undegrad studies in Chemical Engineering (BEng Honours in UK) and graduated with a 2:1.
I went on to complete my postgrad masters in Advanced Chemical Engineering (MSc in UK) and graduated with a pass.
I started my career as an engineer and recently managed to pivot into consulting for energy sector (project development).
In total, I have ~9 years of work experience in the energy sector and currently based in Middle East.
As I am looking to pivot into commercial advisory (and business consulting), I am looking to pursue a EMBA.

The following are my questions:
1) May I ask if my grades for MSc (scored an overall "pass") would impact my EMBA application?
2) Does work experience carry higher weightage in EMBA application than past academic records?

Appreciate your help and advice!
Thanks!

­

­Nicholas90

Schools will not place as much emphasis on the "pass" indication if they are able to establish that you have the required academic skills for that EMBA program through other means, such as your undergraduate transcripts (specific subjects relevant to the MBA) and the analytical skills you have demonstrated in the application (perhaps through your essays, EA or GMAT). Whether or not the admissions office admits you depends entirely on how competitive the program you are pursuing is. For many EMBA programs, the schools do not have much responsibility to help you find a job, so I really do not see why the school would have a problem admitting you with average academic performance if the rest of your work profile was strong. And yes, work experience is weighted more heavily than past academic performance (but the adcoms may still need to be convinced of your current academic ability to at least pass the finance/analytical subjects).

Best wishes
Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD MBA alumna, former INSEAD MBA admissions interviewer)
Founder, MBAGuideConsulting 
LinkedIn |WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/| Message(WA): +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com­ ­
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Stanford '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
Re: Does Masters (MSc) grade matter for MBA application? [#permalink]
Hi Nicholas90,

Your MSc grades shouldn't matter too much.  Your work accomplishments will!

Try to get a good test score - whether GMAT, GRE or EA.  And you should be good to go.

Reach out if you want to chat: https://bit.ly/GM_AugAcd_Profile_Evaluation

Best,
Karthik
Quote:
Nicholas90Hi,

I did my undegrad studies in Chemical Engineering (BEng Honours in UK) and graduated with a 2:1.
I went on to complete my postgrad masters in Advanced Chemical Engineering (MSc in UK) and graduated with a pass.
I started my career as an engineer and recently managed to pivot into consulting for energy sector (project development).
In total, I have ~9 years of work experience in the energy sector and currently based in Middle East.
As I am looking to pivot into commercial advisory (and business consulting), I am looking to pursue a EMBA.

1) May I ask if my grades for MSc (scored an overall "pass") would impact my EMBA application?
2) Does work experience carry higher weightage in EMBA application than past academic records?

Thanks!

­

­
The Red Pen Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
Send PM
Expert Reply
Nicholas90 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks!

­Hi Nicholas90,

Your grades for the MSc will not affect your EMBA applications as much. Where do you plan to pursue your EMBA?
Answering your second question: The focus will purely be on your overall work experience. 9 years of work experience will help you portray your overall personality effectively highlighting the right skillsets and experiences which will not only add value to the whole cluster but also help you present your learnings concisely for your betterment. 
Have you attempted GMAT or GMAT FE? 
We would recommend connecting with you for an elaborate discussion of your profile. You can book a free consultation with us here. It will help us strategize your applications for better output. 

You can also connect with our consultants via call at +91 7780769732

GMAT Club Bot