GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Aug 2018, 10:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Since empathy is essential for people to be willing to follow moral co

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jan 2010
Posts: 129
Location: So. CA
WE 1: 2 IT
WE 2: 4 Software Analyst
Since empathy is essential for people to be willing to follow moral co  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 19 Feb 2011, 01:34
1
11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  85% (hard)

Question Stats:

52% (01:39) correct 48% (01:56) wrong based on 662 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Since empathy is essential for people to be willing to follow moral codes that sometimes require them to ignore their own welfare to help others, civilized society could not exist without empathy.

Which one of the following is an assumption required by the argument?

(A) Civilized society can exist only if there are people who are willing to at least sometimes ignore their own welfare to help others.

(B) Failure to empathize with other people usually leads to actions detrimental to civilized society.

(C) If everyone in a society is sometimes willing to ignore his or her own welfare to help others, that society will be civilized.

(D) Moral codes that include the requirement that people disregard their own welfare in order to help others have arisen within some civilized societies.

(E) People who feel empathy tend to ignore their own welfare for the sake of others.

guys show me some empathy here and explain this one? i tried negation technique but still got it wrong. i'll post the OA later

Originally posted by gtr022001 on 18 Feb 2011, 19:24.
Last edited by gtr022001 on 19 Feb 2011, 01:34, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
avatar
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 787
Reviews Badge
Re: Since empathy is essential for people to be willing to follow moral co  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2011, 00:29
The way civilized society is defined is -
People when ignore their own welfare to help others = civilized society. civilized society cannot exist without empathy (conclusion)

E is clear which ties both ends.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jan 2010
Posts: 129
Location: So. CA
WE 1: 2 IT
WE 2: 4 Software Analyst
Re: Since empathy is essential for people to be willing to follow moral co  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2011, 01:19
gmat1220 wrote:
The way civilized society is defined is -
People when ignore their own welfare to help others = civilized society. civilized society cannot exist without empathy (conclusion)

E is clear which ties both ends.


yes that is what i picked too! but its not the OA, any more tries? :(
Director
Director
avatar
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 787
Reviews Badge
Re: Since empathy is essential for people to be willing to follow moral co  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2011, 01:25
1
then it has to be A. :)

gtr022001 wrote:
gmat1220 wrote:
The way civilized society is defined is -
People when ignore their own welfare to help others = civilized society. civilized society cannot exist without empathy (conclusion)

E is clear which ties both ends.


yes that is what i picked too! but its not the OA, any more tries? :(
Director
Director
avatar
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 787
Reviews Badge
Re: Since empathy is essential for people to be willing to follow moral co  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2011, 01:40
civilized society "could not exist" - this is extreme. Hence the assumption is extreme. I didnt choose A since it rocked the boat too much and gmat answers are not aha !

gtr022001 wrote:
gmat1220 wrote:
then it has to be A. :)


yep OA is A!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Can't give up
Joined: 20 Dec 2009
Posts: 263
Re: Since empathy is essential for people to be willing to follow moral co  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2011, 08:13
Step 1: Identify the conclusion. Here the conclusion is "[therefore] civilized society could not exist without empathy"

Step 2 : Now look for the assumption/link/premise which connents Premise 1 to the Conclusion.

A makes it the best. Remember, if you negate "A" the conclusion falls apart"

Tip - assumption questions are another form of strenghten or weaken (support or defend) and these should make the conclusion hold true.

HTH
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jan 2010
Posts: 129
Location: So. CA
WE 1: 2 IT
WE 2: 4 Software Analyst
Re: Since empathy is essential for people to be willing to follow moral co  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2011, 11:18
amma4u wrote:
Step 1: Identify the conclusion. Here the conclusion is "[therefore] civilized society could not exist without empathy"

Step 2 : Now look for the assumption/link/premise which connents Premise 1 to the Conclusion.

A makes it the best. Remember, if you negate "A" the conclusion falls apart"

Tip - assumption questions are another form of strenghten or weaken (support or defend) and these should make the conclusion hold true.

HTH


right, so i tried negating the following...
(A) Civilized society CANNOT exist only if there are people who are willing to at least sometimes ignore their own welfare to help others.
(E) People who feel empathy tend to NOT ignore their own welfare for the sake of others.

when i negate (A), doesn't it just repeat what the argument said? i thought (E) negated weakened the argument more but i guess not. Thoughts?
Director
Director
avatar
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 787
Reviews Badge
Re: Since empathy is essential for people to be willing to follow moral co  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2011, 19:28
1
If you have gone thru MGMAT CR guide it says don't negate the assumption by taking the extreme negation. It says "least negative". CANNOT is most extreme negation.

Least negative assumption -
(A) Civilized society NOT NECESSARILYexist only if there are people who are willing to at least sometimes ignore their own welfare to help others.

(E) People who feel empathy tend to NOT NECESSARILYignore their own welfare for the sake of others.

negation A destroys the arg but negation E does not.

gtr022001 wrote:

right, so i tried negating the following...
(A) Civilized society CANNOT exist only if there are people who are willing to at least sometimes ignore their own welfare to help others.
(E) People who feel empathy tend to NOT ignore their own welfare for the sake of others.

when i negate (A), doesn't it just repeat what the argument said? i thought (E) negated weakened the argument more but i guess not. Thoughts?
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 06 Oct 2013
Posts: 45
Re: Since empathy is essential for people to be willing to follow moral co  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2015, 12:37
Premise: Empathy is essential for people to be willing to follow moral codes that sometimes require them to ignore their own welfare to help others.

Conclusion: Civilized society could not exist without empathy.

There is no link in argument between \(Civilized society and people who ignore their own welfare to help others\).

Our assumption should be: \(Civilized society can exist only if there are people who ignore their own welfare to help others\).

Ans :A.
BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
D
Joined: 28 Mar 2017
Posts: 1104
Location: India
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
CAT Tests
Re: Since empathy is essential for people to be willing to follow moral co  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2017, 12:51
@GMATNinja please throw some light on this question. Why is option "C" incorrect and why is option "A" correct?
I think both are having same meaning. Both say that moral character is essential for a society to be civilised.

Regards
_________________

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!


Preparing for RC my way


My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC
7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
P
Status: GMAT and GRE tutor
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 1909
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Since empathy is essential for people to be willing to follow moral co  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2017, 00:50
1
gmatexam439 wrote:
GMATNinja please throw some light on this question. Why is option "C" incorrect and why is option "A" correct?
I think both are having same meaning. Both say that moral character is essential for a society to be civilised.

Regards

Quote:
Since empathy is essential for people to be willing to follow moral codes that sometimes require them to ignore their own welfare to help others, civilized society could not exist without empathy.

The passage tells us that empathy is essential in order to follow codes that sometimes require ignoring one's own welfare to help others. The author then concludes that civilized society could not exist without empathy. Thus, the author assumes that people must sometimes be able to ignore their own welfare in order for civilized society to exist. In other words, the author is assuming that a necessary condition for having a civilized society is having people who are sometimes able to ignore their own welfare. This assumption is described in choice (A):

Quote:
(A) Civilized society can exist only if there are people who are willing to at least sometimes ignore their own welfare to help others.

If empathy is essential for people to ignore their own welfare and having a civilized society requires having people who are sometimes able to ignore their own welfare, then the author's conclusion is valid: "civilized society could not exist without empathy."

Now let's take a look at choice (C):

Quote:
(C) If everyone in a society is sometimes willing to ignore his or her own welfare to help others, that society will be civilized.

Having SOME people who are sometimes willing to ignore their own welfare to help others has to be a NECESSARY condition in order for the author's conclusion to be valid. However, according to choice (C), having a society where EVERYONE is sometimes willing to ignore their own welfare is a SUFFICIENT condition for having a civilized society. In other words, according to choice (C), if everyone is sometimes willing to ignore their own welfare to help others, then you WILL have a civilized society, regardless of any other factors.

The author's conclusion might be valid if choice (C) is true, but the author's conclusion does not require that choice (C) is true. For example, what if we change (C) to: "If everyone in a society is sometimes willing to ignore his or her own welfare to help others, that society might be civilized." In that case, having some people who are willing to ignore their own welfare could still be a necessary condition, and the author's conclusion would still be valid.

Choice (C) says that the author's argument is only valid if we assume that have a society where EVERYONE is sometimes willing to ignore their own welfare is a sufficient condition for having a civilized society. The author's conclusion does not REQUIRE that this be the case, so (C) must be eliminated.
_________________

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
D
Joined: 28 Mar 2017
Posts: 1104
Location: India
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
CAT Tests
Re: Since empathy is essential for people to be willing to follow moral co  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2017, 02:55
GMATNinja wrote:
gmatexam439 wrote:
GMATNinja please throw some light on this question. Why is option "C" incorrect and why is option "A" correct?
I think both are having same meaning. Both say that moral character is essential for a society to be civilised.

Regards

Quote:
Since empathy is essential for people to be willing to follow moral codes that sometimes require them to ignore their own welfare to help others, civilized society could not exist without empathy.

The passage tells us that empathy is essential in order to follow codes that sometimes require ignoring one's own welfare to help others. The author then concludes that civilized society could not exist without empathy. Thus, the author assumes that people must sometimes be able to ignore their own welfare in order for civilized society to exist. In other words, the author is assuming that a necessary condition for having a civilized society is having people who are sometimes able to ignore their own welfare. This assumption is described in choice (A):

Quote:
(A) Civilized society can exist only if there are people who are willing to at least sometimes ignore their own welfare to help others.

If empathy is essential for people to ignore their own welfare and having a civilized society requires having people who are sometimes able to ignore their own welfare, then the author's conclusion is valid: "civilized society could not exist without empathy."

Now let's take a look at choice (C):

Quote:
(C) If everyone in a society is sometimes willing to ignore his or her own welfare to help others, that society will be civilized.

Having SOME people who are sometimes willing to ignore their own welfare to help others has to be a NECESSARY condition in order for the author's conclusion to be valid. However, according to choice (C), having a society where EVERYONE is sometimes willing to ignore their own welfare is a SUFFICIENT condition for having a civilized society. In other words, according to choice (C), if everyone is sometimes willing to ignore their own welfare to help others, then you WILL have a civilized society, regardless of any other factors.

The author's conclusion might be valid if choice (C) is true, but the author's conclusion does not require that choice (C) is true. For example, what if we change (C) to: "If everyone in a society is sometimes willing to ignore his or her own welfare to help others, that society might be civilized." In that case, having some people who are willing to ignore their own welfare could still be a necessary condition, and the author's conclusion would still be valid.

Choice (C) says that the author's argument is only valid if we assume that have a society where EVERYONE is sometimes willing to ignore their own welfare is a sufficient condition for having a civilized society. The author's conclusion does not REQUIRE that this be the case, so (C) must be eliminated.


Thank you for the explanation sensei. I was confused in this question because in GMAT the cause of any issue/event, basically anything, is absolute. So "giving up" for the sake of others is necessary condition for a good society. However, option "C" states that EVERYONE has to be willing to ignore their own welfare.

After going through your aforesaid explanation I understand that EVERYONE is an exaggeration and option A is better, but if we negate option "C", the conclusion falls apart.
Negation: If everyoneno one in a society is sometimes NOT willing to ignore his or her own welfare to help others, that society will be civilised.

Please point out the mistake in my above understanding. I am missing something here.
_________________

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!


Preparing for RC my way


My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC
7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 26 Mar 2016
Posts: 18
Since empathy is essential for people to be willing to follow moral co  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2017, 11:33
1
Hi,
I am writing up my understanding, please correct me if I am missing something

Say
people to be willing to follow moral codes -> X
empathy -> Y
civilized society -> Z
Stimulus:
Since Y is essential for X, Z cannot be without Y.
My take
Z has X i.e Z cannot be without X.
Option C says
If X then it is Z which is not necessary.
So OA is A
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
P
Status: GMAT and GRE tutor
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 1909
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Since empathy is essential for people to be willing to follow moral co  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2017, 20:50
gmatexam439 wrote:
Thank you for the explanation sensei. I was confused in this question because in GMAT the cause of any issue/event, basically anything, is absolute. So "giving up" for the sake of others is necessary condition for a good society. However, option "C" states that EVERYONE has to be willing to ignore their own welfare.

After going through your aforesaid explanation I understand that EVERYONE is an exaggeration and option A is better, but if we negate option "C", the conclusion falls apart.
Negation: If everyoneno one in a society is sometimes NOT willing to ignore his or her own welfare to help others, that society will be civilised.

Please point out the mistake in my above understanding. I am missing something here.

This is a good example of how the negation technique can be very difficult to apply. What exactly is the negation of choice (C)? This is not quite right: "If no one in a society is sometimes NOT willing to ignore his or her own welfare to help others, that society will be civilised."

Quote:
(C) If everyone in a society is sometimes willing to ignore his or her own welfare to help others, that society will be civilized.

Choice (C) says that having a society where everyone is sometimes willing to ignore their own welfare is a SUFFICIENT condition for having a civilized society. The negation is simply that having everyone in society be willing to ignore his/her own welfare is NOT sufficient for having a civilized society. In other words, "if everyone in a society is sometimes willing to ignore his or her own welfare to help others, that society might be civilized."

This does not contradict the author's argument, which rests on the assumption that having people who are willing to at least sometimes ignore their own welfare is NECESSARY for having a civilized society, as stated in choice (A).

I hope that helps!
_________________

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SVP
SVP
avatar
P
Joined: 12 Dec 2016
Posts: 1849
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Since empathy is essential for people to be willing to follow moral co  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2017, 20:47
this question will never appear in the actual test b/c this one is from LSAT.
C and D are out of scope b/c they talk about the civilized nations.
both B and E use "tend", "usually" -> correlation -> wrong
B only tells about "detrimental"
A is right b/c of "only if" & "exist"
Re: Since empathy is essential for people to be willing to follow moral co &nbs [#permalink] 04 Dec 2017, 20:47
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Since empathy is essential for people to be willing to follow moral co

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.