Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 18:24 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 18:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7807 [70]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35501 [9]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42106 [9]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [3]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.5
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: The cheetah seems to be headed for extinction because, resulting from [#permalink]
Kudos
okay, i assume you have already struck off C,D and E.

Read the sentence as:
The cheetah seems to be headed for extinction because,.........., the species has so little genetic variation that it is extremely vulnerable to enviornmental change

The missing part should give you an answer for 'why the species has so little genetic variation?'

Now fit A and B one by one in your answer
A. The species has little genetic variation resulting from blah blah
B. The species has little gentic variation as a result of blah blah

Which one do you now think is correct? I hope you say B.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4658 [3]
Given Kudos: 633
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: The cheetah seems to be headed for extinction because, resulting from [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
adkikani wrote:
How does one get intended meaning from (A)? I faltered in choosing
(D) since parallelism sounded so correct to ears :lol:

The cheetah seems to be headed for extinction
because
there was intensive inbreeding generations ago
and
species has so little genetic variation that it is extremely vulnerable to environmental change.

There is ABSOLUTELY no issue with sentence structure and grammar in this option and parallelism marker AND in
(D) correctly connects two clauses. What is GMAC really on to here?
Option A does not convey the intended meaning in this case. :)

This is the sentence that option A leads to:
The cheetah seems to be headed for extinction because, resulting from intensive inbreeding generations ago, the species has so little genetic variation that it is extremely vulnerable to environmental change.

This option seems to indicate that the species itself was the result of intensive inbreeding generations ago. This doesn't make any sense, as the species needs to exist before any intensive inbreeding can take place within the species.

Option D is also out for meaning:
The cheetah seems to be headed for extinction because there was intensive inbreeding generations ago and the species has so little genetic variation that it is extremely vulnerable to environmental change.

Here we are expected to connect the inbreeding to the lack of genetic variation. That is, we don't want to present them as two separate reasons. Also, as a result of intensive inbreeding is much clearer than there was intensive inbreeding. For example:

He got a 700 because there was a lot of hard work. ← This is very vague.
He got a 700 as a result of a lot of hard work. ← This is much better.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [2]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Kudos
May I know how C,D and E are eliminated
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Niveditha28 wrote:
1. If option E was worded - as a result of its intensive inbreeding generations ago, ( its instead of their and removed the word "and" ) would the option be correct?

Hi Niveditha28, with the modifications that you've suggested, the sentence will be:

The cheetah seems to be headed for extinction as a result of its intensive inbreeding generations ago, the species has so little genetic variation that it is extremely vulnerable to environmental change.

This is an incorrect sentence because it is (what is called as) run-on sentence: Following two Independent clauses are connected by just a comma:

i) The cheetah seems to be headed for extinction as a result of its intensive inbreeding generations ago,
ii) The species has so little genetic variation that it is extremely vulnerable to environmental change.

You can watch our video on Independent and Dependent Clauses.

Quote:
2. Opt B - i am not clear why both " because" , "as result of " are required? , both words intend to state a reason . Hence i dint choose Option B.

because and as a result serve different purposes in this sentence:

because is modifying The cheetah seems to be headed for extinction; in other words, because is answering why cheetah seems to be headed for extinction

as a result is modifying the species has so little genetic variation; in other words, as a result is answering why the species has so little genetic variation.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses run-on construct, its application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5138 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
pk6969 wrote:
What gives B a preference over A? I am not able to figure out. Is it that in A resulting is acting as a modifier of the species? But As a result of also implies the same. please help.

In the (A) version, the participial phrase "resulting from intensive inbreeding generations ago" must modify "species." Consequently, the (A) version conveys the nonsensical meaning that the species resulted from inbreeding and, therefore, has little genetic variation.

Notice that a species could not result from its own inbreeding. The species would have to exist first and then inbreed.

In fact, the point to be made is that the lack of genetic variation resulted from inbreeding "generations ago," not that the species itself resulted from inbreeding.

In the (B) version, on the other hand, "as a result of intensive inbreeding generations ago" is synonymous with "because of intensive inbreeding generations ago" and acts adverbially to modify "has," indicating why the species "has so little genetic variation."

Thus, we can see that the (B) version conveys a meaning that makes sense.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Cant be C, D and E (was clear thanks to the "and" at the end),
B fits best
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 577 [0]
Given Kudos: 198
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V38
Send PM
Hello Experts, i am not able to convincingly elide the clauses here. Confused between option A and B (how do we identify the difference ) is their any meaning difference...

what is "resulting from/as a result of..intensive inbreeding generations ago"....referring to..

Thanks in advance
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
krishnabalu wrote:
May I know how C,D and E are eliminated

D and E gets eliminated because of use of word 'and'.

In option C, I think the use of word 'they' spoils the game. It looks like a simple example of parallel structure to me.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 268 [0]
Given Kudos: 320
Send PM
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1240 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
generis AjiteshArun VeritasKarishma

How does one get intended meaning from (A)? I faltered in choosing
(D) since parallelism sounded so correct to ears :lol:

Quote:
The cheetah seems to be headed for extinction because, resulting from intensive inbreeding generations ago, the species has so little genetic variation that it is extremely vulnerable to environmental change.

Quote:
(D) because there was intensive inbreeding generations ago and

The cheetah seems to be headed for extinction
because
there was intensive inbreeding generations ago
and
species has so little genetic variation that it is extremely vulnerable to environmental change.

There is ABSOLUTELY no issue with sentence structure and grammar in this option and parallelism marker AND in
(D) correctly connects two clauses. What is GMAC really on to here?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
eybrj2 wrote:

(A) because, resulting from intensive inbreeding generations ago,
(B) because, as a result of intensive inbreeding generations ago,
(C) because they inbred intensively generations ago so that
(E) as a result of their intensive inbreeding generations ago, and

I think choice A is better than B
'resulting from..." in choice A modifies "species has..." grammatically. this modification is good.

in choice B, "a a result of intensive inbreedding generations ago" is unclear. it is unclear what is under inbreeding. it is not clear species is under inbreeding. so, choice B is wrong, I think

but this questions is from unofficial source, so, I dont want to discuss in dept
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 459
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Is it really from GMAC source ? I have a doubt about ..
Please clarify :

Because and as a result of / resulting from : Seems redundant to me . ( A & B )
' ....they .....so that ...' : C out
'...as a result of their...' : E out

D seems prefect and does not have any grammatical error .
B is not convincing answer and not expected even from GMAC bouncers . ;)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 102
GMAT 1: 600 Q43 V30
Send PM

I have two doubts in this question ,
1. If option E was worded - as a result of its intensive inbreeding generations ago, ( its instead of their and removed the word "and" ) would the option be correct?
2. Opt B - i am not clear why both " because" , "as result of " are required? , both words intend to state a reason . Hence i dint choose Option B.

Please clarify
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
eybrj2 wrote:

(A) because, resulting from intensive inbreeding generations ago,
(B) because, as a result of intensive inbreeding generations ago,
(C) because they inbred intensively generations ago so that
(E) as a result of their intensive inbreeding generations ago, and

What gives B a preference over A? I am not able to figure out. Is it that in A resulting is acting as a modifier of the species? But As a result of also implies the same. please help. IanStewart MartyTargetTestPrep egmat
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
@e-gmat . Can you explain the reason why option B is correct and not option A
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts