Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:39 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [74]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [15]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 438 [9]
Given Kudos: 349
Concentration: General Management, Operations
Schools: HBS '19 (S)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [4]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Re: Recently conducted surveys of over 100 start-ups indicate that the cau [#permalink]
Kudos
souvik101990 wrote:
Recently conducted surveys of over 100 start-ups indicate that the cause of the high failure rate of start-ups is not so much that these companies not discovering a point of differentiation as that they failing to communicate it to their customers in a clear, concise, and compelling manner.

A. so much that these companies not discovering a point of differentiation as that they failing to communicate it

B. so much that these companies do not discover a point of differentiation as that they fail to communicate them

C. that these companies do not discover a point of differentiation but that they fail to communicate it

D. so much that these companies do not discover a point of differentiation as that they fail to communicate it

E. that these companies discovering a point of differentiation fail to communicate it

Day 6 Question of the Verbal Contest: Race Against the GMAT Club Timer
Please make sure to post a brief reply without revealing your solution to enter the contest!

There is a clear 3-2 split among the answer choices between choices using idiom so much..as and choices using idiom not....but.
so much ...as is used incorrectly as it does not convey intended meaning. we can rule out A, B and D.
Also there are plenty other reasons making different choices incorrect.
"not discovering a point.....as that they failing to communicate it" is awkward construction and there is no verb in the sentence making option A incorrect choice.
option B correctly describes "do not discover" part but wrong for idiom and pronoun reasons "them" incorrectly refers to differentiation.
Option C correctly uses not but idiom to convey proper meaning.
Option D contains same errors as A.
Option E removes the but from idiom not but and also produces verb missing error.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [7]
Given Kudos: 1169
GPA: 3.2
WE:Sales (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Re: Recently conducted surveys of over 100 start-ups indicate that the cau [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
hi,
we are familiar with parallesism like not only x but also y
Another parallesim in Gmat is Not so much x as Y

In these context, only A B D remain.

Here point of differentiation is singulair so B out fail to communicate them.

we needs a verb after subject so A companies not discovering is noun phrase so out.

In C Not that and but that looks both show contrast looks not correct.

Option E out not have parallesim.

So Option D wins
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Operations, Technology
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
roopika2990 wrote:
I;ll go with D ... C changes that meaning saying that failing to differentiate is not the reason at all ... but the actual sentence is both are the reasons for failure but one is more than the other ...

If we look at the options C and D logically, C seems to convey clear meaning. It doesn't say that failing to differentiate is not the reason. It says that these companies do identify the actual reason, but they are not communicating it. It is implied that failing to differentiate is the reason.

Originally posted by 12Sums on 21 Jul 2015, 00:52.
Last edited by 12Sums on 21 Jul 2015, 02:04, edited 1 time in total.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31934 [4]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos