Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:01 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
GPA: 3
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Schools: IIMA
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V27
GRE 1: Q160 V150
GPA: 2.7
Send PM
Re: ISB Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hi,

I am 29 Year old female, currently working in JP Morgan

Education,
Engineering in Information Technology
CGPA - 6.7

MBA from Nirma University in Operations Management
Score - 2.3/4.2

I finished my MBA in 2016, After 3 years of work in JP Morgan as operations analyst, I want to transform my job profile and want to pursue my career in Marketing.

GMAT - Will write this July

Extra Curricular -
Girls cricket team captain in MBA , won gold medal
Carrom , Silver Medal twice

Can someone help me to understand my chance of getting into ISB ?

Thanks,
Manager
Manager
Send PM

Originally posted by prags1989 on 14 May 2019, 05:45.
Last edited by prags1989 on 14 May 2019, 08:09, edited 1 time in total.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
prags1989 wrote:
Hi,

Education,
CGPA - 6.7

Score - 2.3/4.2

I finished my MBA in 2016, After 3 years of work in JP Morgan as operations analyst, I want to transform my job profile and want to pursue my career in Marketing.

Extra Curricular -

Thanks,

Hi prags1989

- All looks good on the work experience, and ECA front. You will be seeking a second MBA, but as this is ~3.5 years after your first one, you might need to justify why you need it.
- On the acads side, your undergrad and MBA GPA are not very high, so aim for a score of over 700 to be able to show the analytical acumen.
- Your work with JP Morgan really helps, and will help to differentiate you.
- The tricky part will be showing why you need to move to Marketing (something you have little experience in so far). Without relevant experience and with a disconnect from your current industry as well, this will not be an easy sell. Can you shed more light on this bit - why this move?

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Expert Reply
prags1989 wrote:
Hi,

Education,
CGPA - 6.7

Score - 2.3/4.2

Extra Curricular -

Thanks,

Hi Prags,

I am a little concerned about your academic results so far. While you work towards a 720+ GMAT score, also do ensure that your work experience speaks to your ability to to handle difficult quantitative/analytical concepts. I am also not aligned with your career goals and would need to understand how you plan to justify that change. Its important that your goals align with what you have done so far and don't sound plain fanciful.

Thirdly, your ECAs are ok. More of hobbies actually. Have you been involved in activities where you got a chance to impact other people? Be it at work or as community volunteering?

On the whole, you'd have a shot at ISB if you can present a great career record at JP Morgan (good progression, good achievements, chances for taking formal/informal leadership), an above average GMAT and a coherent goals story.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Schools: IIMA
Send PM
prags1989 wrote:
Hi,

Education,
CGPA - 6.7

Score - 2.3/4.2

Extra Curricular -

Thanks,

Hi Prags1989,

Let me just list down the points which are positive

1. You are in the right range of experience. More than 50% of the class at ISB (by last year's data) is with 3-6 yrs of experience. With your experience, you fall in this range.

2. The pedigree of the company you work with is great. Working with companies such as JP Morgan - they know that you have a good understanding of how corporates work. You understand processes, targets, deadlines and managing customers/clients, etc. Schools look at your employability factor. This will give you an additional advantage.

3. I am assuming you pursue all the extracurriculars you mentioned. It is not important to add too many extracurriculars, what adds value is what you got out of it.
Say for example being a captain of the cricket team would have taught you something about leadership/conflict management/motivation etc.

4. Focus on your GMAT Score. ISB does make sure that they have a good mix of female applicants ( this is based on my experience working with many applicants this year and the admits received.)

5. You would need to come up with a good story on why you are looking at another MBA too. So make sure you have that clarity too.

Regards,
Shree

Free GMAT Kickstarter Course: https://www.crackverbal.com/gmat/free-g ... er-course/

Get Personalized GMAT Coaching - https://www.crackverbal.com/gmat/personal-tutoring/

Check out the CrackVerbal GMAT Online Course: https://www.crackverbal.com/gmat/online/

Watch GMAT Strategy videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/crackverbalvideos
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Hi,
Please evaluate my profile. I am looking forward to join ISB and other global b school.
Please let me what should be my target as far as gmat score is concerned

Age-26 yr
Graduation- BIT Mesra (mechanical )
Work ex- Working with JCAPCPL(JV of Tata steel and Nippon steel) for 3.5 year as Manger
Academics:
10th: 92.4
12th: 90
Btech: 80.8

Extracurricular:
A. Long jump gold and sliver medalist (school level)
B. Internal auditor certification for ISO 14001(company level)
3. National and zonal level winner at Quality circle, 2018( national level)
4.Reward and recognition by Managing director for highest availability of equipment for FY-18.(I look after maintenance in my organisation)

Posted from my mobile device
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Expert Reply
Aniket121 wrote:
Hi,
Please evaluate my profile. I am looking forward to join ISB and other global b school.
Please let me what should be my target as far as gmat score is concerned

Age-26 yr
Graduation- BIT Mesra (mechanical )
Work ex- Working with JCAPCPL(JV of Tata steel and Nippon steel) for 3.5 year as Manger
Academics:
10th: 92.4
12th: 90
Btech: 80.8

Extracurricular:
A. Long jump gold and sliver medalist (school level)
B. Internal auditor certification for ISO 14001(company level)
3. National and zonal level winner at Quality circle, 2018( national level)
4.Reward and recognition by Managing director for highest availability of equipment for FY-18.(I look after maintenance in my organisation)

Hi Aniket,

Your profile looks good. You have decent academics, and this picture would be completed with the GMAT score, which you are yet to take. A score higher than the class average (708) is always beneficial, so do aim for 710 and beyond. Your work achievements are good, you must use them to show how you took initiative and leadership in doing things that you did.

Other than this, you'd need to have a sound story about your career goals and why you need an MBA to fulfill those.

Reach out if you'd like to discuss your profile in more detail, over here, I have tried to answer looking at the brief snapshot you have given.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Hello all, here is my profile!!

Name: Abhishek Dasgupta, M, 25

Academic Background:-
Board: CBSE
Standard X: 90%
Standard XII: 70%
GMAT score: 710

Undergraduate University: MAKAUT (Previously known as WBUT)
CGPA: 7.7

Work Experience: 4 years in TCS as a Software Quality Assurance Engineer. I have also worked as a software developer for 6 months.
Domain: 2.5 years in Retail; 1.5 years in Telecom.

Extra Curricular activities-
School:
- was a regular participant at the chess tournaments.
- was the member of school handball team.
- was a member of school music team as a percussionist.
- participant in Debates and Extempores.

College:
- participated and won several debate contests.
- was a member of the organising. committee of annual fest for the first two years.
- was a participant in the music team.
- was a participant and winner of chess tournaments.

Work:
- Member of TCS maitree and actively participate in CSR activities including teaching at a local orphanage.
- Participated in Debates and chess tournaments

Apart from these, I am a certified Cognitive Behavioral Therapy practitioner. I took this up as an initiative to try to understand my 5 year old nephew, who suffers from speech problems, better. (Don't know if I should add this)

Why MBA- After working in a corporate setup for about 4 years, I feel that I need to up the ante in my professional path. I have always wanted to graduate as a Marketing Manager from a top B-school.
Since my father had a transferrable job, I have grown up at several places, getting the opportunity to interact with people of not only different economic backgrounds, but also different cultural backgrounds.
Because of my upbringing, I developed a love for traveling and I seek a career path wherein I will be able to exploit this passion. The answer that I got was a Marketing Job.
I have always wanted to be an entrepreneur and I feel that doing my MBA from a top B-school will help me to get a solid basis in order to chase my potential.

__I request GMAT club mentors to kindly evaluate my profile! I'm really nervous! Thanks in advance!!

Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Dear Experts,

Please review my profile and advise accordingly:

Profile : I'm 37 years old,

Nationality : Indian

Education :
10th - 69%
12th - 71%
Graduation - 71% ( Bachelor of Computer Applications - Osmania University)

Work experience : Overall 15 Years with 12+ Years in Program/Project Management currently working as Senior Project Manager for Wells Fargo
few excerpts from my work experience:

• Headed solution strategy, transformation road map aligning with client business and IT objectives during the pre-sales stage of new RFPs
• Chaired Transition&Transformation solution workshops based on RFPs and provided overall solution strategy

• Received HP Bronze Rock Star Award from Senior Vice President for successful completion of Insurance transition project for the bank
• Managed hiring, staffing, maintaining and career development of a diverse and effective workforce
• Awarded hp leading the way award for successful completion of transition project for a major US Bank
• Received IT ALL Stars award by CIO-Verizon Business for outstanding contribution in setting PMP study group

Extracurricular:
Represented School, College, Office Chess Championships

Having an MBA degree from a reputed college has been my goal since my childhood.
Thank you
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
WE:Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Male
Indian
GMAT Score- 750 ( Q-50, V-41, AWA-5, IR- 7)
Class X- 86%
Class XII- 84%
Engineer- Electrical (Jadavpur University)
CGPA-8.34/10
Work ex- almost 9 years

Currently working with a Energy Consulting Firm (6 months) -advisory in Public policy in energy sector, client profitability and assistance towards electricity regulatory issues

8.4 years experience in corporate strategy at CESC, a major power utility based out of Kolkata in the Regulatory domain focusing on profitability as well as balancing between public policy interests. While competition plays a key role in pricing model for any commodity in the world, electricity being an essential commodity in a developing economy like India, worked closely with Government and regulatory bodies to provide a sustainable yet profitable long term techno commercial solutions for consumer tariff and other operational parameters.
Extra-curricular activities include adventure sports, represented company and department in various football tournaments, part of company initiatives in CSR activities, Founder member at College Tech fest and Finance Head at College fests

Reason for MBA- necessity of having MBA in a consulting team for winning bids, prospects towards a career in larger consulting firms

Kindly evaluate- targeting ISB/ IIM A/B/C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
WE:Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Male
Indian
GMAT Score- 750 ( Q-50, V-41, AWA-5, IR- 7)
Class X- 86%
Class XII- 84%
Engineer- Electrical (Jadavpur University)
CGPA-8.34/10
Work ex- almost 9 years

Currently working with a Energy Consulting Firm (6 months) -advisory in Public policy in energy sector, client profitability and assistance towards electricity regulatory issues

8.4 years experience in corporate strategy at CESC, a major power utility based out of Kolkata in the Regulatory domain focusing on profitability as well as balancing between public policy interests. While competition plays a key role in pricing model for any commodity in the world, electricity being an essential commodity in a developing economy like India, worked closely with Government and regulatory bodies to provide a sustainable yet profitable long term techno commercial solutions for consumer tariff and other operational parameters.
Extra-curricular activities include adventure sports, represented company and department in various football tournaments, part of company initiatives in CSR activities, Founder member at College Tech fest and Finance Head at College fests

Reason for MBA- necessity of having MBA in a consulting team for winning bids, prospects towards a career in larger consulting firms

Kindly evaluate- targeting ISB/ IIM A/B/C
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 516 [0]
Given Kudos: 227
Concentration: Nonprofit, Sustainability
Schools: ISB '23
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V30
WE:Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
prags1989 wrote:
Hi,

Education,
CGPA - 6.7

Score - 2.3/4.2

Extra Curricular -

Thanks,

Please usethis thread for profile evaluation. Also it'll help you to gauge your candidacy against other prospective applicants.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Profile Evaluation for second MBA

Hi,

Education,
CGPA - 6.7

Score - 2.3/4.2

Extra Curricular -

Thanks,
Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB'22
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V32
Send PM

Name: Akash Guha, M, 25

Standard X: 9 CGPA/10
Standard XII: 70.2%
B. Tech (Civil Engineering_Sikkim Manipal Institute of Technology): 60.9 %

Work Experience: 2 years in a private construction firm based in Guwahati – where i worked as an Office Executive managing the e-tendering bidding process and documentation; and worked as a Site Engineer for 6 months.
I have also started my own firm and is a licensed contractor with the Indian Oil Corporation Limited for transportation of Bulk LPG by road in tank trucks for a period of 5 years starting from November 2018

School:
-Was awarded best Percussionist and won several awards in Table Tennis and Football
-Represented N.F. Railway for Table Tennis at the District Level
- Was the captain of Table Tennis team and played two Inter CBSE Cluster I championships.
- Was a member of school music team as a percussionist and played at several charity events and Inter school events.
*Apart from that I have two Degrees (Visharaad) in Tabla from (Bhatkhande and Chandigarh University*
*A Diploma in Fine Arts (Bangla Sangeet Parishad*
*A Diploma in AutoCAD*

College:
- Vice Captain of the winners’ team in Inter Departmental Football Championship
- was a member of the college Photography Club.

My career goal after graduation is to transition into Consulting role for a Technology, Engineering or Infrastructure company.

I am also involved in volunteering months for my local community for Specially abled Children.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,
Please evaluate my profile as mentioned below :
10th :icse 91.5%
12th :cbse 93.5%
B.tech: NIT DURGAPUR
Electronics and communication engineering,
Cgpa :8.38/10
GMAT score : not yet taken
Work ex : I got recruited as a Graduate Engineer Trainee in Idea cellular Limited. Currently working as an assistant manager in Networks dept, I will be completing 3 years in July, 2019.
In my stint,my major responsibility has been to design transmission network , prepare budget, get its approval and drive the project to its completion. It involved working with teams both inside and outside the organization. I've also taken initiative for preparing new reports to monitor better network performance.
I was awarded the excellence award and project completion award for my role in the network upgrade work.

During my graduation, I did summer internship from IIT Bombay :it involved development of a prototype for cervical cancer screening device. I got the opportunity to design the product as well as to talk to different manufacturers in the market for its manufacturing which gave me huge exposure and the interest in product development.
I have also done another internship with BARC,which was more of a technical project involving development of source code for a robot.
During my college and in school, I was actively involved in extra curricular activities which included organizing college fest and held responsible position in the science club of our college.
I've recently completed an online training in data science from Udemy out of interest.
Please evaluate my profile. I'm planning to appear for Sept 2019 intake of ISB.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi ChyronGmat,

You have a good profile and your extracurriculars, esp the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy practitioner bit is very unique. If you are actively helping people, it will be a good point to highlight. The worry we have is that given the information mentioned in your profile, a marketing goal doesn't add up. We'd urge you to rethink your short term goal, so that it is in line with your achievements and strengths, and not merely your aspirations.

Feel free to reach out for a detailed discussion.

ChyronGmat wrote:

Name: Abhishek Dasgupta, M, 25

Standard X: 90%
Standard XII: 70%
GMAT score: 710

Undergraduate University: MAKAUT (Previously known as WBUT)
CGPA: 7.7

Work Experience: 4 years in TCS as a Software Quality Assurance Engineer. I have also worked as a software developer for 6 months.
Domain: 2.5 years in Retail; 1.5 years in Telecom.

School:
- was a regular participant at the chess tournaments.
- was the member of school handball team.
- was a member of school music team as a percussionist.
- participant in Debates and Extempores.

College:
- participated and won several debate contests.
- was a member of the organising. committee of annual fest for the first two years.
- was a participant and winner of chess tournaments.

Work:
- Member of TCS maitree and actively participate in CSR activities including teaching at a local orphanage.
- Participated in Debates and chess tournaments

Apart from these, I am a certified Cognitive Behavioral Therapy practitioner. I took this up as an initiative to try to understand my 5 year old nephew, who suffers from speech problems, better. (Don't know if I should add this)

Why MBA- After working in a corporate setup for about 4 years, I feel that I need to up the ante in my professional path. I have always wanted to graduate as a Marketing Manager from a top B-school.
Since my father had a transferrable job, I have grown up at several places, getting the opportunity to interact with people of not only different economic backgrounds, but also different cultural backgrounds.
Because of my upbringing, I developed a love for traveling and I seek a career path wherein I will be able to exploit this passion. The answer that I got was a Marketing Job.
I have always wanted to be an entrepreneur and I feel that doing my MBA from a top B-school will help me to get a solid basis in order to chase my potential.

__I request GMAT club mentors to kindly evaluate my profile! I'm really nervous! Thanks in advance!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Robotsky31

15 years of work experience would make you one of the senior applicants for the ISB PGP. Over the past couple of years, cracking this pool school of applicants has become extremely difficult. Therefore you would have to work very hard on your application, esp short term and long term goals. Your profile does sound good, but after 15 years of work experience, a strong answer to why MBA and why PGP would be needed to get you across the line. Also, please aim for a 700+ GMAT if you have not yet taken it.

We also recommend you to look at the IIM executive MBA programs and not just limit your options to the ISB PGP. Feel free to reach out for a discussion.

Robotsky31 wrote:
Dear Experts,

Please review my profile and advise accordingly:

Profile : I'm 37 years old,

Nationality : Indian

Education :
10th - 69%
12th - 71%
Graduation - 71% ( Bachelor of Computer Applications - Osmania University)

Work experience : Overall 15 Years with 12+ Years in Program/Project Management currently working as Senior Project Manager for Wells Fargo
few excerpts from my work experience:

• Headed solution strategy, transformation road map aligning with client business and IT objectives during the pre-sales stage of new RFPs
• Chaired Transition&Transformation solution workshops based on RFPs and provided overall solution strategy

• Received HP Bronze Rock Star Award from Senior Vice President for successful completion of Insurance transition project for the bank
• Managed hiring, staffing, maintaining and career development of a diverse and effective workforce
• Awarded hp leading the way award for successful completion of transition project for a major US Bank
• Received IT ALL Stars award by CIO-Verizon Business for outstanding contribution in setting PMP study group

Extracurricular:
Represented School, College, Office Chess Championships

Having an MBA degree from a reputed college has been my goal since my childhood.
Thank you
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  131   132   133   134   135  ...  307