Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:10 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [20]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Business
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Entrepreneurship- Law-Finance
Schools:IE- ESCP - Warwick
GMAT 2: 560  Q42  V25
Send PM
Re: TOEFL or IELTS [#permalink]
Kudos
MMMM interesting topic! As a non native speaker it is also part of my application... even if it is a part where business school are very flexible!

Why?

- 95% of the B-Schools give a conditional offer without TOEFL or IELTS? You just have to send your score before the intake an you are in.

- During an interview, it was in august for a september intake. An admission guy told me that he could see that my english was enough and that I did not need to tale an english tests.

- Specially UK/US universities, sell their product with the english language :-) If you can't get the right score you have to attent a 4-8 weeks of Summer courses to improve anf follow english classes in your topic. You than not need to take any english exams but pay about 8000 -15000$ more! I have seen a lot of people studying LLM (law degrees!!) in LSE without having IELTS nor TOEFL instead they attend 8 weeks of summer classes.

- You can negotiate, by saying you have had a workexperience or an education in english during a couple of years.

- I don't believe a good english can improve your application. It is just a standart, so once you have the level adcom are neutral.

In addition, I believe that basically 7,5/9 IELTS equals +- 100/TOEFL IBT it is what the most neutrals (European non us non uk) universities ask and you can choose wether taking TOEFL or IELTS.

But If you applied in the UK, they ask you to get a 6.5-7.5 IELTS (LSE asks for 6.5 or 7 it depends from the major) or a 108-115 at the TOEFL, which is I believe totally unfair as somebody who score a 115/120 at the TOEFL has a better english than somebody who scored a 7 at the IELTS. I believe it is the way UK universities say "we just want you to take the IELTS" so if you are applying in the UK take the IELTS don't put useless efforts by achivieving a top TOEFL score if IELTS is enough! US universities are more fair bys asking 100/120 or 7.5 at the TOEFL.

Finally, I personally believe IELTS is easier. I scored 91/120 at the TOEFL with an intermediate english B2+. (It was 1,5 years ago before staying 6 month in the UK) In the UK enrolled to an english class and I was C1+. A friend of mine was B2, he has a certain fluency when he spoke, but I could hear at least one rudimentary mistake in one out of his 5 sentences! Guess what? he scored a 7.5... I think he studied well before taking the test, he told me he scored an 8 and the reading and 6.5 in speaking etc But it confirms what a lot of people say IELTS is quite easier... maybe a 7/9 would worth a 100/120... Who knows...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Based on my own experience I should say that there are certain differences between TOEFL and IELTS.

First of all, TOEFL is well-accepted between the United States universities and colleges for those students who want to continue their studies int he US.

Moreover, TOEFL is more optimized for academical evaluation; it means that a student with a high TOEFL score has the advantage of getting accepted as one with very good knowledge of English so that his/her professors should not be worried about his/her abilities of understanding and expressing in English as a second language.

These two facts are well-known and well-accepted so there is a difference between a student with IELTS or TOEFL degree.

Masy
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
I think if you want to learn MBA in US then TOEFLibt seem to be neccessary. It is accepted in every US business school
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
This might not apply to everyone, but I think if you are more used to American TV shows and movies, TOEFL should be easier than IELTS.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
we cannot compare which is easier or better, any test have its own purposes
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I think IELTS is bit easy as compare to TOEFL
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Great information you have shared over here. And jas1414 is absolutely right i am agree with him.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: University of Tehran
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Grad GPA: 4
Concentration: Marketing
Schools: Wharton
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Retail)
Send PM
Thanks alot rid82 for the info,

I was wondering about the two alternatives. As an English major, I personally don't have any problem with IELTS but I think it's far harder than TOEFL, esp speaking, reading and listening and again especially Academic IELTS. longer readings, varied accents in listening and face-to-face speaking make IELTS tougher.

And a question, do top bschools consider any kind of priority between these two? even a nuance in preference?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
saeedt wrote:
And a question, do top bschools consider any kind of priority between these two? even a nuance in preference?

Hi saaedt,

Sincerely I don't know anyone that has taken the IELTS instead of the TOEFL. I suggest you to ask directly to the schools.

rid
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Entrepreneurship- Law-Finance
Schools:IE- ESCP - Warwick
GMAT 2: 560  Q42  V25
Send PM
Hi,

I have taken the IELTS and scored a 7.5.

What I can tell you is that in the UK they clearly prefer the IELTS; asking score of 6.5-7.0 and TOEFL score of 108 etc I can assure you a 6.5 is much easier to get than a 108. (I know by experience)

Other european country they generally ask for IELTS 7.0- 7.5 or TOEFL 100+, with no real preference between the two. For those I recommend you taking the IELTS, as it is in my opinion quite easier. (no multiple choice, you oral test is in front of a human person,etc)

So far, just one business school I was interested in told me they do not recognize the IELTS.

Good luck
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
I took both of them for different purposes..IELTS Score: 8 with lower grade being 7 in Writting (they´re are pretty strict when you don´t "respect" the question)..;TOEFL Score (Paper-Based Test): 634..so it´s pretty much the same thing,though TOEFL was easier for me
Intern
Intern
Send PM
i prefer ielts
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
 Q33  V19
Send PM
Very valuable post! thanks for sharing.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
same question here. i got ielts but not toefl. should i do both or just ielts is enough? I think there is time bar for ielts, is this true?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 404 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Very good post. I was alwalys confused about which one to take up. Now post might help me decide. Thanks a lot for sharing.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 916
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V44
GMAT 3: 680 Q44 V39
GMAT 4: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
I always believed IELTS is harder that TOEFL. But it turns out to be, that it's the opposite. Interesting ;) Then I've taken te right decision to sit for the TOEFL (assuming it gives me a better "image")

Regards,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Well My vote is pertain to IELTS (International English language testing service ) The one main reason is that I got a degree of IELTS...:D:D
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   
Moderator:
Board of Directors
4385 posts