Last visit was: 13 May 2024, 13:12 It is currently 13 May 2024, 13:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: University of Florida
Own Kudos [?]: 2984 [33]
Given Kudos: 630
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 2: 610 Q44 V30
GMAT 3: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 4: 590 Q35 V35
GPA: 3.45
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28629 [7]
Given Kudos: 130
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [2]
Given Kudos: 597
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: The weight of the average American male today is roughly fifteen perce [#permalink]
Kudos
After so many wrongs in this type of problem I started loving this type. while test taker's mind is busy in finding the comparison, test makers subtly change the meaning. - is it OK to compare mind vs test makers? :)

Back to the question.

A. The weight of the average American male today is roughly fifteen percent greater than fifty years ago. - weight vs time.

B. The weight of the average American male is roughly fifteen percent greater today than fifty years ago. weight vs time.

C. Today, the weight of the average American male is roughly fifteen percent greater than fifty years ago. - weight vs time.

D. The average American male weighs roughly fifteen percent more today than fifty years ago. - remove today and then read, no sense

E. The weight of the average American male today is roughly fifteen percent greater than it was fifty years ago.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [1]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
Re: The weight of the average American male today is roughly fifteen perce [#permalink]
Kudos
veritas is rising to top quality of sc problems. but the official explanation in veritas is not good.
veritas has a similar problem in which I post the same point I post here.

the golden rule for making comparison. keep both tense and mood (negative or affirmative) of the first clause when making ellipsis.

this means we have to keep present tense of "is", "weights" of the first clause and connect this tense with "fifty years ago". this is absurd.

the weight is 15 percent greater today than it IS fifty years ago. "is" can not fit with "ago".

this is why choice E is wrong.
I can give you an example in which "than fifty years ago" is correct

the weight of male american WAS 15 percent greater last year than fifty years ago

this is correct because "was" is fit with both sides of "than".

thank you
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [1]
Given Kudos: 93
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.69
Send PM
The weight of the average American male today is roughly fifteen perce [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Hi ExpertsGlobal5

why in this question, for example in option B, we think that it is comparing weight to a time frame,
The weight of the average American male is roughly fifteen percent greater today than fifty years ago

Whereas; in this question, we can safely say that comparison is between time periods
https://gmatclub.com/forum/all-major-ca ... 44744.html

All major Canadian cities reported significantly higher hotel occupancy in the four months from June through September last year than during a similar period a year earlier

vs

All major Canadian cities reported significantly higher hotel occupancy in the four months from June through September last year than that during similar period a year earlier

What really defines what is compared to what in comparison questions?

Many thanks for your kind replies:)

Originally posted by gloomybison on 16 Dec 2021, 13:54.
Last edited by gloomybison on 24 Dec 2021, 14:54, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 258 [0]
Given Kudos: 1023
Send PM
Question to experts:
Can someone please tell me why B is wrong?
B. The weight of the average American male is roughly fifteen percent greater today than fifty years ago.

I think here the comparison is correct between 'today' and '50 years ago'.
I choose this over E because it is succinct and clear. I am genuinely confused on this one!!!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 623484 [0]
Given Kudos: 81851
Send PM
Expert Reply
avohden wrote:
The weight of the average American male today is roughly fifteen percent greater than fifty years ago.

A. The weight of the average American male today is roughly fifteen percent greater than fifty years ago.

B. The weight of the average American male is roughly fifteen percent greater today than fifty years ago.

C. Today, the weight of the average American male is roughly fifteen percent greater than fifty years ago.

D. The average American male weighs roughly fifteen percent more today than fifty years ago.

E. The weight of the average American male today is roughly fifteen percent greater than it was fifty years ago.

VERITAS PREP OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

Correct Answer: (E)

This is a classic comparison question. We need to be comparing today’s average weight to the former average weight, but answer choices (A) through (D) all fill one of those two comparison slots with “fifty years ago.” (E) employs an “it” to substitute for “weight,” and thus it effects a fair comparison.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GPA: 3.48
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
confused btw E and B

In (E), doesn’t the pronoun “it” refers to the phrase which includes the word “today”?

how can i be sure that the reference of “it” stops before
the word “today”??

then the second sentence would be illogical, since it will look “~~~ today was years ago”

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
this problem goes against the thinking gmat sc has . i think
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 948 [0]
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GRE 1: Q170 V167
Send PM
Expert Reply
avohden wrote:
The weight of the average American male today is roughly fifteen percent greater than fifty years ago.

A. The weight of the average American male today is roughly fifteen percent greater than fifty years ago.

C. Today, the weight of the average American male is roughly fifteen percent greater than fifty years ago.

D. The average American male weighs roughly fifteen percent more today than fifty years ago.

Answer choice (E) is correct.

Answer choices (A), (B), (C), and (D) all make the same incorrect comparison: they compare the weight of the average American male to "fifty years ago"

The correct comparison, which (E) makes, is between the "weight of the average American male today" and "it" [i.e., the weight] fifty years ago.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 399 [0]
Given Kudos: 120
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
mikemcgarry can we say weight is greater? isnt it like saying height is taller?

Shouldnt we use the average american weighs more than it did 50 years ago?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 948 [0]
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GRE 1: Q170 V167
Send PM
Expert Reply
avohden wrote:

The correct answer is (E)

The placement of "today" is a bit of a trap; the word moves around in the incorrect answer choices, but they are all principally incorrect because of an incorrect comparison.

A. Incorrect comparison. The weight of the average American male is incorrectly compared to "fifty years ago"
B. Incorrect comparison. The weight of the average American male is incorrectly compared to "fifty years ago"
C. Incorrect comparison. The weight of the average American male is incorrectly compared to "fifty years ago"
D. Incorrect comparison. The weight of the average American male is incorrectly compared to "fifty years ago"

E is correct because the answer choice employs "than it was," comparing "the weight of the average American male today" to "it" (i.e., the weight) fifty years ago.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.29
Send PM
Can anybody explain why ellipses can't be used here?

The weight of the average American male today is roughly fifteen percent greater than (The weight of the average American male) fifty years ago.

Thank you
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 599
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Hi experts,

Please kindly help to explain why comparison in incorrect choice B between today and fifty years ago is not correct and 'it' in correct choice B is unambiguous. Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
I have learned that "it" is used when same noun is considered for the comparison, however "that" is used when you need to have another copy of the noun for comparison.

Now

When we say

The weight of the average American male today is roughly fifteen percent greater than it was fifty years ago.

are not we talking about same weight of Amari can male today?

any expert help will be appreciated.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4684 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
gloomybison wrote:
Hi ExpertsGlobal5

why in this question, for example in option B, we think that it is comparing weight to a time frame,
The weight of the average American male is roughly fifteen percent greater today than fifty years ago

Whereas; in this question, we can safely say that comparison is between time periods
https://gmatclub.com/forum/all-major-ca ... 44744.html

All major Canadian cities reported significantly higher hotel occupancy in the four months from June through September last year than during a similar period a year earlier

vs

All major Canadian cities reported significantly higher hotel occupancy in the four months from June through September last year than that during similar period a year earlier

What really defines what is compared to what in comparison questions?

Many thanks for your kind replies:)

Hello gloomybison,

We hope this finds you well.

Having gone through the question and your query, we believe we can help resolve your doubt.

Typically, if a sentence uses a construction along the line of "is more...than" to draw a comparison, the elements being compared are those on either side of the construction.

We can see the same in the example you provided of Option B, wherein "The weight of the average American male" and "fifty years ago" are on either side of the construction "is...greater...than".

However, the linked question does not use such a construction; to help you understand, here is a simplified version of the same - "There was significantly higher hotel occupancy in A than during B."

Thus, in the linked question, the correct answer compares the similar phrases "in the four months" and "during a similar period", and the incorrect one compares "in the four months" to "that". In both cases, the first point of comparison is "in the four months", not "hotel occupancy".

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 850 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6927 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts