Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:33 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1993 [10]
Given Kudos: 751
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 363 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 325
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Education)
Send PM
Re: The latest census of the town in which Jacob’s hardware store is locat [#permalink]
Can somebody please explain choice A. What do they mean by smaller single home parcels ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 729 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V37
GPA: 4
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
Re: The latest census of the town in which Jacob’s hardware store is locat [#permalink]
How am I supposed to know apartments don't have lawns ? The large apartment complexes can be so fashionably designed that they provide a lawn to every one.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619226 [0]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Expert Reply
souvonik2k wrote:
The latest census of the town in which Jacob’s hardware store is located has revealed that the population of new residents has increased tenfold since 1980. Though Jacob has not encountered any new competition for business during this time period, his inventory records indicate that the average number of lawnmowers and snowblowers that he sells per year has risen only slightly over the average number of lawnmowers and snowblowers he sold yearly prior to 1980.

Which of the following, if true, best explains the discrepancy outlined above?

(A) Since 1980, many of the single-home properties have been subdivided into smaller single-home parcels.

(B) Inflation has caused the prices of the machines to increase every year since 1980.

(C) All of the housing built in Jacob’s town since 1980 has been large apartment complexes.

(D) The average snowfall since 1980 has decreased from 6 feet per year to 4 feet per year.

(E) Jacob’s store only carries two brands of lawnmowers and snowblowers.

KAPLAN OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

C

If the vast majority of people who moved into Jacob's town since 1980 moved into apartments, there would be no increase in lawnmowers or snowblowers because they would have no property that would require the use of the machines in question. Therefore, the demand for those machines bought would not substantially increase, and (C) is the best explanation for the discrepancy. Demand for the products is not diminished by inflation, (B); nor is demand diminished by Jacob's product selection (E), because the given information states that he has not encountered any new competition that would influence his sales. (A) is invalid because the demand for the two products would increase if more single-home properties were created in the town. Besides the fact that (D) does not address the apparent discrepancy in lawn mower sales, it is not a suitable explanation because a decrease in average snowfall would only decrease the demand for snowblowers if it were significant enough for the blowers to be no longer needed. That is not the case here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Thank you all for the explanation. But I am confused with the fact that there was still "slight increase" in the number of machines sold, so shouldn't the answer choice (C) say that "most of the housing built" instead of "all of the housing built"?.

Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: The latest census of the town in which Jacobs hardware store is locat [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The latest census of the town in which Jacobs hardware store is locat [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts