Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 11:55 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 11:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13397 [15]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [5]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 982
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2500 [1]
Given Kudos: 459
Send PM
Re: How many points with Integer x and Y co-ordinates lie within the circl [#permalink]
Bookmarks
mdacosta wrote:
I agree with the 32 figure, but what about points (2,0), (3,0) and (-2,0), (-3,0), etc. I would think it would make the # of points inside the circle 32 + 12 (on the axis's) + 1 (origin) = 45 total points?

14101992 wrote:
How many points with Integer x and Y co-ordinates lie within the circle with centre at origin if the circle intersects with parabola y = ax^2 + 4 where a>0 at only one Point

Circle touches parabola at only 1 point.

So, that means they just touch each other. For the parabola, if x=0, y=4. So the parabola intersects the y-axis at (0,4).

This is the point where circle touched the parabola. Even if 'a' is any value > 0.

Circle of circle is given as (0,0). Now, we have got the circle with eqn x^2+y^2=16. (4 is the radius of circle).

For this circle the integer (x,y) inside the circle can be all those point satisfying

x^2+y^2<16

So, all the pairs in the 1st quadrant lying inside the circle will be

(1,1) (1,2) (2,2) (2,1) (3,1) (3,2) (2,3) (1,3) - Total 8.

Similarly in 4 quadrants it will be 8*4=32.

We also have (0,1) (1,0) (0,-1) (-1,0) making the count go to 36.

We have an option 36, but wait. What about (0,0). That is also inside the circle.

Hence, the answer will be D =37.

Hi

Yes, I agree with mdacosta .. If you are looking at all the integer points lying within

x^2 + y^2 < 16
Then those are 45, NOT 37.

One way to do is to rewrite the inequality like this:
y^2 < 16 - x^2

Here if x=0, then we have y^2 < 16 Or -4 < y < 4. y can take 7 integer values here (-3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3)

If x=1, then we have y^2 < 15. Here also y can take 7 integer values (-3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3)
If x=-1, then also we have y^2 < 15. Here also y can take 7 integer values (-3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3)

If x=2, then we have y^2 < 12. Here also y can take 7 integer values (-3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3)
If x=-2, then also we have y^2 < 15. Here also y can take 7 integer values (-3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3)

If x=3, then we have y^2 < 7. Here y can take 5 integer values (-2, -1, 0, 1, 2)
If x=-3, then also we have y^2 < 7. Here also y can take 5 integer values (-2, -1, 0, 1, 2)

We cannot take x as any other integer value as that would mean y^2 < 0

So total required points with integer coordinates = 7 + 7 + 7 + 7 + 7 + 5 + 5 = 45.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
Send PM
Re: How many points with Integer x and Y co-ordinates lie within the circl [#permalink]
Yes, it should be 45 and not 37
11,12,13,21,22,23,31,32-similar points in other coordinates 8*4
01,02,03-similar points in other coordinaters 3*4
sum 45
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 233
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Send PM
When you plot the graph, the result will look as in the attachment. The radius of the circle being 4. The no of points inside the circle =3*3*4=36+(0,0)=37.

Let me know if anything more needs to be explained.
Attachments

IMG_8393.JPG
IMG_8393.JPG [ 1.38 MiB | Viewed 5071 times ]

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Hello VeritasPrepKarishma / mikemcgarry,
can you please give us an insight on this?
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 5583 [3]
Given Kudos: 236
WE:General Management (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hii

Please see my attached sketch.
Feel free to ask again if you have any more doubts.

afa13 wrote:
Hello VeritasPrepKarishma / mikemcgarry,
can you please give us an insight on this?

Attachments

IMG-20180413-WA0029.jpg
IMG-20180413-WA0029.jpg [ 97.75 KiB | Viewed 4937 times ]

GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 5583 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
WE:General Management (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Please recheck the OA.

GMATinsight wrote:
How many points with Integer x and Y co-ordinates lie within the circle with centre at origin if the circle intersects with parabola y = ax^2 + 4 where a>0 at only one Point

A) 16
B) 17
C) 36
D) 37
E) 41

Source: https://www.GMATinsight.com
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
gmatbusters,
exactly! the oa is wrong. thanks for your post.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13397 [4]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
How many points with Integer x and Y co-ordinates lie within the circl [#permalink]
Kudos