Last visit was: 16 Jun 2024, 18:09 It is currently 16 Jun 2024, 18:09
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13630 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 691 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
Re: MBA vs MIM [#permalink]

Ravi_Rathore wrote:
­How does a MIM compare to an MBA in terms of curriculum and career opportunities?

­Ravi_Rathore
Great question. Keeping things simple..

Masters in Management(MIM) is a general management business program designed for recent graduates and young professionals who want to pursue entry-level opportunities in business roles /consulting. The ideal experience at the time of applying should be between 0-2 years.

In an MBA, the average experience is higher- around 4-6 years depending on the school. As a result, the recruitment positions are also relatively senior compared to opportunities after MiM.

I will list 3 scenarios in which case it makes good sense to pursue an MiM program:

1. You wish to work abroad

If you are a recent graduate(0-2 years since undergrad) looking to work internationally, it makes sense to pursue a MiM program, especially if your current degree is lesser-known outside of your home country and you would currently not be able to find international job opportunities.

2. You wish to pivot to Business management or consulting roles

If you are in an engineering/nonbusiness role currently and wish to pivot to more business centric roles, MiM programs can be a good pathway. As MiM degrees are gaining popularity, they are feeding into lucrative entry-level business management roles more than ever, especially in Europe.

If you are looking to change domain, an alternative to the foreign MiM programs will be the Indian PGDMs (popularly known as 2 year MBAs from IIMs/XLRI etc. with CAT score being a major criterion). I am sure you are already aware of these.

3. You currently face a lack of employment opportunities, even in the local job market
If networking is not one of your strong suits and you find yourself lacking in professional connections and job opportunities, enrolling in a high-ranking MiM program (or PGDM) could assist you in redefining your professional image.

Here are some alternate scenarios in which case it would NOT MAKE GOOD SENSE to pursue a Masters in Management program.

1. You have a job (or an opportunity on hand) that you really like and maybe one that also gives you the option of international mobility

I worked as an engineer at a job that gave me the opportunity to expatriate – twice! With some patience and thoughtful planning, I chalked my journey to getting admits to prestigious MBA programs leveraging my international experience. If you have a job that can enhance your resume and you stick with it for a few years, the odds of gaining acceptance to a top-tier MBA program improve.

2. You want an MBA at some point

If you are proactive in making the most of the available opportunities at present and have an inclination in the back of your mind to pursue an MBA at some point, it may not be wise to jump on the MiM bandwagon at this stage. In another 2 years you might as well build a competitive profile for top MBA programs.

Get personalized advice tailored to your unique circumstances in the B School admissions process. Reapplying? Get a free ding analysis

Best wishes
Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD MBA alum, former INSEAD MBA admissions interviewer)
Founder, MBAGuideConsulting 
LinkedIn |WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/| Message(WA): +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com­
 ­
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
MBA in generally has a better emplyment outcome, but MiM requires less work experience, giving you earlier chance to earn money (Time value of money)
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2067 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
Ravi_Rathore:

Beyond the posts above, consider that MiM programs are generally viewed as less "valuable" (though they are gaining prestige) than the MBA, so they are also less competitive as a whole.

If you have specific questions, ask away here.
GMAT Club Bot