Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 18:20 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Sia Admissions Representative
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation - Chartered Accountant from India [#permalink]
A few thoughts on your profile MG1902:
  1. The articleship sounds ok and usually a standard - was that with a big4? Read here on how articleship is treated by bschools usually.
  2. The VC fund transition sounds fantastic. It would be good to understand how long was the internship for. Usually, most good MBA programs would expect 4-5 years of solid full-time work experience. So you should plan accordingly instead of hurrying into the applications sooner.
  3. The CFA degree helps for MBA for sure and make sure you see it through.
  4. Profile building in our view is a lot more bespoke than a generic cookie cutter. We help on that through this intervention, aptly named Profile Builder.

Hope this helps some.

Cheers,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MG4MBACrystalBall

Hi Manish,

Thanks for the response. I interned at the VC Fund for 6 months before being offered a full-time Analyst role.
Articleship was at a mid-size CA Firm.

Based on the 4-5 years of work-ex, I am planning to transition to a Big 4 Transaction Advisory team to help me build a network as well as work on international assignments. Assume this would be an ideal way to build the profile before applying for an MBA.
Director
Director
Send PM
MG1902 wrote:

Hi Manish,

Thanks for the response. I interned at the VC Fund for 6 months before being offered a full-time Analyst role.
Articleship was at a mid-size CA Firm.

Based on the 4-5 years of work-ex, I am planning to transition to a Big 4 Transaction Advisory team to help me build a network as well as work on international assignments. Assume this would be an ideal way to build the profile before applying for an MBA.

Not quite sure of that MG1902. In the usual pecking order of things, VC would be way higher compared to txn advisory. So make sure you think this through!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MG4MBACrystalBall

With respect to pecking order, understand that VC ranks higher. Been working in VC for 2 years full-time now.
Reasons for transitioning to a Big 4 Transaction advisory are:
- Access to cross-cultural teams for assignments at Big 4 along with international projects
- Relatively small VC fund size
- Need to build a large network - since Indian startups mostly tend to have IIT/NIT background which I cannot tap into due to my academic path.
- Transaction advisory provides hands-on experience related to operations/business drivers (of course, this I have learnt even while making investment theses at the fund.)
- Need to experience scale after working in a relatively smaller team (6 people).

There are very few cases similar to my academic background, so I am talking to consultants/ex-CA plus MBA candidates at these B-Schools.
Director
Director
Send PM
MG1902 wrote:
MG4MBACrystalBall

With respect to pecking order, understand that VC ranks higher. Been working in VC for 2 years full-time now.
Reasons for transitioning to a Big 4 Transaction advisory are:

<<snip>>

- Need to experience scale after working in a relatively smaller team (6 people).

There are very few cases similar to my academic background, so I am talking to consultants/ex-CA plus MBA candidates at these B-Schools.

I hear you MG1902 but barring the international projects bit, not sure I would agree. Txn advisory in India office of Big4 is not very likely to make big jumps in your network compared to what you may be able to achieve with a bit more self-initiative using your VC reach. International projects tend to be very fickle and majority of folks don't tend to get an opportunity to be staffed on those - so there; just my 2 cents of course.

Cheers,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MG4MBACrystalBall

Appreciate the candid feedback.
Honestly, the plan was to transition to Management Consulting after the VC experience. Based on Indian recruitment and entry level positions, I am not sure if I am the right age & stage (thereby creating a fit issue for these firms.)

Their Business Analyst/Analyst level positions are taken up by IIT/NIT/SRCC alums.

Associate level requires an MBA.
Director
Director
Send PM
MG1902 wrote:
MG4MBACrystalBall

Appreciate the candid feedback.
Honestly, the plan was to transition to Management Consulting after the VC experience. Based on Indian recruitment and entry level positions, I am not sure if I am the right age & stage (thereby creating a fit issue for these firms.)

Their Business Analyst/Analyst level positions are taken up by IIT/NIT/SRCC alums.

Associate level requires an MBA.

Yes, tough to break into that sphere. They have of late started hiring laterals a lot more than what used to be earlier - but that's for specialized verticals. And usually, the direction is from MC to VC, not the other way round :)

My suggestion would be to stay put, earn some more stars and accomplishments, work on the profile while you solider on your MBA journey.

Cheers,
GMAT Club Bot