It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 01:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The British sociologist and activist Barbara Wootton once

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 239 [0], given: 16

Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
The British sociologist and activist Barbara Wootton once [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2009, 14:12
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (01:27) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 2 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The British sociologist and activist Barbara Wootton once noted as a humorous example of income maldistribution that the elephant that gave rides to children at the Whipsnade Zoo was earning annually exactly what she then earned as director of adult education for London.
(A) that the elephant that gave rides to children at the Whipsnade Zoo was earning
(B) that the elephant, giving rides to children at the Whipsnade Zoo, had been earning
(C) that there was an elephant giving rides to children at the Whipsnade Zoo, and it earned
(D) the elephant that gave rides to children at the Whipsnade Zoo and was earning
(E) the elephant giving rides to children at the Whipsnade Zoo and that it earned
A

Lahoosaher

Kudos [?]: 239 [0], given: 16

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 17

Re: SC : The British sociologist [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2009, 20:02
My choice is B. Can someone explain why the answer is A?

A sub-clause is required so D & E is out. C, I think have pronoun error, "it" can refer to elephant or zoo.

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 17

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2009, 00:05
amolsk11 wrote:
The British sociologist and activist Barbara Wootton once noted as a humorous example of income maldistribution that the elephant that gave rides to children at the Whipsnade Zoo was earning annually exactly what she then earned as director of adult education for London.
(A) that the elephant that gave rides to children at the Whipsnade Zoo was earning
(B) that the elephant, giving rides to children at the Whipsnade Zoo, had been earning
(C) that there was an elephant giving rides to children at the Whipsnade Zoo, and it earned
(D) the elephant that gave rides to children at the Whipsnade Zoo and was earning
(E) the elephant giving rides to children at the Whipsnade Zoo and that it earned
A

Using POE, I am going to go with B.

Alternatively, you can rearrange the sentence also to see what makes sense. The British sociologist and activist Barbara Wootton once noted that the elephant, giving rides to children at the Whipsnade Zoo, had been earning annually exactly what she then earned as director of adult education for London as a humorous example of income maldistribution.

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 13

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2009, 02:23
I think we will need to use simple past tense since both the activities happened at the same time in the past. And we will need to use that to introduce a sub clause. So I think its A.
What is OA?

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 13

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 9

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2009, 03:06
I vote for 'A'.
'B' is incorrect because, "...that the elephant, giving ride (present continuous) to children at the Wipsnade zoo, had been earning (past perfect continuous)...", problem of the tenses.
the other options can be eliminated easily.

"Always....Read between the lines"

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2009, 05:53
aknine wrote:
I vote for 'A'.
'B' is incorrect because, "...that the elephant, giving ride (present continuous) to children at the Wipsnade zoo, had been earning (past perfect continuous)...", problem of the tenses.
the other options can be eliminated easily.

aknine, I don't think this should be a reason for elimination of option B.

The time frame of the incident is set by had been earning. If you rephrase, you will get a sentence that says something like The elephant earned more... by giving rides. This is perfectly right. The only problem with the option B is the usage of 'had'

My rephrased sentence should have read something like The elephant had earned more... by giving rides

That's the flaw! If a sentence is constructed to convey that two incidents occurred in the past, to make sure that the sentence conveys the chronological order of the occurrence, had is used. In this SC, had is clearly unnecessary

Is this okay?

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 1

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 866 [0], given: 99

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2009, 06:00
amolsk11 wrote:
A

clear A. you need 'that' after 'elephant' to make it restricted clause.

Kudos [?]: 866 [0], given: 99

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2009, 09:14
Well, paneer, what I meant was, the reason 'B' is not the correct answer is because of the way it is framed.
It says- "...that the elephant, giving rides to children at the Whipsnade Zoo, had been earning..."
which conveys that, either the elephant has now retired and is not giving any rides to children anymore
or, his income is now less than that of activist.
which is not what is being implied, just an example is being stated here that, at some point in time, the elephant at the zoo was earning what she earned as a director in London ('A' clearly states that)

am I correct now..?

"Always....Read between the lines"

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 1051 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2009, 14:40
amolsk11 wrote:
A

I choose A. The problem with option B is that way how "giving rides to children at the the Whipsnade Zoo was earning...." between the commas suggests that it is talking about ALL ELEPHANTS! Barbara is talking about a particular elephant, so you need to add "that" in order to specify a specific elephant. Option A remains

SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2009, 00:18
ugimba wrote:
amolsk11 wrote:
A

I do have a question though: doesn't the article "the" before elephant already indicates a specific elephant? Otherwise, the author could have said "an elephant that....." would you just explain why "the" isn't enough? thanks

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2009, 07:10
ugimba wrote:
amolsk11 wrote:
A

IMO: A. Same reason.
+
noted .... that

==============================================
Do not answer without sharing the reasoning behind ur choice
-----------------------------------------------------------
Working on my weakness : GMAT Verbal
------------------------------------------------------------
Ask:
Why, What, How, When, Where, Who
==============================================

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 2

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2009, 00:12
We have to use "that" with noted...So Its among A,B and C...C and B have verb tense error...So A for me...

Choose Life

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 1

Re: SC : The British sociologist   [#permalink] 14 Jun 2009, 00:12

The British sociologist and activist Barbara Wootton once

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: GMATNinjaTwo, GMATNinja

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap