Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 20:33 It is currently 05 May 2024, 20:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22141 [2]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1996 [1]
Given Kudos: 751
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: HKUST '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.11
Send PM
Re: Stuck at low 30s in Verbal! CR/RC Recommendations? [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hey I'm not an expert, but I used to be in your shoe. Finally cracked V40 in my last mock exam. I would suggest you review the Manhattan CR guide, and watch the instruction videos from GMAT Prep Now. CR is about understanding the different types of questions, and anticipate what might be the answer. After reviewing these materials you should be familiar with the different types of CR questions, know what's the strategy for each type, and avoid the common traps and misconceptions. CR is also the type of question that you would need to practice a lot. I'd suggest you finish all the questions from GMAC (OG, Verbal Guidebook, online question pack and CAT exams).

For RC, considering the fact that you are an American, I take it that you'd have no problem understanding the passage. Therefore you should focus on understanding the different types of RC questions, devise a method of writing down notes that will help you to quickly locate the parts of the passage that contain the answers, and avoid all the trap options. What I understand from RC is that often when the passage is easy, the questions tend to be much trickier, so you'd need to be extra careful. Finally, practice a lot and use the same materials mentioned above.

Hope that helps.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11674 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi jarenn1,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Your last 2 Official Scores show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 600 +/- a few points), even though they were over 2 months apart. You handle certain aspects of the Exam consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes. It's possible that you've gotten 'stuck' at this particular score level, so learning and practicing the proper Tactics will be a must for you to get to the 700+ level. To that end, you're going to have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) How long did you study before each Official GMAT attempt?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

You might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn't provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [1]
Given Kudos: 217
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GPA: 3.56
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
jarenn1 wrote:
Hi All,

I'm an African American male, non-traditional applicant (Kinesiology/Exercise Physiology background). I'm currently stuck at a 610 (Q43/V31/IR 5/AWA 5) and I can't seem to break a V32 on the test. My SC is 87th %, but my CR and RC are 37th% and 47th%, respectively. While I'd like to improve my Quant as well to at least 45+, my overall score would increase a lot if I can get my verbal up to 38+.

I'd love a 700, but my target score is at least 680.

Official Attempts

12/23/17: 570 Q36/V32

6/14/18: 600 Q43/V29

8/25/18: 610 Q43/V31

I've taken a Manhattan prep class after my first attempt but it didn't really seem to help much outside of SC. I'm currently working through Target Test Prep and it has helped my Quant score significantly thus far so I'm confident that I can at get to at least a 45Q, but I'm struggling to figure out how to attack CR/RC.

Materials used so far:

-MGMAT Class (took 5 out of 6 CATs... consistent scores 590-630... one 680 but saw 2 of the same 700-level questions from outside practice materials on Verbal)
-OG Tests (took all 6; 590-660... the 660 was 2 weeks before my official 610 (47Q, 34V... a couple lucky guesses on Quant)
-Powerscore CR Bible (read through twice)
-Magoosh (only used the verbal...helped a lot with SC)
-Target Test Prep (60% complete)

Any help/advice regarding Verbal, CR/RC specifically, would be much appreciated. I plan to take the test again in early November so I have about 2 months until my next attempt. Realistically, I can log about 4 hours per day studying.

Thanks in advance!

Hi, Since you are already using Target Test Prep course, your Quant will undoubtedly going to improve.
To give a more finishing touch, use MATclub tests - reviews so far suggest that (without exception) was able to avoid the silly mistakes after subscribing those.
For verbal I would suggest to practice,pracice, practice.
Also see my opinion (just a suggestion) here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/sentence-cor ... l#p2121322

Hope this helps.

Thanks.
The Graceful
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4666 [0]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
jarenn1 wrote:
Any help/advice regarding Verbal, CR/RC specifically, would be much appreciated. I plan to take the test again in early November so I have about 2 months until my next attempt. Realistically, I can log about 4 hours per day studying.

Thanks in advance!
Do you find specific types of RC passages more difficult than others? If yes, you can focus on practicing those.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi jarenn1,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Your last 2 Official Scores show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 600 +/- a few points), even though they were over 2 months apart. You handle certain aspects of the Exam consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes. It's possible that you've gotten 'stuck' at this particular score level, so learning and practicing the proper Tactics will be a must for you to get to the 700+ level. To that end, you're going to have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) How long did you study before each Official GMAT attempt?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

You might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn't provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Hi Rich,

I've been studying pretty consistently for the past 6 months. After each attempt, I took about 2 days off and then got back into the swing of things. I can honestly say that my verbal studying is a bit all over the place. I would do timed sets from the OG but feel like it wasn't very structured. I have the ESR for all of my attempts so will PM you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
nilsinelabore wrote:
Hey I'm not an expert, but I used to be in your shoe. Finally cracked V40 in my last mock exam. I would suggest you review the Manhattan CR guide, and watch the instruction videos from GMAT Prep Now. CR is about understanding the different types of questions, and anticipate what might be the answer. After reviewing these materials you should be familiar with the different types of CR questions, know what's the strategy for each type, and avoid the common traps and misconceptions. CR is also the type of question that you would need to practice a lot. I'd suggest you finish all the questions from GMAC (OG, Verbal Guidebook, online question pack and CAT exams).

For RC, considering the fact that you are an American, I take it that you'd have no problem understanding the passage. Therefore you should focus on understanding the different types of RC questions, devise a method of writing down notes that will help you to quickly locate the parts of the passage that contain the answers, and avoid all the trap options. What I understand from RC is that often when the passage is easy, the questions tend to be much trickier, so you'd need to be extra careful. Finally, practice a lot and use the same materials mentioned above.

Hope that helps.

Yes, it does. Thank you! I think a big issue of mine is not knowing the specific strategy for each type. Will re-read the MGMAT CR book.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Any recommendation to pass the 35 barrier?

Thanks!
GMAT Club Bot