GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2019, 11:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Recently conducted surveys of over 100 start-ups indicate that the cau

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Recently conducted surveys of over 100 start-ups indicate that the cau  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 06 Mar 2019, 01:07
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

47% (01:37) correct 53% (01:32) wrong based on 933 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Recently conducted surveys of over 100 start-ups indicate that the cause of the high failure rate of start-ups is not so much that these companies not discovering a point of differentiation as that they failing to communicate it to their customers in a clear, concise, and compelling manner.

A. so much that these companies not discovering a point of differentiation as that they failing to communicate it

B. so much that these companies do not discover a point of differentiation as that they fail to communicate them

C. that these companies do not discover a point of differentiation but that they fail to communicate it

D. so much that these companies do not discover a point of differentiation as that they fail to communicate it

E. that these companies discovering a point of differentiation fail to communicate it

Day 6 Question of the Verbal Contest: Race Against the GMAT Club Timer
Please make sure to post a brief reply without revealing your solution to enter the contest!

Originally posted by souvik101990 on 20 Jul 2015, 10:46.
Last edited by Bunuel on 06 Mar 2019, 01:07, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 3.2
WE: Sales (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Re: Recently conducted surveys of over 100 start-ups indicate that the cau  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2015, 20:40
hi,
we are familiar with parallesism like not only x but also y
Another parallesim in Gmat is Not so much x as Y

In these context, only A B D remain.

Here point of differentiation is singulair so B out fail to communicate them.

we needs a verb after subject so A companies not discovering is noun phrase so out.

In C Not that and but that looks both show contrast looks not correct.

Option E out not have parallesim.

So Option D wins
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
S
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Recently conducted surveys of over 100 start-ups indicate that the cau  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2015, 13:48
souvik101990 wrote:
Recently conducted surveys of over 100 start-ups indicate that the cause of the high failure rate of start-ups is not so much that these companies not discovering a point of differentiation as that they failing to communicate it to their customers in a clear, concise, and compelling manner.

A. so much that these companies not discovering a point of differentiation as that they failing to communicate it

B. so much that these companies do not discover a point of differentiation as that they fail to communicate them

C. that these companies do not discover a point of differentiation but that they fail to communicate it

D. so much that these companies do not discover a point of differentiation as that they fail to communicate it

E. that these companies discovering a point of differentiation fail to communicate it

Day 6 Question of the Verbal Contest: Race Against the GMAT Club Timer
Please make sure to post a brief reply without revealing your solution to enter the contest!

There is a clear 3-2 split among the answer choices between choices using idiom so much..as and choices using idiom not....but.
so much ...as is used incorrectly as it does not convey intended meaning. we can rule out A, B and D.
Also there are plenty other reasons making different choices incorrect.
"not discovering a point.....as that they failing to communicate it" is awkward construction and there is no verb in the sentence making option A incorrect choice.
option B correctly describes "do not discover" part but wrong for idiom and pronoun reasons "them" incorrectly refers to differentiation.
Option C correctly uses not but idiom to convey proper meaning.
Option D contains same errors as A.
Option E removes the but from idiom not but and also produces verb missing error.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Operations
Schools: HBS '19 (S)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2015, 19:38
I;ll go with D ... C changes that meaning saying that failing to differentiate is not the reason at all ... but the actual sentence is both are the reasons for failure but one is more than the other ...
Current Student
Concentration: Operations, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 21 Jul 2015, 02:04
roopika2990 wrote:
I;ll go with D ... C changes that meaning saying that failing to differentiate is not the reason at all ... but the actual sentence is both are the reasons for failure but one is more than the other ...

If we look at the options C and D logically, C seems to convey clear meaning. It doesn't say that failing to differentiate is not the reason. It says that these companies do identify the actual reason, but they are not communicating it. It is implied that failing to differentiate is the reason.

Originally posted by 12Sums on 21 Jul 2015, 00:52.
Last edited by 12Sums on 21 Jul 2015, 02:04, edited 1 time in total.
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2015, 06:41
12Sums wrote:
roopika2990 wrote:

If we look at the options C and D logically, C seems to convey clear meaning. It doesn't say that failing to differentiate is not the reason. It says that these companies do identify the actual reason, but they are not communicating it. It is implied that failing to differentiate is the reason.

Hi,
we have to go with original meaning so C is out ...
the original meaning saysthat one reason is more reponsible for the efeect than a second one.. so SO MUCH .... AS... is the correct idiom,
only option retaining the original meaning, parallelism and the correct idiom is D
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2015, 09:46
A. so much that these companies not discovering a point of differentiation as that they failing to communicate it --- Not discovering is wrong; We need a verb here not a participle

B. so much that these companies do not discover a point of differentiation as that they fail to communicate them --- ‘them’ is wrong pronoun

C. that these companies do not discover a point of differentiation but that they fail to communicate it – Text says that the reason is both non-discovery and not communicating—only thing is that it is more due to non–communicating than due to non discovery. But C alters the intent and claims that the reason for failure is only non–communicating, implying that non discovery has no role in the failure. This is fatal. Another issue, a comma before 'but' would be more grammatical.

D. so much that these companies do not discover a point of differentiation as that they fail to communicate it --- rigorously sticks to original intent and hence the best

E. that these companies discovering a point of differentiation fail to communicate it ---structurally weak; suspect the sentence is incomplete.

B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2017, 07:22
I will change to C too. D seems a bit wordy. I went for D coz i felt it retained the original meaning but D has too many negators here and is unnecessarily wordy
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2017, 08:44
LarryM wrote:
I will change to C too. D seems a bit wordy. I went for D coz i felt it retained the original meaning but D has too many negators here and is unnecessarily wordy

Wordiness is not really the correct explanation - the comparison structure is altogether wrong in option D. The correct structure is:

(not) so + [adjective] + that + clause
I am not so happy that I will give you a treat.

OR (not) so [adjective] + as + noun/clause
I am not as/so happy as you (are).

You would notice that option D does not follow any of the above structures - the adjective is missing.
Non-Human User

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2019, 01:10
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Recently conducted surveys of over 100 start-ups indicate that the cau   [#permalink] 06 Mar 2019, 01:10

Recently conducted surveys of over 100 start-ups indicate that the cau

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics