GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 17 Feb 2020, 14:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The majority of successful senior managers do not closely

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V29
CAT Tests
Re: The majority of successful senior managers do not closely  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2019, 23:20
Can someone please explain how to arrive at the answer to question 1? How can we infer that "Intuition enables managers to employ their practical experience more efficiently."?
D
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2019, 07:42

Question #1

DiyaDutta wrote:
Can someone please explain how to arrive at the answer to question 1? How can we infer that "Intuition enables managers to employ their practical experience more efficiently."?

rahul12988 wrote:
Hi GMATNinja

I am still not clear on 1st question.
(A) Managers who rely on intuition are more successful than those who rely on formal decision analysis.
I don't think that elimination should be based on "manager vs senior manager". Direct comparison is not mentioned in passage but still initially author mentioned that "The majority of successful senior managers do not closely follow the classical rational model........rather these executives relied on intuition". Can't we understand that it's an implied comparison ?

(A) tells us that managers who rely on intuition are "more successful" than managers who rely on formal decision analysis. This compares the degree of success between the two groups. Let's see how that comparison holds up in light of the exact wording of the relevant piece of the passage:
Quote:
The majority of successful senior managers do not closely follow the classical rational model of [decision making]... Rather, in their day-by-day tactical maneuvers, these senior executives rely on what is vaguely termed “intuition.”

This tells us that the number of successful senior managers who use intuition is larger than the number of successful senior managers who use formal decision making processes.

Unfortunately, it tells us nothing about the degree of success of these managers. Perhaps there are fewer successful managers using formal processes, but these managers are wildly successful, while their intuitive counterparts are only marginally successful.

Because the passage doesn't compare exactly how successful intuitive and unintuitive managers are, we cannot infer that intuitive managers are the "more successful" group. (A) is out.

Quote:
(E) Intuition enables managers to employ their practical experience more efficiently.

Practical experience is discussed in the second way in which senior managers use intuition:
Quote:
Second, managers rely on intuition to perform well-learned behavior patterns rapidly. This intuition is not arbitrary or irrational, but is based on years of painstaking practice and hands-on experience that build skills.

Here, we see that intuition allows managers to use their experience to take action quickly. This aligns well with (E), which is the correct answer to question #1.

I hope that helps!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: all videos by topic

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2019, 09:03
Thanks GMATNinja

I got your point about " degree of success between the two groups"

Regards,
Rahul Singh
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2019, 08:54
ajaygupta2021 wrote:
Which of the following best describes the organization of the first paragraph of
the passage?
(A) An assertion is made and a specific supporting example is given.
(B) A conventional model is dismissed and an alternative introduced.
(C) The results of recent research are introduced and summarized.
(D) Two opposing points of view are presented and evaluated.
(E) A widely accepted definition is presented and qualified.

why tha OA is B and not D ?
how he is dismissing the conventional model of problem solving , he is just contrasting it with intuition approach

If we see closely in the 1st paragraph, author is stating a conventional way and by using "RATHER" transitional word author is dismissing the conventional way and introducing an alternative model. Later on, the whole passage talks about the alternative model.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
WE: Brand Management (Consumer Products)
GMAT ToolKit User
The majority of successful senior managers do not closely  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2019, 07:38
I have a concern over Q7-D. Why III is an inference?
It can be inferred from the passage that “thinking/acting cycles” (line 45) in managerial practice would be likely to result in which of the following?

I. A manager analyzes a network of problems and then acts on the basis of that analysis.
II. A manager gathers data by acting and observing the effects of action.
III. A manager takes action without being able to articulate reasons for that particular action.

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) I and II only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II, and III

We have "Given the great uncertainty of many of the management issues that they face, senior managers often instigate a course of action simply to learn more about an issue.". I think the statement can be considered a reason why they act - "to learn more abt an issue". So we can't say (III) "A manager takes action without being able to articulate reasons for that particular action.". A manager can articulate the reason, which is "to learn more abt an issue".

Could anyone shed some light on this?
I am also looking forward to the OA of this question! teal
D

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2019, 12:41
Tracy95 wrote:
I have a concern over Q7-D. Why III is an inference?
It can be inferred from the passage that “thinking/acting cycles” (line 45) in managerial practice would be likely to result in which of the following?

I. A manager analyzes a network of problems and then acts on the basis of that analysis.
II. A manager gathers data by acting and observing the effects of action.
III. A manager takes action without being able to articulate reasons for that particular action.

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) I and II only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II, and III

We have "Given the great uncertainty of many of the management issues that they face, senior managers often instigate a course of action simply to learn more about an issue.". I think the statement can be considered a reason why they act - "to learn more abt an issue". So we can't say (III) "A manager takes action without being able to articulate reasons for that particular action.". A manager can articulate the reason, which is "to learn more abt an issue".

Could anyone shed some light on this?
I am also looking forward to the OA of this question! teal

Although the writer of this passage is able to articulate this reason (to learn more about an issue), the managers themselves might not be able to articulate that reason.

More importantly, we can trace the third inference back to paragraph three, where another implication of thinking/acting cycles is described:

Quote:
One of the implications of the intuitive style of executive management is that “thinking” is inseparable from acting. Since managers often “know” what is right before they can analyze and explain it, they frequently act first and explain later. Analysis is inextricably tied to action in thinking/acting cycles, in which managers develop thoughts about their companies and organizations not by analyzing a problematic situation and then acting, but by acting and analyzing in close concert.

• Managers don't analyze a problem first and then act. Instead, they engage in thinking/acting cycles, in which action and analysis are intertwined -- "thinking" is inseparable from acting.
  • Managers who engage in such thinking/acting cycles will "frequently act first and explain later." Why? Because they "often 'know' what is right before they can analyze and explain it."
  • So it is reasonable to infer that intuitive managers who engage in thinking/action cycles often take action without being able to articulate reasons for that particular action.

I hope that helps!

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2020, 05:44
Can anyone explain why not option A in question 5? and why not option E in Q4? Thanks in advance
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2020, 11:29
Bhawanshu wrote:
Can anyone explain why not option A in question 5? and why not option E in Q4? Thanks in advance

Question 4

Here's choice (E):

Quote:
According to the passage, senior managers use intuition in all of the following ways EXCEPT to
(E) evaluate possible solutions to a problem

The third paragraph tells us that some managers will rely on intuition to evaluate solutions that have been reached through formal decision analysis:

"Fourth, some managers use intuition as a check on the results of more rational analysis. Most senior executives are familiar with the formal decision analysis models and tools, and those who use such systematic methods for reaching decisions are occasionally leery of solutions suggested by these methods which run counter to their sense of the correct course of action."

We were asked which answer choice is NOT a way that senior managers use intuition, so (E) can be eliminated.

Question 5

Here's choice (A):

Quote:
The passage suggests which of the following about the “writers on management” mentioned in line 12?
(A) They have criticized managers for not following the classical rational model of decision analysis.

(A) can be eliminated because the author never indicates that these generations of writers on management have criticized managers — let alone criticized managers for not following the classical rational model.

You can check out my previous explanation of question 5 if you're still not sure how to get to the correct answer. But without more information on why you think (A) could be correct, I can't say much more about why it's not. The evidence simply isn't there.

I hope this helps!

GMAT Club Bot
Re: The majority of successful senior managers do not closely   [#permalink] 09 Feb 2020, 11:29

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 28 posts ] 

The majority of successful senior managers do not closely

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics