It is currently 24 Nov 2017, 00:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The stated goal of the government's funding program for the arts is to

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 12

GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
The stated goal of the government's funding program for the arts is to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2014, 22:32
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

70% (01:32) correct 30% (01:50) wrong based on 375 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

#LSAT

The stated goal of the government's funding program for the arts is to encourage the creation of works of artistic excellence. Senator Beton claims, however, that a government-funded artwork can never reflect the independent artistic conscience of the artist because artists, like anyone else who accepts financial support, will inevitably try to please those who control the distribution of that support. Senator Beton concludes that government funding of the arts not only is a burden on taxpayers but also cannot lead to the creation of works of true artistic excellence.

Which one of the following is an assumption on which Senator Beton's argument is based?

(A) Most taxpayers have little or no interest in the creation of works of true artistic excellence.

(B) Government funding of the arts is more generous than other financial support most artists receive.

(C) Distribution of government funds for the arts is based on a broad agreement as to what constitutes artistic excellence.

(D) Once an artist has produced works of true artistic excellence, he or she will never accept government funding.

(E) A contemporary work of art that does not reflect the independent artistic conscience of the artist cannot be a work of true artistic excellence.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by broall on 14 Jun 2017, 09:16, edited 1 time in total.
Reformatted question

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 12

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 290 [1], given: 61

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The stated goal of the government's funding program for the arts is to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2014, 22:54
This post received
KUDOS
E seems viable: A contemporary work of art that does not reflect the independent artistic conscience of the artist cannot be a work of true artistic excellence.

Kudos [?]: 290 [1], given: 61

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 17715 [1], given: 1986

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re: The stated goal of the government's funding program for the arts is to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2014, 11:13
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The argument can be reduced to this paraphrase: "because government-funded artwork can't reflect independent artistic conscience, government funding cannot lead to creation of works with artistic excellence" or "because no ind. art consc., no artistic excellence."

Quote:
This is actually a common form of argument: "because no A, no B". In this kind of argument, the arguer is assuming that A is necessary for B. We can use the denial test to see this: if A wasn't necessary for B, then the argument (that no A means no B) falls apart. Thus, the argument's reasoning depends on A being necessary for B. Here, the "A" is independent artistic conscience and the "B" is (true) artistic excellence. So, the author is assuming that independent artistic conscience is necessary for (true) artistic excellence. If we went into the answer choices with this prediction and then scanned for a match, then choice E clearly matches.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 17715 [1], given: 1986

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 1079 [1], given: 548

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2014, 11:31
This post received
KUDOS
The stated goal of the government's funding program for the arts is to encourage the creation of works of artistic excellence. Senator Beton claims, however, that a government-funded artwork can never reflect the independent artistic conscience of the artist because artists, like anyone else who accepts financial support, will inevitably try to please those who control the distribution of that support. Senator Beton concludes that government funding of the arts not only is a burden on taxpayers but also cannot lead to the creation of works of true artistic excellence.

Basically the argument states that:
Govt funding -> Artist tries to please the govt by his or her art -> Artist will not produce creation of artistic excellence.

Which one of the following is an assumption on which Senator Beton's argument is based?
(A)Most taxpayers have little or no interest in the creation of works of true artistic excellence - OFS
(B)Government funding of the arts is more generous than other financial support most artists receive - The same thing applies to other financial funding also. But this is not the assumption.
(C) Distribution of government funds for the arts is based on a broad agreement as to what constitutes artistic excellence - Cannot be the assumption.
(D)Once an artist has produced works of true artistic excellence, he or she will never accept government funding - OFS
(E)A contemporary work of art that does not reflect the independent artistic conscience of the artist cannot be a work of true artistic excellence. - Correct

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Kudos [?]: 1079 [1], given: 548

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2016, 01:38
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 1118

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 15:00
the key word here is "lead" b/c it shows a causal relation
in this question, if test takers read the passage and options quickly, they will can choose the right answer without much considerations.

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 1118

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 342

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2017, 22:52

Goal => encourage art of excellence
Government funded work => No independent artistic conscience (Said SB)
Why? artist try to please those who control the distribution of that support
hence, government funding of the arts is burden for Tax Payers + No encourage art of excellence

(E) A contemporary work of art that does not reflect the independent artistic conscience of the artist cannot be a work of true artistic excellence.

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 342

Re: The stated goal of the government's funding program for the arts is to   [#permalink] 13 Sep 2017, 22:52

The stated goal of the government's funding program for the arts is to

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap