Last visit was: 14 May 2024, 20:45 It is currently 14 May 2024, 20:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4454 [7]
Given Kudos: 325
Concentration: Technology, Other
GPA: 2.44
WE:Project Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 623823 [3]
Given Kudos: 81864
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 623823 [2]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4454 [0]
Given Kudos: 325
Concentration: Technology, Other
GPA: 2.44
WE:Project Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Re: There are 17 students in a certain class. On the day the te [#permalink]
Makes sense . Thanks Bunuel !

I found this thread that has more example . Posting it here just to help somebody like me in search of Average tricks .

average-accelerated-guide-to-solve-averages-quickly-77148.html

Regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V36
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V36
WE:Marketing (Transportation)
Send PM
I went with the following

77*16=1232

78*17=1326

1326-1232=94

94 was the score.

Hope it makes sense
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
guerrero25 wrote:
There are 17 students in a certain class. On the day the test was given, Taqeesha was absent. The other 16 students took the test, and their average was 77. The next day, Taqeesha took the test, and with her grade included, the new average is 78. What is Taqeesha’s grade on the test?

A. 78
B. 80
C. 87
D. 91
E. 94

I took this question from Magoosh . I saw somebody coming up with a very quick solution -

"When Taqeesha took the test, the average increased from 77 to 78. That means, Taqeesha scored 78 plus 1 mark for each one of the other students. i.e., 78 + 16 = 94."

approach is unclear :(

I could easily solve this using the conventional way i.e with average formula . I would like to understand the above approach . Also, Kindly help me with some similar questions that I can practice to make sure I nail this concept well .

As always , thank you !

Say all 16 students got 77 (so the average is naturally 77).

Now, what should be the 17th student score in order the average to be 78? If all 17 had 78 then the average would be 78, but 16 have 77, so Taqeesha should get 78+16*1=94.

Hope it's clear.

Bunuel,
What are we adding here? It seems to me that we are adding score+number of students = score? Can you please explain?
Btw I did it the long way as described above.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 623823 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Skag55 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
guerrero25 wrote:
There are 17 students in a certain class. On the day the test was given, Taqeesha was absent. The other 16 students took the test, and their average was 77. The next day, Taqeesha took the test, and with her grade included, the new average is 78. What is Taqeesha’s grade on the test?

A. 78
B. 80
C. 87
D. 91
E. 94

I took this question from Magoosh . I saw somebody coming up with a very quick solution -

"When Taqeesha took the test, the average increased from 77 to 78. That means, Taqeesha scored 78 plus 1 mark for each one of the other students. i.e., 78 + 16 = 94."

I could easily solve this using the conventional way i.e with average formula . I would like to understand the above approach . Also, Kindly help me with some similar questions that I can practice to make sure I nail this concept well .

As always , thank you !

Say all 16 students got 77 (so the average is naturally 77).

Now, what should be the 17th student score in order the average to be 78? If all 17 had 78 then the average would be 78, but 16 have 77, so Taqeesha should get 78+16*1=94.

Hope it's clear.

Bunuel,
What are we adding here? It seems to me that we are adding score+number of students = score? Can you please explain?
Btw I did it the long way as described above.

We are adding average score (78) and surplus score (16*1), so that the average to be 78.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1373 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Expert Reply
guerrero25 wrote:

A. 78
B. 80
C. 87
D. 91
E. 94

As always , thank you !

Using the conventional method of average would be easier if the numbers are small but can be time consuming if the values are too high.
Let us say that 16 students scored 77 marks on Day 1. So average is obviously 77.

Next day when Taqeesha appears for the test, the average rises to 78.
So let's assume that all of them score 78.
So, we need to increase 1 mark in all previous 16 students and add 78 marks of Taqeesha.
So, 78 + 1 * 16 = 94.
Hence option E.

--
Optimus Prep's GMAT On Demand course for only $299 covers all verbal and quant. concepts in detail. Visit the following link to get your 7 days free trial account: https://www.optimus-prep.com/gmat-on-demand-course
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 828 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
93261 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3136 posts