Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 22:05 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35497 [25]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35497 [11]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [2]
Given Kudos: 86
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 441 [1]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
Re: Latin America has no single dominant Spanish dialect: the range of Spa [#permalink]
Kudos
IMO E

Latin America has no single dominant Spanish dialect: the range of Spanish encompasses many styles, speeds, and slang, with each a product of their local influences, from the fast-paced, clear Colombian variants to the more obvious, melodic Argentinian alternatives.

Skeleton of the sentence : There is no dominant Spanish dialect in Latin America. The range encompasses many A,B,C - each a product of X, from D to E.

A) with each a product of their
The usage of 'with' is wrong.
Each (singular) cannot be used with their (plural)

B) each products of their
Each denotes a singular usage and products/their denotes that dialect is plural.
Eliminate.

C) each products of
Same error as in (B)

D) with each as a product of its
Each as a product of is grammatically incorrect.

E) each a product of
Correct. This fits into the skeleton. Each dialect is a product of local influences, from X to Y.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 366 [1]
Given Kudos: 748
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
Send PM
Re: Latin America has no single dominant Spanish dialect: the range of Spa [#permalink]
Kudos
This question hinges on the fact that EACH is always singular

Eliminate
- pronoun-pronoun mismatch: EACH is singular, THEIR is plural

Eliminate
- pronoun-pronoun mismatch (same as in A)
- pronoun-noun mismatch: EACH is singular, PRODUCTS is plural

C) each products of
Eliminate
- pronoun-noun mismatch (same as in B)

Eliminate
- not concise as compared to E
- meaning not clear
- probably unidiomatic

E) each a product of
Correct

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 185 [1]
Given Kudos: 68
Send PM
Kudos
sumisachan wrote:
Latin America has no single dominant Spanish dialect: the range of Spanish encompasses many styles, speeds, and slang, with each a product of their local influences, from the fast-paced, clear Colombian variants to the more obvious, melodic Argentinian alternatives.

A) with each a product of their; S-V mismatch

B) each products of their; S-V mismatch

C) each products of; S-V mismatch

D) with each as a product of its; it's awkward

E) each a product of; correct answer

Why is the use of 'products' a subject verb error? I think products is used for "styles, speeds, and slang" - plural.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [1]
Given Kudos: 139
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
WE:Marketing (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Kudos

Bit of a wild guess this one... I think it's trying to say 'with each dialect as a product of its own influences'

#1 'each' requires a singular, 'their' should link up with 'dialect' so should be singular

C) each products of

#2 elimination based on the clarity of the final sentence, I think it would require a different punctuation with choice E despite being more concise

E) each a product of

The final verdict: D
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [1]
Given Kudos: 503
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GRE 1: Q162 V150
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
Latin America has no single dominant Spanish dialect: the range of Spa [#permalink]
Kudos

Their is wrong its is correct
Their is wrong its is correct
products is wrong - plural
C) each products of
products is wrong -plural

Each as a product sounds bad - not exactly sure why to eliminate this
E) each a product of
Yep sounds better - Looks like an absolute modifier or NOUN+ NOUN modifier - modifying the previous sentence .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Kudos
Split : 1 - with vs each
With is used in two cases
1. I ate pizza with enthusiasm
2. I went to movies with my cousin

Here the usage of with is not referring to any of the above cases
Therefore, usage of “ with” is wrong. Eliminate A and D
Now, we are down to three options.

Split 2- Each products vs Each a product of
Here , Each requires singular.
Each style/ speed/ slang is a product of local influences.

Eliminate B and C

Other errors :
1. It’s not clear What “as” means in option D. there is no comparison or role to indicate.
2. “Their” plural in and A and B doesn’t agree with Singular “Each”.

Correct answer E

Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 72
GPA: 3.29
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM

Question Type: Subject-Verb Agreement

Wrong Each & their don’t agree in number.

Wrong Same error as above.

C) each products of
Wrong Each signifies singular, but it is followed by products. This construction does not seem correct.

Correct Use of “with” seems important, I honestly don’t know why. I would like a better explanation (if at all I’m right). “Its” agrees with each in number.

E) each a product of
Wrong Did not choose this because of the absence of with. Also, absence of “as” make me feel that the definition is restricted to being just the product of local influences.

Thank you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [1]
Given Kudos: 295
Concentration: Finance, General Management
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM

A) with each a product of their. No proper antecedent of pronoun "their".

B) each products of their Same as B.

C) each products of Singular/plural mismatch.

D) with each as a product of its Now who wants such a wordy choice?? A straight no.

E) each a product of Concise and correct.
Verbal Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1614 [1]
Given Kudos: 1680
Send PM

A) with each a product of their Incorrect

SV error - each singular whereas their plural

B) each products of their Incorrect

SV error - each singular whereas their plural

C) each products of Incorrect

SV error - each singular whereas products plural

D) with each as a product of its Incorrect

Change meaning - as changes meaning and sounds awkward

E) each a product of Correct
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 32
Schools: Simon '25
GRE 1: Q161 V158
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
Latin America has no single dominant Spanish dialect: ( Main Clause with SV. S- bolded, V- italics)
the range of Spanish encompasses many styles, speeds, and slang,
with each a product of their local influences, ( Noun + noun modifier structure. Noun = each , Noun modifier = a product of their local influences....... )
from the fast-paced, clear Colombian variants to the more obvious, melodic Argentinian alternatives. ( from X to Y)

Questions arise: What does "their" refer to ? No nearby plural nouns - Definitely look out for better options :) . Each refer to dialect logically. Each dialect is a product of local influence. Logically speaking saying " a dialect is a product of dialect's influences" does not make sense. "with" is a prepositional phrase here - may be we could do better by removing it but that is not the reason to say its wrong right off the bat :)

POE
A) Eliminate for above reasons. "their" is a big issue - logically as well as usage wise of pronoun "their"
B) Same as A. Use of "their' creates issues meaning wise and modification wise.
C) "each products" What are the "products" -> plural - no entity it can refer to logically. ( Breaks Noun + noun modifier structure which we will see in next options. )
D) "each as a product of its local influence" is saying "Dialect as a product of dialect's local influence" -> does not make sense logically - eliminate
E) "each a product of local influence" ---> Nice noun + noun modifier structure - this is the best we can do here.

Mark E and move on :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [1]
Given Kudos: 334
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 500 Q42 V17
GMAT 2: 590 Q47 V26
Send PM
Kudos
Latin America (s) has(v) no single dominant Spanish dialect:

IC Followed by colon
This usage is correct if the following IC will describe the first IC.

Moving on..

the range of Spanish (s) encompasses(v)
many styles, speeds, and slang, with each a product of their local influences,

-- what is 'with' the product of 'their' local influences? Slang? Or each of style,speed and slang? NOT CLEAR
-- Their??? Can we use Thier for styles,speeds and slag? No.

from
the fast-paced, clear Colombian variants
to
the more obvious, melodic Argentinian alternatives.

Overall another IC explaining the first IC.

Structure:

IC: THE RANGE OF SPANISH encompasses X,Y,Z,each a product of local influences from K to M.

A) with each a product of their.
-- incorrect as explained above.

-- singular'products' does not maches with a list of subjects (style,speed and slag) (plural subject)

** Whenever each is used after the list of objects..the verb matches with the number of objects.

e.g: Company X,Y and Z each generate roughly the same revenue.

-- 'their' is incorrect.

C) each products of
--same error as B

-- with is not required.
-- no antecedent of 'its'.

E) each a product of
-- No errors.

IMO E.

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [1]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
WE:Information Technology (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
each - singular Their - plural

each - singular Products, Their - plural

C) each products of

each - singular products - plural

its - pronoun ambiguity. Is it referring to Latin America or Spanish dialect ??

E) each a product of

each - singular product - singular

IMO E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 4
Send PM
generis Can you please provide official explanation for this question? Also it would be great if you can elaborate on the use of with.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35497 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
chillbrorelax wrote:
sumisachan wrote:

A) with each a product of their; S-V mismatch

B) each products of their; S-V mismatch

C) each products of; S-V mismatch

D) with each as a product of its; it's awkward

E) each a product of; correct answer

Why is the use of 'products' a subject verb error? I think products is used for "styles, speeds, and slang" - plural.

chillbrorelax , I'm not sure I understand your statement about "products."
Each dialect is a product of its local influences. (From the non-underlined portion.)
I do not think that "styles, speed, and slang" are the influences, but rather are the result of those influences.
(And to say that Spanish dialects range widely is radical understatement: I can converse fluently with people from Mexico, Latin America, and many South American countries, but as soon as I hit Argentinians or Cubans, I am lost.)

As for your question, I think sumisachan meant that each and products cannot be paired because each is a singular determiner (see my OE, in which I link to a post about EACH in this form) whereas products is a plural noun. If we are being very strict, you are correct: that error is not a subject/verb error.

I hope that helps.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35497 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
The official explanation is here.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 185 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Send PM
generis wrote:
chillbrorelax wrote:

chillbrorelax , I'm not sure I understand your statement about "products."
Each dialect is a product of its local influences. (From the non-underlined portion.)
I do not think that "styles, speed, and slang" are the influences, but rather are the result of those influences.
(And to say that Spanish dialects range widely is radical understatement: I can converse fluently with people from Mexico, Latin America, and many South American countries, but as soon as I hit Argentinians or Cubans, I am lost.)

As for your question, I think sumisachan meant that each and products cannot be paired because each is a singular determiner (see my OE, in which I link to a post about EACH in this form) whereas products is a plural noun. If we are being very strict, you are correct: that error is not a subject/verb error.

I hope that helps.

Thanks for welcoming me. Glad you found my username amusing.

I was a bit confused here. Of course, I understand that "product" means "styles, speeds, and slang". However, I supposed a case like the one you have mentioned in the OE: "They each wear ...". Now that you have mentioned how each is used as a determiner and a pronoun, I am clear. Thanks.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [0]
Given Kudos: 596
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Send PM
generis

If option D below
Quote:

Were turned to
Quote:
D) with each a product of its

would it be correct ?? With can also be used when we want to explain about any component from previous clause before comma . Here we are exactly doing that.

Please help.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts