Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:46 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Quant Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4083 [0]
Given Kudos: 1851
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
Send PM
Quant Chat Moderator
Send PM
CR Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 643 [0]
Given Kudos: 558
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
CR Forum Moderator
Send PM
Re: Quant Question of the Day Chat [#permalink]
gmatophobia wrote:
PS Question 1 - Dec 23 Alex and Brenda both stand at point X. Alex begins to walk away from Brenda in a straight line at a rate of 4 miles per hour. One hour later, Brenda begins to ride a bicycle in a straight line in the opposite direction at a rate of R miles per hour. If R > 8, which of the following represents the amount of time, in terms of R, that Alex will have been walking when Brenda has covered twice as much distance as Alex? A. R-4 B. R/(R+4) C. R/(R-8) D. 8/(R-8) E. 2R - 4 Source: ManhattanPrep | Difficulty: Hard

Good reminder that you need to read the question :facepalm_man:

We are told that Alex travels at 4 miles per hour, and has traveled for 1 hour prior to Brenda.
Therefore, he will travel X miles at 4(t+1)=x -> 4t+4=x

We want double the distance of Alexa, so Brenda will have to travel 2x miles at rate R.
Therefore:
Rt=2(4t+4)
Rt=8t+8
t=(8/R-8)

Now don’t make the same mistake I did. That T is the time it takes for Brenda to travel double the distance of Alex. We want the total time Alex has traveled. Remember, Alex traveled 1 extra hour, therefore:
(8/R-8)+1=(8+R-8/(R-8))=R/(R-8)

Answer C.

I would say this question is probably best solved via plugging in numbers, but I didn’t try that method

Originally posted by mysterymanrog on 23 Dec 2022, 02:14.
Last edited by mysterymanrog on 23 Dec 2022, 02:15, edited 1 time in total.
Quant Chat Moderator
Send PM
mysterymanrog wrote:
Good reminder that you need to read the question :facepalm_man: We are told that Alex travels at 4 miles per hour, and has traveled for 1 hour prior to Brenda. Therefore, he will travel X miles at 4(t+1)=x -> 4t+4=x We want double the distance of Alexa, so Brenda will have to travel 2x miles at rate R. Therefore: Rt=2(4t+4) Rt=8t+8 t=(8/R-8) Now don’t make the same mistake I did. That T is the time it takes for Brenda to travel double the distance of Alex. We want the total time Alex has traveled. Remember, Alex traveled 1 extra hour, therefore: (8/R-8)+1=(8+R-8/(R-8))=R/(R-8) Answer C.

oh boy ! I too made that error (rushed to mark D only to realize that reading question carefully is so important) :lol:

DS Question 2 - Dec 23

If x is a non-zero integer, what is the value of x?

(1) x^(4x) = x^(16)
(2) (x^x)(x^2) = x^6

Source: GMATPrepNow | Difficulty: Hard

Originally posted by gmatophobia on 23 Dec 2022, 02:48.
Last edited by gmatophobia on 23 Dec 2022, 02:55, edited 1 time in total.
CR Forum Moderator
Send PM
gmatophobia wrote:
oh boy ! I too made that error (rushed to mark D only to realize that reading question carefully is so important) :lol:

Yep! Such an easy error to make too - since it’s one of the answer choices

Wouldn’t surprise me if this question was 30% accuracy just based off wording :p

gmatophobia wrote:
DS Question 2 - Dec 23 If x is a non-zero integer, what is the value of x? (1) x^(4x) = x^(16) (2) (x^x)(x^2) = x^6 Source: GMATPrepNow | Difficulty: Hard

I’m always weary when I see GMATPrep Now DS but:

1) if X=1, it is true. However, X=4 and statement 1 would be true. Note that X=-1 is not possible, because RHS would be pos while LHS negative. So X=1 or =4.
2) X can be 1 here as well, or 4.

3) We have no new info combining the two statements. Clearly ins, as there is no way to determine if x is 1 or 4.

E.

Originally posted by mysterymanrog on 23 Dec 2022, 03:09.
Last edited by mysterymanrog on 23 Dec 2022, 03:12, edited 1 time in total.
Haas & Fuqua Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
GRE 1: Q170 V161

GRE 2: Q170 V164
GPA: 4
Send PM
mysterymanrog wrote:
1) There must be 2 C machines. However, we cannot determine the exact amount - there could be 4 B machines, or 6A machines, or some combination. Therefore INS. 2) Gives us a ratio, but no further info. INS. 3) From 1 we know that there are 2 C machines. That means we need 4 B machines. 4 B machines gives us exactly 4800 cans/min, therefore there must be 2 C machines and 4 B machines.

Hi, Thanks for the explanation,
But the first statement specifies that there are 4800 cans FILLED. Not that 4800 cans have been installed with lids. Although it is tempting, I’m little hesitant to assume that in parallel 2 machines of C has installed.
Case. 1, I assumed 4800 cans were filled by 400x A machines and 600y B machines. We can’t determine values of x and y. So insufficient

Case 2, Since we have no information of the number of C machines ratio is highly insufficient for determining any number.

Combined, I have derived 4800 = 400x + 600y, Now Let’s just assume your approach then according to case 2 4800 = 2*600*y, y=4 but what about x? It was never mentioned that A machine was not working at all. So how can we assume x=0 for the above?

I think the option could be E.
Let me know if i missed any point
CR Forum Moderator
Send PM
ramyasree0299 wrote:
Hi, Thanks for the explanation, But the first statement specifies that there are 4800 cans FILLED. Not that 4800 cans have been installed with lids. Although it is tempting, I’m little hesitant to assume that in parallel 2 machines of C has installed. Case. 1, I assumed 4800 cans were filled by 400x A machines and 600y B machines. We can’t determine values of x and y. So insufficient Case 2, Since we have no information of the number of C machines ratio is highly insufficient for determining any number. Combined, I have derived 4800 = 400x + 600y, Now Let’s just assume your approach then according to case 2 4800 = 2*600*y, y=4 but what about x? It was never mentioned that A machine was not working at all. So how can we assume x=0 for the above? I think the option could be E. Let me know if i missed any point

Note that the question says "a lid is installed on every can that is filled". Therefore, if 4800 cans are filled each minute, then 4800 lids must also be installed

If that statement was missing from the stem, then you would be correct.

Furthermore, the question also states that no lids are installed on empty cans - otherwise this would also make the answer E.

mysterymanrog wrote:
1) There must be 2 C machines. However, we cannot determine the exact amount - there could be 4 B machines, or 6A machines, or some combination. Therefore INS. 2) Gives us a ratio, but no further info. INS. 3) From 1 we know that there are 2 C machines. That means we need 4 B machines. 4 B machines gives us exactly 4800 cans/min, therefore there must be 2 C machines and 4 B machines.

small mistake, there should be 6 A machines but I forgot to calculate them. So total is 6A,4B and 2C

Originally posted by mysterymanrog on 23 Dec 2022, 04:08.
Last edited by mysterymanrog on 23 Dec 2022, 04:15, edited 3 times in total.
Haas & Fuqua Moderator

Send PM
mysterymanrog wrote:
Note that the question says "a lid is installed on every can that is filled". Therefore, if 4800 cans are filled each minute, then 4800 lids must also be installed

Yes, I agree as I stated, that could be tempting to assume.
As the question says “lids can only be installed on filled cans” but we cannot certainly assume viceversa which is “All the filled cans will be installed with lids”

I’m thinking of Data Insufficiency here, 4800 cans are filled but we’re not sure that 2 machines of C are certainly working at the same time. That’s again is assumption.

If stated in question that- “Every filled cans HAVE to be installed with lid AND installation is done simultaneously by machine C as they’re being filled” then it is SAFE to assume that there are C machines working in that minute.

I agree with you that filled cans have to be installed with lids but since it’s unstated in question stem, it creates a benefit of doubt to assume or not. Hence the safest option would be E.
CR Forum Moderator
Send PM
ramyasree0299 wrote:
Yes, I agree as I stated, that could be tempting to assume. As the question says “lids can only be installed on filled cans” but we cannot certainly assume viceversa which is “All the filled cans will be installed with lids” I’m thinking of Data Insufficiency here, 4800 cans are filled but we’re not sure that 2 machines of C are certainly working at the same time. That’s again is assumption. If stated in question that- “Every filled cans HAVE to be installed with lid AND installation is done simultaneously by machine C as they’re being filled” then it is SAFE to assume that there are C machines working in that minute. I agree with you that filled cans have to be installed with lids but since it’s unstated in question stem, it creates a benefit of doubt to assume or not. Hence the safest option would be E.

Notice that the question doesnt require for them to be working at the same time

It just says in any given minute

It’s not really an assumption imo - it’s stated in the question

Originally posted by mysterymanrog on 23 Dec 2022, 05:56.
Last edited by mysterymanrog on 23 Dec 2022, 05:58, edited 1 time in total.
Haas & Fuqua Moderator

Send PM
mysterymanrog wrote:
It just says in any given minute

Yes, be it simultaneously or in a minute, we still can’t assume if C is working or not.
CR Forum Moderator
Send PM
ramyasree0299 wrote:
Yes, be it simultaneously or in a minute, we still can’t assume if C is working or not.

We are told that Machine C places lids only on cans that are filled and that each filled can has a lid

Theres no reason why machine C would not be working

If 4800 cans are filled, then those 4800 cans need a lid

Originally posted by mysterymanrog on 23 Dec 2022, 05:59.
Last edited by mysterymanrog on 23 Dec 2022, 06:00, edited 1 time in total.
Haas & Fuqua Moderator

Send PM
mysterymanrog wrote:
Theres no reason why machine C would not be working

Then the case 1, could have been stated like this: 4800 cans have been filled and installed with lids. It would have been good indication that C is working in that minute.
Since it’s left upon us to consider about the number of machines. Only mention of filling the cans could be game changer.
CR Forum Moderator
Send PM
It’s mentioned in the stem

So theres no need to repeat it
Haas & Fuqua Moderator

Send PM
I still would stick to what I said, Yes they mentioned “all C machines can ONLY install on filled cans” but stem never said the viceversa that “all the filled cans are to/must be installed”.

I’m waiting for OE to check how to justify case 1 statement.
Quant Chat Moderator
Send PM
"DS Question 1 - Dec 23" is an official question and the OE is C
Haas & Fuqua Moderator

Send PM
gmatophobia wrote:
"DS Question 1 - Dec 23" is an official question and the OE is C

Thanks, can your provide link for official explanation?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello there! I am an aspiring enhancing around quant which full over me over the time to solve these tricky question which now have been a hobby for me so could you please share me dec 22 all questions of quant
Quant Chat Moderator
Send PM
gmatophobia wrote:
DS Question 1 - Dec 23 Each type A machine fills 400 cans per minute, each Type B machine fills 600 cans per minute, and each Type C machine installs 2,400 lids per minute. A lid is installed on each can that is filled and on no can that is not filled. For a particular minute, what is the total number of machines working? (1) A total of 4,800 cans are filled that minute (2) For that minute, there are 2 Type B machines working for every Type C machine working Source: Official Guide | Difficulty: Medium

gmatophobia wrote:
PS Question 1 - Dec 23 Alex and Brenda both stand at point X. Alex begins to walk away from Brenda in a straight line at a rate of 4 miles per hour. One hour later, Brenda begins to ride a bicycle in a straight line in the opposite direction at a rate of R miles per hour. If R > 8, which of the following represents the amount of time, in terms of R, that Alex will have been walking when Brenda has covered twice as much distance as Alex? A. R-4 B. R/(R+4) C. R/(R-8) D. 8/(R-8) E. 2R - 4 Source: ManhattanPrep | Difficulty: Hard

gmatophobia wrote:
DS Question 2 - Dec 23 If x is a non-zero integer, what is the value of x? (1) x^(4x) = x^(16) (2) (x^x)(x^2) = x^6 Source: GMATPrepNow | Difficulty: Hard

PS Question 1 - Dec 24

m and n are positive integers. What is the smallest possible value of integer m if m/n = 0.3636363636...?

A. 3
B. 4
C. 7
D. 13
E. 22

Source: GMAT Club Tests | Difficulty: Medium

DS Question 1 - Dec 24

Company M has two divisions - X and Y. Each division has exactly two types of employees - clerks and managers. Is the ratio of clerks to managers greater for division X than that for division Y?

(1) Division X has 20% managers.
(2) Company M has 15% managers.

Source: Expert’s Global | Difficulty: Medium

Originally posted by gmatophobia on 24 Dec 2022, 02:24.
Last edited by gmatophobia on 24 Dec 2022, 02:30, edited 3 times in total.
Quant Chat Moderator
Send PM
DS Question 2 - Dec 24

Is x < y < z ?

(1) |x-1| < y < z+1

(2) |x+1| < y < z-1

Source: Math Revolution | Difficulty: Hard
GMAT Club Bot