Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:09 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 453 [14]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: International Business, Finance
GMAT 1: 590 Q32 V30
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [13]
Given Kudos: 19
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
General Discussion
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [1]
Given Kudos: 833
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: The first United States Solicitor General, Benjamin H. [#permalink]
Kudos
akankshasoneja wrote:
solarzj wrote:
The first United States Solicitor General, Benjamin H. Bristow born in 1832 and served in the Grant administration from 1874 to 1876. Earlier in his life, Bristow had served as a lieutenant colonel in the 25th Kentucky Infantry.

(A) born in 1832 and served in the Grant administration from 1874 to 1876. Earlier in his life, Bristow had served as a lieutenant colonel in the 25th Kentucky Infantry

(B) was born in 1832 and had served in the Grant administration from 1874 to 1876. Earlier in his life, Bristow served as a lieutenant colonel in the 25'h Kentucky Infantry

(C) born in 1832 and appointee in the Grant administration from 1874 to 1875. Earlier in his life, Bristow served as a lieutenant colonel in the 25th Kentucky Infantry

(D) was born in 1832 and served in the Grand administration from 1874 to 1876. Earlier in his life, Bristow had served as a lieutenant colonel in the 25th Kentucky Infantry

(E) was born in 1832 and served in the Grand administration from 1874 to 1876. Earlier in his life, Bristow served as a lieutenant colonel in the 25th Kentucky fanny

I have a query. Why is D wrong here? Why we wont be using "Had served" ? is it because its already mentioned "Earlier in his life"? Case of redundancy?

Hi,

D is wrong here, because it uses "had" which is not required here as the time lines are clearly stated in the sentence. Hence simple past tense should be used.

Hope that clears your doubt.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I agree that the use of past perfect in D is not definitively wrong. Since "Earlier in his life" clearly tells us we are talking about the period before his service in the Grant (not Grand!) administration, the past perfect is justified, even if it isn't really needed.

However, a real SC would never be two sentences. Also, you should change the last word of E, which seems to be referring to private parts(!) rather than the military.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 149 [1]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
Kudos
The first United States Solicitor General, Benjamin H. Bristow born in 1832 and served in the Grant administration from 1874 to 1876. Earlier in his life, Bristow had served as a lieutenant colonel in the 25th Kentucky Infantry.

(D) was born in 1832 and served in the Grand administration from 1874 to 1876. Earlier in his life, Bristow had served as a lieutenant colonel in the 25th Kentucky Infantry
--> There is only one clause in the second sentence "Earlier in his life, Bristow..." ---> The use of PAST PERFECT is MEANINGLESS.

(E) was born in 1832 and served in the Grand administration from 1874 to 1876. Earlier in his life, Bristow served as a lieutenant colonel in the 25th Kentucky Infantry
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 284 [1]
Given Kudos: 65
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Kudos
DmitryFarber wrote:
I agree that the use of past perfect in D is not definitively wrong. Since "Earlier in his life" clearly tells us we are talking about the period before his service in the Grant (not Grand!) administration, the past perfect is justified, even if it isn't really needed.

However, a real SC would never be two sentences. Also, you should change the last word of E, which seems to be referring to private parts(!) rather than the military.

I completely agree with you; the past perfect is not necessary, but it is not wrong. I have not found in any dictionary the word fanny as a synonym of infantry. We must remember that sentences in the GMAT are formal, so, even if the word fanny were some kind of jargon, it would still be wrong.
I would say that the best choice is D .
I would like to comment that this problem has two sentences -it uses a full stop- so it is not a GMAT problem.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Given Kudos: 239
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
Strike 1: Verb tense - had is not required as timelines are Already said.
Strike 2: appointee changes meaning

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Given Kudos: 559
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
solarzj wrote:

(A) born in 1832 and served in the Grant administration from 1874 to 1876. Earlier in his life, Bristow had served as a lieutenant colonel in the 25th Kentucky Infantry

(B) was born in 1832 and had served in the Grant administration from 1874 to 1876. Earlier in his life, Bristow served as a lieutenant colonel in the 25'h Kentucky Infantry

(C) born in 1832 and appointee in the Grant administration from 1874 to 1875. Earlier in his life, Bristow served as a lieutenant colonel in the 25th Kentucky Infantry

(E) was born in 1832 and served in the Grand administration from 1874 to 1876. Earlier in his life, Bristow served as a lieutenant colonel in the 25th Kentucky fanny

I have a query. Why is D wrong here? Why we wont be using "Had served" ? is it because its already mentioned "Earlier in his life"? Case of redundancy?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 233
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Send PM
Had served makes the sentence look like he served as ......before was born.Clearly illogical.
Hence D will be wrong.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619095 [0]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Expert Reply
solarzj wrote:

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

There are two main problems with this sentence.

(1) The subject (the first United States Solicitor General) does not have a verb.

(2) The past perfect tense had served is wrong as the phrase earlier in his life makes it clear that his service as a lieutenant occurred before his service as solicitor general. Consequently, the past perfect tense is not needed to differentiate the timing of the two events in the past.

A. the subject (the first United States Solicitor General) does not have a verb

B. the past perfect tense had served is wrong as it conveys the idea that his service in the Grant administration occurred before he was born

C. the subject (the first United States Solicitor General) does not have a verb

D. the past perfect tense had served is wrong as the phrase earlier in his life makes it clear that his service as a lieutenant occurred before his service as solicitor general

E. the past perfect tense is not used; the subject (the first United States Solicitor General) has a verb
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts