Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 15:19 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 15:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [1]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Profile evaluation [#permalink]
Any comment would be appreciate here.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: 99colleges.com
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: Wharton
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Tanachote,

Your GPA is low, but, as you’ve mentioned, you’ve some reasons to explain it, which you might have articulated in your optional essay. The saving grace is your strong GMAT score, which, along with explanation for your GPA, should cover lot of ground for you. After this score, I wouldn’t bother to build an alternate transcript through any extension course.

I see some problems with your professional goals. If your goal is to start an IB and advisory firm in Thailand (I think that’s the region you mean), why would you join back your current firm? Why can’t you straightaway do that after working in IB for few years? To the best of my knowledge, Thailand does have presence of few top IB firms. You can work there or in Singapore, which is SE Asia headquarter for most consulting and IB firms, and work on deals in Thailand from there.

A deeper point, however, is your long-term goal of establishing an IB and advisory shop. Unless you think of something boutique, niche, some gap in the market, it’s tough to compete with the big names, who’ve built their brands and crucial relationships on both supply and demand side over decades. And it’s difficult to expand into saturated international markets without a brand or boatload of capital (it’s hard to raise money for consulting). (The likes of Uber can enter international markets because they’re largely untapped or underserved. That’s why so much of scramble to capture market share.) This is basic stuff, and you need to think through these things. Many don't.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
99Colleges
This is a good point. Thank you for your advice.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [1]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi sorry for the delay in my response, I would not have imagined that it was on a 4-point scale so I guess yes that's really not an option. Before you jump to the conclusion that you were dinged from Kellogg because of your grades I think you should get some professional opinions on your application. I'm like 99% sure that's actually the problem, investigate references get a critical eye on your CV look at your essays but also your application responses all of these things are very important. And have the potential to sway them with regards to your grades if you also provide this explanation in the optional essay. I think your time would be better spent working with an advisor on putting together a compelling application package for Booth and some other schools then sitting in a classroom for several years hoping that what you're doing is a good use of your time. With your GMAT, I don't really think the grades are going to hold you back. There are probably some schools that have a specific cut off so you should apply liberally to the top 10, maybe 15, but I think that was some they would be open to listening and as you have solid demonstration of quants skills and would be considered viable.

https://MBAPrepCoach.com
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2063 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Tanachote wrote:
Dear admission consultants

I need objective feedbacks about my profile. My aim is to enter a school such as Chicago Booth. I like Chicago Booth because it is a finance school with a great culture. Also, the intellectual aspect of school seems fit most to my present self.

My main weakness is 2.8 GPA.

I am a native Thai guy (No LGBT) who relied on Thai education system. I entered international program at Chulalongkorn University, one of the top business schools in Thailand. In the first year, I devoted all my time to practice music to join national big band, so I got 2.2 because of extracurricular activities and language barrier. I committed more than 30 hours per week to secure the guitarist position of this band. I got D in statistic and English writing classes because I focused on musical activities. I improved my GPA from 2.2 to 3.3 in the fourth year, in which I studied the most advance class. I got top score in some classes such as marketing and business strategy. Throughout second to fourth year, I committed about 20 hours per week to practice music with my band. My band played in national televised concerts and several concerts in Thai Red Cross events. I led my band to complete my music album. People I encountered (Professional musicians with awards in Thailand) love my songs and encourage me to become a pop singer. My goal is to develop business knowledge, so I don't become a full time musician. I wrote musical theme essay in this year, but failed to convince admission committees.

My GMAT 750 (q50, v41, ir6, away 4.5)

Because of my upward academic performance, I am motivated to get above 700 GMAT. With the right preparation, I scored 750 last year. However, I applied to Kellogg this year and get a ding.(2.5 years work experience at Big 4 accounting firm in my country, with senior associate auditor job title)

My work experience
After the rejection, I plan to work in my firm for another 2 years and get a CPA. I will take a secondment (Audit) in HK or SG office to develop international experience. If it is necessary to improve my profile, I will transfer to TS department.

GOAL
After the MBA program, I want to work for top investment banking in US, Hong Kong or Singapore to develop expertise in finance. Then, I want to transfer back to my firm in deals department to get a fast promotion. (Not many opportunities in investment banking is available in my country though) Then, I plan to establish an investment banking and advisory shop in my country, with the goal to transform the platform with new innovation and expand offices to other Asia Pacific countries.

I want to ask whether I need to develop alternative transcript. Would UCLA extension or HBX core be a better idea than taking MS finance in my country? What is the most effective way to deal with my weakness.

Sorry for some typos.

I want to know how to address all my weaknesses. All suggestions are welcome.

Posted from my mobile device

Hey dude, you have an awesome GMAT there, but M7 schools will be tough always with your profile - A very low GPA (3.6 is the average, and anything below 3.3 is trouble) and your work experience is good but not necessarily top-notch.

An "alternative transcript" is at best a minor help. Actually you have already done the best thing you can - get an a amazingly high GMAT. At this point I would just suggest opening up your school list to Top 20 and writing amazing applications, and I'm sure you will get some results!

Best,
GMAT Club Bot