It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 15:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The success of the program to eradicate smallpox has

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [1], given: 13

Schools: Haas '16, AGSM '16
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The success of the program to eradicate smallpox has [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2015, 01:24
This post received
KUDOS
The success of the program to eradicate smallpox has stimulated experts to pursue what they had not previously considered possible - better control, if not eradication, of the other infections such as measles and yaws.

A. what they had not previously considered possible -- better control, if not eradication, of the other infections such as
"what" mean "one thing", change the intended meaning of the sentence, there are plenty of things that had not considered possible.
"the other" is too specific, we don't know what others are, so the correct usage must be "others"

B. what they had not previously considered a possibility -- better control, if not eradication, of such infections like

C. something they had not previously considered possible -- better control, if not eradication, of such infections as

D. something not considered a previous possibility -- better control and perhaps eradication, of other infections such as

E. the possibility of what they had not previously considered possible -- better control and possibly eradication of infections like

Kudos [?]: 26 [1], given: 13

Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7917 [0], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2016, 04:42
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Limiting to A and C:
A: of the other infections such as -- means there are a lot of other infections and the measles and yaws, the two diseases mentioned therein are just examples of many more such diseases. This is far-fetched and not the intended meaning. The intended idea is to refer to just two diseases that are very similar to smallpox. To refer to a wide gamut of diseases will be too outside the scope of reference as Karishma has pointed out
C: Of such infections as— here, the scope of the diseases mentioned is limited to the two diseases. Hence, this carries the intended meaning.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 148

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2016, 05:37
This post was
BOOKMARKED
scp wrote:
The success of the program to eradicate smallpox has stimulated experts to pursue what they had not previously considered possible - better control, if not eradication, of the other infections such as measles and yaws.
A. what they had not previously considered possible - better control, if not eradication, of the other infections such as

B. what they had not previously considered possible - better control, if not eradication, of the other infections like

C. something they had not previously considered possible - better control, if not eradication, of such infections as

D. something had not considered a previous possibility- better control, and perhaps eradication, of other infections such as

E. the possibility of what they had not previouly considered - better control and possibly eradication of infections like

Im confused between A and C as all the other choices are easy to eliminate. Is A wrong only because its awkward and this construction is not preferred on GMAT or is there any other reason??

Usage of "THE" in this construction is wrong. Below is a good explanation from RON.

https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... 61-15.html

Ron's explanation:
There are 2 problems with A.
- Major problem is "THE other infections." THE is too definitive here, carrying the connotation of "every single one of the other infections."
* THE is also incompatible with "such as":
- Correct: I never read this book, but I read the other books on the shelf.
- Correct: I never read this book, but I read other books on the shelf, such as "Right Hand, Left Hand" and "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich."
- Incorrect: I never read this book, but I read the other books on the shelf, such as "Right Hand, Left Hand" and "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich."
- Minor problem is "what they had not..." vs. "something they had not..." The "what" construction is awfully strong, suggesting that this was THE ONE THING they hadn't thought possible.
* As an analogy, compare the meanings of "I want to do what I love for a living" and "I want to do something I love for a living." The first suggests that the speaker has one particular field in mind; the second doesn't.

Also one more OG problem where the usage of "THE" in comparison creates a problem.

sc-although-she-was-considered-among-her-contemporaries-to-be-the-be-201838.html

In the above cited example if you notice Option 'A', the comparison states "She is the better Poet than her husband" It means "She is the only better poet than her husband". Usage of "THE" makes thing definite.

If we state as "She is a better poet than her husband" --> It means "She is also one among the better poets when compared with her husband."

Always be careful with usage of "THE" in an comparison or presenting examples.

If anything wrong in my understanding kindly rectify. Thanks.

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 148

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 314 [0], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2016, 22:29
prabhanshukumar32 wrote:
"of Such Infection as"..is it correct?

Yes Prabhanshu; in fact this is quite common and so, you should make yourself comfortable with this construct.

Couple of other official examples that deploy this structure:

Proponents of artificial intelligence say they will be able to make computers that can understand English and other human languages, recognize objects, and reason like an expert-computers that will be used for such purposes as diagnosing equipment breakdowns or deciding whether to authorize a loan

As business grows more complex, students who major in such specialized areas as finance and marketing are becoming more and more successful in the job market.

p.s. In fact, this doubt is so common among test takers that we've specifically mentioned in our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana that this is a legitimate construct. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id, I can mail the corresponding section.

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Kudos [?]: 314 [0], given: 11

Expert Post
Economist GMAT Tutor Instructor

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2016, 23:51
I agree that C is correct. It is just worth adding that the problem with D is that “something not considered a previous possibility” is not correct. It is not a “previous possibility” that we are considering here. It is “something they had not previously considered possible”, the wording in C. Note the presence of “what” and “something” at the beginning of the options. This is a typical GMAT trick to get you to concentrate on a difference at the start of the options. This difference is often not relevant.

Economist GMAT Tutor
Claim your completely free, full-access trial: http://econgm.at/GMATFreeTrial
Follow us @econtestprep
Contact us at (866) 292-0660 or support@gmat.economist.com

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3313 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2016, 10:12
apjoshua92 wrote:
C looks like the correct choice as it correctly uses "such as" instead of "like". The use of "the" in A looks awkward. although i don't know the grammatical reason. :roll:

The definite article "the" here seems to refer a group of diseases that has already been mentioned previously - however it has not been. It is often awkward to use a definite article when an item(s) is introduced for the first instance.

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2016, 09:47
oishik2910 wrote:
i was confused between A and C
can anyone please clarify that according to A its "the other infections such as " the word such as indicates other infections that may not be related to small pox
and C removes the word other and infection now seems to compare with only small pox

please clarify

Whether the "other" infections are related to small pox or not is not mentioned in either option A or C - that is not the point here. Moreover there is no grammatical comparison. The point is that some infections ( measles, yaws) can be controlled by programs similar to that used to eradicate small pox.

The problem with A is mentioned in the posts below:

the-success-of-the-program-to-eradicate-smallpox-has-63049-20.html#p1101919
the-success-of-the-program-to-eradicate-smallpox-has-63049-20.html#p1675393

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 612

GMAT 1: 610 Q43 V31
GMAT 2: 610 Q47 V27
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 4: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Project Management (Health Care)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2016, 04:55
prasannar wrote:

A. what they had not previously considered possible -- better control, if not eradication, of the other infections such as

B. what they had not previously considered a possibility -- better control, if not eradication, of such infections like

C. something they had not previously considered possible -- better control, if not eradication, of such infections as

D. something not considered a previous possibility -- better control and perhaps eradication, of other infections such as

E. the possibility of what they had not previously considered possible -- better control and possibly eradication of infections like

tricky question =]
B & E are out becuase of the use of like.

D changes the meaning + very heavy on words.

The difference between A and C is this:
- (a) " of the other infections" - the use of other is not clear. you have the things you considered and the ones you have no considered.
- (c) "of such" - to illustrate the thing they have no considered, a few examples are given. This is the correct meaning.

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 612

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 15

GPA: 3.87
WE: Research (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2016, 10:09
Never use "Like" for comparing the examples . ! Period ! Like is generally used for comparing nouns only. So eliminate the option B and E straight away. D - Pathetic connection between Eradication and control. So eliminate D. No need to use !

Now Juggling between A and C Options:

Chose C because in Option A "what" is a definitive usage and no need a definitive usage here.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 15

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 41

Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2017, 23:54
144144 wrote:
why cant u use like here?
and what is the rule? where can i use / not use Like?

thanks.

"Like" is used for similarities, and "such as" is used for examples.
For example: Life is like a box of chocolates. (Life resembles a box of chocolates.)
and: I enjoy playing musical instruments such as piano and violin. (Examples of instruments I enjoy playing.)

Hope it helps.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 41

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 136

Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 530 Q45 V20
GPA: 3.91
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2017, 03:01
vivesomnium wrote:
Problems with A:
1. use of the : 'of the other infectios, such as': the other infections makes it like there is a definite list of infections which are being talked of, and every single one of them will/can be controlled..
also the followed by such as is awckward usage.
2. use of what: very definitive.
I want to eat what I like vs. I want to eat something I like. the first sentence implies I have something particular, or a specific list in my mind. The second sentence is more open.
Here in the conetxt use of what seems to imply that 'the control ...' was the only thing the scientists had not considered possible. which might not be correct. It is something they didnt think was possible, not the only thing.

Nice explanation. But I beg to differ with some aspects of C as correct answer choice -

1. I hope the intended meaning is in definitive sense and C destroys this sense.
2. C changes the meaning of the original sentence. What I know about GMAT is "you can play with anything, but not the meaning for SC questions".

In spite of all these if C is the OA, then my question is "How to tackle these types of questions?"

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 136

Expert Post
Math Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 5506 [0], given: 112

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2017, 05:28
The success of the program to eradicate smallpox has stimulated experts to pursue what they had not previously considered possible - better control, if not eradication, of the other infection such as measles and yaws

1) what they had not previously considered possible - better control ,if not eradication, of the other infection such as
although generally in correct lines...
The real problem seems to be THE in 'the other infections -- it encompasses all other infections. Which is not what it should mean

2) what they had not previously considered a possibility - better control, if not eradication, of such infections like
LIKE is wrong to give examples, such as is correct.

3) something they had not previously considered possible - better control, if not eradication, of such infections​ as
Corrects the error-- Answer

4) something not considered a previous possibility - better control and perhaps eradication, of other infections such as
changes the meaning by using 'a previous possiblity'..
Again 'perhaps' is wrongly used.

5) the possibility of what they had not previously considered - better control and possibly eradication of infections like
wrong construction.. also like instead of such as

C

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 5506 [0], given: 112

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 315 [0], given: 2

Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2017, 06:14

Explanation:
To answer this question, you need to understand the use of "the" and "what"

Use "the" to refer to all of a certain type. For example, here "the other infections" refers to all the other infections not just limited to the two examples.

"what they had not" means that this is THE ONLY THING THAT They had not considered.

Eliminate (A) and (B).

In (D), "previous possibility" changes the meaning.
In (E), "possibility of what they had not previously considered possible", the two possibility makes it bad.

http://www.wiziuscareers.com
We Celebrate Your Success

Experts in Helping you get through a top-50 school with Low GMAT
Money-Back Guarantee Admission Consulting*

Kudos [?]: 315 [0], given: 2

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2017, 10:04
Top Contributor
The discussions have run so long that it is not clear whether the difference between 'infections such as' and 'such infections as' has been brought out in the prior postings. However, let me make bold to mention it here.
When we say infections such as x and y, we mean to say that there are several more genre of infections which may vary widely in their genesis, morphology or intervention, and the given examples are just two of such infections, not necessarily excluding others. However, this is not the intended meaning of the text. It implies that the so-called better control if not eradication is applicable to only to those two specified diseases such as measles and yaws. This is more plausible because the two cited infections are of similar nature to smallpox namely viral diseases manifested with rashes or blisters on the external body. If the author were to refer to all infections, why will he even give two examples?

This difference is vital in choosing C over A.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1602 [0], given: 400

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2017, 12:39
Quote:
Expert,why option a is not correct?
When we need to choose one between what and something, is 'something' a better option?

Vkat, check out this explanation from gmattokyo way back on page 1:

Quote:
here is an explanation from mgmat staff in their website (though I don't think I'll get this kind of SC right if given again ;-) )

the 'what' construction is problematic in this sentence, because, in general, 'what' conveys a sense of exclusivity / uniqueness. 'what they had not considered possible' implies that there is only one thing satisfying that description, in contrast to 'something...' which admits the possibility of many other such things.
....AND
the biggest bugbear in choice a is the word 'the', which creates an image of a definite set of other infections.

("Bugbear" = a very colloquial word for "problem".)

If this isn't enough, let me know, and I'll try to rephrase.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com | GMAT blog |food blog | Friendly warning: I'm really bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses

Kudos [?]: 1602 [0], given: 400

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 38

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2017, 22:15
arunavamunshi1988 wrote:
vivesomnium wrote:
Problems with A:
1. use of the : 'of the other infectios, such as': the other infections makes it like there is a definite list of infections which are being talked of, and every single one of them will/can be controlled..
also the followed by such as is awckward usage.
2. use of what: very definitive.
I want to eat what I like vs. I want to eat something I like. the first sentence implies I have something particular, or a specific list in my mind. The second sentence is more open.
Here in the conetxt use of what seems to imply that 'the control ...' was the only thing the scientists had not considered possible. which might not be correct. It is something they didnt think was possible, not the only thing.

Nice explanation. But I beg to differ with some aspects of C as correct answer choice -

1. I hope the intended meaning is in definitive sense and C destroys this sense.
2. C changes the meaning of the original sentence. What I know about GMAT is "you can play with anything, but not the meaning for SC questions".

In spite of all these if C is the OA, then my question is "How to tackle these types of questions?"

I have the same query. The replies so far on the thread mention that a definitive usage is not needed here. There is no logical reason why the author cannot use a definitive usage here. If both the usages are possible and the original sentence presents a definitive usage, is there a reason we should choose C over A even though A is grammatically correct and conveys a meaningful message, whereas C changes the meaning of the original sentence?

Experts - please clarify.
sayantanc2k daagh egmat mikemcgarry

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 38

Re: The success of the program to eradicate smallpox has   [#permalink] 18 May 2017, 22:15

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 36 posts ] 

The success of the program to eradicate smallpox has

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap