It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 00:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

suit for interview

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 1632

Kudos [?]: 213 [0], given: 0

Location: Southern California
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Re: suit for interview [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2008, 08:57
kryzak wrote:
BTW, just throwing this out there for those people applying to a West Coast school. from what I've seen, unless you're going for banking, the brand or "expensiveness" of a suit doesn't really matter. Just make sure it's fitted correctly (tailor it if it doesn't fit well!), navy/grey/or even black, and you're not "trying to hard" with pocket squares, loud ties, etc... and you'll be fine.

I've RARELY seen anyone in full suits here at Haas, and for those who wear suits, it's pretty traditional looking.


I agree, and this is just not a West Coast phenomenom. Bankers are ridiculously snooty about clothes. Other professions - not so much. Put it this way - your typical associate/vice president-level bankers will likely be dressed about on par with the CEO of a $1B company. If you're interviewing with the CEO of $1B company or the Division Head of a $1B business within an F500 - don't outdress him :)

This is a funny parody of bankers (taken from the book "Damn It Feels Good to be a Banker"):

Intern: http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak- ... 5_9970.jpg

Analyst/Associate: http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak- ... 3_9502.jpg

MD: http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak- ... 56_218.jpg

Bottom line:

If you're interested in consulting, general management, marketing - anything except for Finance - you'll be fine with something from Jos A Bank or that caliber. If you're interested in Finance, you'll still be fine with something from Jos A Bank or that caliber for your staples, but you may be smart to invest in one nice suit (Hickey Freeman or so) for first round interviews and first impressions.
_________________

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Kudos [?]: 213 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2008
Posts: 278

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Location: New York City
Schools: Ross, Darden, Yale SOM, Wharton, Kellogg (JD/MBA)
Re: suit for interview [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2008, 10:28
I'm not that familiar with Jos A Bank. Is it above, below, or at the same level as Banana Republic/Ralph Lauren in terms of price/quality?
_________________

"Sic volvere parcas..."

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Status: Burning mid-night oil....daily
Joined: 07 Nov 2008
Posts: 2400

Kudos [?]: 746 [0], given: 548

Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Reviews Badge
Re: suit for interview [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2008, 10:30
Leverandon wrote:
I'm not that familiar with Jos A Bank. Is it above, below, or at the same level as Banana Republic/Ralph Lauren in terms of price/quality?


Jos A Bank is nowhere close to the levels of BR, RL etc.

Right now, they are pretty much giving stuff away. You can see their ads on CNBC. It's pretty much 50% off or buy 1, get 2 free campaign for like 5 months now.

You can think jos A Bank as Mens Wearhouse except, Jos A Bank actually makes their own clothes.....
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 746 [0], given: 548

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 1632

Kudos [?]: 213 [0], given: 0

Location: Southern California
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Re: suit for interview [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2008, 10:31
Leverandon wrote:
I'm not that familiar with Jos A Bank. Is it above, below, or at the same level as Banana Republic/Ralph Lauren in terms of price/quality?


http://www.josabank.com

Comparable to Banana Republic, I think. Although I'm not very familiar with BR. I think BR is far too trendy for a top business school (for men). I think it works out well for the ladies.

Ralph Lauren has several different lines, and it depends which one you're talking about.

Jos A. Bank is comparable to the "Lauren" line that you would find at Macy's or something like that. i.e. approximately $200-400 out the door.

Ralph Lauren Blue Label is made by Corneliani and these are very nice, high-end suits that generally run in the range of $1000. They trump anything from Jos A. Bank.

Ralph Lauren Purple Label is sartorial clothing and will run several thousand. Comparable to a Brioni, Kiton, etc.
_________________

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Kudos [?]: 213 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 01 Feb 2007
Posts: 468

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 8

Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Schools: Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)
Re: suit for interview [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2008, 13:00
If you are looking to buy the best suit ever you gotta try an Ermenegildo Zegna on. They are expensive, but absolutely worth the money - I am a big fan. Brands like Armani, and Hugo Boss use Ermenegildo Zegna fabric for their suits.
_________________

Rukuku.com–Interactive Online Courses
http://www.rukuku.com

Wharton/Lauder blog
http://www.onefootprint.com/lauderwharton/

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 8

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2008
Posts: 278

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Location: New York City
Schools: Ross, Darden, Yale SOM, Wharton, Kellogg (JD/MBA)
Re: suit for interview [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2008, 13:11
I didn't realize that BR was considered too trendy for b-school interviews. Both of my suits are BR, but I think that they are pretty darn conservative. Both are 3-button (one black and one charcoal) traditional American cuts.
_________________

"Sic volvere parcas..."

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 1632

Kudos [?]: 213 [0], given: 0

Location: Southern California
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Re: suit for interview [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2008, 13:12
Leverandon wrote:
I didn't realize that BR was considered too trendy for b-school interviews. Both of my suits are BR, but I think that they are pretty darn conservative. Both are 3-button (one black and one charcoal) traditional American cuts.


Your charcoal is probably fine. Black is not appropriate for interviews.
_________________

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Kudos [?]: 213 [0], given: 0

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2007
Posts: 535

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 0

Schools: Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
Re: suit for interview [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2008, 13:47
I'm hearing a lot of replies on here and for some of it I have to call BS. The two things that are going to matter the most are fit and quality. Fit has nothing to do with quality and is the most important. You'll look better in a cheap suit that fits than a $2000 suit that doesn't. The cheap suit might not last long but for interviewing purposes I don't think that's a factor. So if you ever buy a suit and somehow think that it fits, slap yourself and then go directly to a tailor. Now as far as quality, a good suit is going to be made of high quality wool, with an equally high quality silk inner lining. To be honest most people aren't going to be able to tell the difference unless your some kind of expert (i.e. no one going to bschool). A trick to spotting cheap suits is to look for the stitching that goes at an angle, midway up the lapel, grasp the fabric on the front side of the lapel and on the back side, near the stitch, and pull them away from each other - if they come apart, you have a glued-together suit in your hands. There are other considerations such as stiching and buttons, but for the most part you have to look on the inside of the suit to see most of this.

I personally like Z Zenga suits because I'm a slender (better word for skinny) guy. I can take a $200 suit to my tailor and he can make the suit look exactly the same (after $200). So for about $400 I can get the exact same look as a $1400 (blufly.com regularly $2000). The only difference is that the $400 version won't last as long. But no one here or in any bschool interview is going to be able to tell the difference.

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 0

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 04 Nov 2008
Posts: 254

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 12

Schools: Booth 2012
Re: suit for interview [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2008, 16:17
I know a handful of CEOs of multibillion dollar companies... Bankers WAY outdress them.

You really don't want to make any sort of statement with your clothes. Nice enough so that they don't notice you look cheap, and not so nice that they think you're pretentious/trying too hard. Anything in between is fine.



agold wrote:
kryzak wrote:
BTW, just throwing this out there for those people applying to a West Coast school. from what I've seen, unless you're going for banking, the brand or "expensiveness" of a suit doesn't really matter. Just make sure it's fitted correctly (tailor it if it doesn't fit well!), navy/grey/or even black, and you're not "trying to hard" with pocket squares, loud ties, etc... and you'll be fine.

I've RARELY seen anyone in full suits here at Haas, and for those who wear suits, it's pretty traditional looking.


I agree, and this is just not a West Coast phenomenom. Bankers are ridiculously snooty about clothes. Other professions - not so much. Put it this way - your typical associate/vice president-level bankers will likely be dressed about on par with the CEO of a $1B company. If you're interviewing with the CEO of $1B company or the Division Head of a $1B business within an F500 - don't outdress him :)

This is a funny parody of bankers (taken from the book "Damn It Feels Good to be a Banker"):

Intern: http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak- ... 5_9970.jpg

Analyst/Associate: http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak- ... 3_9502.jpg

MD: http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak- ... 56_218.jpg

Bottom line:

If you're interested in consulting, general management, marketing - anything except for Finance - you'll be fine with something from Jos A Bank or that caliber. If you're interested in Finance, you'll still be fine with something from Jos A Bank or that caliber for your staples, but you may be smart to invest in one nice suit (Hickey Freeman or so) for first round interviews and first impressions.

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 12

Re: suit for interview   [#permalink] 15 Dec 2008, 16:17

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   [ 189 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

suit for interview

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: OasisGC, aeropower, bb10



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.