Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:24 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [19]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.15
WE:Accounting (Investment Banking)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [2]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32938 [2]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [1]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
Re: The World Wide Web, a network of electronically produced and interconn [#permalink]
Kudos
ishita27 wrote:
Hi Gau, I understand the answer explanation for Q.8, in Q.1 I am still not sure where does democracy come from...
Gau0809 wrote:
ishita27 wrote:
Hey, I need help with Question.1 and Question.8

In question 1, B is the correct answer but where does the "free exchange of idea needed in democracy" come from? Also, the author says that changes in law are ill-advised because they will restrict the free exchange of idea, but the author never says that such changes are welcomed if they will amplify the free-exchange. How can we assume this?

In question 8, D is the correct answer, but where does the article say that under current law author can sue anyone who distributes the document without permission. Infact, this is the change which most authors want to bring in but is not present in the current law. If it were true why would the authors want the laws to be strengthened Please help explain.

GMATNinja generis EMPOWERgmatVerbal can someone please explain?

Hi

As per my understanding,

Q1. Primary purpose of the passage
The last few lines of the passage tell us the tone of the author and the overall crux.
"Changing copyright law to benefit owners of intellectual property is thus ill-advised because it would impede the development of the Web as a public forum dedicated to the free exchange of ideas."
As per this statement, B is the right option.

Q8. About the current copyright laws
In the second passage, it is mentioned that " This immediate accessibility creates a problem, since current copyright laws give owners of intellectual property the right to sue a distributor of unauthorized copies of their material even if that distributor did not personally make the copies."
Hence D.

well, yes- there is no specific reference of the word "democracy" in the passage. But what author is trying to imply by the use of democracy is the freedom of use of web for all the people- public usage and not limiting the use to a specific group- hence the word democracy.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32938 [1]
Send PM
Re: The World Wide Web, a network of electronically produced and interconn [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
dharam48 wrote:
please explain why option B in q. 7 is incorrect?

In answer option B the analogy is offered in support of the author’s position, not the other side so B is incorrect.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.87
Send PM

In question 1, B is the correct answer but where does the "free exchange of idea needed in democracy" come from? Also, the author says that changes in law are ill-advised because they will restrict the free exchange of idea, but the author never says that such changes are welcomed if they will amplify the free-exchange. How can we assume this?

In question 8, D is the correct answer, but where does the article say that under current law author can sue anyone who distributes the document without permission. Infact, this is the change which most authors want to bring in but is not present in the current law. If it were true why would the authors want the laws to be strengthened Please help explain.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Send PM
ishita27 wrote:

Hi

As per my understanding,

The last few lines of the passage tell us the tone of the author and the overall crux.
"Changing copyright law to benefit owners of intellectual property is thus ill-advised because it would impede the development of the Web as a public forum dedicated to the free exchange of ideas."

In the second passage, it is mentioned that " This immediate accessibility creates a problem, since current copyright laws give owners of intellectual property the right to sue a distributor of unauthorized copies of their material even if that distributor did not personally make the copies."
Hence D.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.87
Send PM
Hi Gau, I understand the answer explanation for Q.8, in Q.1 I am still not sure where does democracy come from...
Gau0809 wrote:
ishita27 wrote:

Hi

As per my understanding,

Hence D.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 140 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Sustainability
Send PM
@Bunnuel bb

The ans to the first question of this passage is marked incorrect. It should be A.

Please check link.

https://thelsattrainer.academy/wp-conte ... es-PDF.pdf
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.15
WE:Accounting (Investment Banking)
Send PM
VERBAL1 wrote:
@Bunnuel bb

The ans to the first question of this passage is marked incorrect. It should be A.

Please check link.

https://thelsattrainer.academy/wp-conte ... es-PDF.pdf

Thanks for pointing it out. Have made the correction.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 163
Schools: IIMA PGPX'23
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39 (Online)
Send PM
Sajjad1994 wrote:
dharam48 wrote:

In answer option B the analogy is offered in support of the author’s position, not the other side so B is incorrect.

Sajjad1994 bhai, I have marked every option correct except this one. Option B still seems good to me.

A: same role as played by the creator of a document
B: same role as played by the perceived "distributor" of the document.

Quote:
When A places a document on a Web page, this is comparable to recording an outgoing message on one’s telephone answering machine for others to hear. When B creates a link to A’s document, this is akin to B’s giving out A’s telephone number, thereby allowing third parties to hear the outgoing message for themselves. Anyone who calls can listen to the message; that is its purpose. While B’s link may indeed facilitate access to A’s document, the crucial point is that A, simply by placing that document on the Web, is thereby offering it for distribution. Therefore, even if B leads others to the document, it is A who actually controls access to it. Hence creating a link to a document is not the same as making or distributing a copy of that document.

I can now see that the whole motive of this discussion was to get to the last sentence in bold, and hence, option D. But isn't there an analogy as well?
Option B: provide an analogy to illustrate the positions taken by each of the two sides in the copyright debate.

Is option D "more correct" than option B because option D directly hits at the main goal of the discussion here (which is what the question has asked for) and because option B just gives the on-surface description of the discussion? I am just thinking out loud here to find the reason why I faltered in this one question. :) :)
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32938 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
sssanskaar wrote:

Sajjad1994 bhai, I have marked every option correct except this one. Option B still seems good to me.

Is option D "more correct" than option B because option D directly hits at the main goal of the discussion here (which is what the question has asked for) and because option B just gives the on-surface description of the discussion? I am just thinking out loud here to find the reason why I faltered in this one question. :) :)

According to the passage the author offers the telephone analogy as a means of illustrating that no unauthorized distribution occurs when one provides a link to an existing web page. D answers it comparatively in straightforward term and is correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
I am little confused with question 4, problem was with people posting link of authors respective documents, but does it mean banning authorship and writing completely, sport in option 4 is similar to wide umbrella - that is authorship ,writing so, banning sports is similar to banning writing and posting it on the web, it isn't the concern of the passage. Please someone address this query
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [0]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.72
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Hi

I agree that Choice A is a summary of the passage but what is wrong with choice B in Question 1?

Thanks in Advance
Harsh
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
Harsh9676 wrote:
Hi

I agree that Choice A is a summary of the passage but what is wrong with choice B in Question 1?

Thanks in Advance
Harsh

Passage summary.

Paragraph 1: Conflict b/t interests of owners and web users; tighten copyright law?

Paragraph 2: Problem: Linking—is it copyright infringement?

Paragraph 3: Telephone analogy; not copyright infringement; author’s view—d/n change law

(B) Worldwide restrictions are outside the scope of the passage, as are penalties for copyright infringement. B is wrong and A is the answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
Send PM
Sajjad1994
Could you please explain question #5. How to eliminate option D?
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
Danush649 wrote:
Sajjad1994
Could you please explain question #5. How to eliminate option D?

Explanation

5. The passage most strongly implies which one of the following?

Difficulty Level: 650

Explanation

Where there’s no direction in the stem of an Inference question, we have to work with the answer choices. Don’t just start skimming the passage; we should use material in the choices to guide us back to specific parts of the passage that will tell us whether the answer choice is supported by the passage or not.
Without further ado, let’s get to work:

(A) ”Creators of links to Web pages” and “owners of intellectual property” are discussed as two different groups in paragraph 3, but the passage gives no reason why there couldn’t be people who are members of both groups. Eliminate.

(B) Correct! The author’s analogy in Paragraph 3 is aimed at establishing that control remains in the hands of the owner and linking is thus not copyright infringement, which hinges on distribution. For the record:

(C) Privacy rights aren’t at issue; this is about copyright infringement. Eliminate.

(D) Contradicts the author’s view, illustrated by his analogy in paragraph 3. Eliminate.

(E) Totally outside the scope; the issue here isn’t format but control.

Answer: B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 226
Send PM
The World Wide Web, a network of electronically produced and interconn [#permalink]
Sajjad1994 hi if you have OE, pls post it for all of the questions. Especially Q6 and Q8, Thanks
Often I can understand the passage well, but I cannot do questions correct, so very confused and don’t know why.
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
Explanation

6. According to the passage, which one of the following features of outgoing messages left on telephone answering machines is most relevant to the debate concerning copyright infringement?

Difficulty Level: 600

Explanation

The “outgoing messages left on telephone answer machines” are discussed starting on line 31: "this is comparable to recording an outgoing message". Revisit these lines to see where the author’s focus is: on the owner being the one who makes the message available to anyone who chooses to access it, which is reflected in (E).

(A) The author doesn’t really care that both telephones and Web pages are electronic means of communication. Eliminate.

(B) Not only does the author not address legal protections for phone messages, he states that no unauthorized distribution takes place. Eliminate.

(C) The author’s reference to instantaneous distribution is in paragraph 2, not related to the phone message analogy. Eliminate.

(D) Recording isn’t at issue; the issue is access and distribution. Eliminate.

Answer: E
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts