Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 18:12 It is currently 05 May 2024, 18:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Haas '14 (S)
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:IMD, Insead, HEC, IE
 Q47  V35
WE 1: 8 years
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Concentration: General
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: IMD 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
ligett wrote:
Hey folks

While you're waiting for you calls or maybe packing your stuff, let me ask you this:

In Economist's summary of IMD (https://www.economist.com/whichmba/2010/imd) they say something like that:

Criteria .............................................................Rank (out of 100)
Open new career opportunities..................................10

What does that mean - 10 out of 100? Cannot believe it...

And there is a lot of similar numbers:
Student assessment of careers service = 2
Student quality = 18
Increase in salary = 7
etc

Do you know how to read these numbers?

It is the place of IMD among top 100 business schools according to selected criteria.
Not a bad place :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Concentration: General
Send PM
skitalac wrote:
It is the place of IMD among top 100 business schools according to selected criteria.
Not a bad place :)

Got it, sounds much better now!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
If we thought IMD's character restrictions were something, read this about Stanford who will not be accepting MBA applications via Twitter - https://bit.ly/eOJslO
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
Expert Reply
batman9999: you should check the date of the article ;)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
tohin wrote:
batman9999: you should check the date of the article ;)

Good one huh?? :)

On another note, does anyone else think that IMD taking a month and half to review applications is way too long?? I mean May 13th is light years away.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Quality of education and faculty. How good are they? Are they excellent or just good. All of them? Most of them? Some of them?
I loved the sample lectures I found on youtube, and they were one of the major reasons for my choice of the MBA program. But these are just samples, how is it in real life?

As with any top business schools there are going to be stars and superstars. But generally the majority of the faculty here are excellent, and my personal opinion is that there is a much stronger opportunity to learn from them out of class.

If you come over to Lausanne for the interview you'll get to sit in for a class. We're just starting the 2nd block of classes (exams ended today) so I can't say exactly what they'll be like, but so far its really a case of what you see is what you get... we've had classes which seemed deja vu given we've seen that lecture on youtube. But to answer you again... its really what you've seen on youtube, and even better sometimes!

On a sidenote, I think the peer learning here is probably underrated; easily 50% of what i've learnt so far has come from my classmates

Budget: on the IMD website they say the following:

CHF 60,000 - tuition
CHF 25,000 - all program and project related fees, including books and course materials, the discovery expedition and weekday on-campus lunches, excluding personal expenses.
(fees may be subject to adjustments)

It just makes me wonder, whether an expedition or two plus the books plus lunches may cost that much! And that's excluding personal expenses.

I haven't exactly calculated the cost for every individual item, and also not to spoil the surprise for the class of 2012, but I think what we're getting for the 25k is a really good deal. I can say one thing about the lunches thou... they're AWESOME! If you get a chance to visit and join us for lunch, you'll see what I mean.

Budget again: Personal living expenses - what a family (2 people) budget should be in Lausanne for a year? On the web-site they say 36,000 CHF for a single person. I just wonder if it should be x2 or x1.5 for two. I'm thinking of not too moderate life, maybe dining in cafes twice a week, going on a trip to Milan once a month, etc.

Hard for me to answer since I came by myself, but so far my personal expenses look to be less than the 36k. I think a big part will end up going to your apartment because you'd probably want a slightly bigger place for the family.

[b]Employability of non-EU students[/b]: How good or bad are the prospects of non-EU students? Is it hard to get a job outside of Switzerland? Is it hard to get a job in Switzerland? Is it hard to obtain a work permit in practice?
How about languages, is English and mediocre French or German would be enough to secure a job in Switzerland?

Recruitment hasn't started yet so I can't really answer. Personally I'm a non-EU citizen myself but I don't foresee alot of difficulty in obtaining a work permit. That aside I'm looking to move back to Asia post-MBA anyway.

From what we've seen from the alumni, its not too hard to secure a job offer; of course that depends on what you're looking to do when you graduate. Career services will have loads to say to you during the course of the year on strategies for the job search, and they'll be especially useful if you're looking to stay in Switzerland or EU in general.

First salary: the published salary figures are around 110-120K USD. Is that more or less true for the just-out-of-school student?

At last check for the last class it was slightly higher than this, maybe in the region of 125k, but this was in January before all the numbers had come back, so I'd say its more or less accurate, maybe with a tolerance of about 10%?

ICP Project: was it interesting? was it helpful? was it worth it?

Preparation starts in June for us, and we'll go on site when we return from the Discovery Expedition in August. Can't really answer this one as we haven't started it yet, but its one of the most eagerly anticipated projects of the year.

We are in the midst of our start-up projects, where we work with various start ups. The idea of this to provide clearly added value to the companies (different companies have different requirements), and honestly this project is extremely interesting! (one of the startups is run by one of our classmates focusing on social work in Mongolia). It also ties in what we learn in the course of the first few months with practical hands on work.

What's your opinion: If I'm offered an Associate Consultant position with the Big4 consulting houses, and that's what I'd aim for as my first job after IMD, is the education at IMD still worth it?
I know it's all quite subjective, still I'd like to know your opinion. I wonder if the education per se outweighs the role of consultant for the same period of time. My feeling that the job may be just as good for obtaining skills and experience.

Strange you should ask, I had a friend who was in that exact same position. Well not exactly as the offer was for a more senior position. But to give you the short answer, he's now my classmate and neighbor. I know IMD spoke to him at length to explain why coming to IMD to do the MBA was more worth it than taking the job.

I think part of it is due to the formal training an MBA gives you, but also as an MBA grad, you do enter at a more senior level as a consultant and not just an assoc. consultant. If you like I can try to put you in touch with him, drop me a PM or something with your details.
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
IMD2012T wrote:
I got the call this morning. Just one week after the interview. I am extremely happy !

Got a seat as well. I was interviewed on March, 28 and got the call on April, 7 ... I'm very likely to accept the offer! (got admitted from Oxford, Cambridge and Insead as well)

Here is my profile:
Italian / Engineer / 32 / 7 yrs of work experience at a major O&G company / GMAT 700

Let me know if you have any question regarding the interview experience ... I definitely think you can prepare for it (also for the impromptu presentation!)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 154 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
andreasperelli wrote:
IMD2012T wrote:
I got the call this morning. Just one week after the interview. I am extremely happy !

Got a seat as well. I was interviewed on March, 28 and got the call on April, 7 ... I'm very likely to accept the offer! (got admitted from Oxford, Cambridge and Insead as well)

Here is my profile:
Italian / Engineer / 32 / 7 yrs of work experience at a major O&G company / GMAT 700

Let me know if you have any question regarding the interview experience ... I definitely think you can prepare for it (also for the impromptu presentation!)

What are the main reasons you are choosing IMD over Oxbridge :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Many congratulations Andreas. It must be great hearing from IMD. I will ask the same question as Ivan. Why IMD over Insead?

Can you please also share your interview experience? I have heard that it is hectic. Did you interview on campus? Also I would love to hear about your notes on how one should go about preparing for it?
Own Kudos [?]: [1]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Kudos
anapplicant wrote:
Many congratulations Andreas. It must be great hearing from IMD. I will ask the same question as Ivan. Why IMD over Insead?

Can you please also share your interview experience? I have heard that it is hectic. Did you interview on campus? Also I would love to hear about your notes on how one should go about preparing for it?

Here are my tips:

1 - Interview : it will be long and with several questions ... be ready for the instant classics (why an MBA , why IMD, why now ..etc) but also for something more specific (How would your boss or your peers describe you? What are the traits of a leader? ...). Try not to answer by the book (e.g. summarizing an article from HBR) but rather personalize the answer based on something really happened to you (e.g. I think a leaders needs to be compassionate, because when I worked as ... bla bla)

2 - Case Study : read and re-read it ... do not kill yourself with the financial simulation (it is not expected) ... just make sure you have a strong understanding of what is going on (if needed do a summary or put all the key figures on an excel file) ... I found helpful to have a quick summary to refer to as we were discussing vs. flipping all the 12 pages to find the specific info. Here I think the key is to show participation ... be engaged but do not dominate the discussion (unless this is the real you!) ... no role play just be natural

3 - Impromptu presentation: since I do not have a biz background I found helpful reading the book "Case in point" ... I think it provides several frameworks that will make you more confident and faster ... here speed is key , you have only 30 mins. If you have the book , read the case on pag. 121 ... I got something similar!

Re. Insead vs. IMD I think they are both great schools ... you cannot go wrong either way ... however I see INSEAD as more focused on consultancy whereas IMD has stronger connections with the industry ... then INSEAD has 400+ students a year ... do you think that <<leaders can be mass-produced>> ? …( quote from IMD’s brochure) … :)

good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Andreas made a good summary, so not much to add...
Just be yourself at the interview, relax and do not panic. Interviewers are very friendly and not going to pass you through stress interview.

The thing which worked for me is summarizing key points on each 'classic' interview question on one paper sheet (e.g. stranghts, weaknesses, leadership example, why mba, why imd, leadership, failure, conflict, teamwork...) - it will help a lot when answering the questions. You may be nervous and simply forget something. For example, this summary helped me to answer questions about teamwork and conflict at work.

When preparing for a case study, simply try to understand what may be the key question/issue (e.g. how to enter the market, what marketing strategy would you recommend, what are the next steps for the company etc.) It is not about testing your business skills but checking how you think and make conclusions. Basically, there is no need to prepare any sofisticated reports at all - it does not work. Just make some notes summarizing product features, customer, market and your recommendations. Other things will cristallized during a case discussion in a class.

During the interview try to be initiative but not self-oriented. Speak and let others speak. Try to facilitate others, lesten to them carefully, fix their ideas, explain yours. It is about working in a team.

And good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello everybody,

Anyone from Argentina that plans to apply?

I present myself. My name is Andres, I come from Argentina. I worked in marketing and came to Europe 5 years ago to do a master degree in Energy. I lived in Spain, Netherlands, France, Italy and now I am working in an energy company in Switzerland. IMD is my main objective and my Gmat score doesn’t help me. I took it some days ago with low score and planning to retake it in next months.

Anybody knows how IMD handle low Gmat scores? They consider the application if interesting and request to re apply to increase the score or which is their approach?

Kind regards,
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Schools:IE Nov. 2011
 Q47  V41
Send PM
Andres1504 wrote:
Hello everybody,

I present myself. My name is Andres, I come from Argentina. I worked in marketing and came to Europe 5 years ago to do a master degree in Energy. I lived in Spain, Netherlands, France, Italy and now I am working in an energy company in Switzerland. IMD is my main objective and my Gmat score doesn’t help me. I took it some days ago with low score and planning to retake it in next months.

Anybody knows how IMD handle low Gmat scores? They consider the application if interesting and request to re apply to increase the score or which is their approach?

Kind regards,

For IMD GMAT is not as important as it is for other schools, provided you have a balanced profile (work and international experience). What's your score?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[quote="mertvye"][quote="Andres1504"]Hello everybody,

Originally posted by Andres1504 on 11 Apr 2011, 03:12.
Last edited by Andres1504 on 14 Apr 2011, 11:20, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Schools:IE Nov. 2011
 Q47  V41
Send PM
Andres1504 wrote:

Well, i had the exam last Saturday, it was the first time i took it and i prepear it in 3 month since i wanted to apply to the April dead line. I got 530. At home i had Q40 V22, in the real exam i got Q31 V30. I belive that with some more month i can get over 600, but i dont know how IMD manage this things.

Yes, I would recommend you to get it over 600 and more precisely at least to score 650.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Andreas and Skilatac,

Thanks a lot for your excellent summary and useful tips of the interview process. They are very useful indeed for all future candidates.

Congratulations once again for your selection.
Intern
Intern
Schools:IMD, Insead, HEC, IE
 Q47  V35
WE 1: 8 years
Send PM
Andreas and Skilatac:
Great pointers indeed, Thanks a ton for them...!
Hoping to make use of some of them while I await my 'any' notification from the adcom.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts