Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 00:02 It is currently 05 May 2024, 00:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
jjsd509 wrote:
Hi Paul -

Thanks for your thoughts. Sorry to be bugging you during your busy season. I'm not in a rush, so please feel free to take your time with a response.

I'm curious if you're being overly optimistic or if you really do think I have good chance at those schools? I won't be offended with a negative response, I promise! To be honest I thought being white, male and working in Finance would throw me into a pretty competitive, non-diverse, pool with a bunch of overachieving ibankers in NYC.

I signed up for the Manhattan GMAT class to hopefully stay on track to pass the 700 hurdle. I'm curious if you have suggestions on how to make my profile/"story" stand out a bit more? I have a couple of years to build my profile (professionally and personally) before heading off to school and am willing to do what ever is needed!

Thanks again!

jjsd509,

You have things going for you that other 'common' applicants don't: like putting yourself through school, entrepreneurial experience, interesting extracurriculars, and good self-presentation skills (so far as I can judge). You don't need to do specific things--just continue what you're doing: ramp it up gradually. Leadership and impact are obviously very important, followed by distinctiveness, which can come from many things, like extracurriculars, overseas experience, etc.

Good luck,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hi Paul -

I am the original poster... I ended up getting a 690 on the GMAT. I'm pretty disappointed, considering I was score between 720-770 on the GMAT Prep practice tests. Anyways, 690 is sort of an iffy score to me. After a lot of thought I was considering applying to Chicago, Northwestern, NYU, and Columbia, but want to know if I need to retake the GMAT to have an above average shot. I recognize that all of those schools are extremely competitive, so 690 may be a killer (combined with my 3.2 gpa).

Note: all professional/extracurricular/etc originally stated are the same and I did get the promotion I was expecting. I probably won't apply for another 2 years (hoping to catch the upswing in the recession and a less competitive applicant pool).

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Were both your scores above the 80th percentile? If so, then you could still aim for those schools.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yes.

48 Q - 85th%
36 V - 80th%

That is skirting the edge though. Money/time isn't too big of a concern if it's the difference in me getting into one of the stated programs. I was scoring in the 48-50 range in quant in all my practice tests and 36-44 in verbal. I just wanted to know if it'll be a waste of my time if I'm only going to marginally improve my score to say a 700-720.

Thanks for your quick response. I received the email notice about your response (explaining my quick reply!).
Send PM
Expert Reply
The two 80th+ percentiles will be reassuring to the schools, but if you haven't taken the GMAT more than twice and/or if you plan to wait to apply in fall 2009, then you might want to take one more shot at raising that score. At the schools you're targeting every little bit helps.
GMAT Club Bot