GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2019, 00:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Evaluation - Chartered Accountant from India

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 20 Mar 2019
Posts: 4
Profile Evaluation - Chartered Accountant from India  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2019, 04:47
Hi All,

I would like some honest feedback about my profile and also tips/suggestions of how can I evolve it going forward before applying for an MBA.
Target Schools (in order of preference): INSEAD (Singapore), Harvard, Wharton

Academic Background: Bachelors Degree in Management with specialisation in Finance. I have also completed my Chartered Accountancy (CPA equivalent) and Company Secretary course in India. I have also cleared level 1 of the CFA Program.

Work Experience: I did 3 years of articleship post graduation which is a mandatory full-time work experience for the CA course. Broad work covered audit and corporate taxation. I lead a team of 2 junior colleagues on assignments in the final year.

Post CA - I started interning with a technology-focused Venture Capital fund and converted the same to a full-time Analyst role. I have been in this role for 18 months with primary responsibilities including but not limited to deal screening, interacting with startup founders and preparing investment thesis.

After working in a niche field like VC, I want to transition to Management Consulting or Private Equity. I have not zeroed in on MC vs PE yet.
Requesting the members of the forum to guide me on requisite work experience and timing the application to maximize the chances.

Happy to provide any other relevant details!
Thanks.
Sia Admissions Representative
User avatar
G
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Joined: 04 Jan 2018
Posts: 606
Location: United States (NY)
Profile Evaluation - Chartered Accountant from India  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2019, 06:21
Hi MG1902,

Thank you for sharing your profile. The MC and VC (more so) are highly competitive fields and admissions to programs with this aim is even more competitive. Professionally, you seem to have gained a lot of experiences, which is great and will help you in your professional development. To assess your competitiveness to these programs, however, we do require your undergraduate CGPA (where you rank in the class and the rigor of your institution) and GMAT score. When it comes to admissions to the likes of the mentioned programs, they look to admit engaged people who are not only engaged leaders in their respective fields but also also in their community. Have you done any community work either in undergrad and/or post graduation? You might find this article useful in helping you prepare your profile before R1 deadlines (which you should target). I hope this helps. If you would like to continue the conversation, please reach out.

Good luck!



MG1902,

MG1902 wrote:
Hi All,




I would like some honest feedback about my profile and also tips/suggestions of how can I evolve it going forward before applying for an MBA.
Target Schools (in order of preference): INSEAD (Singapore), Harvard, Wharton

Academic Background: Bachelors Degree in Management with specialisation in Finance. I have also completed my Chartered Accountancy (CPA equivalent) and Company Secretary course in India. I have also cleared level 1 of the CFA Program.

Work Experience: I did 3 years of articleship post graduation which is a mandatory full-time work experience for the CA course. Broad work covered audit and corporate taxation. I lead a team of 2 junior colleagues on assignments in the final year.

Post CA - I started interning with a technology-focused Venture Capital fund and converted the same to a full-time Analyst role. I have been in this role for 18 months with primary responsibilities including but not limited to deal screening, interacting with startup founders and preparing investment thesis.

After working in a niche field like VC, I want to transition to Management Consulting or Private Equity. I have not zeroed in on MC vs PE yet.
Requesting the members of the forum to guide me on requisite work experience and timing the application to maximize the chances.

Happy to provide any other relevant details!
Thanks.

_________________
Susan Berishaj
Sia Admissions
info@siaadmissions.com
+1 (646) 690 - 9996
website: http://www.SiaAdmissions.com

Contact us for a complimentary profile evaluation
SVP
SVP
User avatar
D
Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 1804
Re: Profile Evaluation - Chartered Accountant from India  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2019, 01:51
MG1902 wrote:
Hi All,

I would like some honest feedback about my profile and also tips/suggestions of how can I evolve it going forward before applying for an MBA.
Target Schools (in order of preference): INSEAD (Singapore), Harvard, Wharton

Academic Background: Bachelors Degree in Management with specialisation in Finance. I have also completed my Chartered Accountancy (CPA equivalent) and Company Secretary course in India. I have also cleared level 1 of the CFA Program.

Work Experience: I did 3 years of articleship post graduation which is a mandatory full-time work experience for the CA course. Broad work covered audit and corporate taxation. I lead a team of 2 junior colleagues on assignments in the final year.

Post CA - I started interning with a technology-focused Venture Capital fund and converted the same to a full-time Analyst role. I have been in this role for 18 months with primary responsibilities including but not limited to deal screening, interacting with startup founders and preparing investment thesis.

After working in a niche field like VC, I want to transition to Management Consulting or Private Equity. I have not zeroed in on MC vs PE yet.
Requesting the members of the forum to guide me on requisite work experience and timing the application to maximize the chances.

Happy to provide any other relevant details!
Thanks.


Hi MG1902,

We are talking about two of world's most competitive programs here, so your profile really needs be top notch for these. You are well qualified and have relevant experience, however it's a competitive world out there, and your college GPA will matter. What will also matter is the size/reputation of the fund you are currently working for, as well as the kind of work you have got to do here. Moving into MC may be a little easier as compared to PE, as the PE jobs are numbered through any business school (but this needs deeper analysis, along with a skill/interset match). Talking about business schools, you may apply to another 2-3 to maximize your chance of admissions.

It seems that you are still not decided whether you should apply this year or later. Whatever be the case, a GMAT/GRE score would be the first step to this process, and the sooner you can take it the better it would be for you. For many applicants (esp Indians), this becomes the biggest hurdle in the applications, so taming this beast early in the year is always beneficial.
_________________
Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Ask us for ASSESSING YOUR MBA CHANCES

Totally Invested In Your Success. Therefore, unlimited essay guidance and unlimited communication with you.
Director
Director
avatar
G
Joined: 29 Aug 2010
Posts: 599
Re: Profile Evaluation - Chartered Accountant from India  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2019, 05:30
A few thoughts on your profile MG1902:
  1. The articleship sounds ok and usually a standard - was that with a big4? Read here on how articleship is treated by bschools usually.
  2. The VC fund transition sounds fantastic. It would be good to understand how long was the internship for. Usually, most good MBA programs would expect 4-5 years of solid full-time work experience. So you should plan accordingly instead of hurrying into the applications sooner.
  3. The CFA degree helps for MBA for sure and make sure you see it through.
  4. Profile building in our view is a lot more bespoke than a generic cookie cutter. We help on that through this intervention, aptly named Profile Builder.

Hope this helps some.

Cheers,
_________________
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Website: http://www.mbacrystalball.com
Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 20 Mar 2019
Posts: 4
Re: Profile Evaluation - Chartered Accountant from India  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2019, 23:16
MG4MBACrystalBall

Hi Manish,

Thanks for the response. I interned at the VC Fund for 6 months before being offered a full-time Analyst role.
Articleship was at a mid-size CA Firm.

Based on the 4-5 years of work-ex, I am planning to transition to a Big 4 Transaction Advisory team to help me build a network as well as work on international assignments. Assume this would be an ideal way to build the profile before applying for an MBA.
Director
Director
avatar
G
Joined: 29 Aug 2010
Posts: 599
Re: Profile Evaluation - Chartered Accountant from India  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2019, 05:45
MG1902 wrote:

Hi Manish,

Thanks for the response. I interned at the VC Fund for 6 months before being offered a full-time Analyst role.
Articleship was at a mid-size CA Firm.

Based on the 4-5 years of work-ex, I am planning to transition to a Big 4 Transaction Advisory team to help me build a network as well as work on international assignments. Assume this would be an ideal way to build the profile before applying for an MBA.



Not quite sure of that MG1902. In the usual pecking order of things, VC would be way higher compared to txn advisory. So make sure you think this through!
_________________
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Website: http://www.mbacrystalball.com
Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 20 Mar 2019
Posts: 4
Re: Profile Evaluation - Chartered Accountant from India  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2019, 01:42
MG4MBACrystalBall

With respect to pecking order, understand that VC ranks higher. Been working in VC for 2 years full-time now.
Reasons for transitioning to a Big 4 Transaction advisory are:
- Access to cross-cultural teams for assignments at Big 4 along with international projects
- Relatively small VC fund size
- Need to build a large network - since Indian startups mostly tend to have IIT/NIT background which I cannot tap into due to my academic path.
- Transaction advisory provides hands-on experience related to operations/business drivers (of course, this I have learnt even while making investment theses at the fund.)
- Need to experience scale after working in a relatively smaller team (6 people).

There are very few cases similar to my academic background, so I am talking to consultants/ex-CA plus MBA candidates at these B-Schools.
Director
Director
avatar
G
Joined: 29 Aug 2010
Posts: 599
Re: Profile Evaluation - Chartered Accountant from India  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2019, 03:17
MG1902 wrote:
MG4MBACrystalBall

With respect to pecking order, understand that VC ranks higher. Been working in VC for 2 years full-time now.
Reasons for transitioning to a Big 4 Transaction advisory are:

<<snip>>

- Need to experience scale after working in a relatively smaller team (6 people).

There are very few cases similar to my academic background, so I am talking to consultants/ex-CA plus MBA candidates at these B-Schools.



I hear you MG1902 but barring the international projects bit, not sure I would agree. Txn advisory in India office of Big4 is not very likely to make big jumps in your network compared to what you may be able to achieve with a bit more self-initiative using your VC reach. International projects tend to be very fickle and majority of folks don't tend to get an opportunity to be staffed on those - so there; just my 2 cents of course.

Cheers,
_________________
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Website: http://www.mbacrystalball.com
Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 20 Mar 2019
Posts: 4
Re: Profile Evaluation - Chartered Accountant from India  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2019, 05:08
MG4MBACrystalBall

Appreciate the candid feedback.
Honestly, the plan was to transition to Management Consulting after the VC experience. Based on Indian recruitment and entry level positions, I am not sure if I am the right age & stage (thereby creating a fit issue for these firms.)

Their Business Analyst/Analyst level positions are taken up by IIT/NIT/SRCC alums.

Associate level requires an MBA.
Director
Director
avatar
G
Joined: 29 Aug 2010
Posts: 599
Re: Profile Evaluation - Chartered Accountant from India  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2019, 06:53
MG1902 wrote:
MG4MBACrystalBall

Appreciate the candid feedback.
Honestly, the plan was to transition to Management Consulting after the VC experience. Based on Indian recruitment and entry level positions, I am not sure if I am the right age & stage (thereby creating a fit issue for these firms.)

Their Business Analyst/Analyst level positions are taken up by IIT/NIT/SRCC alums.

Associate level requires an MBA.


Yes, tough to break into that sphere. They have of late started hiring laterals a lot more than what used to be earlier - but that's for specialized verticals. And usually, the direction is from MC to VC, not the other way round :)

My suggestion would be to stay put, earn some more stars and accomplishments, work on the profile while you solider on your MBA journey.

Cheers,
_________________
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Website: http://www.mbacrystalball.com
Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile Evaluation - Chartered Accountant from India   [#permalink] 26 Mar 2019, 06:53
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Profile Evaluation - Chartered Accountant from India

  new topic post reply Update application status  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne