Last visit was: 03 Jun 2024, 09:40 It is currently 03 Jun 2024, 09:40
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 628850 [10]
Given Kudos: 82084
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 628850 [2]
Given Kudos: 82084
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
GPA: 3
Send PM
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1072 [0]
Given Kudos: 629
Schools: Ross '25 (M$)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
Send PM
Scientists have discovered a new species of butterfly that lives only [#permalink]
carlton17 wrote:
Referring to option D, the fact that the foliage in the butterfly's habitat is not completely green directly contradicts the premise in the argument. With this statement added to the argument, the conclusion is no longer logical as well. However, on the GMAT, should we avoid accepting answer choices (especially in weaken/ assumptionhttps://gmatclub.com/forum/po ... postingbox questions) that contradict a premise?

Hi carlton17,
Though it's often said that the "premise" should be taken as it is provided. I have seen cases where breaking the logicality of the premise too has proven to be the correct answer. So, rather than memorising what can be challenged and what can not be challenged, if one focuses on the argument as a whole, with special attention to the conclusion, one would not need to memorise anything.

Quote:
(D) The foliage in the butterfly's habitat is completely green.
This choice brings in information with respect to the foliage on which the butterfly rests. (D) says that the foliage is entirely green. You wrote above:
carlton17 wrote:
Referring to option D, the fact that the foliage in the butterfly's habitat is not completely green directly contradicts the premise in the argument.
I think you have written a "negated version" of (D). And does the negated version really "contradict" the conclusion that "the scientists must have discovered the butterfly at night"? Maybe there were spaces in the foliage like stems/barks/vines that were not entirely green. But what if these things make up a very small percentage of the foliage? In that case, our conclusion would hold. Compared to negated version (B), "if there is a way for the scientists to detect the butterfly at day", then the conclusion "the scientists must have discovered the butterfly at night" breaks down completely.

Advice: I am not a big fan of the "negation technique" in Assumption type questions. When this works, it works, but I have seen it confusing test takers when applied blindly. A better technique is to not approach CR with a set of formulas. Understand the stimulus as it is presented. Look for logical fallacies or the "jumps" that the author might have taken to reach his/her conclusion. And then use POE to eliminate answer choices.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Scientists have discovered a new species of butterfly that lives only [#permalink]
[quote="PyjamaScientist"]
Thanks a lot. Much appreciated.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Scientists have discovered a new species of butterfly that lives only [#permalink]
A,C,E are completely first time eliminate and thus no need to reassure the same,
between B and D some people might find it tricky but it asks for how would they be discovered at night and hence you sufficiently point of the option of not in the day and hence B is clear easy winner.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 854 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6952 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
820 posts