Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:19 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Real Estate
Schools: Wharton - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Haas School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [1]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.3
WE:Design (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General Management
GRE 1: Q168 V165
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
vin2012 wrote:
Hi Guys, I am based in HK and have applied to Sloan in Round 1. My profile is GMAT 780/M/Indian/30 Years old/ Working in I bank in HK.
Somehow I didn't ignored the optional essay compeltely and didn't submit any video. Now I see that everyone else has submitted this video.
Do you think this ends any chance of getting an interview call from Sloan? Also how did everyone end up submitting this video as it was optional? I used clearadmit and they didn't stress the fact that this video is a must. Any commments would be helpful.

By the way, haven't received an invite yet and am based in Hong Kong. So my hopes of getting an invite are very slim now. Didn't get interview invite from Wharton either. Has anyone received interview invite from South East Asia. What are the interview dates for HK/Singapore/Tokyo etc?

Same situation as you but not worrying at all. If schools give you the choice between GMAT vs GRE, optional essay vs optional video (MIT) or essay vs powerpoint (Booth), it's because they are actually indifferent between the medium as long as you can express optimally your message. A lot of applicants "overdo" it when it comes to preparing their applications (essays longer than the word limits, writing an optional essay to explain why they did not get straight As in high school, etc.). Just wait to hear back from Sloan or Wharton. You have great stats so I am sure you'll get in a school you are really excited about.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Operations
WE:Operations (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
capmgmat wrote:
I am pretty sure Sloan adcom has not viewed my supplemental video. Is it a possibility that if they don't like an application they just skip the video.? That would be pretty sad as I spent couple of weeks working on it. Did anybody who has received interview invitation from MIT confirm they received it even without their videos being viewed by adcom? Thanks.

The view count on youtube is truly misleading, if they stopped the video before the end it doesnt count up. They may have viewed it but stopped it right before. I would'nt go off from this data point to conclude wether my app has been reviewed. I did not submit a video though but there have been some people who reported 0 views on their video and got an invite, so dont stress out about the view count.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
kingfalcon wrote:
juanj0614 wrote:
I didn't submit the supplemental essay since it was optional. I didn't think that it was a big issue, but now I am worried. Any thoughts?

I can tell you that two separate members of the adcom (on two separate occasions) STRONGLY suggested everyone submit something. That said, if your application is already submitted, there is not much you can do now, right? Might as well let go and focus on the things you can control.

People who submitted the supplement will get in, and people who didn't submit the supplement will get in. It's an optional piece, so Sloan isn't going to exclude you because you didn't submit anything. Kingfalcon is right though, the adcom sure seems to like it.

If you did a really good job of showing the adcom who you are in the rest of the app, then not using the optional space isn't a big deal -- you would have been being redundant anyway. If you had some passion or skill or background or anything that you didn't get to talk about in the app and that would show them another side of you, then bummer -- you just missed a chance to show that. It doesn't mean you won't be admitted anyway.

The Sloan app is pretty no-nonsense, so a lot of people realized they could show a little something extra in the supplement. Don't fret about it too much though -- remember that MIT uses a quantitative grading system for reading applications, and it's not even really clear how the supplement can affect that grading system anyway.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V37
Send PM
Kudos
sesamemochi wrote:

Thanks for the heads-up! The way I look at it, if I don't hear back by the end of the week, I'll get to enjoy the holidays and new year too not having to fret about it. Or as much as I can while slaving away with some other applications.

That's right! Lastest email from the admission committee when I asked my application status: "We are still in the process of reviewing applications and sending out interview invitations. Interview invitations can go out right up until the decision notification date, so not to worry!"
No matter what, let's be confident about our own application and enjoy the holiday!
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Peace Corps Response Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, Organizational Behavior
GRE 1: Q161 V166
GPA: 3.44
WE:Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
Received my invite for a Skype interview yesterday afternoon. I'm located in Zambia.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
Send PM
Kudos
FrozenTongue wrote:
Guys, have quite a few friends who are currently first and second year students at MIT Sloan... the feedback they have considering all other students/applicants of their time FROM THEIR REGION, and after some friendly discussions with adcoms is:

1. For applicants from lesser represented countries (Brazil, Hong Kong etc), invites typically go out in first week of January. So have a great Christmas!
2. For applicants from higher represented countries (US, India), invites should have gone out already, and will go out for the rest of this week. Less than 5% will be invited in the first week of January. After this, if any invites go they are mostly waitlist type.

The above refers to average applicants like me, not the super stars (built and sold facebook, or scaled seven highest peaks kind)...

So guys who like things black and white, and from the US like me, good luck for the next two days. If you dont get an invite just like me, suck it up, and play life well. We will rock the universe in a different way, and show these metrosexual idiots in AdComs how to live a real life...

And for God's sake, please stop asking questions on "Should I have submitted video". Reason: When submitting the application, you either A. considered all options and took a wise decision to submit or not submit video. Then be a man, and stick by your decision. OR B. You couldnt decide properly, and didnt submit. In such a case, better start questioning your decision making ability, realize what is wrong, and take a better decision next time.

I had to requote this post for awesomeness, specifically in regards to the metrosexual AdComs. I myself am surprised from the lack of interview invitations from a couple of schools I've applied to. I know it's because none of them have any idea what my company is, not because it's not a global company, but because they have probably never seen applicants from my company. 98% of people I work with already have their master's degrees.

AdCom really doesn't seem to have a clue about much of anything. I promise I'm not bitter :-D
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [1]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Kudos
MBAWanderlust wrote:
Shawshank wrote:
Thanks for this. It's super helpful.

My understanding though was that for round 1, Sloan interviews around 25% but for round 2, it's only 12-13%. That's because unlike other schools, Sloan interviews a FIXED number of applicants per round, and round 2 gets twice as many applicants.

That's true, although from the Adcom's point of view, I think the logic is the other way around. They definitely fill 50% of the class (or at least, make 50% of the offers they intend to make overall) at the end of Round 1. The rest are made at the end of Round 2. Of course, there may be cases where the odd exceptional candidate or two will sneak in, but on the whole, this seems to be Adcom's approach.

Now, here lies the rub - its an open secret. While MIT Sloan has been following this strategy for the past God-knows-how-many years, the applicant pool has definitely smartened up to it recently. Hence - almost everyone knows that Sloan gets heavier app volumes in Round 2, with the Adcom themselves admitting to that fact on some chat. (For all you (actually, us) Quantum Physics buffs out there, this is like Schrodinger's Cat - knowledge of the current state will change the outcome.)

The point I'm trying to make is that I sincerely doubt whether the app volume in Round 2 is double that of Round 1 - applicants know that Round 1 is the leaner round, that 50% will get admitted in that round, and Sloan's R1 deadline is much later than that of other schools'. All of this adds up to the conclusion that "Round 1 is the round with better chances" - an arbitrage opportunity that most applicants would surely not pass up. This in turn, should lead to greater Round 1 volumes than previous years, somewhat balancing the skew between application rounds. So while I agree that Round 2 will definitely have more applications that Round 1, I don't think that number has been twice as many for the past two years or so.

All this logic amounts to nothing if everyone is already aware of this, and has decided to game the economics system by still submitting in Round 2.

Cheers,
MBAWanderlust

Kudos for a very good analysis. The real question is this: has knowledge about MIT's admissions preferences made its way out the masses enough to significantly change applicants' behaviors? I hope not, but then again, I'm a R1 applicant. :lol:
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
Kudos
aminor78 wrote:
thebdouglas wrote:
aminor78 wrote:
Yep, waitlisted also, without an interview. Is this standard WL procedure?

Not sure, I thought it was weird to get it without an interview. I also got stuck on the WL at stanford, but after an interview.

Yeah, they made no mention of interviewing in the note. But it seems strange that they would be willing to take people off the WL without at least talking to them.

The waitlist FAQ states that anyone taken off the waitlist will have to interview, so it should probably be considered as an "interview waitlist"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Sloan '15 (D)
WE:General Management (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
ln0038a wrote:
Grumppee17 wrote:
Ding!

Bon voyage Sloner! ;)

I'm sorry! Plenty of other great schools.

Did you just get an email notification telling you to check?

Yeah. It's time to move on though. This was my last attempt at b-school. Now it's time for some start-up endeavors I have up my sleeve. Best of luck to you!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
It's interesting that MIT is the only b-school I know of where they don't ask for your salary. I loved that.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.38
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
For the record I used my supplemental video to document the overcoming of my childhood weight issues and how it has made me the person (stronger) I am now. I think athletic and physical endeavors speak volumes of ones character especially when there is such a dramatic change. I was invited to interview and I'm thrilled. I did not have a linked In profile to link and I'm uncertain how much the supplemental video helped. To all, best of luck, can't wait for this process to be over and to finally start my journey

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
Kudos
Peruvian2013 wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone have ANY idea when do R2 interviews will start to go out?
And also, how much time after the R1 deadline do R1 interviews started to go out?
Thanks!

For R1, the application deadline was oct 24th and the invites started going out around Dec 4th. I am not sure if they will stick to that timeframe since they typically get more applications in R2.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [1]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Kudos
I couldn't agree more. Saying "kingfalcon said I wouldn't need them" won't hold up if your interviewer deviously asks for transcripts! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Send PM
Kudos
#thumbtwiddle
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
WE:Accounting (Insurance)
Send PM
Kudos
I hate this feeling of sitting here waiting for my phone to ring and knowing that most people have already gotten their calls..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Send PM
Kudos
So I get the email telling me the decision is available online - I go in expecting the ding/WL and strangely enough there's the letter telling me I'm in.
I was expecting a call Sloan - call me later maybe? Not that it matters ;)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, International Business
GPA: 3.53
WE:General Management (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
:x midnight in scotland but.... i'm IN!!!! no call, e-mail notification. WHOOOO DONE!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  57   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts