Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:45 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
GPA: 4
WE:Business Development (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE:Business Development (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fellows Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2019! [#permalink]
SloanFellow19 wrote:
nitinsharma1212 wrote:
Looks like Adcom is busy with Sloan's 2 year MBA. Lots of activity on that thread.. :-)

Natural thing. much bigger class and much lower yield rate, but keep in mind a lot of Sloan Fellows applicants don't contribute or even look at any online forums..they are different than those of 2 Year MBAs applicants..

Agree - Best is to just wait.. :-) :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.66
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fellows Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2019! [#permalink]
Kudos
Hello all,

I am curious to hear from applicants to Sloan Fellows on why they chose the program over the standard, two-year Sloan MBA. There is some information online about Fellows, but I have not seen any discussions about the thought process people have when they decide one program over the other. I am curious to hear why you are applying to Fellows over the two-year program, particularly if anyone is on the younger side for Fellows (early-30's).

Thank you and I look forward to hearing your stories.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [2]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Kudos
All due respect, I try to answer your question in another way. According to the statistics of current fellows program students, average age is 38 and average WE is 14. Most fellows are at mid-age and in mid-career. Time is very valuable to them. They will rather spend one year in a very intensive environment than two years in a casual one. Why? 55% of them are self sponsered, which means they will have no income for one year. That means a lot to many of them, especially those with young kids.

Yes, early 30's is too old to be admitted by 2-year MBA program and too young to be admitted by Fellows or EMBA program. What I suggest these friends to do is preparing yourselves continuously. As you may find in previous posts, you may need to prepare EA test. You may need to fulfill your resume. You may need to discover more energy to be admitted in the future. Furthermore, applying Fellows may take chances. Maybe something will happen to interrupt your application in the future. No one can predict that. Just prepare yourself for the future!

Filthydelphia wrote:
Hello all,

I am curious to hear from applicants to Sloan Fellows on why they chose the program over the standard, two-year Sloan MBA. There is some information online about Fellows, but I have not seen any discussions about the thought process people have when they decide one program over the other. I am curious to hear why you are applying to Fellows over the two-year program, particularly if anyone is on the younger side for Fellows (early-30's).

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Cannot agree anymore! I can only find less than 10 ( actually less than 5 ) real EA test scores online. I do believe much fewer candidates choose EMBA-level program than regular MBA program and just some of them take EA test.
So, maybe adcom needs to wait for several years to get enough data.

BTW, if you go back to the posts of MIT SF Class 2018, you will find one interesting thing. Page 7 was around March or April 2017, which means we have much more discussions this year. Maybe EA does play a very important role!

SloanFellow19 wrote:
nitinsharma1212 wrote:
Looks like Adcom is busy with Sloan's 2 year MBA. Lots of activity on that thread.. :-)

Natural thing. much bigger class and much lower yield rate, but keep in mind a lot of Sloan Fellows applicants don't contribute or even look at any online forums..they are different than those of 2 Year MBAs applicants..

Originally posted by fourleaf on 20 Dec 2017, 10:03.
Last edited by fourleaf on 20 Dec 2017, 10:09, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [1]
Given Kudos: 74
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE:Business Development (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos
Filthydelphia wrote:
Hello all,

Hello there,

It is an old and continuous debate about the one year vs two year MBAs, or when doing the MBA earlier with 1 to 3 years of experience or later with 8 to 10 years, ...etc. For me, it is straightforward and simple, I wanted to do the MBA when I felt I really need it to make a genuine move. That feeling comes in different time for different people. Don't compare with any other person, Only compare yourself with yourself, everyone is different and everyone is in different stage and timing. (https://www.worldpulse.com/en/community/ ... osts/74996)

On practical note, two year MBA is better with early career folks with high ability of switching with minimum cost, while the one year MBA is good for people looking for an accelerator, mostly in the same direction, because it is high cost to make turn, although not impossible.

Here is some useful links on why many applicants are interested in these special programs (MIT Sloan Fellows, STanford MSx, USC IBEAR, ..ect)

1- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-gs3kS3FXs
2- https://fxmbaconsulting.com/analysis/emb ... -programs/
3- https://poetsandquantsforexecs.com/2013 ... sq-content

Enjoy..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.66
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Great perspective, fourleaf, and helpful links, SloanFellow19. Appreciate the help and curious if any other admittees or applicants have more to add or other perspectives.

Has anyone originally planned to do a two-year but changed their mind for Fellows? Was there anything in particular that you thought Fellows offered over the two-year? Is it usually simply recognizing that Fellows is a better fit or was it a practical decision due to age, experience, etc.? Just curious to hear a personal story on why Fellows over the two-year programs Sloan and other schools offer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Hey guys,
since most of us are still waiting for the R2 result, maybe we can have a brainstorm of why adcom delays this year. I have the following ideas and you may support or weaken any of them if you want.

1. too many applicants: The number of applicants this year is much MORE than what adcom can afford. The staffs work so hard and even work until midnight and weekend to review all documents but still need more time to finish all of application documents. That's why the results are not announced so far.

2. too few applicants: The number of applicants this year is much LESS than before. The staffs decide to wait for several weeks so that they can move R3 candidates to R2. That's why the results are not announced so far.

3. Christmas and new year holidays: Due to the change of application requirements, the results were subjected to be announced later than before. However, some of adcom staffs may leave for holidays by couples days before Dec 23, there is no sufficient manpower in the office. That's why the results are not announced so far.

4. Nothing special: the interview for R2 are scheduled through the entire January. There is still sufficient time for staffs and applicants to schedule and prepare for interviews. That's why the results are not announced so far.

So, how do your guys think?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I think we all have to relax, its only been 3 weeks since we submitted our application, the whole process is 10 weeks, if you look at the past experiences of people who got admitted, they had an interview and knew the result in 3 days. The worst case is that you keep your current job and get on with life, which isnt such a bad thing after all
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V33
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Hi Everyone,

I see that a lot of discussions are going on here regarding the R2 especially regarding the EA scores. And I'm seeking your advice I'm about the submit my application for the extended R2 deadline but I'm hesitating to postpone for R3 because I scored 149 to the EA and I'm thinking of repassing the test again. I'm a little bit disappointed and I'm not sure that will meet SF requirements. Any thoughts?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
What extended deadline ?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Today 3pm EST I still have 40 mins to submit
Manager
Manager
Send PM
They sent special emails ? For interested candidates ?

Manager
Manager
Send PM
I don't know if the mail was special or not? But all applicants willing to apply for R2 are aware of this extended deadline. I heard that it 's mainly because many applicants didn't have the time to book the test
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Ok ,

on the EA, I was told by the admissions director not to attempt it more than once , as it’s a diagnostic, I have a 151 FYI

Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thx for the feedback I've submitted my application I wish you good luck
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thx for the feedback I've submitted my application. When did you apply ?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
On 3rd Dec , R2 deadline , did you have a pre application chat with adcom ?

GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  32   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts