Last visit was: 13 May 2024, 20:08 It is currently 13 May 2024, 20:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 298 [30]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: General
WE 1: 2 IT
WE 2: 4 Software Analyst
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 623530 [0]
Given Kudos: 81851
Send PM
General Discussion
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63873 [3]
Given Kudos: 1782
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 893 [2]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Re: Since empathy is essential for people to be willing to follow moral co [#permalink]
Bookmarks
If you have gone thru MGMAT CR guide it says don't negate the assumption by taking the extreme negation. It says "least negative". CANNOT is most extreme negation.

Least negative assumption -
(A) Civilized society NOT NECESSARILYexist only if there are people who are willing to at least sometimes ignore their own welfare to help others.

(E) People who feel empathy tend to NOT NECESSARILYignore their own welfare for the sake of others.

negation A destroys the arg but negation E does not.

gtr022001 wrote:

right, so i tried negating the following...
(A) Civilized society CANNOT exist only if there are people who are willing to at least sometimes ignore their own welfare to help others.
(E) People who feel empathy tend to NOT ignore their own welfare for the sake of others.

when i negate (A), doesn't it just repeat what the argument said? i thought (E) negated weakened the argument more but i guess not. Thoughts?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Since empathy is essential for people to be willing to follow moral co [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi,
I am writing up my understanding, please correct me if I am missing something

Say
people to be willing to follow moral codes -> X
empathy -> Y
civilized society -> Z
Stimulus:
Since Y is essential for X, Z cannot be without Y.
My take
Z has X i.e Z cannot be without X.
Option C says
If X then it is Z which is not necessary.
So OA is A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Re: Since empathy is essential for people to be willing to follow moral co [#permalink]
Step 1: Identify the conclusion. Here the conclusion is "[therefore] civilized society could not exist without empathy"

Step 2 : Now look for the assumption/link/premise which connents Premise 1 to the Conclusion.

A makes it the best. Remember, if you negate "A" the conclusion falls apart"

Tip - assumption questions are another form of strenghten or weaken (support or defend) and these should make the conclusion hold true.

HTH
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 298 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: General
WE 1: 2 IT
WE 2: 4 Software Analyst
Send PM
amma4u wrote:
Step 1: Identify the conclusion. Here the conclusion is "[therefore] civilized society could not exist without empathy"

Step 2 : Now look for the assumption/link/premise which connents Premise 1 to the Conclusion.

A makes it the best. Remember, if you negate "A" the conclusion falls apart"

Tip - assumption questions are another form of strenghten or weaken (support or defend) and these should make the conclusion hold true.

HTH

right, so i tried negating the following...
(A) Civilized society CANNOT exist only if there are people who are willing to at least sometimes ignore their own welfare to help others.
(E) People who feel empathy tend to NOT ignore their own welfare for the sake of others.

when i negate (A), doesn't it just repeat what the argument said? i thought (E) negated weakened the argument more but i guess not. Thoughts?
Own Kudos [?]: 1973 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
@GMATNinja please throw some light on this question. Why is option "C" incorrect and why is option "A" correct?
I think both are having same meaning. Both say that moral character is essential for a society to be civilised.

Regards
Own Kudos [?]: 1973 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
gmatexam439 wrote:
GMATNinja please throw some light on this question. Why is option "C" incorrect and why is option "A" correct?
I think both are having same meaning. Both say that moral character is essential for a society to be civilised.

Regards

Quote:
Since empathy is essential for people to be willing to follow moral codes that sometimes require them to ignore their own welfare to help others, civilized society could not exist without empathy.

The passage tells us that empathy is essential in order to follow codes that sometimes require ignoring one's own welfare to help others. The author then concludes that civilized society could not exist without empathy. Thus, the author assumes that people must sometimes be able to ignore their own welfare in order for civilized society to exist. In other words, the author is assuming that a necessary condition for having a civilized society is having people who are sometimes able to ignore their own welfare. This assumption is described in choice (A):

Quote:
(A) Civilized society can exist only if there are people who are willing to at least sometimes ignore their own welfare to help others.

If empathy is essential for people to ignore their own welfare and having a civilized society requires having people who are sometimes able to ignore their own welfare, then the author's conclusion is valid: "civilized society could not exist without empathy."

Now let's take a look at choice (C):

Quote:
(C) If everyone in a society is sometimes willing to ignore his or her own welfare to help others, that society will be civilized.

Having SOME people who are sometimes willing to ignore their own welfare to help others has to be a NECESSARY condition in order for the author's conclusion to be valid. However, according to choice (C), having a society where EVERYONE is sometimes willing to ignore their own welfare is a SUFFICIENT condition for having a civilized society. In other words, according to choice (C), if everyone is sometimes willing to ignore their own welfare to help others, then you WILL have a civilized society, regardless of any other factors.

The author's conclusion might be valid if choice (C) is true, but the author's conclusion does not require that choice (C) is true. For example, what if we change (C) to: "If everyone in a society is sometimes willing to ignore his or her own welfare to help others, that society might be civilized." In that case, having some people who are willing to ignore their own welfare could still be a necessary condition, and the author's conclusion would still be valid.

Choice (C) says that the author's argument is only valid if we assume that have a society where EVERYONE is sometimes willing to ignore their own welfare is a sufficient condition for having a civilized society. The author's conclusion does not REQUIRE that this be the case, so (C) must be eliminated.

Thank you for the explanation sensei. I was confused in this question because in GMAT the cause of any issue/event, basically anything, is absolute. So "giving up" for the sake of others is necessary condition for a good society. However, option "C" states that EVERYONE has to be willing to ignore their own welfare.

After going through your aforesaid explanation I understand that EVERYONE is an exaggeration and option A is better, but if we negate option "C", the conclusion falls apart.
Negation: If everyoneno one in a society is sometimes NOT willing to ignore his or her own welfare to help others, that society will be civilised.

Please point out the mistake in my above understanding. I am missing something here.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63873 [0]
Given Kudos: 1782
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
gmatexam439 wrote:
Thank you for the explanation sensei. I was confused in this question because in GMAT the cause of any issue/event, basically anything, is absolute. So "giving up" for the sake of others is necessary condition for a good society. However, option "C" states that EVERYONE has to be willing to ignore their own welfare.

After going through your aforesaid explanation I understand that EVERYONE is an exaggeration and option A is better, but if we negate option "C", the conclusion falls apart.
Negation: If everyoneno one in a society is sometimes NOT willing to ignore his or her own welfare to help others, that society will be civilised.

Please point out the mistake in my above understanding. I am missing something here.

This is a good example of how the negation technique can be very difficult to apply. What exactly is the negation of choice (C)? This is not quite right: "If no one in a society is sometimes NOT willing to ignore his or her own welfare to help others, that society will be civilised."

Quote:
(C) If everyone in a society is sometimes willing to ignore his or her own welfare to help others, that society will be civilized.

Choice (C) says that having a society where everyone is sometimes willing to ignore their own welfare is a SUFFICIENT condition for having a civilized society. The negation is simply that having everyone in society be willing to ignore his/her own welfare is NOT sufficient for having a civilized society. In other words, "if everyone in a society is sometimes willing to ignore his or her own welfare to help others, that society might be civilized."

This does not contradict the author's argument, which rests on the assumption that having people who are willing to at least sometimes ignore their own welfare is NECESSARY for having a civilized society, as stated in choice (A).

I hope that helps!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 623530 [0]
Given Kudos: 81851
Send PM
Expert Reply
gtr022001 wrote:
Since empathy is essential for people to be willing to follow moral codes that sometimes require them to ignore their own welfare to help others, civilized society could not exist without empathy.

Which one of the following is an assumption required by the argument?

(A) Civilized society can exist only if there are people who are willing to at least sometimes ignore their own welfare to help others.

(B) Failure to empathize with other people usually leads to actions detrimental to civilized society.

(D) Moral codes that include the requirement that people disregard their own welfare in order to help others have arisen within some civilized societies.

(E) People who feel empathy tend to ignore their own welfare for the sake of others.

guys show me some empathy here and explain this one? i tried negation technique but still got it wrong. i'll post the OA later

EXPLANATION FROM POWER PREP

This stimulus provides the following conditional argument:

Premise: Empathy is essential to the following of moral codes, which sometimes require people to put the interests of others above self-interest.

Conclusion: Therefore civilized society could not exist without empathy.

We can diagram the conditional reasoning in the premise and the conclusion as follows:

Premise: MC --> E (that is, if moral codes are to be followed, empathy is required)

Conclusion: CS --> E (that is, if civilized society is to exist, empathy is required)

When we examine the two conditional statements above, we can see that empathy is the overlapping theme, the necessary variable in both the premise and the conclusion. In order to connect this conclusion to this premise, the argument requires a supporter assumption: A premise which, although not stated explicitly in the stimulus, bridges the gap between the two conditional statements. Since we are asked to find the choice that provides the required assumption, we should look for the answer that ties together the loose ends of this argument: Moral codes and civilized society.

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice, as it supplies the needed link between moral codes and civilized society. We know from the stimulus that the following of moral codes requires at least some who will put others interests over their own, so without such people, moral codes could not be followed. If civilized society also depends on the existence of these sometimes selfless people, as this answer choice provides, then we can conclude that without such people, moral codes could not be followed, and civilized society could not exist.

Answer choice (B): This choice is causal rather than conditional, so it should be eliminated. Conditional reasoning requires conditional assumptions. Furthermore, since the stimulus specifies that empathy is only sometimes required, this leaves open the possibility that, most of the time, civilized society is fine without such empathy. Thus we need not assume that lack of empathy is usually detrimental.

Answer choice (C): This choice is the Mistaken Reversal of the required assumption, so we should eliminate it. Also, the stimulus sought to establish a necessity, whereas this choice concerns a sufficiency. That is, the stimulus says that civilized society requires some degree of selflessness, whereas this answer choice presents the assumption that this selflessness guarantees that a society will be civilized.

Answer choice (D): The fact that certain moral codes have arisen in some civilized societies does not establish a conditional link between civilized society and moral codes. It is therefore irrelevant to the conditional argumentative strategy in the stimulus.

Answer choice (E): A description of the results of empathy does not establish a link between moral codes and civilized society, so this choice is incorrect.
MBA Section Director
Own Kudos [?]: 553 [0]
Given Kudos: 138
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 2: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V37
GRE 1: Q170 V163
Send PM
Analysis: Empathy is necessary to follow moral codes. Empathy sometimes requires people to ignore their own welfare. Empathy is a must for a civilized society.

Which one of the following is an assumption required by the argument?

Need to identify the assumption

Negation: Civilized society cannot exist if there is not even a single person who is willing to at least sometimes ignore his own welfare to help others
Analysis: Well, if the negation is true, the whole argument falls apart. The argument says that at least some people who are willing to ignore their own welfare to help others are necessary for a civilized society. Keep it.

(B) Failure to empathize with other people usually leads to actions detrimental to civilized society.
Negation: failure to empathize never leads to actions detrimental to civilized society.
Analysis: Even if failure to empathize never leads to actions detrimental to civilized society, the argument holds true because the negation does not suggest that empathy is a must. It is an example of a case where the argument says that X is necessary for Y, and the answer choice implies that not X will cause not Y. X = Empathy, Y = Civilized society

Too broad spectrum. This option says that everyone is sometimes willing to ignore his or her own welfare to help others, the society will be civilized. The argument says that Empathy sometimes requires a willingness to ignore one's own welfare to help others and that empathy is a must for a civilized society. This does not imply that willingness to ignore one's own welfare will necessarily result in a civilized society

(D) Moral codes that include the requirement that people disregard their own welfare in order to help others have arisen within some civilized societies.
Negation: Moral codes that include the requirement that people disregard their own welfare in order to help others have not arisen within any civilized society. Rise of such morals in an existing civilized society are not our concern

(E) People who feel empathy tend to ignore their own welfare for the sake of others.
A little modification of the premise. The premise says that empathy sometimes requires people to ignore their own welfare to helpothers. This option is more or less conveys the same.

Therefore, the answer is A
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6927 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts