Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:59 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [8]
Given Kudos: 135
GPA: 3.58
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [1]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [1]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [1]
Send PM
Re: The duality between how Racine lived in the theatre and his life of fa [#permalink]
Kudos
chesstitans wrote:
parallelism issue -> "should be seen not only as" -> eliminate B and E
his life of faith and devotion" vs "his faithful and devotional life" -> not a big issue
".Racine’s life in the theatre" makes most sense -> D

But what is the antecedent of HIS in choice D?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Re: The duality between how Racine lived in the theatre and his life of fa [#permalink]
Kudos
The duality between how Racine lived in the theatre and his life of faith and devotion should be seen not only as an internal division but also as a possible reason that Racine, in an age of optimism, selected tragedy as the preferred form.

A.how Racine lived in the theatre and his life of faith and devotion should be seen not only as
B.Racine’s life of the theatre and his life of faith and devotion should be seen as not only
C.theatrical life of Racine and his faithful and devotional life should be seen not only as
D.Racine’s life in the theatre and his life of faith and devotion should be seen not only as
E.Racine’s life of the theatre and his faithful and devotional life should be seen as not only

The sentence says that the duality between X and Y should be seen not only as A but also as B.
Here X must be || to Y and A must be parallel to B.
Now for A and B we can see that in the non underlined part of the sentence the strucure is but also as .Therefore A must have the same struc not only as A but also as Y.
So we know there must be an as at the end of the underlined part.

Eliminate B and E for the aforementioned reason.

Now let's deal X and Y.
Racine's life of(.faith and devotion......) is compared to his life in(...theatre)
So life with prepositional phrase is the structure .

D is the one that follows this structure.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 505 [1]
Given Kudos: 1148
Send PM
Kudos
Still confused Can somebody explain in detail
Not only as ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
gmatFalcon wrote:
Not only as ?

not only as is following the parallelism with the nonunderlined portion "but also as"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 505 [1]
Given Kudos: 1148
Send PM
Kudos
SandhyAvinash wrote:
gmatFalcon wrote:
Not only as ?

not only as is following the parallelism with the nonunderlined portion "but also as"

Thanks SandhyAvinash :thumbup:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [2]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
arvind910619 wrote:

Hi GMATNinja
If concision is the key here the i think D is the answer but still i think there is some subtle difference between C and D .
Experts please help in this one

SandhyAvinash wrote:
The duality between how Racine lived in the theatre and his life of faith and devotion should be seen not only as an internal division but also as a possible reason that Racine, in an age of optimism, selected tragedy as the preferred form.

C.theatrical life of Racine and his faithful and devotional life should be seen not only as
D.Racine’s life in the theatre and his life of faith and devotion should be seen not only as

I suppose you could make a parallelism argument against (C), but I think the bigger issue is meaning:

• "life in the theatre" = life as somebody who works in theatre, presumably as an actor or director or writer; "theatrical life" = a life spent behaving theatrically, which could just mean that Racine is a little bit of a drama queen, but might not actually be a theatre professional
  • "life of faith and devotion" = presumably, a life lived according to the principles of a religious faith; "faithful and devotional life" = ... actually, I don't know what the hell that means -- I'm not sure that it makes any sense at all, but at the very least, it's pretty awkward, and less clear than saying "life of faith and devotion"

I hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
IMO C

what is antecedent of "his" in D ??
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [2]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
GMATNinja wrote:
arvind910619 wrote:

Hi GMATNinja
If concision is the key here the i think D is the answer but still i think there is some subtle difference between C and D .
Experts please help in this one

SandhyAvinash wrote:

I suppose you could make a parallelism argument against (C), but I think the bigger issue is meaning:

• "life in the theatre" = life as somebody who works in theatre, presumably as an actor or director or writer; "theatrical life" = a life spent behaving theatrically, which could just mean that Racine is a little bit of a drama queen, but might not actually be a theatre professional
  • "life of faith and devotion" = presumably, a life lived according to the principles of a religious faith; "faithful and devotional life" = ... actually, I don't know what the hell that means -- I'm not sure that it makes any sense at all, but at the very least, it's pretty awkward, and less clear than saying "life of faith and devotion"

I hope this helps!

Thanks Sir :-)
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
baaniNitin wrote:
IMO C

what is antecedent of "his" in D ??

The pronoun "his" has to refer to a male of some sort, and "Racine" is the only option. Sure, "his" refers to the possessive version of the noun ("Racine's") in (B), (D), and (E), but that's completely fine: the possessive pronoun "his" can have either the possessive ("Racine's") or non-possessive ("Racine") version as its antecedent.

For more on the other differences between (C) and (D), please see my post above.

I hope this helps!

--== Message from the GMAT Club Team ==--

THERE IS LIKELY A BETTER DISCUSSION OF THIS EXACT QUESTION.
This discussion does not meet community quality standards. It has been retired.

If you would like to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum. Thank you!

To review the GMAT Club's Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow these links: Quantitative | Verbal Please note - we may remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines. Thank you.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Sentence Correction (EA only) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
Current Student
278 posts