Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 05:14 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 05:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [1]
Schools:Tepper '11
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Non-profit, GM
Schools:Ross, Darden, Yale SOM, Wharton, Kellogg (JD/MBA)
 Q44  V44
Send PM
Re: suit for interview [#permalink]
Overall excellent advice above. I will dissent on two things. I think that a sweater over a shirt and tie should be avoided. Its just a bit too professorial. I also think that French cuffs are fine as long as the cufflinks are understated.

Also pocket squares add so much to a suit. I highly recommend them. White square with white shirt, conservative fold (either straight or triangle). Just my two cents.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
^ I'm going to have to disagree- pocket squares are like ascots, only some guys can pull them off and honestly it's a look that really only works with higher end, tailored suits. It's a nice look to add if everything else is perfect but if not then I really think attention should be focused elsewhere. Most guys look fine without them and if you are a relative newbie the risk is much higher in my opinion in the negative direction than positive.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Non-profit, GM
Schools:Ross, Darden, Yale SOM, Wharton, Kellogg (JD/MBA)
 Q44  V44
Send PM
That's a fair point. Other things should be in order first before the pocket square, especially the tailoring. But I will disagree about the ascot comparison. An ascot (cravat) is foppish and eccentric no matter what. A pocket square if properly folded and well tailored is an definitely in right now and shows that you know what you are doing with style, but yeah...Get the basics done first.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Leverandon wrote:
That's a fair point. Other things should be in order first before the pocket square, especially the tailoring. But I will disagree about the ascot comparison. An ascot (cravat) is foppish and eccentric no matter what. A pocket square if properly folded and well tailored is an definitely in right now and shows that you know what you are doing with style, but yeah...Get the basics done first.

I think pocket squares are inappropriate for job interviews or business school interviews. They come off as trying too hard, same for cufflinks. Save them for a cocktail reception or a party. The ESPN anchor look with the navy suit with bold chalk-white pinstripes and a pocket square is not very business-like.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
fresinha12 wrote:
nothing short of a zegna or canali suit would do, with a tie from hermes if you are going to columbia and or ferragamo if you are still stuck in the 80s..

comeon folks you are going to a top-5 b-school, how can you not afford to spend $2K on a suit??? and as ryhme said get it tailored..

Zegna,or Canali suits just for b-school interviews? I think this is little overboard.

I definitely get my suits tailored after I buy a suit but I don't think we need to go spend thousands of dollars for an interview suit. What will happen once you do spend thousands of dollars for a wrinkle free Prada suit and get dinged from b-school? :wink: It's not like the interviewer is going to ask you to show your suit label on the outside to see what kind of suit you are wearing.....

I wore my Calvin Klein suits (I own 5 CK suits and 2 Hugo Boss Suits for work) to all my b-school interviews. So far - one admit and no rejection....(although Tuck is making me nervous....)

Get your suit tailored, wear a power tie, and nice shoes. Also, get a really nice leather portfolio and a nice suitcase like bag if you need to carry anything.

Also this is my little secret. I always arrive at the interview site about 30 minutes early and look for a water fountain. I toss a quarter and say this prayer:

" Oh my lucky water fountain, take this quarter and make my wish come true.... If my interview goes well, I will come back out and toss you a bright gold dollar coin...." :-D
SVP
SVP
Send PM
ninkorn wrote:
So far - one admit and no rejection....(although Tuck is making me nervous....)

Showoff :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Speaking of bags, at my school visits and interviews, I've seen many prospectives carrying murses (man purse). Whether they were intentional or not, I don't know, but wow did they look funny. For the interview, avoid the murse :P
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
agold wrote:
[
Showoff :)

LOL :-D

ac8706 wrote:
Speaking of bags, at my school visits and interviews, I've seen many prospectives carrying murses (man purse). Whether they were intentional or not, I don't know, but wow did they look funny. For the interview, avoid the murse :P

The question here is - did they get accepted?? :wink: I will swallow my pride and carry women's Louis Vuitton shoulder bag to an interview if it will get me an admit to any top program..... :-D
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Booth 2012
Send PM
lol - i wore a zegna suit to my hbs interview.

It's all silly though... at the end of the day, as long as you aren't dressing ridiculously, no one's going to notice the difference.

ninkorn wrote:

Zegna,or Canali suits just for b-school interviews? I think this is little overboard.

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Schools:Duke
 Q44  V42
Send PM
For the ladies, do you all think "suit dresses" are appropriate? Here's the first example I could find: https://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/WomenBr ... /10694.jsp

Imagine it with nude panty hose or opaque hose and closed toe heels, of course.

Additionally, are there any really specific rules with the type of bags we should bring to the interview? I assume no really bright/distracting colors and patterns, obvious logos, or anything tacky like that...and that it should be nice without screaming "Look how much I paid for this!" What kinds are the other ladies (or men, I know some of you use purses too!) bringing to the interviews?
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
ElleBee wrote:
For the ladies, do you all think "suit dresses" are appropriate? Here's the first example I could find: https://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/WomenBr ... /10694.jsp

Additionally, are there any really specific rules with the type of bags we should bring to the interview? I assume no really bright/distracting colors and patterns, obvious logos, or anything tacky like that...and that it should be nice without screaming "Look how much I paid for this!" What kinds are the other ladies (or men, I know some of you use purses too!) bringing to the interviews?

Hm.. I am sure it's not a 'no-no' to wear one, but I personally chose to only wear pant suits to my interviews. I tried to avoid purses that had any logo designs on it, so I went with just a normal black purse, big enough to hold my leather portfolio, no distracting shoes, but a bold-color shirt with the suit, and some modest accessories. I'd also try to avoid too many diamonds if it looks distracting.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
ElleBee wrote:

I'm no expert on women's fashion, but I think those look great. A girl wore one of those to Tuck on the day that I visited and one of the admissions ladies complimented her on it.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
I think suit dresses can work, as can sheath dresses w/ blazers. The key there is to find one that looks good and doesn't make you look like mother of the bride.

But for interviews, I went with the 'safe' approach and I've been doing a black skirt suit w/ a bold colored shirt (e.g. deep teal or deep maroon - think jewel colors), nude hose, black pumps and modest accessories. For the bag, I've been using a dark red one big enough to hold the portfolio, wallet, etc.

Like jlola21 said, avoid too many diamonds - I've definitely seen some girls that are blinged out to the max. Not so flattering...

Also, there's this thread on women's clothing...some helpful stuff in there: https://gmatclub.com/forum/108-t58705
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
ElleBee wrote:

That's a lovely dress. Honestly I haven't worn a traditional suit to one of my interviews yet....I can't quote admissions statistics for myself but I don't think it's been a huge deal. I've done the sweater/skirt thing, and dresses. Actually for one I wore jeans because the interviewer contacted me and said to dress very casual. I don't wear suits to work often and don't feel comfortable in them so I chose not to wear them. I haven't worn hose either simply because I always forget it at the last minute. For me I feel absolutely more confident in dresses etc versus traditional suits so I chose to take that risk.

For bags I use something black and more structured.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
BTW, just throwing this out there for those people applying to a West Coast school. from what I've seen, unless you're going for banking, the brand or "expensiveness" of a suit doesn't really matter. Just make sure it's fitted correctly (tailor it if it doesn't fit well!), navy/grey/or even black, and you're not "trying to hard" with pocket squares, loud ties, etc... and you'll be fine.

I've RARELY seen anyone in full suits here at Haas, and for those who wear suits, it's pretty traditional looking.
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
k88 wrote:
ElleBee wrote:

That's a lovely dress. Honestly I haven't worn a traditional suit to one of my interviews yet....I can't quote admissions statistics for myself but I don't think it's been a huge deal. I've done the sweater/skirt thing, and dresses. Actually for one I wore jeans because the interviewer contacted me and said to dress very casual. I don't wear suits to work often and don't feel comfortable in them so I chose not to wear them. I haven't worn hose either simply because I always forget it at the last minute. For me I feel absolutely more confident in dresses etc versus traditional suits so I chose to take that risk.

For bags I use something black and more structured.

Yeah I am sure the suit dress is fine, I end up wearing pant/skirt suits at work more often than not so I think what's key is whatever you feel most comfortable in is best, so that you are comfortable during your interview.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Schools:Duke
 Q44  V42
Send PM
Great, thanks for the feedback. I love pants/skirt suits but look terrible in them for some reason...I'm not sure why. :( I like the suit dress look a lot as does my husband (perhaps he and agold have similar tastes...they are both ACC basketball fans). Good advice about the diamonds too (not that I have tons of diamonds or anything, but good to know). I think I'll stick with smallish pearl studs.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10