Last visit was: 27 Jul 2024, 00:48 It is currently 27 Jul 2024, 00:48
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5928 [14]
Given Kudos: 3124
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5928 [4]
Send PM
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 365 [1]
Given Kudos: 54
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5928 [2]
Send PM
Re: Technological innovation rarely serves the interests of society as a w [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Two take-aways from this.

First, that B is not the correct answer. B says that if X is socially beneficial, then it CANNOT be commercially viable. This is incorrect for two reasons. The argument contains words like "rarely" and "almost without exception". These terms do not mean never. Second, the argument doesn't assume this. The argument alludes to an abstract idea, but not this X cannot equal Y situation listed in B.

Second, that those who get this question correct took almost 2.5 minutes. Those who got it wrong took :45 seconds. That is a difference of 105 seconds, or 1:45. You MUST slow down on the GMAT, LSAT, GRE, or any test you take. Getting the correct answer is better than getting the wrong answer quickly. Further, these tests try to trick you, occasionally, by putting tempting answers at the beginning of questions. Stick to your solving methods and do not rush.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 446
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
Technological innovation rarely serves the interests of society as a w [#permalink]
nightblade354 can you please present POE.

I could not understand the reason for Option D to be correct.

Argument is saying that because the motivation is to make money and not to serve people; Tech Rarely benefits people.

(D) Takes for granted that an action is unlikely to produce a certain outcome unless it is motivated by a desire to produce that outcome

My initial thought process was what if an action can do both, i.e. be motivated by money and benefits society too.

According to Option D, first you should have the desire to produce the outcome, then only the outcome will happen. But how does it weaken the argument that such an outcome will benefit the society at all?

Please present P.O.E.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT Focus 1:
635 Q86 V81 DI77
Send PM
Re: Technological innovation rarely serves the interests of society as a w [#permalink]
Quote:
(B) Takes for granted that technology beneficial to society as a whole cannot be commercially viable -- Explained in another post. "Cannot" is the key word. This is inaccurate because we are never told that something cannot be the case. We are told that it is "almost without exception", but this is not the same as never.

Hi nightblade354
I think, even if it were ALL THE TIME instead of almost without exception, this option would still be incorrect.

Stimulus says: technological advances motivated by personal gain IN THAT they strive to develop commercially viable technology
My emphasis was on ''IN THAT''
Just because ''Commercial viable tech'' is a subset of ''Personal gain'' doesn't mean that it can't be a subset of ''Societal gain''

I am not sure whether my reasoning is correct, would like to get your views on it.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5928 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Contropositive wrote:
Quote:
(B) Takes for granted that technology beneficial to society as a whole cannot be commercially viable -- Explained in another post. "Cannot" is the key word. This is inaccurate because we are never told that something cannot be the case. We are told that it is "almost without exception", but this is not the same as never.

Hi nightblade354
I think, even if it were ALL THE TIME instead of almost without exception, this option would still be incorrect.

Stimulus says: technological advances motivated by personal gain IN THAT they strive to develop commercially viable technology
My emphasis was on ''IN THAT''
Just because ''Commercial viable tech'' is a subset of ''Personal gain'' doesn't mean that it can't be a subset of ''Societal gain''

I am not sure whether my reasoning is correct, would like to get your views on it.

Noah does a really good job explaing what I believe you are getting at here: https://www.manhattanprep.com/lsat/foru ... t4030.html

But let me know if this isn't sufficient and I can do my best to break it down.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 360
Send PM
nightblade354 wrote:
Technological innovation rarely serves the interests of society as a whole. This can be seen from the fact that those responsible for technological advances are almost without exception motivated by consideration of personal gain rather than societal benefit in that they strive to develop commercially viable technology.

The argument is most vulnerable to criticism on the grounds that:

(A) Contains a premise that cannot possible be true
(B) Takes for granted that technology beneficial to society as a whole cannot be commercially viable
(C) Fails to consider the possibility that actions motivated by a desire for personal gain often do not result in personal gain
(D) Takes for granted that an action is unlikely to produce a certain outcome unless it is motivated by a desire to produce that outcome
(E) Draws a conclusion about the practical consequences of people’s actions on the basis of theoretical views about what people should or should not do

Source: LSAT

­Hi nightblade354 ! Can u pls explain me how 'take for granted' has been used in the options.'take for granted' means not giving adequate importance,right? So,by this logic, I eliminated D as correct ans since the author is giving importance to the motivation aspect and the whole argument is talking about the lack of motivation for societal benefits leads to not serving the interests of the society.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
GMAT Focus 1:
635 Q86 V81 DI77
Send PM
Technological innovation rarely serves the interests of society as a w [#permalink]
imRaj wrote:
nightblade354 wrote:
Technological innovation rarely serves the interests of society as a whole. This can be seen from the fact that those responsible for technological advances are almost without exception motivated by consideration of personal gain rather than societal benefit in that they strive to develop commercially viable technology.

(B) Takes for granted that technology beneficial to society as a whole cannot be commercially viable
(C) Fails to consider the possibility that actions motivated by a desire for personal gain often do not result in personal gain
(E) Draws a conclusion about the practical consequences of people’s actions on the basis of theoretical views about what people should or should not do

­Hi nightblade354 ! Can u pls explain me how 'take for granted' has been used in the options.'take for granted' means not giving adequate importance,right? So,by this logic, I eliminated D as correct ans since the author is giving importance to the motivation aspect and the whole argument is talking about the lack of motivation for societal benefits leads to not serving the interests of the society.

­Hi, i am not an expert, but couple of days back i was going through one powerscore post wherein they explained ''takes for granted'':
''takes for granted'' means, Author has assumed something(X) to be True, but in reality that something is NOT TRUE.
In other words Author assumed X to be true, but it is incorrect to assume so..­
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
GMAT Focus 1:
635 Q86 V81 DI77
Send PM
Kudos
imRaj wrote:
nightblade354 wrote:

­Hi, I was trying to find that relevant POWERSCORE POST. Below is the link, hope it is helpful!

https://forum.powerscore.com/viewtopic.php?t=5950
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5928 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
imRaj, Contropositive explained the issue with the meaning of “takes for granted” above. It means to assume in this context. It can also mean what you described above, but context is key. Also process of elimination would’ve made this the only choice.
Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 360
Send PM
nightblade354 wrote:
imRaj, Contropositive explained the issue with the meaning of “takes for granted” above. It means to assume in this context. It can also mean what you described above, but context is key. Also process of elimination would’ve made this the only choice.
Posted from my mobile device

­Thanks nightblade354, Contropositive! the powerscore link was helpful
 ­
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6985 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts
CR Forum Moderator
824 posts