It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 22:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

suit for interview

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2007, 21:40
You guys are hilarious =)
And just what's WRONG with wearing my Iron Maiden t-shirt under my dress shirt?!!! Isn't that a good way to stand out amongst the Indian crowd? How many Indians know the lyrics to 'Aces High'?

Another question -- is a black suit a gaffe? Almost everyone has suggested royal blue or dark grey, but I think black looks better.

Thanks for all the advice -- will keep everything in mind when I buy the suit.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2007, 21:55
Wear black if it makes you feel more confident.

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 483 [0], given: 0

Schools: Darden
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2007, 02:04
I have never thought that black was appropriate for a business suit. It should be worn at weddings and funerals. Some navy suits are almost black under certain light if you want a really dark suit.

I tried to find a reference for this, and found the following guideline from GQ:

http://men.style.com/gq/fashion/stylegu ... lazers/595

Basically, they say that it's not forbidden, and some guys are able to carry it off; but people that wear black suits often give off the vibe that they are a priest or at a funeral. If you wear a black suit, you will stick out, and not blend in. My conclusion is don't do it for an interview. The last thing you want to do is stick out because of your clothes.

Last edited by pelihu on 09 Mar 2007, 02:15, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 483 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Schools: Ross, Kellogg, Darden (i/v)
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2007, 02:06
drucker_fan wrote:
You guys are hilarious =)
And just what's WRONG with wearing my Iron Maiden t-shirt under my dress shirt?!!! Isn't that a good way to stand out amongst the Indian crowd? How many Indians know the lyrics to 'Aces High'?

Another question -- is a black suit a gaffe? Almost everyone has suggested royal blue or dark grey, but I think black looks better.

Thanks for all the advice -- will keep everything in mind when I buy the suit.

On the D-day I don't think you'll be able to sing Aces High, coz of the "Fear of the interview" :-D

PS (off topic): Maiden will be in Bangalore (yes, you read it right) on 17th March!!

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2007, 02:25
Wear this! You will definately stand out!

http://www.diwansaheb.com/glpcat/clnt_p ... d=10015302

VP
VP

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2007, 02:27

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2007, 06:46
I agree w/ Pelihu, black suits have many associations: funerals, weddings, secret service...

I think grey is the way to go because then you can wear black shoes and you're good to go. Theres is some moderate disagreement on whether you should wear dark brown or black shoes w/ a navy suit. But with charcoal/grey you can't go wrong w/ black shoes.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2007, 06:50
I disagree... I mean I have heard the argument against black many times... but in the business world black has become very standard in recent years. I think black is a great color and guy in a good black suit makes me think of business... not funerals.

Director
Director

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2007, 06:56
Mark - I guess I don't personally have those associations w/ a black suit (I'm pretty oblivious to details like what people are wearing), but I'm speaking more from what I've heard other people say.

I wear a black suit to meetings all the time, and once in a while someone will make a joke about me wearing a "power-suit" or something because they think it looks more formal than the navy, brown, light grey suits that other people are wearing.

Director
Director

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2007, 06:58
Nothing wrong with going for "power" at an interview. :)

The association with weddings and funerals deal seems sort of "old skool" to me... Reminds me of that nonsense like no white after labor day and black after memorial day or whatever those crazy rules are that grandparents go for. :)

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2007, 06:59
Mark4124 wrote:
I disagree... I mean I have heard the argument against black many times... but in the business world black has become very standard in recent years. I think black is a great color and guy in a good black suit makes me think of business... not funerals.

Black suits are less common in the US but definitely standard business attire in Europe. I think the best way to make it look less like funeral garb is avoid wearing a plain white shirt or to at least have a good tie to go with it and of course making sure its very well tailored. It looks bad if the shoulders aren't snug.

Last edited by dukes on 09 Mar 2007, 07:02, edited 1 time in total.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society

Kudos [?]: 2208 [0], given: 7

Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Premium Member
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2007, 07:01
I actually also subscribe to the funeral crowd. I think black suits look sad, they just remind me of funerals, I dont know. Dark navy suits, on the other hand, you'll note, everyone agrees are fine - so why bother risking a black one?

Director
Director

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2007, 07:01
I'm pretty bad w/ color coordinating. Can you wear a blue shirt and say maybe a red tie with a black suit?

Director
Director

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2007, 07:04
rhyme wrote:
I actually also subscribe to the funeral crowd. I think black suits look sad, they just remind me of funerals, I dont know. Dark navy suits, on the other hand, you'll note, everyone agrees are fine - so why bother risking a black one?

Navy suits are conservative and borderline bland.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2007, 07:08
johnnyx9 wrote:
I'm pretty bad w/ color coordinating. Can you wear a blue shirt and say maybe a red tie with a black suit?

Go grab the stuff you have in mind, lay it down on the bed, put the blue shirt into the suit, and throw the tie on top of the blue shirt. Take a photo of that, and I'll know :)

Generally speaking, yes, blue black and red will work.

Director
Director

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2007, 07:10
I don't think that navy and grey are as striking as black. Black says you mean business.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2007, 07:11
What they said.

I don't associate black with funerals and as mentioned, the shirt is the key with black suits. A light grey or lavender shirt as opposed to a white one is the way to go. Another bonus of a black suit is the versatility - you can use it as formal and business attire. It can be dressed up or down depending on the shirt and tie.

dukes wrote:
Mark4124 wrote:

Black suits are less common in the US but definitely standard business attire in Europe. I think the best way to make it look less like funeral garb is avoid wearing a plain white shirt or to at least have a good tie to go with it and of course making sure its very well tailored. It looks bad if the shoulders aren't snug.

Director
Director

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2007, 07:15
The next question: Pleats or no pleats? Recent trend has moved away from pleats, but what do you guys think?

Intern
Intern

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2007, 07:17
dukes wrote:
The next question: Pleats or no pleats? Recent trend has moved away from pleats, but what do you guys think?

No pleats for sure. I find pleats fluff up the waist area and I prefer the simpler, cleaner, sleeker look of no pleats.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2007, 07:18
Phooey wrote:
What they said.

I don't associate black with funerals and as mentioned, the shirt is the key with black suits. A light grey or lavender shirt as opposed to a white one is the way to go. Another bonus of a black suit is the versatility - you can use it as formal and business attire. It can be dressed up or down depending on the shirt and tie.

dukes wrote:
Mark4124 wrote:

Ok ok...

How about this:

Black suits are OK if you like them
Navy Blue suits are OK if you like them

Deal? :)

[#permalink] 09 Mar 2007, 07:18

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10    Next  [ 189 posts ] 

suit for interview

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap