Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 01:11 It is currently 02 May 2024, 01:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Wharton, Booth, Stern
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Concentration: Finance, International Studies (South East Asia)
Schools:Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)
GPA: 5 out of 5
Send PM
Current Student
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Re: Calling all Wharton 2008 applicants [#permalink]
Gee, what happened to this topic??

How was welcome week-end? Did anyone secure an apartment?

I'm still looking, but not easy to secure a deal without being there...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
I didn't go to the welcome weekend, I went down the weekend before. I've found an apartment at the Wanamaker House, did it through e-talk. Audio, if you want to do things remotely I really liked 1500 Locust as well, it's a great building, and the apartments are very nice as well. Just make sure you get a place above the 25th floor...I know of a few students who will be staying there.
Current Student
 Q49  V42
Send PM
shmegs wrote:
I didn't go to the welcome weekend, I went down the weekend before. I've found an apartment at the Wanamaker House, did it through e-talk. Audio, if you want to do things remotely I really liked 1500 Locust as well, it's a great building, and the apartments are very nice as well. Just make sure you get a place above the 25th floor...I know of a few students who will be staying there.

Hey shmegs, I'm looking at 1600 Walnut. Almost secured a deal at the Wanamaker, but the realtor from Allan Domb wanted a contract starting on June 15 - not doable for me. How's the wanamaker? Must be a great building...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Audio,

I like the Wanamaker a lot, Allen Domb is very tough to deal with...no negotiations etc. The building itself is very nice, great location plus the views are amazing. Large windows are a big deal to me so I like that. 1600 Walnut also looks good, personally in terms of buildings I liked 1500 Locust and the Wanamaker the best. Both have really nice conference rooms, gyms, and pools. The one big plus for 1500 Locust vs. Wanamaker is that the washer/dryer is in unit. I haven't seen 1600 Walnut, I'm just going by the housing guide. Honestly I think that there are maybe 6 buildings that are nice in center city (other than the really expensive ones, Aria etc.), take a look at the Tourraine, you can check it out online...it's really nice as well. I ended up signing a lease starting on the 18th of July, wanted to get in a week before pre term starts. When do you want to move in?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
shmegs wrote:
Audio,

I like the Wanamaker a lot, Allen Domb is very tough to deal with...no negotiations etc. The building itself is very nice, great location plus the views are amazing. Large windows are a big deal to me so I like that. 1600 Walnut also looks good, personally in terms of buildings I liked 1500 Locust and the Wanamaker the best. Both have really nice conference rooms, gyms, and pools. The one big plus for 1500 Locust vs. Wanamaker is that the washer/dryer is in unit. I haven't seen 1600 Walnut, I'm just going by the housing guide. Honestly I think that there are maybe 6 buildings that are nice in center city (other than the really expensive ones, Aria etc.), take a look at the Tourraine, you can check it out online...it's really nice as well. I ended up signing a lease starting on the 18th of July, wanted to get in a week before pre term starts. When do you want to move in?

Audio and shmegs,

Just got back from WW - what a blast! Did get tired of the extreme 'networking', but overall it so worth the 16 hr plane jouney.

shmegs, I too will be at the Wannamaker - 29th floor. Totally agree about the comments on Allan domb, hence I connected straight with the owner. Signed the lease before I left. Very happy with my decision.

In addition to the places that you guys mentioned, the other places that I really like were 1700 walnut, Locust on the Park and Versailles. I have heard Riverloft is good as well. Really depends what you are looking for.

Shmegs, what floor are you on? I have connected with 3 other new admits with signed leases at the Wannamaker. All of them are have studios, but I got a 2-2.

Looking forward to pre-term!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
DJM,

Haha I think I looked at that apartment, did you rent from Anne? I got a 1-1 on the 14th floor. Couldn't find any other listings for a 1-1, so I guess I'll be stuck a full 15 floors below you, lol. I looked at Riverloft, aside from being crazy expensive 1900+ for a 1-1.5 the 12-14' ceilings just make the living space look like a large box. I'm also glad I was able to work around Allan Domb and get a place directly through the owner.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
did anyone who went to wharton weekend hear anything about the app numbers, yield, waitlist info? Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
shmegs wrote:
DJM,

Haha I think I looked at that apartment, did you rent from Anne? I got a 1-1 on the 14th floor. Couldn't find any other listings for a 1-1, so I guess I'll be stuck a full 15 floors below you, lol. I looked at Riverloft, aside from being crazy expensive 1900+ for a 1-1.5 the 12-14' ceilings just make the living space look like a large box. I'm also glad I was able to work around Allan Domb and get a place directly through the owner.

Yep - I sure did. Now, I am looking to find a roomate to share this with. I think I met a few at the WW that I could share this with.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Yes, I heard the following
- Apps are up over 10% and have reached 7,350 for all three rounds
- Rumors that deferals will be "encouraged" this year - whatever this means.

DARN. That means I could potentially defer and play the H/S lottery once more
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Concentration: Finance, International Studies (South East Asia)
Schools:Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)
GPA: 5 out of 5
Send PM
elhajoui wrote:
Wharton helped you to stay away from gambling, elhajoui :-D
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
elhajoui wrote:
Yes, I heard the following
- Apps are up over 10% and have reached 7,350 for all three rounds
- Rumors that deferals will be "encouraged" this year - whatever this means.

Wow this means even less acceptances next year. Great. Especially sucks for the bankers getting laid off, still sucks for everyone else as well.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Those who went to Wharton Welcome Weeken remember we were given the list of the 800 or so attendants (including partners). Anyway, I took a random page with about 55 names and decided to see which colleges where most represented (excluding international universities). There were a total of 47 U.S. colleges, broken down as follows. I can't give more info, because I assume it would be unethical to do so.

Ivy League schools - 17 people (36%)

Top 5 U.S. News public schools - 10 people (21%)

[b] Top 20 U.S. News colleges - 7 people (15%)

[b] Top 40 U.S. News colleges - 7 people (15%)

[b] Other schools
-6 people (13%)

Hope this helps...

M.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hey guys! I'm glad to hear everyone had a great time at WWW. I know i did!! I definitely came away more confident and excited about Wharton and was completely amazed by how accomplished all the admits are.

btw, elhajoui - i would be one of those "i-never-heard-of-your-undergrad" people and was quite impressed to meet quite a few others in the same situation. Just goes to show that the school cares more about what you've done with your life than simply what school you went to. So future applicants, take heart!!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
To be honest, the people who went to a no-name-undergrad blew me away - they had accomplished so much more than I had. In addition, they had to work so hard to get where they are, unlike us lazy Ivy Leaguers :-). I hope to meet you soon. I just hope my visa is processed on time - I am from an Arab country :cry:
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
elhajoui wrote:
To be honest, the people who went to a no-name-undergrad blew me away - they had accomplished so much more than I had. In addition, they had to work so hard to get where they are, unlike us lazy Ivy Leaguers :-). I hope to meet you soon. I just hope my visa is processed on time - I am from an Arab country :cry:

what is considered a no-name undergrad?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
dabots wrote:
elhajoui wrote:

what is considered a no-name undergrad?

I went to one haha. I would say a complete no name is one when people read through the class profile will be like where the heck is that. Cant be found on any rankings and wouldnt be a large state university.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I'd say on the list, around 20% had a listed a school that was not a USNews top 30 undergrad

Sample of people on "Wharton 2010" facebook group (U.S. schools only) - first three pages displayed (alphabetically): Harvard, Univ. of Chicago, Cornell, Princeton, UVA, Emory, UNC, Univ. of Pennsylvania, Harvard, Berkeley, Princeton, Dartmouth, Brown, Harvard, Brown, Princeton, Carnegie Mellon, Caltech, Univ. of Illinois, UT-Austin, Amherst, Duke, Yale, Williams, Princeton, George Washington Univ., Harvard, Harvard, Univ. of Pennsylvania

I am not trying to make a point...In fact, I wish the class was more diverse in terms of school backgrounds! It would be nice to see as much diversity as possible!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts