Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:20 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 739 [128]
Given Kudos: 246
GPA: 3
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [37]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [10]
Given Kudos: 43
Schools: Cambridge'16
General Discussion
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31969 [3]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
Re: All major Canadian cities reported significantly higher hotel occupanc [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi,

All major Canadian cities reported significantly higher hotel occupancy in the four months from June through September last year than that of a similar period a year earlier

A) that of a similar period
What does THAT stand for:- hotel occupancy? replace i the sentence and see if it makes sense

B) a similar period
Wrong comparison

C) those of a similar period's
Completely off track with use of THOSE and period'S

D) during a similar period
correctly formed dentence....
All major Canadian cities reported significantly higher hotel occupancy in the four months from June through September last year than during a similar period a year earlier

E) that during a similar period
Same as choice A

D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [1]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: All major Canadian cities reported significantly higher hotel occupanc [#permalink]
Kudos
I wonder what is wrong with E?

I am not very convinced with the explanation.
Please help.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5428 [3]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
rekhabishop wrote:
I wonder what is wrong with E?

I am not very convinced with the explanation.
Please help.

Hi rekhabishop ,

Here we are comparing two time periods of a certain hotel occupancy.

'That' in E tells us that we are comparing Hotel occupancy in one period with the hotel occupancy of another period. This is making the actual meaning wrong.

D is clearly telling us that hotel occupancy of two periods has been compared. Hence, D is correct.

Did you notice the difference?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
WE:Marketing (Manufacturing)
Send PM
IMO it's E

The difference between D and E is whether we should include 'that' after than or not. As the comparison term higher is in front of hotel occupancy ('that') keeping that after than keeps it parallel. If the sentence structure would have been 'hotel occupancy was higher' , then 'than during.. ' is correct answer.

Option A is wrong because of the preposition 'of' , during conveys the meaning clearly.

Not completely sure about this though...What is the official answer?

Sent from my BLN-L22 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [8]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Saha6812 wrote:
IMO it's E

The difference between D and E is whether we should include 'that' after than or not. As the comparison term higher is in front of hotel occupancy ('that') keeping that after than keeps it parallel. If the sentence structure would have been 'hotel occupancy was higher' , then 'than during.. ' is correct answer.

Option A is wrong because of the preposition 'of' , during conveys the meaning clearly.

Not completely sure about this though...What is the official answer?

Sent from my BLN-L22 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

In comparison type questions, it is recommeneded to first identify one element of the comparison (generally the first is easier to identify). Here the first element can be considered either of the following:
1. a clause: All major Canadian cities reported....
OR
2. an adverbial phrase: in the four months ...

If 1. is considered the first element, then there should be a clause in the second element, and the correct answer would be:
...than (they reported) during a similar period a year earlier.
If 2. is considered the first element, then then there should be an adverbial phrase / adverb in the second element, and the correct answer would be:
...than during a similar period a year earlier (option D).

A pronoun in the second element does not fit in any case. Option E is wrong because an adverbial phrase / a clause is wrongly compared with a pronoun ("that").
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [1]
Given Kudos: 77
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE:Other (Education)
Send PM
Bookmarks
I am not able to understand what differentiates D and E and why option E is wrong.
Please explain.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20719 [5]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
haardiksharma wrote:
All major Canadian cities reported significantly higher hotel occupancy in the four months from June through September last year than that of a similar period a year earlier.

(A) that of a similar period

(B) a similar period

(C) those of a similar period's

(D) during a similar period

(E) that during a similar period

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

This problem directly tests parallelism in a comparison: when drawing a comparison, the items being compared must be logically (the proverbial "apples to apples" comparison) and grammatically parallel.

Choice B commits the most common type of comparison error: it's comparing occupancy to "a similar period" last year. You cannot compare "occupancy" to "period," so B is incorrect.

Choices A, C, and E all try to correct that error using a possessive (that of, those of, 's, etc.), but in doing so still fail to draw a logical, parallel comparison. What is being possessed by the period? The comparison begins with "Canadian cities reported...", which is not possession, so the possessive choices are all incorrect.

Choice D draws a proper comparison. With the verbiage in B, you have:

Canadian cities reported higher hotel occupancy:

1) in this period

than

2) during a similar period last year

Note that each portion is logically equivalent (you're comparing period to period) and grammatically equivalent (each has a preposition - "in" or "during" - and then describes the period). For this reason, choice D is correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 279
Concentration: Technology, Statistics
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hello Sir,
EducationAisle
If I were to write this sentence as:

All major Canadian cities reported hotel occupancy to have been significantly higher in the four months from June through September last year than in the previous year.
or
All major Canadian cities reported hotel occupancy to have been significantly higher in the four months from June through September last year than that in the previous year.

Which one would be correct/preferable in GMAT and why so?

Thanks a ton in advance :)
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Vishalcv wrote:
Hello Sir,
EducationAisle
If I were to write this sentence as:

All major Canadian cities reported hotel occupancy to have been significantly higher in the four months from June through September last year than in the previous year.
or
All major Canadian cities reported hotel occupancy to have been significantly higher in the four months from June through September last year than that in the previous year.

Which one would be correct/preferable in GMAT and why so?

Both would not be great sentences Vishal, because they seem be comparing hotel occupancy between:

i) in the four months from June through September last year

and

ii) previous year

"a similar period" makes it very clear that the intent is to compare hotel occupancy across two years, for these four months only.

p.s. It's always a good idea to focus on official questions.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.69
Send PM
All major Canadian cities reported significantly higher hotel occupanc [#permalink]
VeritasKarishma
I am not totally sure why E would be wrong

All major Canadian cities reported significantly higher hotel occupancy in the four months from June through September last year than that during a similar period a year earlier.

I think we can also safely make the comparison between hotel occupancy numbers. In the end, we are trying to say that hotel occupancy numbers for the four month of this year is higher than hotel occupancy numbers for the same four month of last year

All major Canadian cities reported significantly higher hotel occupancy in the four months from June through September last year than hotel occupany during a similar period a year earlier.

Originally posted by gloomybison on 05 Dec 2021, 09:16.
Last edited by gloomybison on 07 Dec 2021, 15:14, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 104
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GPA: 4
Send PM
All major Canadian cities reported significantly higher hotel occupanc [#permalink]
All major Canadian cities reported significantly higher hotel occupancy in the four months from June through September last year than that of a similar period a year earlier

(A) that of a similar period
(B) a similar period
(C) those of a similar period's
(D) during a similar period
(E) that during a similar period

This is how I solved this question in 47Seconds.

Than that - I felt than is just sufficient when comparing two periods. [thought ‘that’ is redundant] so A&E out

During Is the one word that represents time frame in parallel to June through September. Thus D is the answer.

Please correct or guide of my thought process is wrong

Posted from my mobile device
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64940 [3]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Kudos