Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 02:50 It is currently 05 May 2024, 02:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Ross, Johnson, Tepper, Fisher
 Q49  V38
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
WE 1: Hi-tech Product Development
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling all [[Michigan (Ross)]] 2008 applicants... [#permalink]
Hey RR- I updated the first page with the matriculation info. Also dont know about holdengk. Looks like we have about 16 as far as I know- more than K or GSB :) Also, I believe the yield is higher for Ross as well. Kind of interesting to see that the yield numbers are in-line with USNEWS.

riverripper wrote:
So who is actually headed to Ross. It doesnt have that info on the first page...I am curious since it seems that Ross is way up there along with GSB and Kellogg in terms of popularity.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Re: [#permalink]
bherronp wrote:
I'm applying, its one of my R1 schools. I like what I have heard about the program so far, the only thing that concerns me is whether my wife will be able to find a job in Ann Arbor.

Nearly 1 year later I am almost in the same spot as when I wrote the 2nd post in this thread. Funny. :?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Ross 2010
 Q44  V44
Send PM
I just got back from the Consortium conference where there's a lot of recruiting for summer internships (yes, for 09). I'm interested in consulting, but there weren't many MC firms there so I started exploring internal strategy/consulting within companies. My perspective is that it's different by company. Some really want prior MC experience and it's a deal breaker if you don't have that. For others it's not so important. I would reach out to the specific companies you are interested in and see if you can find out. It's not uniform like MC or IB. Keep in mind these groups are pretty small. I was talking to a recuiter and she said 'yeah the internal strategy group is pretty big. It's like 20 people.' And that was at Pepsi.....

bherronp wrote:
So a Ross alum told me today that corp strat groups in tech companies pretty much exclusively hire former management consultants. That is pretty disappointing news for me.
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
skaballet wrote:
I just got back from the Consortium conference where there's a lot of recruiting for summer internships (yes, for 09). I'm interested in consulting, but there weren't many MC firms there so I started exploring internal strategy/consulting within companies. My perspective is that it's different by company. Some really want prior MC experience and it's a deal breaker if you don't have that. For others it's not so important. I would reach out to the specific companies you are interested in and see if you can find out. It's not uniform like MC or IB. Keep in mind these groups are pretty small. I was talking to a recuiter and she said 'yeah the internal strategy group is pretty big. It's like 20 people.' And that was at Pepsi.....

Oh, it definitely won't keep me from trying. And corp start certainly isn't my only interest, but it is something I find very appealing. It is disappointing to hear that some companies (probably) will not even consider me, but all I can do is try.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
Football tickets: Who bought em? I did it 1st thing this morning. Anyone else with me?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Count me in. I did the same the first thing this morning too.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Schools:Ross 2010
 Q44  V44
Send PM
Me too! :musband
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
Ordered mine this evening as well....:)
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
I've got mine as well.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
skaballet wrote:

A person I reached out to during my application process works in the strategy group at a fortune 500 (in the 100-200 range) probably 15k employees or so and their strategy group was like a ten people. I was told that you either need to bring something special to the table or previous experience in the MC field for a big name and even with that they like projects in their industry. Pretty much they dont hire people in very often I guess and dont really even recruit MBAs actively for it. When its a small group that works closely together they can be incredibly picky about who they bring in.

It was a little discouraging to hear that but his advice was go for it like you would any job in MC or IB. Its all about being as prepared as possible, so do your research ahead of time, so you have to commit and be selective. Know everything you can about the company and industry (this helps if you have prior experience in it and are passionate about it). Its a must to know all the important names of executives, locations, subsidiaries (at least big ones), and very important is to know the trends for the industry. He said they would rather bring in someone who is extremely passionate about the industry and company because it is a good long term investment. If you can go in and nail tons of stuff about the company and can speak accurately and with passion about the industry you are going to have a much better shop. So if you want to go to Pepsi better stop drinking Coke right now.

He also said coming from a top school is going to be important, more so than some other rolls in the company (this may differ drastically company to company though). So Ross should give you a shot at a lot of companies. This guy was not a previous MC and was hired directly in to the strategy area, he did come from a big name MBA program and had relevant work experience as an engineer...he said he thinks it was the fact that he was pursuing just that type of job in that one industry that helped him beat out guys with consulting experience who were going for strategy jobs at lots of different companies in different industries.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Schools: Darden '15
GMAT Date: 12-07-2011
Send PM
I got my visa yesterday :)
I think that the fingerprinting procedure took longer than the actual interview :)... I cannot believe that they take prints of not only a couple of fingers but of ALL 10 fingers !!!. I hope they don't start to require toe prints in near future also ... that would be very time consuming.

Oh and they had to put a big and ugly stamp 'cancelled without prejudice' over my last visa, now when I apply for visas for other non-English speaking countries they might think I did something terribly wrong in the US to get such an ugly, big, black stamp over my previous visa :(

Anyways, overall everybody was really nice at the embassy and they were very well organized. I get visas for different countries almost every month, and from my experience I must say the US embassy has the most polite staff :)
Current Student
Send PM
Congrats Darden! Have you got your housing sorted out yet?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Schools: Darden '15
GMAT Date: 12-07-2011
Send PM
nope, I am still homeless :cry:

but I have applied to one apartment complex and let's see how it goes
Current Student
Send PM
Cool! All the best with that. I have links to some pretty nice places that didn't work out for me in the end. Feel free to PM me if required.
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
If anyone hates football and doesn't plan to buy tickets, please buy them anyway and sell them to me so my wife can go. We will take you (and your spouse/SO if applicable) out to dinner for your trouble.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
KingKREEP wrote:
Cool! All the best with that. I have links to some pretty nice places that didn't work out for me in the end. Feel free to PM me if required.

First time poster here...can you guys let me know what is the range of apartment rent for
1. one bedroom
2. two bedrooms ?

thanks!
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
quiver wrote:
First time poster here...can you guys let me know what is the range of apartment rent for
1. one bedroom
2. two bedrooms ?

thanks!

1 Bedrooms are about 700-800
2 Bedrooms are right around 1k
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  98   99   100   101   102   103   104