Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 19:58 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22054 [4]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1807 [0]
Given Kudos: 203
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 386 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Accounting, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Re: Plateaued at V34. [#permalink]
Sanjana0202 wrote:
Hello,

I need some advice on improving my Verbal score. I have been consistently scoring V34 in the mocks I've been taking. Now, before I present my results, I wanted to let you know that I'll be taking my GMAT on 7th October, so I'm extremely short on time. I understand that at this point, I won't be going to a V45 but I just want to ensure that I'm doing everything I can and I want to know if there's anything better I can do.

1) GMAT Prep 1 - 700 (Q49 V35)
2) Veritas 1 - 670 (Q48 V34)
3) MGMAT 1 - 640 (Q43 V34) (Some unexpected factors affected my Quant score)
4) Veritas 2 - 680 (Q50 V33)

My error log shows that my weak sections are RC and CR. SC is relatively strong with only 2-3 mistakes (rarely 4).
My current strategy for RC is to read and understand the entire passage (skimming didn't do it for me) and most of my RC mistakes are due to a poor understanding of the passage (too dense too little time so I tend to rush) and timing issues.
For CR, I try to pre-think as much as I can. But I haven't been able to put my finger on what makes me pick the wrong answer.

I haven't studied from any of the guides so I'm possibly missing out on a bunch of tips and tricks. I've only used the OG and the free resources on the Internet. I did check out the post 'How to Improve Verbal from V30 to V40' but it didn't help as much.

I would at the very least like to reach V40. Feel free to tell me if I'm aiming too high. Thank you :)

You may consider watching "Thursday with RON" for RC. He has made seven videos on RC. he showed beautifully how to read long and technical passages.
do you know why GMAT exam test RC? it's not because they want you to understand everything, its because they want to test your ability of "not to get into details but still got the main point" . SO watch his videos. I personally find them helpful.
good luck.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
Send PM
Plateaued at V34. [#permalink]
Read understand entire passage at a goal? Geez! that’s not what Gmat expect of you. You have to be smart I second Rashedvai ,Kindly go to YouTube and download Thursday’s with Ron watch the RC and CR videos Infact watch his SC videos too though you strong in it Those videos are gold
Sanjana0202 wrote:
Hello,

I need some advice on improving my Verbal score. I have been consistently scoring V34 in the mocks I've been taking. Now, before I present my results, I wanted to let you know that I'll be taking my GMAT on 7th October, so I'm extremely short on time. I understand that at this point, I won't be going to a V45 but I just want to ensure that I'm doing everything I can and I want to know if there's anything better I can do.

My error log shows that my weak sections are RC and CR. SC is relatively strong with only 2-3 mistakes (rarely 4).
My current strategy for RC is to read and understand the entire passage (skimming didn't do it for me) and most of my RC mistakes are due to a poor understanding of the passage (too dense too little time so I tend to rush) and timing issues.
For CR, I try to pre-think as much as I can. But I haven't been able to put my finger on what makes me pick the wrong answer.

I haven't studied from any of the guides so I'm possibly missing out on a bunch of tips and tricks. I've only used the OG and the free resources on the Internet. I did check out the post 'How to Improve Verbal from V30 to V40' but it didn't help as much.

I would at the very least like to reach V40. Feel free to tell me if I'm aiming too high. Thank you :)

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
ScottTargetTestPrep,

Thank you so much for your detailed and helpful response. I really appreciate you taking the time and effort to answer my question. I'll be sure to implement the strategies you mentioned during my prep. I'm confident it'll improve my score as I completely agree with what you have suggested. Hopefully, I'll be posting a debrief (a happy one) soon. Once again, thank you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 398 [0]
Given Kudos: 120
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
That's an excellent advice. I personally have seen every Thursday with Ron episode for SC and now I can confidently say that I can solve any SC.

For indians, time invested in reading and getting the meaning of RC is slightly more than time for native speakers. The time saved in solving sc questions has been a big help

RashedVai wrote:
Sanjana0202 wrote:
Hello,

You may consider watching "Thursday with RON" for RC. He has made seven videos on RC. he showed beautifully how to read long and technical passages.
do you know why GMAT exam test RC? it's not because they want you to understand everything, its because they want to test your ability of "not to get into details but still got the main point" . SO watch his videos. I personally find them helpful.
good luck.

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2224 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 2.77
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22054 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sanjana0202 wrote:
ScottTargetTestPrep,

Thank you so much for your detailed and helpful response. I really appreciate you taking the time and effort to answer my question. I'll be sure to implement the strategies you mentioned during my prep. I'm confident it'll improve my score as I completely agree with what you have suggested. Hopefully, I'll be posting a debrief (a happy one) soon. Once again, thank you.

My pleasure!!
GMAT Club Bot