Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:00 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30797 [4]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 103 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 103 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
Re: The success of the program to eradicate smallpox has stimulated expert [#permalink]
daagh wrote:
Where is the word possible? Could you kindly give me the entire clause and picture, and make it easy for me respond? Also, better is an adjective and it modifies the noun control. It is actually the prepositional phrase 'of infections' that modifies the control. It is important to understand the structure of the sentence, or else, we may go astray in the meaning.

Apologies for being too abstract.
The success of the program to eradicate smallpox has stimulated experts to pursue what they had not previously considered possible−better control, if not eradication, of the other infections such as measles and yaws. I was referring to possible that is in bold font.
Now I understood the sentence clearly but have a question. better control of diseases is a possibility or better control of diseases is possible?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Re: The success of the program to eradicate smallpox has stimulated expert [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Both seem correct. can't make out any difference in meaning
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 288
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
Send PM
daagh
Isn't C fragment ?
There is no conjuction between the sucess.... has .... and they had not considered......
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
teaser

Quote:
Isn't C fragment ?
There is no conjuction between the sucess.... has .... and they had not considered

C: The success of the program to eradicate smallpox has stimulated experts to pursue something they had not previously considered possible

A run-on happens between two ICs.

The first IC is -The success of the program to eradicate smallpox has stimulated experts.

"to pursue something they had not previously considered possible" is not an IC. It actually means, "to pursue something (that/ which) they had not previously considered possible", with the relative pronoun elided and implied. Thus, ---" they had not previously considered possible --- is relative clause modifier that modifies the noun 'something. Therefore, it is not an IC.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1322 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
prasannar wrote:
The success of the program to eradicate smallpox has stimulated experts to pursue what they had not previously considered possible−better control, if not eradication, of the other infections such as measles and yaws.

(A) what they had not previously considered possible−better control, if not eradication, of the other infections such as

(B) what they had not previously considered a possibility−better control, if not eradication, of such infections like

(C) something they had not previously considered possible−better control, if not eradication, of such infections as

(D) something not considered a previous possibility−better control and perhaps eradication, of other infections such as

(E) the possibility of what they had not previously considered possible−better control and possibly eradication of infections like

GMATNinja EducationAisle daagh

Is "they had not previously considered possible" using past perfect? If so, is it not violating a grammar rule since we don't have 2 events in past?

I know "had considered" would be past perfect. Not sure about "had not considered".

Thanks!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
daba

We have already removed D and E for grammatically inappropriate meaning 'such as' and for the use of like to denote examples. If you are further going to remove A, B ,and C for the use of the dangling past perfect without a past tense, then we have to drop this question altogether. GMAT is keen the know what we will do in these tricky circumstances.,

Therefore, go for the best choice among the lot. You cn drop A and B for the same reasons we dropped D and E. You can choose C as th best among the lot despite the hole you pointed out.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
dabaobao wrote:
Is "they had not previously considered possible" using past perfect? If so, is it not violating a grammar rule since we don't have 2 events in past?

Hi dabaobao, this is definitely past perfect and it is not a violation of the rule.

Following two events happened in the past:
(i) stimulated experts to pursue <something>
(ii) earlier, they had not previously considered <something> possible

Clearly, (ii) happened before (i) and hence, is expressed as past perfect.

For example, following would also be a correct sentence:

Peter has finally aced the exam that he had earlier not been able to ace.

Again, ace the exam and not able to ace earlier, are two events that happened in the past. The event that happened earlier (not able to ace earlier) is expressed as past perfect.

Apart from the sentence under consideration, there are other official examples of this nature as well:

The success of the program to eradicate smallpox has stimulated experts to pursue something they had not previously considered possible -- better control, if not eradication, of such infections as measles and yaws.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V35
GPA: 3
Send PM
I have 3 questions pertaining to this question:

1. Isnt the use of "had not 'previously' considered" redundant ?
2. Why is answer choice D wrong ?
3. How are we sure that its only about the two diseases (i.e measles and yaws) . Arent they used only to serve as examples?
CrackVerbal Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
The success of the program to eradicate smallpox has stimulated experts to pursue what they had not previously considered possible−better control, if not eradication, of the other infections such as measles and yaws.

(A) what they had not previously considered possible−better control, if not eradication, of the other infections such as "the other" implies these are the only such infections. We can hold on to this option at this point.

(B) what they had not previously considered a possibility−better control, if not eradication, of such infections like "such + like" is incorrect - "such + as" is needed to give specific examples. Eliminate.

(C) something they had not previously considered possible−better control, if not eradication, of such infections as Correct answer.

(D) something not considered a previous possibility−better control and perhaps eradication, of other infections such as Meaning change - "not considered a previous possibility" implies that, in the present, it was considered possible only in the past. The "previous" should, instead, apply to "considered" and not "possibility". Eliminate.

(E) the possibility of what they had not previously considered possible−better control and possibly eradication of infections like "possibility...possible" is redundant. Usage of "like" to give examples is incorrect. Eliminate.

Given the much cleaner option (C), we can eliminate option (A).

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1531
Send PM
Hi VeritasKarishma

Quote:
scp wrote:
The success of the program to eradicate smallpox has stimulated experts to pursue what they had not previously considered possible - better control, if not eradication, of the other infections such as measles and yaws.
A. what they had not previously considered possible - better control, if not eradication, of the other infections such as

B. what they had not previously considered possible - better control, if not eradication, of the other infections like

C. something they had not previously considered possible - better control, if not eradication, of such infections as

D. something had not considered a previous possibility- better control, and perhaps eradication, of other infections such as

E. the possibility of what they had not previouly considered - better control and possibly eradication of infections like

Im confused between A and C as all the other choices are easy to eliminate. Is A wrong only because its awkward and this construction is not preferred on GMAT or is there any other reason??

There is an issue with (A). When I read it, there is a mismatch in my mind. What does the author mean by 'the other infections'. He hasn't talked about any other infections yet.

e.g.
Bring the child here.
refers to a specific child whose identity is known or obvious to the listener;

The use of definite article (the) is not correct here. He has not listed out all the relevant infections. So when he talks about smallpox and 'the other infections', it doesn't make sense.

I got this question wrong on my Practice test. I want to put this in my error log and make the most out of it by reviewing my mistake. However, I don't know what's that takeaway. I was between A and C, but I went ahead with A. I've the thread but reading all the different reasons is doing me more harm than good.

Are you saying the diseases such as measles and yaws should be mentioned before if the author wants to use the definite article "the"?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64925 [3]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Vegita wrote:
Hi VeritasKarishma

Quote:
scp wrote:
The success of the program to eradicate smallpox has stimulated experts to pursue what they had not previously considered possible - better control, if not eradication, of the other infections such as measles and yaws.
A. what they had not previously considered possible - better control, if not eradication, of the other infections such as

B. what they had not previously considered possible - better control, if not eradication, of the other infections like

C. something they had not previously considered possible - better control, if not eradication, of such infections as

D. something had not considered a previous possibility- better control, and perhaps eradication, of other infections such as

E. the possibility of what they had not previouly considered - better control and possibly eradication of infections like

Im confused between A and C as all the other choices are easy to eliminate. Is A wrong only because its awkward and this construction is not preferred on GMAT or is there any other reason??

There is an issue with (A). When I read it, there is a mismatch in my mind. What does the author mean by 'the other infections'. He hasn't talked about any other infections yet.

e.g.
Bring the child here.
refers to a specific child whose identity is known or obvious to the listener;

The use of definite article (the) is not correct here. He has not listed out all the relevant infections. So when he talks about smallpox and 'the other infections', it doesn't make sense.

I got this question wrong on my Practice test. I want to put this in my error log and make the most out of it by reviewing my mistake. However, I don't know what's that takeaway. I was between A and C, but I went ahead with A. I've the thread but reading all the different reasons is doing me more harm than good.

Are you saying the diseases such as measles and yaws should be mentioned before if the author wants to use the definite article "the"?

Yes. You cannot use "the other" here. When I use the definite article 'the', I am implying that I already know what the other infections are. Had it been just "...other infections such as..." in option (A), I would have considered it.

But upon consideration, note that "other infections" doesn't go with the rest of the sentence.

What is it that the experts had not previously considered possible? "That infections could be better controlled, if not eradicated."
As per (A), what experts had not previously considered possible is "better control, if not eradication, of the other infections such as..."
So does it mean that previously they had considered eradicating small pox possible but not "other infections"? No. The sentence is telling us that before the success with smallpox eradication, the experts had thought that infections cannot be better controlled.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [4]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos