Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 19:17 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32919 [15]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32919 [1]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 415 [0]
Given Kudos: 778
Send PM
Re: There are over 110 million dogs and cats in the United States, which i [#permalink]
Please explain how A is correct.
Is it exception to "touch rule"?

Which doesn't modify US.

SajjadAhmad wrote:
saurabh4098 wrote:
Can anyone pls share their 2 cents on how A is the answer?

Official Explanation

The correct answer is (A). (B) is incorrect because of the plural verb form “are.”

(C) is incorrect because a clause, not an adjective phrase, is needed to express the complete thought underlined in the original sentence.
(D) changes the meaning of the original by making an illogical comparison.
And (E) is not idiomatic.

Hope it helps
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: There are over 110 million dogs and cats in the United States, which i [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:

How can A be the answer. Which is used for words which precede it (before the comma). Here, A makes the sentence look like which is used for United States, making no sense.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Send PM
There are over 110 million dogs and cats in the United States, which i [#permalink]
Quite confused between A and E.

"Which" modifies the noun it follows so :
United States, which is more than the population of any Western European country. - How can this be correct ?
Is there an exception which I am not aware of ..

Whereas Option E -
"more than in any Western European country by population" - it correctly modifies the meaning of the words written before the comma.

Please assist ..

Originally posted by sourabh292 on 20 Oct 2019, 00:38.
Last edited by sourabh292 on 21 Oct 2019, 04:42, edited 1 time in total.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
There are over 110 million dogs and cats in the United States, which i [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
sourabh292 wrote:
Quite confused between A and E.

"Which" modifies the noun it follows so :
United States, which is more than the population of any Western European country. - How can this be correct ?
Is there an exception which I dont aware of ..

Agreed sourabh292. In option A, which is intended to modify the figure 110 million. This is quite rare and non-standard from a GMAT perspective. However, A would still be the best among the given choices.

Let's look at option E

Quote:
Whereas Option E -
"more than in any Western European country by population" - it correctly modifies the meaning of the words written before the comma.

Notice that E completely changes the meaning of the original sentence. Original sentence is comparing 110 million with population of any Western European country.

On the other hand, by introducing in, option E is comparing population of dogs and cats in the United States, with (population of dogs and cats) in any Western European country. That's a clear deviation from the intended meaning.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Concentration: Marketing, Statistics
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GPA: 3
Send PM
Hi can someone please explain why A is the right answer choice and E isn't
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: IIM Bangalore
Own Kudos [?]: 404 [0]
Given Kudos: 326
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V26
GRE 1: Q162 V149
GPA: 3.6
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
I hate the exception to touch rule questions. How in the world could ,which not modify the preceding noun, United States

EMPOWERgmatVerbal EMPOWERgmatRichC : Would you like to comment on the correctness of this question. I have been seeing a similar touch rule violation on many unofficial questions these days
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
saukrit wrote:
I hate the exception to touch rule questions. How in the world could ,which not modify the preceding noun, United States

I have been seeing a similar touch rule violation on many unofficial questions these days

Hi saukrit, you have to be prepared for touch rule violation on official questions as well (though, as I mentioned in my post above, it is pretty rare).

So, sometimes, it will just boil down to choosing the best, among the given choices.

An officially correct answer:

Gusty westerly winds will continue to usher a seasonably cool air mass into the region while a broad area of high pressure builds, which will bring fair and dry weather for several days.

The usage of participial phrase (bringing fair and dry weather for several days) would have been an ideal usage here, but test-makers had other ideas:).
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14673 [1]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hello!

While there has been some great discussion about this issue, let's add our two cents!

Let's first figure out logically what the modifier and antecedent should be:

There are over 110 million dogs and cats in the United States, which is more than the population of any Western European country.

Modifier = which is more than the population of any Western European country
Antecedent = 110 million dogs and cats

So what part of speech is "in the United States" then??

The problem we're dealing with here is tricky. The phrase "in the United States" is NOT the noun you're looking for - it's a prepositional phrase that has been placed between the noun and the "which" phrase. In most cases, it can muddle or mislead readers and you should not do this. However, in cases like this one, the reader can easily tell that the "which" phrase is referring to the number (110 million) and not the country.

Here are a couple examples of other sentences that do this without being confusing or misleading:

Horace made a donation to the new animal shelter in San Francisco, which was in desperate need of funds to get started.

Modifier = which was in desperate need of funds to get started
Antecedent = animal shelter
Prepositional Phrase stuck between them = in San Francisco

People starting leaving during the first act of the film, which was before all of the cool stuff really started happening.

Modifier = which was before all of the cools tuff really started happening
Antecedent = the first act
Prepositional Phrase stuck between them = of the film

Remember that the GMAT isn't asking you to find a perfect answer - they want you to find the best answer. In this case, option A isn't perfect - but it has far fewer (and less problematic) mistakes than the other options.

I hope this helps!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts