Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 01:38 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 01:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 512 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Leadership, Operations
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
UmangMe wrote:
Hello,
I am male Indian candidate, age 33 years old.
I am just a average student
Schooling 10th = 61%
12th = 64% from UP State board
graduation Engineering 71 % from very low rank private university in 2004-2008.

my strength is if i determine for anything I try full efforts to achieve it, and i mean it.

my college placement was 2%, that too off campus, i decided to go for it, got placed in two good IT companies in 2008 at the time of recession.
i am from middle class and in India Govt Jobs preferable, I decided after 1 year of software workEx, got selected for 2 core electronics job in government sector. afterword also tried for GATE exam (for India) like GRE got cleared with 90%tile+ and also got selected for Railways and cleared other many exams.

now in railways I am incharge of signalling system of 5 major stations, controlling 120+ team directly, have a store inventory which has approx a million dollor cost spares, managing same amount equivalent work done by contractors, solely responsible for all HR, and technical routine work.

in addition to working on my Startup ( its at initial phase) content base mobile app.

i want to do MBA to understand how to channelize a idea into a reality.

i have just started my preparation approx 2 weeks back for GMAT exam (Disclaimer : currently in worse situation due my using Hindi a primary language in my job from past 6 years).

if i aim for GMAT score between 700 to 740, will it be good with my current profile for Top 50 MBA Schools in the world.

this time I am nervous as score in somewhat in my hand but cant change my past.

pls suggest on above GMAT score range along with my profile, where i stand, and in which school I have moderate to strong chance. :roll:

Hello UmangMe,

Hope this finds you well.

Good to see the GMAT score you are targetting. It will definitely help compensate for your average academic background. Remember, the higher the score, the better it is going to be for you.

While the leadership experience sounds great, your age is going to be a bit of a concern. We suggest that you consider applying to European programs; these are slightly more open to senior candidates and actually respect one's years of experience.

You're right in saying that things cannot be changed any longer and you must focus on the controllable. Therefore, work towards getting a top-notch test score and put forth as strong an application as you can.

All the best!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
UmangMe wrote:
Hello,
Schooling 10th = 61%

my strength is if i determine for anything I try full efforts to achieve it, and i mean it.

my college placement was 2%, that too off campus, i decided to go for it, got placed in two good IT companies in 2008 at the time of recession.
i am from middle class and in India Govt Jobs preferable, I decided after 1 year of software workEx, got selected for 2 core electronics job in government sector. afterword also tried for GATE exam (for India) like GRE got cleared with 90%tile+ and also got selected for Railways and cleared other many exams.

now in railways I am incharge of signalling system of 5 major stations, controlling 120+ team directly, have a store inventory which has approx a million dollor cost spares, managing same amount equivalent work done by contractors, solely responsible for all HR, and technical routine work.

in addition to working on my Startup ( its at initial phase) content base mobile app.

i have just started my preparation approx 2 weeks back for GMAT exam (Disclaimer : currently in worse situation due my using Hindi a primary language in my job from past 6 years).

if i aim for GMAT score between 700 to 740, will it be good with my current profile for Top 50 MBA Schools in the world.

pls suggest on above GMAT score range along with my profile, where i stand, and in which school I have moderate to strong chance. :roll:

Hi Umang,
With a 700+ GMAT score and a unique background such as railways, you have good chances of getting interview calls from top B schools in India like IIMs/ISB. Having an average academic background can be easily compensated with a good GMAT score. Again, there are many state board students(who had Hindi as their primary language of education) who joined these top B schools every year. So, with some efforts and hard work you can overcome this challenge. You have not mentioned your post MBA career goals. But with the procurement and people management skills you have mentioned, you can be a suitable candidate for jobs in E-commerce firms like Amazon, Flipkart etc.

For more information regarding MBA and career switch from PSU to Private sector check the free resources at https://psutoprivate.com/.
All the best!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
WE:Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Hello,

Please help me by evaluating my profile (25, male):

Education
10th - 90% (CBSE)
12th - 65% (Science stream, Maharashtra State)
Undergrad - 70%; B.Sc. in Hospitality & Hotel Administration from IHM Mumbai (Oldest and top-ranked hospitality education institute in the country)

Work experience: 5 years (60 months)
1. Account Executive at Booking(dot)com (NASDAQ: BKNG; Fortune500): Managing supplier accounts in the assigned region, involves consultative selling, relationship management and improving product adoption. I've also led region & country-level projects for improving the quality of listings on the website [Current]
2. Business Development Executive at Cleartrip(dot)com (Online travel agency): Job role & responsibilities are the same as above. Awarded for 'Exemplary Performance'. [2.4 years]

Certifications
Fundamentals of Digital Marketing (Google)
Project Management (Udemy)

GMAT: Yet to attempt; target score = 680

Thanks in advance :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
athk wrote:
Hello,

Education
10th - 90% (CBSE)
Undergrad - 70%; B.Sc. in Hospitality & Hotel Administration from IHM Mumbai (Oldest and top-ranked hospitality education institute in the country)

<<snip>>

athk, a few quick notes on your profile and some questions:
  1. The academic profile is interesting in that it's from a non-feeder place for MBA schools. That will call for a closer scrutiny. The onus will be on you to explain your relative position to the adcoms. While the GMAT will help, it might be relevant to consider some more efforts. In this context, the certifications you've done will be useful. See if you can do more, in the relevant space.
  2. The professional profile looks about ok. You will have to bring out a lot of non-travel related aspects to showcase transferable skills. The transition you are seeking is not an easy one and hence, put in your A game here.
  3. On the above, it will also be important to see how you connect the dots, looking forward. Since not many in your peer group might be seeking top GMAT based MBA (?), schools would want to see what made you think differently and if that makes sense.
  4. Schools value ECs. Anything here?

Hope this helps spark the right thoughts.
Rotman School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 257
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 500 Q46 V13
GPA: 4
WE:Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Choice Schools: SMU , NUS Singapore , Rotman, Warwick , Judge, LSE ,HEC Montreal , Other Canadian Schools.

Course: MSc Finance / Masters in Finance/ MBA

Brief Intro
Nationality: Indian. Age 27 years.Did my graduation in commerce in Sept 2014 with 71 %. Worked with NSDC Govt of India as an intern for 3 months as marketing Associate.

Worked with reputed CA Firm for 3 years and working as a Data Analyst with Oceaneering since 2018.

Since 2015 working as an volunteer with Thalassemia Society and Red cross. Organized blood camps and donate blood and motivating others to participate in the camps.

GMAT (Expected) : 700

For which B schools I am eligible for apart from the above mentioned?

Plese guide me through.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
WE:Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
MG4MBACrystalBall wrote:
athk wrote:
Hello,

Education
10th - 90% (CBSE)

<<snip>>

athk, a few quick notes on your profile and some questions:
  1. The academic profile is interesting in that it's from a non-feeder place for MBA schools. That will call for a closer scrutiny. The onus will be on you to explain your relative position to the adcoms. While the GMAT will help, it might be relevant to consider some more efforts. In this context, the certifications you've done will be useful. See if you can do more, in the relevant space.
  2. The professional profile looks about ok. You will have to bring out a lot of non-travel related aspects to showcase transferable skills. The transition you are seeking is not an easy one and hence, put in your A game here.
  3. On the above, it will also be important to see how you connect the dots, looking forward. Since not many in your peer group might be seeking top GMAT based MBA (?), schools would want to see what made you think differently and if that makes sense.
  4. Schools value ECs. Anything here?

Hope this helps spark the right thoughts.

Hello MG,

Thank you so much for evaluating my profile. Here are a few pointers from my end:

a) I have a few more marketing & soft-skill based certifications which could possibly be showcased and a two-digit AIR in the undergrad entrance test (if that helps?).
b) Indeed. Since my experience is in e-commerce, I believe I should be able to pull that off.
c) It is true, I just know of one instance (a batchmate who was accepted by ISB). Most Indian applicants with a hospitality background do not choose this route. Nevertheless, I believe I can present my understanding of travel business within the e-commerce sphere and how an MBA would be able to bridge gaps for me.
d) No ECs.

Regards.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
athk wrote:

Hello MG,

Thank you so much for evaluating my profile. Here are a few pointers from my end:

a) I have a few more marketing & soft-skill based certifications which could possibly be showcased and a two-digit AIR in the undergrad entrance test (if that helps?).
b) Indeed. Since my experience is in e-commerce, I believe I should be able to pull that off.
c) It is true, I just know of one instance (a batchmate who was accepted by ISB). Most Indian applicants with a hospitality background do not choose this route. Nevertheless, I believe I can present my understanding of travel business within the e-commerce sphere and how an MBA would be able to bridge gaps for me.
d) No ECs.

Regards.

In general, certifications don't help a lot but yes, they would to some extent. Will also depend on where you did it from. AIR is unlikely to help much frankly.

It is uncommon but not impossible; a hospitality and travel consultant we helped into a top school.

The b) above is the key. All the best and feel free to reach out directly for more.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools: Stanford '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
Hi Umang,

Thank you for writing in.

You have an excellent profile - in terms of leadership. Your life story and your desire to set high goals for yourself, and work towards achieving them are praiseworthy also. Given this, if you are able to achieve a target GMAT score in the range that you mention (700 - 740), getting into a top 35 - 50 ranked business school should be straightforward.

Wish you all the best,
Karthik

UmangMe wrote:
Hello,
Schooling 10th = 61%

GMAT Club Bot