Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:03 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Stacy Blackman Consulting Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Facing Rejection at the End of the MBA Admissions Season [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Facing Rejection at the End of the MBA Admissions Season
While we know that many people are still awaiting the results of their Round 2 application efforts — or might get off of waitlists or be accepted somewhere in Round 3 — we also know there are MBA hopefuls whose journey has come to a disappointing end. What should you do if you were not accepted into any program?

In general, there are five different paths forward:

• Apply to other schools you’re interested in before Round 3 deadlines hit. If you chose this option you’ve likely already submitted additional applications, as the vast majority of Round 3 cutoffs have now past. As you probably already know, Round 3 is usually not an ideal option unless you have a strong reason for waiting so long and can communicate that reason to the adcom. Otherwise they may view your application as a last-ditch effort to go somewhere and not believe you are genuinely interested in their program. There are, of course, some unique circumstances in which we would recommend this route, but typically it’s not the way to go.
  • Reapply at the appropriate time in the future. We work with successful reapplicants every year, so this route can definitely lead to acceptance at your dream school. However, for the most competitive programs, your odds of being admitted as a reapplicant are better if you were asked to interview during your previous attempt; it’s clear the program in question was interested in you before, but luck just wasn’t on your side. (And no, you weren’t dinged last time because you bombed your interview — trust us.) The most important thing to do as a reapplicant is to reapply at the right time. As anxious as you may be to go back to school, you really have to demonstrate growth and have something new to talk about that strengthens your candidacy. (And in case you’re wondering, a higher GMAT score alone usually wouldn’t be enough.) This might mean waiting more than one application-year cycle before you reapply, especially if you are on the younger side of the candidate pool.
  • Apply to different schools in the next application year. If you’re willing to cast a larger net, so to speak, then applying to business school again sooner rather than later is a totally acceptable plan. In fact, the process will still be fresh in your mind and you might not need to change much about your resume or data forms — you may even be able to ask your same recommenders to prepare additional letters. Just be sure you take a really objective look at what your weaknesses might have been in your previous materials so that you can tweak as necessary.
  • Apply to part-time or evening MBA programs. If you really want to get an MBA but full-time programs are not working out for you, a part-time, weekend or evening program may be the way to go. You’ll still make lifelong friends, get a top-notch education, have access to the same alumni network as the full-time program and earn the same degree in the end!
  • Forgo business school. We know you may not even be able to imagine this path right now… and we also know it’s a bit weird for MBA admissions consultants to tell anyone that getting an MBA might not be the way to go. But the reality is that a good chunk of the world’s most respected and inspiring leaders and innovators do not hold a business degree. If you really want to achieve your long-term career goals, we have no doubt that you can do so without an MBA.
Think of it this way:

We’ll leave you with some uplifting words from one of our clients from this past application year who was a reapplicant accepted to both Harvard Business School and Stanford GSB:

“Trust the process. That’s what I kept telling myself when I decided to re-apply to the top 2 business schools in the world. I knew even an interview was beyond a long shot after being dinged without an interview in 2016 Round 2, but after the previous year’s rushed and half-hearted submission, I was determined to give it my all.

I vetted both MBAMission and SBC, and after my introductory call with Dawn I knew I had found my match. SBC’s approach was more introspective, not formulaic, and was specific to who I was as an applicant and the experiences that had shaped me into who I was. I was indeed a unique candidate and Dawn had a unique approach that was tailored to me, my experiences and my story.

Her in-depth knowledge of both schools and their specific applications helped put me at ease and gave me confidence that I could get past the black box of admissions and get to the interview stage. Not only did I get interviews at both schools, but I got offer letters from both as well. I would not have made it without her help and guidance.”

Read other client testimonials here!

Until next time,

The team at Stacy Blackman Consulting

***Do you want to stay on top of the application process with timely tips like these? Please subscribe to our weekly newsletter and you’ll receive our expert advice straight in your mailbox before it appears on the blog, plus special offers, promotions, discounts, invitations to events, and more.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
Michigan Ross Introduces REAL Experiential Learning Platform [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Michigan Ross Introduces REAL Experiential Learning Platform

The University of Michigan’s Ross School of Business has launched a brand-new concept in experiential learning called Ross Experiences in Action-Based Learning — REAL.

According to an announcement accompanying the launch, “REAL is a unifying concept that brings together the curricular and co-curricular opportunities that Michigan Ross students have now, and will have in the future, to start, advise, lead, and invest in real-world businesses.”

The four pillars of this initiative are:

REAL Start: Students develop a new business based on an original idea with the intent of achieving economic viability.

Michigan Ross students have the opportunity to take courses that have them developing real businesses as part of the curriculum, as well as co-curricular opportunities to develop their ideas can also lead to deeper mentoring, stronger business plan development, and large amounts of extra funding — the Michigan Business Challenge had its largest prize pool ever available for student startups this year.

REAL Advise: Student teams consult with a real-world organization on a pressing issue of strategic importance, providing substantive analysis and recommendations.

MAP remains the most immersive action-based program of it’s kind for full-time MBA students, sending the entire class of first-year students to work directly with an organization on solving a real business challenge.

This spring, Full-Time MBA students on MAP are partnering with more than 70 companies including  Facebook, Microsoft, Experian, Kraft, Google, and many more.

REAL Invest: Students manage seven focused investment funds, totaling more than $10 million in assets, in all aspects of their operations.

From early stage funds to funds that invest in more mature companies who are already making a profit, there are a diversity of experiences available to students interested in venture capital and fund management.

REAL Lead: In some of the newest REAL experiences available to Ross students, they assume functional responsibility for leading and operating an ongoing business concern, working with established corporate partners.

The Living Business Leadership Experience class, which kicked off last year, has students join teams working with companies like Shinola and Ford Smart Mobility. Read about how the teams working with Shinola this past semester were responsible for launching the company’s first ever line of headphones, in a recent post from one of the students responsible.

“I’m incredibly excited about the progress we’ve already made and the direction we’re heading,” said Scott DeRue, Edward J Frey Dean of Michigan Ross. “REAL represents the most comprehensive and effective experiential learning platform in business education, and it’s just getting started.”

You can learn more about Ross Experiences in Action-Based Learning courses and co-curricular opportunities here.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
3 Tips for MBA Admit Weekends [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: 3 Tips for MBA Admit Weekends

Admissions Preview Day at IU Kelley School of Business

If you’re an MBA candidate who has received multiple offers of admission to business school this season, you’re probably weighing where to spend the next two years of your life – not to mention hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Step one is to attend each program’s admit or welcome weekend. Spending time on campus around current students and other admitted applicants will go a long way in helping you decide which program is the better fit.

In addition to paying close attention to your overall gut feeling about the culture and energy on campus, you should keep these three goals top of mind during these events.

Tip 1: Network with potential future classmates. [/b]A hugely valuable component of an MBA program is that, over the next two years, you’ll create a network you will tap into for the rest of your career. Also, the intense nature of the business school experience bonds students and makes it a wonderful place to make lifelong friends.

During a welcome weekend, gauge your comfort level with the current students. How do you feel about your potential future classmates? Did you develop a nice rapport with any fellow attendees? Did you meet someone who could be a possible roommate, if you are looking for one?

While you’ll likely gravitate toward people with similar professional or cultural backgrounds at this type of event, take advantage of the fact that your possible future cohort is an extremely diverse group. By making an effort to meet people outside of your comfort zone, your admit weekend experience will be greatly enriched.

Tip 2: Learn all you can about student life. [/b]Of course, you already conducted exhaustive research about your target schools during the course of your applications and interviews, but now that you’re admitted, bring on the questions.

This is your chance to find out answers to all of the lingering doubts in your mind. Ask tons of questions about clubs, classes, favorite professors, travel opportunities and study abroad programs from current students who can fill in those remaining blanks.

Think of questions in advance and do a bit of research so that you know if there’s someone you want to talk with, a meeting you want to set up or a location you want to explore. Keep your interests and passions at the forefront of your mind during the visit to make absolutely sure the school in question can satisfy your nonnegotiable needs and wants.

If possible, stay in student dorms during your visit. Even if you have other housing plans, this is another valuable opportunity to meet current students and observe daily life on campus up close.

Tip 3: Get an authentic sense of the city or region.[/b] Candidates often apply to business schools in geographic areas that are new to them. Think about where you want to end up working after graduation.

Is the program in your desired city – or at least in the same overall region? Does it have a reputation for helping its students land jobs in the area you want to live?

Use this visit to get a better feel for housing options, too. Explore the neighborhoods where students live, and ask questions to clarify anything you would want to know before moving to a new city.

If location isn’t a major concern, then focus on what does matter most to you, whether that’s recruitment stats for certain industries, diversity or international opportunities. More than likely you reviewed all of this information when you were deciding where to apply in the first place, but now it warrants a second, closer look.

For applicants attending admitted student days at more than one program, go with an open mind and be prepared to reflect on the experience afterward. If you have already accepted an offer and visited the campus prior to admission, still attend the welcome weekend event and experience the school again without the anxiety you probably felt last time, particularly if your visit was for an interview.

The decision where to attend business school are personal, and every candidate has unique needs to fulfill. Use the preview weekend visit to make sure that you’ve found the right school for you.

Send PM
HBS Announces Winners of 2018 New Venture Competition [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: HBS Announces Winners of 2018 New Venture Competition

Last night at Harvard Business School, 12 student and alumni finalist teams made their pitches for $315,000 in cash prizes, plus in-kind prizes, at the Finale of the 21st annual HBS New Venture Competition (NVC).

The top prize in the student business, student social enterprise, and alumni tracks was $75,000 each, and  the finalists advanced through several rounds of judging. More than 300 judges, many of them HBS graduates, from such fields as venture capital, private equity, law, accounting, philanthropy, impact investing, and social entrepreneurship vigorously reviewed the new ventures.

Hosted each year by the school’s Arthur Rock Center for Entrepreneurship and its Social Enterprise Initiative, in partnership with HBS Alumni Clubs & Associations, the Harvard Business School New Venture Competition is open to all students and alumni interested in launching new business and social impact ventures.

This year, 360 teams entered the competition–127 in the Student Business Track, 69 in the Student Social Enterprise Track, and 164 Alumni track teams in 11 global regional competitions.

“The New Venture Competition is critical to entrepreneurship at HBS. Competition winners say it was the launching point of their businesses. The NVC Finale is the capstone event for HBS entrepreneurs,” said Jodi Gernon, Director of the Arthur Rock Center.

This year’s winners are:
Student Business Track

The Dubilier $75,000 Grand Prize: HOUR 72+

Insect-repelling tech that lasts three days (not hours) and will protect billions from insect-borne disease.

Team: Andrew Rothaus (MBA 2018), Abraar Karan

Student Social Enterprise Track

Peter M. Sacerdote $75,000 Grand Prize: Umbulizer

Umbulizer is developing a low-cost, portable ventilator for patients in resource-constrained markets.

Team: Hamza Khan (MBA 2019), Shaheer Piracha, Sanchay Gupta (Harvard Medical School 2021)

Alumni Track

$75,000 Grand Prize: DynamiCare Health

Digital platform for monitoring and rewarding recovery from addiction.

Alumnus: Eric Gastfriend (MBA 2015), CEO, Region: New England

“It is the culmination of a year-long journey that began last October for graduate students across the entire University and our global alumni,” added Matt Segneri, Director of the school’s Social Enterprise Initiative. “The NVC’s Social Enterprise Track has catalyzed the creation of cutting-edge social enterprises.”

Director of Alumni Clubs & Associations Mary-Helen Black noted, “Alumni find participating in the NVC pivotal, invaluable, and enlightening. It raises their profiles. In addition to the grand prizes from HBS, some of these startups receive funding from the chapters and from other investors after pitching in the regional local alumni competitions.”

In addition to the $315,000 in cash prizes, sponsors have donated in kind tools and services that will help the startups launch and grow. In-kind sponsors are Amazon Web Services (AWS), Baker Library/Bloomberg Center, The Bridgespan Group, Echoing Green, Foley Hoag LLP, Harvard i-labs, HubSpot, MassChallenge, Shoobx, and Sweeney Law Group LLC.

“Since its inception in 1997, 5,294 people have participated, and $2,340,000 in cash prizes has helped launch these student and alumni new ventures,” said Rock Center director Gernon. “We are grateful for the support of faculty, judges, regional alumni club leads, and sponsors who make the New Venture Competition a meaningful journey for HBS founders.”

Send PM
Ross School Adds New Concentration in Data and Business Analytics [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Ross School Adds New Concentration in Data and Business Analytics

We live in an era where analytics can make or break a company’s success, and employers need workers who understand and can manage one of today’s most important business issues.

Prospective MBA students looking to really hone their skills to develop data-driven business strategies should know that the University of Michigan’s Ross School of Business has just announced a new concentration in this area for the full-time MBA program.

Beginning in fall 2018, the Data and Business Analytics Concentration will launch under the leadership of Brad Killaly, associate dean of full-time and global MBA programs.  The FTMBA program began developing this concentration in 2017, spurred by feedback from students wanting a more specialized concentration focusing on big data.

“We’ve developed the Data and Business Analytics Concentration to meet the needs of today’s MBA student as well as today’s evolving business world,” says Killaly. “As students continue to seek careers in data-intensive industries, such as consulting and technology, Michigan Ross will offer the necessary business acumen that students can utilize to give themselves a competitive edge.”

Andrew Crisp, co-founder of education consultancy CarringtonCrisp, recently explained in the Financial Times (“Data science is the big draw in business schools”) that demand for big data courses is driven by an increase in lucrative job opportunities advertised for people with such qualifications.

This new, sharper focus on analytics will train Ross students in rigorous thinking and decision-making based on large data sets, rather than the isolated scenarios students might encounter in a typical case study.

Students in the concentration will take courses from an array of options that include big data management, marketing research, marketing engineering, advanced big data analysis, data mining, digital marketing, mobile innovation development, and information econometrics.

“We are excited to introduce the new data and business analytics concentration to the Michigan Ross FTMBA Program,” says Heather Byrne, Director of the Michigan Ross Career Development Office.

“Companies want individuals who can lead their organizations using data and thinking analytically. Our goal is to prepare students to explore career options in which they can apply these skills, and help companies source exceptionally-qualified talent.”

Send PM
Harvard Business School Previews Fall 2019 Deadlines, Essay Question [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Harvard Business School Previews Fall 2019 Deadlines, Essay Question

For those looking to get a jump start on their application to Harvard Business School this upcoming admissions season, Chad Losee, director of MBA admissions and financial aid, recently previewed the following MBA application deadlines and essay question for the 2018-19 admissions season.

ROUND 1
Application due: September 5, 2018

Decision released: TBA

ROUND 2
Application due: January 3, 2019

ROUND 3/2+2
Application due: Early April 2019

Harvard Business School strongly encourages international applicants to apply in rounds one or two to allow sufficient time for visa processing, as well as additional time to work on English fluency.

All applications are due at 12 noon EST on the day of the deadline. If submitted after 12 noon, applications will be considered in the following round. We’ll update this post with Round 3 and decision release information as it becomes available.

ESSAY QUESTION
The essay question will remain the same as last year: As we review your application, what more would you like us to know as we consider your candidacy for the Harvard Business School MBA Program? (no word count limit)

In the past, the HBS admissions team has suggested that applicants watch this video about the Case Method before beginning to write. Note that there is no word limit for this question, but as always, the team stresses that the goal is not to overthink, overcraft, and overwrite. Just answer the question in clear language that anyone outside of your industry would understand.

Applicants will have to answer a written reflection within 24 hours of their interview with an admissions staffer.

On Wednesday, June 6th, the HBS admissions team will hold an optional webinar walking through each element of the application, which goes live in early June. For more information, please visit the HBS admissions website.

Send PM
Columbia Business School Fall 2019 MBA Application Deadlines [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Columbia Business School Fall 2019 MBA Application Deadlines

Columbia Business School has announced the following MBA application deadlines for the 2018-2019 admissions season.

AUGUST ENTRY
Early Decision Deadline: October 3, 2018

Merit Based Fellowship Deadline: January 4, 2019

Final Decision Deadline: April 10, 2019

J-TERM 2019
Application Deadline: October 3, 2018

Students may enroll in either August or January. The CBS admissions website notes that the paths are identical in terms of competitiveness of admissions, academic rigor, and student resources, but they differ in terms of timing and the opportunity to complete a summer internship.

The August entry has two review periods — early decision and regular decision. Because CBS uses a rolling admissions process, it is always to your advantage to apply well before the deadline.

All applications are due at 11:59 p.m. EST on the day of the deadline.

For additional information, please visit the Columbia’s MBA admissions website.

Send PM
INSEAD Fall 2019 MBA Application Deadlines [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: INSEAD Fall 2019 MBA Application Deadlines

The following are the INSEAD MBA application deadlines for the September 2019 intake (Class of July 2020).

ROUND 1
Application due:  September 19, 2018

Decision released: November 23, 2018

ROUND 2
Application due: November 14, 2018

Decision released: January 25, 2019

ROUND 3
Application due: January 9, 2019

Decision released: March 15, 2019

ROUND 4
Application due: March 6, 2019

Decision released: May 10, 2019

Competition for each of the rounds is equal, but the earlier you gain admission, the more time you have to secure financing and arrange logistics. The online application form typically opens two months before each application deadline.

To be included in a specific round, applications must be complete and submitted by 23:59pm French time on the day of the deadline.

For more information, please visit the INSEAD MBA admissions website.

Send PM
Professor Profiles: Duke Fuqua’s Bill Mayew [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Professor Profiles: Duke Fuqua’s Bill Mayew
Having the opportunity to learn from the best and brightest minds in business is one of the top motivators for many applicants considering an MBA degree at an elite business school. The professors and lecturers you’ll encounter have worked in the trenches, and bring an incredible wealth of real-world experiences into the classroom setting.

In our new limited series of professor interviews on the SBC blog, readers will get to know a bit more about these brilliant academics, what fields most excite them, the trends they foresee, what they enjoy most about teaching at their respective universities, and how it all comes together with their students.

Today, let’s meet William Mayew, Associate Professor of Accounting at Duke University’s Fuqua School of Business.

Education: BS Accounting (UNC-Wilmington), MS Accounting (UNC-Wilmington), Ph.D (University Of Texas)

Courses taught:   Detecting Earnings Management, Financial Accounting

‘Vocal Fry’ Could Limit Success of Young Female Professionals, Holding Society to Account,  and A Manager’s Word Choice May Help Predict Bankruptcy are just a few of the fascinating articles online where you can learn more about Mayew’s research.

What do you like about the school you are teaching at?
Diversity in student experiences. Fuqua is known for embracing diversity among students, and in the classroom this leads to very rich discussions. I am amazed at some of the questions I get, and they help me think in different ways.

What’s changed since you entered the field?
Financial numbers are now accompanied by publicly broadcasted conference calls, which provides investors with additional information about how to interpret earnings numbers.

It also provides researchers like myself rich data to study the signals investors might respond to, including the earnings numbers, what words managers use, how managers sound when they talk, and how the market responds to financial analysts who ask probing questions during conference calls.

What can you do in the classroom to best prepare students for the real world?
I try to keep my content cutting edge by bringing in academic research and using examples from the popular press. When students can go right from my class to an interview and talk rigorously about current business events, I’ve done my job.

What are you most excited about that’s happening in your field?
Big data means there are more signals that one could analyze to understand how the market digests earnings numbers. There are live blogs, robo-media articles, tweets from companies, etc. that are expanding the information set available to investors. How these information sources combine to move stock prices is an enduring issue.

What role, if any, does ethics play in your curriculum, and how has that evolved over time?
Ethics is important in a class that is essentially about detecting when earnings numbers might not be of high quality. Ethics are the best deterrent for earnings manipulation. Teaching students that earnings management is not just a game that everyone is expected to play, but rather can lead to bad outcomes in the long run is an important part of my course.

How can business leaders make better decisions?
Invest in generating a culture where employees are comfortable sharing their ideas. Information flow inside of companies starts with people who have information being willing to share it. A culture where people feel free to share their ideas generates information flow that will in turn foster good decision-making.

What’s the impact you want to leave on your students? On the world?
I want my students to leave my class equipped in their careers to ask the correct questions.  They will not always know the answer, but if they know how to think about issues and communicate correctly, the will be positioned for long run success.

Thank you Professor Mayew for sharing your time and insights with our readers!

Send PM
Tuesday Tips: Harvard Business School Fall 2019 MBA Essay Tips [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Tuesday Tips: Harvard Business School Fall 2019 MBA Essay Tips

Harvard Business School has confirmed that the essay question for the class of 2021 remains unchanged from last year.

The most challenging part of the HBS essay is remaining disciplined. With unlimited space to make your case, you may be tempted to compose a laundry list of everything interesting or impressive you have ever done.

That urge could backfire, as the essay is used to determine who isn’t a fit for HBS as much as those who will move into the interview round for a closer look.  Who is Harvard looking for? The admissions committee writes that “Habit of Leadership, Analytical Aptitude and Appetite, and Engaged Community Citizenship” are the common characteristics of a successful applicant.

Class of 2021 admissions essay question:
As we review your application, what more would you like us to know as we consider your candidacy for the Harvard Business School MBA Program? (no word count limit)

A note on word count: HBS values brevity in essays. Do not be tempted to go overboard with a 2,000 word essay, rather focus on concise and clear writing and consider keeping this essay in the ~1,000 word range. Our clients have successfully composed essays anywhere from 500-1,300 words, though you should take a pass through your essay to cut any unnecessary words if you find yourself on the upper end of that range.

Because there is no stated word count you do have the flexibility to take extra space if you are telling a compelling story that needs it.

The goal of this essay is to know yourself, know HBS, and know how to match the two to demonstrate your fit for the school. Your first task should be to evaluate all of the other aspects of your candidacy – what is the story your resume tells? What do you think recommenders will say? How does your transcript communicate your skills, accomplishments and interests? Then you need to evaluate how to fill the gaps with the essay.

Check out the incoming class profile for some idea of what a “typical” HBS student is like. We have found that both personal and career-oriented topics can work, and most candidates tell more than one story in the essay. In the past, we have observed that successful HBS essays often demonstrate a core driving passion. HBS students are ambitious, motivated, and never boring.

As you consider possible stories to tell in this essay keep in mind that HBS has always been highly focused on leadership and really loves candidates with a track record of leadership impact and future potential. If you can demonstrate a success trajectory that indicates upper management potential and a passion for impact in both business and society, use that material.

Accomplishments have traditionally been a strong focus of HBS essays. If you have an interesting and revealing accomplishments story it may be a good topic for part of this essay, particularly if your key accomplishments are not obvious when reading your resume or transcripts.

All of that being said, the goal of this essay is to understand who you are. “Be genuine” advises the HBS admissions blog, and continues: “Yes, we want you to put your best foot forward, but be careful not to be so “polished” that we can’t get to know the real you.” Setbacks and lessons learned can be just as informative as success stories if the stories reveal more about what motivates and inspires you.

A note on what not to do: We see many applicants tempted to include “why HBS” type information in HBS essays. Unlike most MBA programs, HBS has never asked “why HBS” in an application essay question. Explaining why the case method, specifically, is a good fit for you and your learning style may be appropriate.

However, avoid lengthy explanations about how HBS is your top choice. Due to the level of competition for Harvard Business School, we believe it’s more effective for you to use the space to provide detailed information about you and your strong candidacy.

Looking for guidance on your HBS application? Contact us to learn more about Stacy Blackman Consulting.

Image credit: Chris Han (CC BY-NC-SA 2.0)

Send PM
Next Steps for Admitted MBA Students [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Next Steps for Admitted MBA Students

Once the euphoria over your acceptance to the b-school of your dreams has subsided slightly, it’s time to refocus your energies to all of the big and little details that make up your admitted MBA student To Do List.  Here are some of the specific areas that need your immediate attention.

Give notice gracefully:  If your supervisor already knew of and supported your plans to attend business school, sharing the great news of your admission won’t be awkward at all. However, if you had to keep the news quiet so as not to jeopardize your employment, now is the time to let your employer know that you’re leaving.

You should explain your reasons, give plenty of notice, and offer to help train your replacement if applicable. Make every possible effort to leave on good terms in order to keep this part of your professional network intact.

Set up a budget: Get your finances in order, avoid credit card debt, and save, save, save as much as you can in the months before school starts. Now is the time to forgo unnecessary purchases and live slightly below your means, if possible. Remember, your projected budget should factor in expenses beyond tuition and living costs, such as travel, student clubs, and those study abroad trips that greatly enrich the b-school experience.

Make housing arrangements: This aspect varies depending on the school. For example, at Harvard Business School, 80% of MBA students live on campus, and housing in residence halls is assigned by lottery. Other schools offer limited on-campus housing and refer new students to rental houses or apartment complexes nearby.

Prospective students can visit apartments and houses throughout their new city during Welcome Weekend, and should start the process early. Schools have strict deadlines for campus housing, so make sure to find out those important dates early on if you prefer to live on campus.

Brush up on quant skills: Business schools regularly report that a fair number of soon-to-be first-year students lack some basic quantitative skills. Review the course syllabus online and purchase textbooks in advance if you can.

Many top MBA programs offer so-called math camps for accepted students during the summer as a refresher of critical concepts. If you have any weak spots in this area, sign up so that you’re ready to hit the ground running once school starts.

Consider a pre-MBA program: A growing number of admits are doing pre-MBA internships to explore a new field of interest, gain training insights, and begin networking with recruiters months before the formal recruiting process begins.

Others participate in short, company-sponsored programs, such as the J.P. Morgan MBA Early Advantage Program or Google Student Veteran Summit. Deadlines are fast approaching, so don’t delay if this option interests you.

Still other admits take advantage of pre-term, non-academic travel programs, such as Kellogg Worldwide Experiences & Service Trips (KWEST), which unite more than 80% of incoming students through social, site-seeing and community service activities.

Reach out to fellow classmates: Schools often host receptions for admits where they can mingle and network with alumni and their fellow admits. Welcome Weekend is another prime opportunity to begin the process of connecting with your future cohort, and if you’ve followed the MBA forums, and blogs of MBA applicants, then you may already have a head start on building relationships with other admits.

Find out if your program hosts a Facebook group for your class, and if not, offer to help set one up. Business schools make it easy for classmates to get to know each other pre-term, so take advantage of these social opportunities and you’ll arrive on campus feeling already at home.

Finally, enjoy some quiet time before things get crazy. Cross a few items off your bucket list, connect with family and friends you won’t see much of during the next two years, and dive into those hobbies and extracurriculars that made you a desirable, well-rounded candidate in the first place.

The months leading up to the start of business school is an exciting time, and one that flies by in a flash. Knowing what to expect and laying the foundation for a smooth transition to student life will make your first year less stressful and even more rewarding.

Send PM
Poets & Quants Partners with Ross School for MBA Summit [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Poets & Quants Partners with Ross School for MBA Summit

The business education news portal Poets & Quants is partnering with Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan for an interactive MBA panel event on May 1st that will address key questions about the MBA admissions process from prospective b-school applicants.

The live and live-streaming program, hosted by Poets & Quants founder and editor-in-chief John A. Byrne, will include admissions directors from Michigan Ross, UC Berkeley Haas School of Business, and Yale School of Management, as well as executives from top recruiters at Google, McKinsey, and Amazon. MBA program graduates will also be there to answer questions about the applicant, student and recruiting experiences.

The event, held at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, will feature three distinct panels that will address key questions from MBA candidates. As Ross admissions director Soojin Kwon explains in a recent update to her blog, “We will answer questions like: how we assess and weight each part of the application, and what to do if you have a less-than-stellar GPA.”

Meanwhile, Byrne calls this a unique event designed to provide a window into the whole MBA experience. “Over the course of three panels, students and alumni will get the inside scoop on finding the right MBA program, the application process, and finally what the top recruiters look for in an MBA — all streamed live to the Poets&Quants homepage and website.”

The MBA Summit invites prospective students to attend the event in person on the Ann Arbor (seating is limited), or to register to view the livestream on May 1, 2018 at 9 a.m. ET. Learn more about the MBA Summit event and register  for this great opportunity today.

Send PM
Use LinkedIn to Bolster Your MBA Profile [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Use LinkedIn to Bolster Your MBA Profile

When Kaplan polled 150 business school admissions departments last fall, more than a third said they have visited applicants’ social media profiles to learn more about them when making admissions decisions.

Among admissions officers who visit applicants’ social media footprints, half said they found something that negatively impacted an applicant’s admissions chances — more than triple the 14 percent who reported this when surveyed on the subject in 2011. Both of those percentages will surely go up.

We’ve talked about cleaning up your online presence before, and today we’re sharing a few specific tips you can use to enhance your LinkedIn profile to further support your MBA candidacy. Having a LinkedIn profile that shows your unique personality and presents your professional/life experiences  in an interesting way can help sway an on-the-fence adcomm member in your favor.

Tip 1. Use LinkedIn to differentiate yourself. Your profile should highlight your leadership, noteworthy accomplishments, as well as present a full picture of your interests, passions and career goals that complements what’s already in your application or provides even more insight to the reader. An MBA interviewer may look over your profile to get a better sense of your personality before the meeting, so this is the place to start the process of winning over your audience.

In the headline, be specific about your professional role but also think about whether you can provide a broader picture of yourself in this prime piece of real estate. For example, you may work as a staff consultant at Bain & Company or as an analyst at Goldman Sachs, but if you’ve also co-founded a non-profit organization helping girls in the Middle East obtain educational opportunities—as our client Ali had—listing that position in your headline will set you apart from the typical analyst in the applicant pool.

Tip 2. Quantify your achievements.  Admissions committees like to see results, so try to quantify results in dollar amounts or percentages whenever possible within the body of your profile just as you would in your MBA-tailored resume. It is much more powerful to write that you “created a marketing plan that resulted in a 30 percent increase in leads,” as opposed to noting that you simply “created a marketing plan.”

Managing a staff is interesting, but the fact that you managed a staff of over 30 employees and improved profitability by 25%, is something a reader can understand. By giving the reader a number, you give them the chance to see just what kind of leader you were, and will be.

Tip 3. Your LinkedIn “Interests” should match and support your candidacy. If your application touches on your keen interest in renewable energy, micro investing in India, or Silicon Valley startups, this section should show that you’re following influencers or organizations in those industries. This consistency reinforces the narrative within your application and lends credibility to your stated interests and passions.

Tip 4. Make sure career and education information is consistent with your MBA application. This sounds obvious, but our memories can get fuzzy and small discrepancies are actually pretty common. Cross-check your education, employer names, and dates to ensure all are in the proper order. Consistency between your LinkedIn profile and MBA application is key.

If the person reviewing your application spots inconsistencies compared to the data form, you’re inviting additional scrutiny and potentially raising a red flag that puts other aspects of your application under the microscope.

LinkedIn is an incredible tool for MBA applicants, and a smart way to bolster your candidacy while providing a fuller, multi-dimensional view of yourself to the admissions committee as well as future recruiters. Isn’t it time you revisited your profile to make sure it’s MBA-ready?

Whether you need to professionalize an existing profile or develop a presence on an entirely new platform, SBC can provide informed direction on which steps to take. For a b-school applicant, proper management of social media channels can also help you expand the scope of your application without infringing on limited essay word counts.

Learn more about the SBC Social Media Strategy Review, and you can set yourself up for a lifetime of online social success.

Send PM
Are You B-School Bound this Fall? Read On [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Are You B-School Bound this Fall? Read On
If you’ll be starting business school this fall, congratulations! It may seem like years ago that you first began work on your applications, or you might feel like the whole process flew by. Either way, you now have just a few months left before you head to campus and take your first official steps toward earning your MBA. And we guarantee that those remaining weeks will go quickly.

So what you should do between now and then?

Obviously everyone’s situation is different. Some future students choose to work up until they leave for school in an effort to save as much money as possible. Others have already given their employers notice and are off traveling the world or putting in quality time with friends and family. And still others will choose to follow the growing trend of participating in a pre-MBA internship.

You probably already know how you’re going to spend the bulk of your time before business school. But here are a few items to put on your To Do list just in case:

• Thank your recommenders. Big time. Meaning, take them to dinner, get them a small gift, or at the very least write a heartfelt thank-you note. Don’t underestimate the role your recommenders played in helping your candidacy — their glowing praise and memorable examples of your accomplishments might have been what convinced the adcom that they just had to have you in their program.
  • Thank the rest of your support system. You likely had someone else read over your essays or spell-check your application. You probably also had some good friends who listened patiently as you stressed out about everything from the GMAT to interviews to Notification Day.Make sure you let them know you how much their support meant to you. Even better, return the favor the next time they need help with something.
  • Get your finances in order. Even if you know where the majority of the money is coming from that will fund your MBA — be it personal savings, student loans, scholarships/grants or assistance from your family — now is the time to think about a monthly budget for your months on campus. There will be no shortage of opportunities to spend money over the next two years, and you should prioritize what’s most important to you before everything and everyone starts competing for your time.Would traveling for an industry trek be more important than going on spring break with sectionmates? Would you want to hit the slopes with your program’s Ski Club or participate in an international opportunity? If you know you won’t be able to afford it all, start thinking about what you definitely don’t want to miss out on and prioritize from there. Your savings account will thank you later.
  • Make new friends, but keep the old. Start getting to know your new classmates through your program’s intranet, message boards and local meetups. It’s a great feeling to already have a few acquaintances before you even step foot on campus. But don’t forget about the co-workers, friends and family members you’ll be saying goodbye to.Yes, there are tons of ways to stay in touch with people these days so it’s not like you’re going to totally drop off the face of the earth.Except that you kinda are — at least for a little while. Business school is intense.You’ll be mentally and physically exhausted during your first year (in a good way, we promise). So get some quality time in with those you care about now and forewarn them you may be a little less communicative than usual this fall.
Most of all, enjoy this unique period in your life. One chapter is closing and another (very exciting) one is beginning. Take some time to celebrate your huge accomplishment before classes start!

Think of it this way:

Just because you got into b-school doesn’t mean we have to say goodbye. In fact, Stacy’s has a column that focuses exclusively on what she’s learned post-MBA from growing Stacy Blackman Consulting, and we assure you it will be relevant to your future pursuits. Don’t miss The Bigger Picture — the insight in Stacy’s recent “Trust the Process” entry will be especially important to keep in mind as you start school in the fall.

Until next time,

The team at Stacy Blackman Consulting

***Do you want to stay on top of the application process with timely tips like these? Please subscribe to our weekly newsletter and you’ll receive our expert advice straight in your mailbox before it appears on the blog, plus special offers, promotions, discounts, invitations to events, and more.

Send PM
The Bigger Picture: Decide No Matter What [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: The Bigger Picture: Decide No Matter What
I recently had dinner with a group who ran the New York Marathon. They were all first-timers and their experiences varied. It was fun to hear about each unique journey.

One woman told me that by mile 16 she was really struggling but when she came across her children on the side cheering her on, she felt a huge surge of energy. A good friend told me that running across the bridge was the worst part. He described the exhaustion and said that pain at some point was unavoidable. Another chimed in about how brutal it was when he went for his first run following the race. The others could not believe how quickly he was able to rebound and train again.

One thing was clear: it had been excruciating for all of them. No one escaped without physical and mental anguish. Yet they all finished, and there was absolutely no question that they would. There was no way that any of these individuals would have given up. At one point, they simply made a decision. Yes, they trained and bought the right clothes. They fueled their bodies slept well the night before. But ultimately, it was not about any of those tactics. At the end of the day, it was all in their heads: They all decided that they would finish no matter what. Stopping was not an option.

It got me thinking about how powerful our minds are. Our brains can play tricks on us and steer us completely off course. But, our minds can also be our biggest allies, and the key to the achievement of our most ambitious goals.

I love the quiet and do my best work early in the morning, so have been trying to wake up earlier. It’s been tough. Some days I just sleep right through my alarm with no recollection at all of turning it off. And yet, when I had to rise at 3am to catch a flight, I did it, no problem. I got up on time, even though I went to bed too late. I did it because I had to, no matter what.

I am a sugar junkie and have a really hard time staying away from sweets. But when I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes during my third pregnancy and had to abstain from junk food for a full six months, I did it with ease. I had to stay away from candy for the health of my baby. I had to do it, no matter what.

Is there something you have been struggling with? Cracking open that GMAT guide? Losing ten pounds? Saving money for a big trip? Making a difficult phone call? Launching a new career initiative?

Decide right now, that you will do it no matter what.  If you really, truly make that decision and don’t give yourself an out, I am confident that it will happen. I may not know you or your circumstances, but I know a few simple truths about life. If you decide you will, you will. No matter what.

Send PM
Tuck School Announces $250M Capital Campaign [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Tuck School Announces $250M Capital Campaign
Last week, the Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth publicly launched The Tuck Difference: The Campaign for Tomorrow’s Wise Leaders, a $250-million philanthropic endeavor that is part of Dartmouth’s $3-billion comprehensive campaign.

The Tuck Difference has already surpassed an earlier target, with key supporters pledging $132 million leading up to the announcement.

According to the statement, the top priorities of the campaign are new investments in students—increasing Tuck’s current scholarship abilities—as well as investments in support of faculty excellence, program innovation, and campus revitalization.

“The order of these priorities—people, programs, places—is important,” says Tuck Dean Matthew J. Slaughter. “Our most cherished asset is talent. The dynamism and diversity of our students and our faculty are why Tuck thrives. They are the reason increasing our ability to attract the very best students and scholar-educators to sustain a world-class learning community comes first.”

“This is an ambitious goal,” Slaughter acknowledges of the campaign, “but Tuck is an ambitious place. Our graduates are a powerful part of our success. They are today’s wise leaders forging the path for tomorrow’s.”

“Tuck’s success rests on our ability to anticipate and adapt to the changing world. This is the innovative spirt that has kept Tuck at the forefront of business education for generations. To ensure we remain there, we must secure the excellence of our MBA program and seek out innovative new opportunities for pre- and post-MBA learners,” Slaughter says.

Read more about the Campaign for Tomorrow’s Wise Leaders here.

Send PM
Kellogg to Host First-Ever Global Women’s Summit [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Kellogg to Host First-Ever Global Women’s Summit

Women now make up more than half of the incoming classes in the top U.S. universities, but still only a small fraction of CEOs, board directors, NGO and government leaders. The Kellogg School of Management has identified three critical key decision points or “pivot points” (launch, mid-career, executive) where women face career barriers that are unique culturally and biologically.

On Tuesday, May 8th and May 9th, Kellogg will convene its first-ever Global Women’s Summit. The Global Women’s Summit will bring together exceptional women leaders, including featured speaker Sherry Lansing, former CEO of Paramount Pictures, Dean Sally Blount and Ellen Kullman, former CEO of DuPont, to share advice, insights and counsel from women on how to navigate each of these pivot points – including topics like managing up, leading in a biased world, and making bold moves to advance your career.

The event will bring together more than 800 Kellogg women in Evanston. Kellogg will share these inspirational insights and crucial advice broadly by live-streaming fourteen of the event’s sessions.

Tuesday, May 8th
3:30 p.m. – 3:55 p.m.

Dean’s Welcome – Navigating the Key Career Pivot Points for Women

3:55 p.m. – 4:35 p.m.

Kellogg’s Investment in Women

4:35 p.m. – 5:15 p.m.

A Conversation with Hollywood Leading Lady, Sherry Lansing

Session 1: 5:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.

Letting Go of Perfection Positioning Yourself for a Board Seat

Wednesday, May 9th
Session 2: 8:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m. How Bold Moves Can Make Your Career

Session 3: 9:10 a.m. – 10:10 a.m. Interacting Effectively with the Board Managing Well – Up, Down, and Across

Session 4: 10:20 a.m. – 11:20 a.m. Negotiating for Yourself on Your Way In, Up, and Out

Session 5: 12:50 p.m. – 1:50 p.m. Disrupt Yourself: Putting the Power of Disruptive Innovation to Work

Session 6: 2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. Creating a Powerful Second Act Generating Capital for Female Founders and CEOs 

Closing Sessions:

3:15 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. What We Wish We Had Known: Lessons To and From Our Children

4:30 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. Dean’s Closing and Call to Action

Don’t miss this unique opportunity to stream these thoughtful conversations about the roadblocks women face on their route to the C-suite.

A Note for Female MBA Applicants
Business schools have really ramped up their efforts to recruit and groom future women leaders, so if you’re a woman planning on pursuing an MBA, make sure to take advantage of every available opportunity. During the school research phase, a great place to start is at a workshop event for women hosted by the program you’re considering.

While you’ll also want to attend general information sessions, these diversity events allow you to meet and network with other prospective students, current students, alumni, and faculty, as well as provide a chance to listen and ask questions about the specific opportunities for woman in the MBA program.

In the last five years, women’s enrollment at Forté Foundation member schools has steadily gained each year, according to a report released in December. Fall 2017 saw 17 schools that had 40% or more women enrolled (including Kellogg), up from only two schools that reached this milestone in the fall of 2013.

Despite some barriers, real or perceived, women considering business school should know the MBA degree truly is the one of the best ways to transform their career by giving them the skills and knowledge necessary to be successful.

GMAT Club Bot
Kellogg to Host First-Ever Global Women’s Summit [#permalink]
   1  ...  63   64   65   66   67  ...  136