Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:14 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 351 [204]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618882 [75]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 159 [34]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 351 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: tough problem [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
hrish88 wrote:
Right triangle ABC is to be drawn in the xy-plane so that the right angle is at A and AB is parallel to the y-axis. If the x- and y-coordinates of A, B, and C are to be integers that are consistent with the inequalities -6 ≤ x ≤ 2 and 4 ≤ y ≤ 9 , then how many different triangles can be drawn that will meet these conditions?

A.54

B.432

C.2160

D.2916

E.148,824

i ve got it right.but this problem is very time consuming.can anyone suggest shorter method

We have the square with dimensions 9*6(9 horizontal dots and 6 vertical). AB is parallel to y-axis and AC is parallel to x-axis.

Choose the (x,y) coordinates for vertex A: 9C1*6C1;
Choose the x coordinate for vertex C (as y coordinate is fixed by A): 8C1, (9-1=8 as 1 horizontal dot is already occupied by A);
Choose the y coordinate for vertex B (as x coordinate is fixed by A): 5C1, (6-1=5 as 1 vertical dot is already occupied by A).

9C1*6C*8C1*5C1=2160.

Answer: C.

OA is C.very nice explanation.you rock man as always.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
hrish88 wrote:
Right triangle ABC is to be drawn in the xy-plane so that the right angle is at A and AB is parallel to the y-axis. If the x- and y-coordinates of A, B, and C are to be integers that are consistent with the inequalities -6 ≤ x ≤ 2 and 4 ≤ y ≤ 9 , then how many different triangles can be drawn that will meet these conditions?

A.54

B.432

C.2160

D.2916

E.148,824

i ve got it right.but this problem is very time consuming.can anyone suggest shorter method

We have the rectangle with dimensions 9*6 (9 horizontal dots and 6 vertical). AB is parallel to y-axis and AC is parallel to x-axis.

Choose the x coordinate for vertex C (as y coordinate is fixed by A): 8C1, (9-1=8 as 1 horizontal dot is already occupied by A);
Choose the y coordinate for vertex B (as x coordinate is fixed by A): 5C1, (6-1=5 as 1 vertical dot is already occupied by A).

9C1*6C*8C1*5C1=2160.

Good one. +1 for it. Hope I didn't mess it up.

so what about the triangles that look like the mirror images of the ones above? - think, switching the co-ords of A and C along x axis and switching A and B along y axis....
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618882 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
BlitzHN wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
hrish88 wrote:

A.54

B.432

C.2160

D.2916

E.148,824

We have the rectangle with dimensions 9*6 (9 horizontal dots and 6 vertical). AB is parallel to y-axis and AC is parallel to x-axis.

9C1*6C*8C1*5C1=2160.

so what about the triangles that look like the mirror images of the ones above? - think, switching the co-ords of A and C along x axis and switching A and B along y axis....

Above solution counts all position:

AC and CA;

A
B
and
B
A;

For example point C with 8C1 can be placed to the right as well to the left of A and point B with 5C1 can be placed below as well as above of A. So all cases are covered.

More here: arithmetic-og-question-88380.html?hilit=dimensions

Hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [6]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Strategy
 Q50  V35 GMAT 2: 740  Q50  V40
WE 1: 4 years Software Product Development
WE 2: 3 years ERP Consulting
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
C.

I am not sure if this approach is correct. I used Elimination. There can be only 5 possible values of C if we fix A. So the number of triangles possible has to be multiple of 5. The only answer that satisfies the criterion is C.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1821 [6]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GPA: 3.23
Send PM
Re: Right triangle ABC is to be drawn in the xy-plane so that [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
hrish88 wrote:

A. 54
B. 432
C. 2,160
D. 2,916
E. 148,824

First, get the integer points available for x-axis: 2 - (-6) + 1 = 9
Second, get the interger points available for y-axis: 9-4+1 = 6

How many ways to select the location of line AB in the x-axis? 9
How many ways to select the location of point C in the x-axis? 8 (Note: we cannot select the location of line AB)
How many ways to select the location of the base? 2 (Is it BC or AB?)
How many ways to position line AB parallel to y axis? 6!/2!4! = 15

Multiple all that:\(9*8*2*15 = 2,160\)

Answer: C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
hrish88 wrote:

A.54

B.432

C.2160

D.2916

E.148,824

9C1*6C*8C1*5C1=2160.

Hi Bunuel ,

That was a fantastic solution , but i have a small doubt . How do we ensure that by selecting points in this way the properties of a triangle are satisfied always . Could there be some points through which we cannot even form a triangle leave alone right angled triangle. I hope i am clear in my question .
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618882 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
venkat18290 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
hrish88 wrote:

A.54

B.432

C.2160

D.2916

E.148,824

9C1*6C*8C1*5C1=2160.

Hi Bunuel ,

That was a fantastic solution , but i have a small doubt . How do we ensure that by selecting points in this way the properties of a triangle are satisfied always . Could there be some points through which we cannot even form a triangle leave alone right angled triangle. I hope i am clear in my question .

ANY 3 non-collinear points on a plane form a triangle.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Bunuel... you're a freaking genius. Get a job with NASA already.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13387 [2]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
hrish88 wrote:

A. 54
B. 432
C. 2,160
D. 2,916
E. 148,824

Please check solution as attached.

Answer:Option C
Attachments

File comment: www.GMATinsight.com
Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 9.26.09 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 9.26.09 AM.png [ 659.51 KiB | Viewed 18420 times ]

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 100
Send PM
Right triangle ABC is to be drawn in the xy-plane so that [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
hrish88 wrote:

A.54

B.432

C.2160

D.2916

E.148,824

9C1*6C*8C1*5C1=2160.

Hi @bunnel ,
I have a doubt.
If AB is parallel to Y-axis, how can we count X=0 as a possibility for vertex A?
If X=0, when vertex A lies of the Y-axis and therefore, AB can't be parallel to Y-axis..
With this in mind, I got 8*6 possibilities for vertex A.

please help.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13387 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
ganeshvenugopal wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
hrish88 wrote:

A.54

B.432

C.2160

D.2916

E.148,824

9C1*6C*8C1*5C1=2160.

Hi @bunnel ,
I have a doubt.
If AB is parallel to Y-axis, how can we count X=0 as a possibility for vertex A?
If X=0, when vertex A lies of the Y-axis and therefore, AB can't be parallel to Y-axis..
With this in mind, I got 8*6 possibilities for vertex A.

please help.

Here comes some cotradiction.

One definition says that parallel lines are lines that never intersect but they lack mentioning the fact that the lines should lie in one plane for it to happen.

Here the line is parallel to Y axis and Y-Axis is a direction while origin is just a point of reference from where the Y direction may be referenced so I believe that X=0 may be taken for the line which is parallel to Y-Axis.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 227
Send PM
If I pick a point for the right angle (A,A), I can pick this point in 9*6 ways. The other two points that forms the triangle must have one point at (A,y) and one point at (x,A). The total number of ways to pick the points becomes 9*6*8*5 = 2160 triangles.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 236 [0]
Given Kudos: 295
GPA: 4
WE:Business Development (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Once you know it forms a 6*9 Rectangle - IT becomes easy.

Since AB - Parallel to Y Axis -

Select two points ( AB ) from 6 vertical points : 6C2
- Multiply this by 2 Since there can be right angle above or below
- Multiply this by 9 Since AB Can be anywhere on 9 vertical bars
- Multiple this with 8 since we have 8 choices for Point C

6c2*2*8*9 = 2160
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92904 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts