Last visit was: 10 May 2024, 15:57 It is currently 10 May 2024, 15:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35538 [29]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35538 [12]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [1]
Given Kudos: 174
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
WE:Brand Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1025 [1]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
Re: Though the remains of some of the oldest hominid specimens have almost [#permalink]
Kudos
Though the remains of some of the oldest hominid specimens have almost turned to stone as molecules of minerals have saturated the bone, most are not mineralized, only partially are so.

Though the remains of some of the oldest hominid specimens have almost turned to stone as molecules of minerals have saturated the bone, most are not mineralized, only partially are so. If we remove the middlemen (still not required), the sentence doesn't makes sense.

A) only partially are so - Does not make sense but still let's hold it.

B) only in part - Sentence is not balanced and distorts the meaning.

C) only partially - Sentence is not balanced and distorts the meaning.

D) or only in part - Sentence seems balanced but usage of prepositional phrase is awkward.

E) or are only partially so - Sentence is balanced and maintains parallelism. Seems better than option A.

Imo. E
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2305 [1]
Given Kudos: 114
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Though the remains of some of the oldest hominid specimens have almost [#permalink]
Kudos
My choice is (E). This is a tough question. I spent most of the time debating between (D) and (E).

The original sentence is not clearly written with regard to "only partially are so". It does not make much sense. So, it probably took me 15 seconds to figure out the intended meaning, which is portrayed in option (D) or (E). The intended meaning is: Some specimens are almost mineralized, but most are not or only partially mineralized.

The answer is either D or E. It is hard to pick one over the other.

For one thing, the comma before either D or E is suspicious. Comma + FANBOYS strongly suggests that what follows after comma is a complete clause. Here D does not even contain a verb; E is not a clause itself.

For another, I am not sure what "so" means in E.

At the very end, I have to read the 2 versions and pick me that sounds better. I found that E sounds better.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [1]
Given Kudos: 314
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 590 Q37 V33
GPA: 4
WE:Law (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Though the remains of some of the oldest hominid specimens have almost [#permalink]
Kudos
Ah! toughie.

I went into meaning, to solve this one. 1:27 time.

Though the remains of some of the oldest hominid specimens have almost turned to stone as molecules of minerals have saturated the bone, most are not mineralized, only partially are so.

The sentence is saying that remains of some of HS have turned to stone due to some reason, however most are not mineralized or maybe partially.

I am not very confident but I think, or would be needed here to show that most of hominid specimens have not mineralized or may have only partially been mineralized.

Hence between D and E, I think the answer should be "E", as the "so" in the end works like a pronoun and refers back to mineralized.

E correct IMO.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 993 [1]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:

We need a conjunction between "most are not mineralized" and "only partially are so"
D and E provide that.

The usage "most are mineralized, only partially are so" does not convey any clear intended meaning. Also, I am not very sure on what is the independent clause here. From what I could make sense, the initial non underlined part servers as IC.

Quote:
A) only partially are so
B) only in part
C) only partially

Between D and E:
Quote:
D) or only in part In part what? In part mineralized? but we have to assume that? Or in part something else?
E) or are only partially so Seems like the best out of the lot and conveys clear meaning (at least to us :lol: ).

IMO E.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1041 [1]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Though the remains of some of the oldest hominid specimens have almost [#permalink]
Kudos

Meaning: Although the remains of some hominid specimens have almost turned to stone as molecules of minerals have saturated the bone, most [hominid specimens] are not mineralized, or are only partially so[mineralized].

To solve this SC question, I had to be completely literal about where an adverbial phrase has to be positioned when it modifies a non-transitive verb. Mineralized is a non-transitive verb hence it requires an auxiliary verb. I will focus on the main clause of the sentence. So refers to mineralized, hence I will replace so with mineralized. Also, I relied on parallelism to eliminate some of the options.

Quote:
A: Most[hominid specimens] are not mineralized, only partially are mineralized.

The problem with A is that only and partially are adverbs that modify mineralized. They must, therefore, be positioned next to mineralized. It is not proper to place adverbs before the helping verb for a non-transitive verb. The right placement is between the auxiliary verb, in this case, are and mineralized. Even if option A had the adverbial phrase rightly positioned, it still has an issue of joining two main clauses with a comma. We need a subordinator after the comma. Eliminate A.

Quote:
B: Most[hominid specimens] are not mineralized, only in part.

This option is incomplete. Most are not mineralized, a clause, is not parallel to most only in part, a noun phrase. Eliminate B.

Quote:
C: Most[hominid specimens] are not mineralized, only partially.

This option is also incomplete. Most are not mineralized, a clause, is not parallel to most only partially, a noun phrase. I'm not so sure its a noun phrase, but it's a phrase of some sort. Eliminate option C.

Quote:
D: Most[hominid specimens] are not mineralized, or only in part.

Just as in B and C, D is incomplete. Most are not mineralized, a clause is not parallel to most only in part, a noun phrase. Eliminate option D.

Quote:
E: Most[hominid specimens] are not mineralized, or are only partially mineralized.

The adverbial phrase only partially is positioned rightly between are and mineralized in this option. In addition, Most are not mineralized, a clause is rightly parallel to most are only partially mineralized, a clause.

The answer is, therefore, option E.

Originally posted by eakabuah on 23 Nov 2019, 12:22.
Last edited by eakabuah on 23 Nov 2019, 12:45, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [1]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V35
GPA: 3.9
WE:Education (Accounting)
Send PM
Kudos

A) only partially are so

B) only in part

C) only partially

D) or only in part

E) or are only partially so

The original sentence needs a connecting word, without it the sentence sounds incomplete and ambiguous. Only option D and E have a connecting word 'or'. Like some and most, in option E partially acts as subject of the verb are. but in option D in part has no verb, which makes it incorrect. IMHO, E is correct.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35538 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
The official explanation is here
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2305 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
generis wrote:
OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

Project SC Butler: Day 195: Sentence Correction (SC2)

Quote:
Though the remains of some of the oldest hominid specimens have almost turned to stone as molecules of minerals have saturated the bone, most are not mineralized, only partially are so

A) only partially are so
B) only in part
C) only partially
D) or only in part

• HIGHLIGHTS

Meaning?

Although the remains of some specimens have almost turned to stone because minerals have invaded the bone,
most [of the remains] either are not mineralized or are only partially mineralized.

1) SO means "mineralized." I discuss the word so below.
2) examine the words some and most closely. They mark off groups that are different.
-- In this case,
(1) some of the remains are like stones because the bones have been mineralized,
but
(2) most [of the remains] are not like stones because either the bones are not mineralized or the bones are only partially mineralized.

THE PROMPT
Quote:

some and most are the subjects, plural, of the sentences, plural (two sentences exist)

Some are nearly 100% Xed — some are almost totally ruined.
By contrast, most are not ruined, ______.
Most are not ruined or are only partially ruined makes sense.
Look at the last part of the sentence.
Most are not Xed, __________[something about partly or partially]
A) only partially are so
B) only in part
C) only partially
D) or only in part

Mentally insert each option into that blank.
Whatever goes in that blank is tied to the subject "most."
No option gives us a third subject, and "only partially" fits with what we know about most (and some).
-- Some of the specimens have been mineralized almost completely.[The specimens are nearly ruined.)
BUT most of the specimens are not mineralized [at all] (opposite of above) . . . OR are only partially mineralized (also opposite of above)

All of the pairings in the options use only and some form of partially. Meaning?
-- No more than partly ____ / No more than in part _______.
Most are not mineralized [at all], OR most are just slightly mineralized.

• Split #1: we need a conjunction

We need a conjunction because the subject most has two subgroups with different characteristics and we need a conjunction to conjoin the adjective phrases that describe the two subgroups.
(Jargon: We need a conjunction because the subject "most" has two subject complements that are alternatives, i.e., that do not co-exist.)

From the structure of the non-underlined portion, we know that
1) some is the subject of the first clause. Some are almost completely mineralized.
2) most is the subject of the second clause. "Most" are not at all X or are only partially X
-- Most are not mineralized (at all)
or
-- are mineralized only partially.

We have no way of giving the subject most its two subject complements (not X, slightly X) without a conjunction.
Wrong: Most are not [at all] X, only partially X.
Correct: Most are not [at all] X, or are only partially X

Eliminate options A, B, and C because they all lack the conjunction or.

• Split #2: Parallelism

D) . . . most are not mineralized, or only in part.
Huh? Most are X or Y.
→ X and Y should be parallel and are not.
X = are not mineralized
Y = only in part

Check E.

E) . . . most are not mineralized, or are only partially so.
X = are not mineralized
Y = are only partially mineralized [so]
That option works.

Eliminate D.

The correct answer is E

• NOTES

USE THE STRUCTURE OF THE SENTENCE

Even if you did now know that "so" meant "mineralized," the structure of the sentence could have helped you choose E.
Though signals contrast.
Contrast requires at least two things.
Contrast means that one group or object will have characteristics that are different from the other group or object, or that the two groups will do something in contrasting ways.

Most is a new subject, and as predicted, "most" are different from "some."
The end-of-sentence placement for "only partially" strongly suggests that the characteristic belongs with the group "most," not the group "some."

Whether you whittled the answers down to A and E or to D and E, the next question would have been: is this answer parallel?
Options A and E give clues that "only partially" needs a verb.
Options A and D are not parallel.

Because we have a not in "Most are not mineralized," we must repeat the verb are in order to avoid the "not."

Wrong: The berries are not ripe or only partially. Nonsense. :x
Correct:The berries are not ripe or are only partially ripe.
Correct: The berries are not ripe or are only partially so.

Parallelism is one of the basics in SC (along with S/V agreement, pronoun agreement, and complete sentences).

The word SO

The word SO can substitute for a word, phrase, or clause in English.

He was very angry, and he told me so. SO = was very angry
I'm going to London next week, or at least I hope so. SO = that I am going to London
You shouldn't really stop work before six, but you can do so today. SO = stop work
Examples taken from here

So can stand in for an adjective, as it does in this sentence.
Most are not mineralized or are only partially so.
Some of the oil paintings are partly dry, but others are completely so.

You may see do so, does so, and did so on the GMAT.
Do/does/did can substitute for almost any verb (two exceptions), and so can substitute for almost any phrase.

Commas
The comma before are only partially so is not standard.
Except in the case of a comma splice, do not let a comma be the reason for eliminating an option.
Writers cannot be completely consistent about commas.
In addition to the standard rules, commas are used to mimic speech patterns.
In this case, the sentence is clearer and thus better with the non-standard comma.

COMMENTS

From everything I've read on this thread, you all had very good instincts.
Okay, so the question took some of you a little while.

Next time that you get stuck, maybe you will stop for 5 seconds, take a breath, and ask, "Am I missing any basics?"
Parallelism is one of the basics.

Don't get stuck on comma usage (except: no comma splices and use the Oxford comma to help you figure out how many items are in a GMAC list).
(Every expert who has commented on commas says the same thing as I. We sound like broken records.)

Another basic: the word OR is usually a parallelism marker.

This question is hard. Nice work.

Thanks for the great explanation. I have two follow-up questions on two points you made.

(1) Do/does/did can substitute for almost any verb (two exceptions).
Question: What are the two exceptions?

(2) Don't get stuck on comma usage (except: no comma splices and use the Oxford comma to help you figure out how many items are in a GMAC list).
Question: I understand that you are saying that "comma splices" is a sure sign of error. But how about the use of Oxford comma? Do we insist on the use of Oxford comma in GMAC list?

Thanks again!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 531
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 3: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.55
WE:Project Management (Insurance)
Send PM
In Option D & E,
isn’t comma+conjunction = semicolon
making the last part an independent clause.
But ‘ are only partially so’ doesn’t have a subject. So it can’t be a clause.
Won’t this make D & E also wrong?
What am i missing?

Thanks in advance.

Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 849 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts