Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:30 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [22]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63672 [151]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63672 [14]

Send PM
General Discussion
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63672 [12]

Send PM
Re: Strategy of v40+ performers under time pressure [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
adkikani wrote:
GMATNinja

Based on your decade of experience of mentoring students (not to make you sound
less younger) can you associate a raw value score to distinguish between timing and
conceptual gaps?

Eg: A raw score of V 30 is related to a person not able to apply concepts well

A raw score if V 40 means he knows the rules and applications but can not perform
under clock running, partially because of less practice or getting anxious.

Looking forward to hear from you. :-)

Actually, saying just "a decade of experience" makes me sound younger. In order to preserve fantasies that I'm still youthful, I won't say how long I've actually been teaching. ;)

On to your question: there's no simple rules that could possibly be applied in these situations. I can think of a whole ton of reasons why somebody might earn a 30V instead of something higher:

• Poor fundamental reading skills in English (inability to understand the exact meaning of sentences/paragraphs/passages with much precision)
  • Slow reading (test-taker might be able to understand language well, but can't do so quickly enough to finish the section in time)
  • Lack of understanding of fundamental grammar/usage rules in English
  • Inability to apply those grammar/usage rules, even if they understand those rules
  • Test anxiety
  • Bad, sloppy test-taking habits (reading too quickly, accidentally clicking the wrong "button" on a question, etc.)
  • Bad time management (getting bizarrely stubborn on a few questions, leading to scrambling elsewhere in the section)
  • Misunderstanding the logic behind certain question types (assumptions or inferences, for example)
  • Inability to focus fully for the duration of the exam

And I could go on. Bottom line: it would be a massive oversimplification to suggest that test-takers who score at a certain level have anything in particular in common. We're all individuals, and the things that cause us trouble -- even on the very same exam -- are as different as we are from each other.

I hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 184 [4]
Given Kudos: 285
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.65
WE:Marketing (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
GMATNinja wrote:
I think it might be helpful to think of this as two separate issues:

1) Can you be faster -- or at least more efficient -- in how you answer questions?
2) If you can't realistically answer all 41 questions comfortably, what timing strategies should you employ?

I don't think you're asking about the first issue here. And that question would take forever to answer accurately and thoroughly, anyway! But there's plenty of material here on GMAT Club that can help you become more efficient on verbal, and you're probably already working hard at that. :)

But is there anything that you can do strategically to help manage your time on verbal? I don't really think so, to be honest.

Here's the thing: on an adaptive test like the GMAT, your score isn't really based on how many questions you miss. It's based on which questions you miss, since the algorithm is basically trying to find the level of question at which you get roughly 50% correct. So if you miss easy questions, the algorithm will give you more easy questions, and then you're in trouble. But if you miss hard questions? Not a big deal, as long as you get the easier ones right.

On quant, the strategy is simple enough: if you don't know how to answer a question, guess and move on, so that you save your time for the stuff you can handle. But you can't really do that on verbal. By the time you realize that a question is difficult, you're probably 80% or 90% finished with the question. And at that point, it's silly to guess unless you're absolutely stuck -- if that extra little bit of time will help you get the question right, you might as well spend it.

And in general, there's no good way to cut corners on verbal. If you try to consciously "speed up", you might end up misreading passages or sentences -- and then you risk missing easy questions. And on an adaptive test, that can ruin your day.

So all you can really do is keep answering questions as efficiently as you can until you're almost out of time, and then guess toward the end. Imagine, for example, that you can only answer 36 questions thoroughly, and you have to guess on the last 5. That's not a big deal: if you've taken care of business on the first 36, the last five will be HARD. And you can afford to miss them if they're that hard.

I've seen this in action plenty of times. Occasionally, I have students who are simply ridiculously slow readers. Even after they've maximized their efficiency on verbal, they're still slow -- and I've seen plenty of them score in the low 40s on verbal (low-to-mid 700s composite), even though they had to guess on a few at the end. It's not a big deal, as long as you're super-accurate before those last few questions. I suppose that you could try to be a little bit strategic toward the very end of the test -- guessing, for example, on CR if you tend to be slower at those, and saving your time for the last couple of SCs. But that won't really save you much time, unless you're MUCH slower at CR than SC.

Again, if you can just become better and faster at verbal, that might solve the entire problem. But I otherwise, I wouldn't over-think your timing strategy on verbal. Just answer questions to the best of your ability until you start to run out of time, and then pray for some lucky guesses at the end of the test. But a few guesses at the end definitely won't, by themselves, cause a score meltdown.

I hope this helps!

WAW GMATNinja, you are my superhero! This is what I am looking for!

I am non-native speaker, and surprisingly just started to learn seriously on English grammar in last year. Therefore, all of Verbal section on GMAT give serious problems for me. In the last GMAT mock test, I skipped all of the RC passage just to make sure that I could finish all of the SC and CR - this strategy ended up with 8 minutes left on the Verbal section and - of course - relative low score :oops: :oops:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 345 [3]
Given Kudos: 854
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
ramukaka wrote:
Hi folks
A question from someone striving to achieve V40+ . How do they deal with solving 700-800 level CR questions in 2 mins and that for SC in 1 min ? People say that you can't . In that case if you stretch the those difficult CR to 3 mins or more and difficult SC to 2 mins or more you would fall short of time and run into the risk of guessing answers towards the end of the exam. The result of that might be a continuous series of wrong answers towards the end affecting your score and putting it below V40 .

Please guide me here.

ram

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

If your concepts are generally good, do a lot of timed tests by intentionally stretching your capabilities in terms of speed of answering questions. Maybe give yourself a few minutes less per session than actual GMAT would allow and this should make your mind adjust to dealing with questions quicker.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [3]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
septwibowo wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
I think it might be helpful to think of this as two separate issues:

1) Can you be faster -- or at least more efficient -- in how you answer questions?
2) If you can't realistically answer all 41 questions comfortably, what timing strategies should you employ?

I don't think you're asking about the first issue here. And that question would take forever to answer accurately and thoroughly, anyway! But there's plenty of material here on GMAT Club that can help you become more efficient on verbal, and you're probably already working hard at that. :)

But is there anything that you can do strategically to help manage your time on verbal? I don't really think so, to be honest.

Here's the thing: on an adaptive test like the GMAT, your score isn't really based on how many questions you miss. It's based on which questions you miss, since the algorithm is basically trying to find the level of question at which you get roughly 50% correct. So if you miss easy questions, the algorithm will give you more easy questions, and then you're in trouble. But if you miss hard questions? Not a big deal, as long as you get the easier ones right.

On quant, the strategy is simple enough: if you don't know how to answer a question, guess and move on, so that you save your time for the stuff you can handle. But you can't really do that on verbal. By the time you realize that a question is difficult, you're probably 80% or 90% finished with the question. And at that point, it's silly to guess unless you're absolutely stuck -- if that extra little bit of time will help you get the question right, you might as well spend it.

And in general, there's no good way to cut corners on verbal. If you try to consciously "speed up", you might end up misreading passages or sentences -- and then you risk missing easy questions. And on an adaptive test, that can ruin your day.

So all you can really do is keep answering questions as efficiently as you can until you're almost out of time, and then guess toward the end. Imagine, for example, that you can only answer 36 questions thoroughly, and you have to guess on the last 5. That's not a big deal: if you've taken care of business on the first 36, the last five will be HARD. And you can afford to miss them if they're that hard.

I've seen this in action plenty of times. Occasionally, I have students who are simply ridiculously slow readers. Even after they've maximized their efficiency on verbal, they're still slow -- and I've seen plenty of them score in the low 40s on verbal (low-to-mid 700s composite), even though they had to guess on a few at the end. It's not a big deal, as long as you're super-accurate before those last few questions. I suppose that you could try to be a little bit strategic toward the very end of the test -- guessing, for example, on CR if you tend to be slower at those, and saving your time for the last couple of SCs. But that won't really save you much time, unless you're MUCH slower at CR than SC.

Again, if you can just become better and faster at verbal, that might solve the entire problem. But I otherwise, I wouldn't over-think your timing strategy on verbal. Just answer questions to the best of your ability until you start to run out of time, and then pray for some lucky guesses at the end of the test. But a few guesses at the end definitely won't, by themselves, cause a score meltdown.

I hope this helps!

WAW GMATNinja, you are my superhero! This is what I am looking for!

I am non-native speaker, and surprisingly just started to learn seriously on English grammar in last year. Therefore, all of Verbal section on GMAT give serious problems for me. In the last GMAT mock test, I skipped all of the RC passage just to make sure that I could finish all of the SC and CR - this strategy ended up with 8 minutes left on the Verbal section and - of course - relative low score :oops: :oops:

Hey, as I can fully connect with "the timing on verbal" I'd like to add my experience here. I have tried two things actually and here is what I noticed. For both situations I had around 15 mins for the last 10 questions and both tests were around the same time during my prep (so my competency was roughly the same).

1. After 3 questions which I did sanely (for 1-1.30 mins for each), I got an RC with 4 questions. Since, I didn't want to miss it. I gave it a quick reading (which took around 2 mins) and attempted all questions in just a single reading, i.e, under 30 secs for each questions. And then rushed through rest of the CR and SC questions, giving avg 1 min to each.
I found that I was able to get just 1 RC question correct and 2 question from the rest as correct. But reviewing the questions, I found that If I could have given the last 2 choices a little more though, like 15 secs more, I could have got them correct. But to be able to do that I had to skip/ mark randomly all 4 questions of my RC (assuming all wrong).

2. So, in another attempt I did that. Even after putting in a lot of effort, and not giving up my accuracy, I still had around 15 mins for last 10 questions. This time I completely skipped the RC without even reading it. This time I accidentally got 1 RC answer correct, but from the rest of the SC and CR questions I got just 1 wrong.

However, in both these cases I scored the same 35. But personally, I felt much better while doing the second one, in which I totally skipped the last RC. As I am generally more comfortable in SC and CR than RC, I felt much confident and invested my time in getting probably more right answers. Also, in the first scenario my accuracy went down drastically as I was barely skimming through the last 7-8 questions. So, all of those questions were at much more risk than they were in the second case.

Experts: I request you to please comment on my little experiment. And which one do you think will be better?
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [2]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Ideally, you would answer the easier verbal questions in well under two minutes each, thus leaving extra time that you can use when answering the hardest verbal questions so that you can spend more than two minutes each on some of the hardest questions.

Alternatively, since there are not that many super hard questions in the verbal section, when answering those questions, you could narrow the choices down to two or three and guess, so that you don't take more than two minutes to answer them. You can score V40+ while missing a few of the hardest questions.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63672 [2]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
dcoolguy wrote:

Thank you very much GMATNinja, this is such an insightful explanation about timing.
Well, I just want to confirm a thing. you said system adjust your defficulty level as per your inputs. Does it mean if someone is answering medium level question with an sccuracy of 50% and easy ones with 80% (1-2 silly mistakes on easy ones. )- he will keep getting medium question or the question type will be fluctuating between - easy to medium, in that is it still possible to score V35+, even after gussing on last 4-5 question?

I am able to solve medium question in all formats with 75-80% accuracy by taking extra 2-3 minuts per question (In SC maybe 2min Cr 4-5, RC 3-4 min per Qn), but when I try to solve under time pressure, I get about 50% accuracy (reason is I am able to comprehend but a slow reader).
but I do solve easy ones with 80-90% accuracy under time.

1. Is my 50% accuracy ok for medium ones under timed and is it ok to miss few easy one (1-2 due to silly mistakes)?

because I am a slow reader, I take more time in lengthy sections (RC>CR>SC- extra timing order), so there is no way I can attempt 4 RC, I can attempt 2 RCs with good accuracy not sure about 3 (I can try). I have reached a pleatue and I can't improve my score through Gmat concepts anymore, because I am a slow reader. I am planning to take my test in one month, seeking for atleast V35.

2. Whats the best thing I can do? in each section?

Sometimes I think I am close to my desired score, sometimes it looks far away :(

It would a great help, If I can get an expert opinion.

Thank you :please:

I'll be blunt: if you're making sloppy errors on the easy questions, you're playing with fire. Your scores are going to be incredibly unstable if you make careless errors, and it's impossible to even guess what will happen under the circumstances you've described. If you make errors on easy questions, there's a chance that you never even see medium questions. Maybe you'll get lucky, and you won't make your careless errors until after the questions have gotten more difficult. But maybe not.

In other words: I don't think there's any real value in asking hypothetical questions about your score, based on the data you've provided. The more important question: what can you to do to improve on the things that matter?

Sure, reading speed is largely "baked in" by the time you hit adulthood, and there might not be a whole lot you can do to change it. But is your approach to verbal questions really optimal? For example, are you over-reading passages, fixating on details that aren't really worth your time? Are you skimming passages too quickly, forcing you to stumble inefficiently through the questions? Are you obsessing over non-existent "rules" on SC, while ignoring the most efficient opportunities to eliminate answer choices? These sorts of things are exactly the focus of all of our verbal videos.

Honestly, based on the data you've provided (which obviously is pretty general, and certainly merits many grains of salt), it's going to be a real struggle to get into the mid-30s on verbal. I don't think it's possible to score that high if you make careless errors AND struggle on medium-level questions AND come nowhere close to finishing the section on time. But you can always take an official mba.com test and see for yourself.

And more importantly: you need to take a good, hard look at ways to improve your underlying processes, and don't waste too much of your time with score hypotheticals -- they aren't a good use of your energy, especially when it's clear that you have all sorts of more important battles to fight on verbal.

I'm sure that this isn't the most reassuring thing you've read today, but I hope it helps a bit!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 187 [1]
Given Kudos: 379
WE:Advertising (Advertising and PR)
Send PM