It is currently 20 Sep 2017, 13:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

suit for interview

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2007, 12:15
LOL. Its funny, the kids who sit around at Duke and talk to you before interviews commented on my European attire when I told them that i was Euro.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2007, 12:25
With my 760 GMAT and my extra LOR, I'm sure I am entitled to wear cuff links. I'm not European, but have traveled in Europe extensively, so I'm covered there too.

To be safe, I will also explain my cuff links in my optional essay.

With the Iron Maiden t-shirt showing under my dress shirt, and my fancy cuff links, I have found the PERFECT way to stand out in the Indian IT bunch!

I'm all set to dazzle the adcoms with my panache. If I don't get into Haas or UCLA, you'll see me on the cover of GQ.

=)

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2007, 12:27
Are you applying full time or part time ? how about a "dhoti" to stand out ?

drucker_fan wrote:
With my 760 GMAT and my extra LOR, I'm sure I am entitled to wear cuff links. I'm not European, but have traveled in Europe extensively, so I'm covered there too.

To be safe, I will also explain my cuff links in my optional essay.

With the Iron Maiden t-shirt showing under my dress shirt, and my fancy cuff links, I have found the PERFECT way to stand out in the Indian IT bunch!

I'm all set to dazzle the adcoms with my panache. If I don't get into Haas or UCLA, you'll see me on the cover of GQ.

=)

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2007, 12:28
Cuff links say, "I dare you not to hire/admit me!"

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2007, 12:28
Even within the US there seems to be subtle differences in the way people dress (Eazyb81 - this is the ghey stuff you're talking about right?), for instance in the Northeast it's all pretty straightforward basically dressed like news anchors, but then the southern guy might wear something that looks a little more country club chic like I saw this one guy interviewing that was from Georgia, and he didn't wear a suit, he wore dark slacks and a tweed jacket.

West Coast guys might be more inclined to wear something like a shiny tie or something a little more "advertising".

These are all generalizations of course, but there do seem to be some subtle differences across the country no?

SVP
SVP

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2007, 12:30
johnnyx9 wrote:
Even within the US there seems to be subtle differences in the way people dress (Eazyb81 - this is the ghey stuff you're talking about right?), for instance in the Northeast it's all pretty straightforward basically dressed like news anchors, but then the southern guy might wear something that looks a little more country club chic like I saw this one guy interviewing that was from Georgia, and he didn't wear a suit, he wore dark slacks and a tweed jacket.

West Coast guys might be more inclined to wear something like a shiny tie or something a little more "advertising".

These are all generalizations of course, but there do seem to be some subtle differences across the country no?

Doesn't the South accessorize their burlap suits with a 12 gauge and a pig on a leash?

Director
Director

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2007, 12:31
kidderek wrote:
johnnyx9 wrote:

Doesn't the South accessorize their burlap suits with a 12 gauge and a pig on a leash?

HAHA

Director
Director

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2007, 12:32
Kidderek - Funniest thing I've read all week!

Intern
Intern

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2007, 13:25
Wearing a dhoti -- good idea! Can't beat it for simplicity. Since I'm from the South (south India, that is), a burlap dhoti will be even better =)

I just realized -- if I buy a new suit and new shoes, I can't wear my beat-up 25$ Timex! How much money will this %^&@! interview cost me?!!

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2007, 13:43
drucker_fan wrote:
Wearing a dhoti -- good idea! Can't beat it for simplicity. Since I'm from the South (south India, that is), a burlap dhoti will be even better =)

I just realized -- if I buy a new suit and new shoes, I can't wear my beat-up 25$ Timex! How much money will this %^&@! interview cost me?!!

Better still wear a dhoti with a navy blue suit on top. Much like the government officials in India. Ensure that you button up your shirt all the way. Thats what I called 'Fusion' dressing highlighting your international background.

To top it up, ensure that you have a very red mouth after chewing some beetlenut or paan to freshen your breath!

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

Schools: Berkeley Haas
Reviews Badge
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2007, 07:21
Just came back from Berkeley interview; wore a sweater and jeans ;) Will see if it costs me an admit. :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2007, 17:26
braindancer wrote:
Just came back from Berkeley interview; wore a sweater and jeans ;) Will see if it costs me an admit. :)

You have balls the size of watermelons my friend.

Director
Director

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2007, 17:31
braindancer wrote:

Are you serious? Do they tell you come dressed in casual?

At my GSB interview there were a few casual folks but they really stuck out. One chick went with the Bohemian look and one guy came in a sweater.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Schools: Berkeley Haas
Reviews Badge
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2007, 17:35
As serious as ever :) No, no one told me. I just thought it's logical to wear casual, given that the interview happened on Saturday in the bar. :) Really, I'd look like a retard if I arrived in full-plate Armani armor. :)

Current Student
B

Kudos [?]: 432 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2007, 20:32
This one is a no brainer, but be sure to shine your shoes and walk in with a business card holder and dayplanner/briefcase. I used an organizer and referred to my notes once to refer to a few names, course numbers, etc. during the interview.

Kudos [?]: 432 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2007, 21:30
i own this beige/tan suit
http://www.menswearhouse.com/menswear/d ... 3846566099

What do you guys think about wearing this for an interview? Is this formal enough?

Director
Director

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2007, 21:38
You own it in that very light tan color? I think you HAVE to go with black, navy, or charcoal.

Are you Indian by any chance? A lot of the Indians that I work with wear unorthodox suits, I'm assuming that in India there is a broader variety of acceptable business suit types. Unfortunately in the US it's a very narrow boring range that people stick to.

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 480 [0], given: 0

Schools: Darden
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2007, 21:47
DO NOT wear that suit in any business situation, ever. Not for a business school interview, not for a job interview, not to a professional cocktail party.

The only time I could imagine where that suit might be appropriate is if you're planning to give your girlfriend the business.

For an interview, go with navy or charcoal, dark in either case. Once you get hired (assuming suits are worn to work) you can expand out to light pinstripes.

With a high-quality tailored suit, you don't need to resort to funky colors to stand out.

Kudos [?]: 480 [0], given: 0

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society

Kudos [?]: 2163 [0], given: 7

Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Premium Member
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2007, 22:08
mailtheguru wrote:
i own this beige/tan suit
http://www.menswearhouse.com/menswear/d ... 3846566099

What do you guys think about wearing this for an interview? Is this formal enough?

Lets see what other people say..... personally I'd vote to keep the pants as a pair of business casual slacks and give the jacket to goodwill and get a tax deduction.

Kudos [?]: 2163 [0], given: 7

Director
Director

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2007, 06:04
Actually, if you're interviewing at MIT or Harvard, then I think you should wear the suit, this will increase my chances of getting in by eliminating some of the competition.

Just kidding!

[#permalink] 14 Mar 2007, 06:04

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10    Next  [ 189 posts ]