Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:05 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35497 [33]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35497 [17]
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35497 [3]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [1]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Re: The tissues of the human body are constantly moistened by a briny solu [#permalink]
Bookmarks
primordial sea is a place, so from where seems appropriate, so of which options are removed , that is A,B and E

so remainng options are C and D,

out of which as X as Y seems appropriate, ie option D . so it is the correct choice

A) to be of about the same salinity as the primordial sea from which( from where is more suitable than from which. so wrong)

B) of as about the same salinity like the primordial sea out of which( from where is more suitable than from which. so wrong)

C) to be about the same salinity as the primordial sea from where( as X as Y is more appropriate than to be . hence wrong)

D) of as about the same salinity as the primordial sea from where( seems to be correct choice)

E) to be of about the same salinity like the primordial sea from which ( from where is more suitable than from which. so wrong)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [1]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Leadership, Sustainability
Schools: Stanford
Send PM
Re: The tissues of the human body are constantly moistened by a briny solu [#permalink]
Kudos
The tissues of the human body are constantly moistened by a briny solution thought to be of about the same salinity as the primordial sea from which life emerged.

which must be used in this sentence since "salinity" is a noun and isn't a location.

A) to be of about the same salinity as the primordial sea from which

B) of as about the same salinity like the primordial sea out of which

C) to be about the same salinity as the primordial sea from where

D) of as about the same salinity as the primordial sea from where

E) to be of about the same salinity like the primordial sea from which

Therefore, A
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1040 [1]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
The tissues of the human body are constantly moistened by a briny solu [#permalink]
Kudos
Thanks to generis for clearing a lot of doubts, I have changed my mind on answer choice C as the correct option. The use of from where is incorrect in the context. The focus is not on the location of the primordial sea, but rather on its salinity. This same error is repeated in option D as well. We can, therefore, eliminate options C and D.

In options B and D, thought of as about the same salinity does not make much sense. Option B has the added issue of comparing clauses with like, this is not correct. Like can compare nouns and not clauses. Option E also repeats the same error in the comparison stated above. as is appropriate for comparing clauses compared with like. We can therefore eliminate B and E as well.

The correct answer is option A. from which is appropriately used refer to the salinity of the primordial sea, compared with the wrong usage of from where in options C and D. Contrary to my earlier erroneous thought on the role of about in options A and E, it is now clear that about in the context plays the role of an adverb rather than serve as a preposition. Hence there is no issue with its usage in options A and E. Therefore thought to be of about is correct.

This is a very good question; I have learned a lot from it and cleared many doubts through the explanations offered by generis. Thanks so much.

Originally posted by eakabuah on 10 Oct 2019, 17:44.
Last edited by eakabuah on 11 Oct 2019, 12:39, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2301 [2]
Given Kudos: 114
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
My choice is (A). It took me 59 seconds.

I applied the following 2 considerations:
(1) Idiomatic use of "The same as"
(2) From where is never right. Where is an Adverb and cannot serve as object for a preposition such as "From".

(B) Should use "As" instead of "Like“
(C) "From where" is wrong
(D) The same as above
(E) Should use "As" instead of "Like“
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1022 [1]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
Kudos
Imo. A

Like is used to compare nouns and in hypothetical situations whereas as is used to compare verbs/actions/clauses. One most important characteristic of usage of like is that there should not be any verb after like. Hence, B and E are out as verb emerged is used after like.

The tissues of the human body are constantly moistened by a briny solution thought to be of about the same salinity as the primordial sea from which life emerged.

A) to be of about the same salinity as the primordial sea from which - Relative pronoun refers to the primordial sea and that's fine. Although the sentence seems idiomatically awkward as many prepositions clung together (...thought to be of about.....), let's hold it and evaluate others.

B) of as about the same salinity like the primordial sea out of which - Incorrect for the reason mentioned above. Usage of out of which distorts the meaning.

C) to be about the same salinity as the primordial sea from where - Though it's a close contender, it's wrong because usage of where. Where is to be used to denote the name of location/place. It might be correct if it's given particular name of the sea/ocean.

D) of as about the same salinity as the primordial sea from where - Where is to be used to denote the name of location/place. It might be correct if it's given particular name of the sea/ocean.

E) to be of about the same salinity like the primordial sea from which[/quote] - Incorrect for the reason mentioned above.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35497 [1]
Send PM
The tissues of the human body are constantly moistened by a briny solu [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
eakabuah wrote:
Option A: The tissues of the human body are constantly moistened by a briny solution thought to be of about the same salinity as the primordial sea from which life emerged.
My main issue with option A is it has a preposition right after another preposition. of is a preposition, and so too is about. A noun or pronoun is expected after a preposition, not another preposition as it is with option A. This same error is repeated in option E as well. Thout to be of alone is sufficient, no need to bring about after of since a noun or pronoun is required. We can eliminate both A and E. Sir generis I am a bit confused about whether the usage of from which is appropriate in the context of options A and E. I am unsure whether where is more appropriate than from which. I read on MGMAT SC guide a while back that it is not appropriate to use where to refer to or modify hypothetical places or conditions. So I am wondering whether a reference to primordial sea per this question fits into the hypothetical place whereby it is not appropriate to use where.

Option B: The tissues of the human body are constantly moistened by a briny solution thought of as about the same salinity like the primordial sea out of which life emerged. I just can't get my head around thought of as about. of is a preposition, hence I expect it to followed by its object, either a noun or a pronoun. Instead, it is followed by as which can also act as a preposition, aside from other roles such as as a conjunction and an adverb. As in this case is not playing a role of a conjunction in this context. Maybe it is an adverb modifying the adjective about the same salinity, or perhaps it is a preposition. about is also a preposition, hence it should not be preceded by another preposition. In any case, the use of thought of although it is idiomatic, is not appropriate in the context of option B. thought of should be followed by a noun or pronoun, which is not the case in option B. The same issue is present in option D as well. Let's eliminate options B and E.

We are left with only one option, that is C. The tissues of the human body are constantly moistened by a briny solution thought to be about the same salinity as the primordial sea from where life emerged. Thought to be is idiomatic. The preposition following other preposition issues have been eliminated in option C.

eakabuah , this post is thoughtful and nuanced, as is typical of your work. You wrote:

Quote:
My main issue with option A is it has a preposition right after another preposition.

This about is not a preposition. Easy mistake.

This about is an adverb that means "nearly" or "almost."
In fact, replace "about" with "nearly" or "almost."

Correct: If we use LSAT scores and college grades as rough measures of talent, Harvard Law and Yale Law students are of about the same caliber.
Meaning: Harvard Law and Yale Law students are nearly equal in ability.

[Or not: Harvard Law students are as talented as but more interesting than those at Yale. :grin: Sorry. Can't help myself. Serious rivalry.]

As I wrote above, HERE, thought to be is similar to considered or believed to be.
The words that are implied are in brackets:
..... moistened by a briny solution [that is] thought to be [possessed] of about the same [level of] salinity . . . .
So about is an adverb that modifies the verbal thought to be

You also wrote:
Quote:
Sir generis I am a bit confused about whether the usage of from which is appropriate in the context of options A and E. I am unsure whether where is more appropriate than from which. I read on MGMAT SC guide a while back that it is not appropriate to use where to refer to or modify hypothetical places or conditions. So I am wondering whether a reference to primordial sea per this question fits into the hypothetical place whereby it is not appropriate to use where.

This issue can be really hard, but once you see the two or three exceptions to the general guideline, the "where" guidelines should get a little clearer.

Where can always refer to a physical place.
Correct: He liked to think about the train station where he met her for the first time.

From where is often okay.

-- One fairly recent official question, for example, uses from where in the correct answer.
-- Spoiler alert: I just revealed that one official answer choice is incorrect.
That one option does not use "from where." The other four use "from where."
In this question, here insecticide spreads a long way from where . . . .

• Community, society: Where can refer to some words that we do not typically associate with place.
In one official question, where refers to society.
That official question is HERE.
In another official question, where refers to community.

In both cases, the groups are defined as all the people who live in a certain area.

• where is mostly limited to physical locations

• is this question really referring to the place that life originated, or to the conditions under which life originated?

-- what do we do in this case? The primordial sea really was a place.
This question is correct: On Earth, where did life originate?
This answer is correct: On Earth, life originated in prehistoric waters often called the primordial sea or "primordial soup."
That question asks, literally, in what place on Earth did life originate.

-- This question seems to emphasize something slightly different: the continuity between human bodies now and the origins of life.
The continuity seems to be more of a focus on process than of place..

The primordial sea was a place. But its location is not the point.
The sea's briny composition is the point—from which emerged both life and eventually, human tears.

Quote:
I just can't get my head around thought of as about.

I can't, either. This "thought of," compared to "thought to be" in A, C, and E, does not make much sense.

I hope that analysis helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [1]
Given Kudos: 287
Send PM
Kudos
generis wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 176: Sentence Correction (SC2)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

Lets break the problem

Like Vs As, Thought of Vs Thought to be, Where Vs Which

Like Vs As
Like must be followed by a noun .
Same as is an idiom.
Eliminate B,E.
Thought of Vs Thought to be
Quote:

we can use either thought to be or thought of but we cannot use thought to be of.
Eliminate E

we are left with A,C, and D
and we have Where Vs Which
Quote:

Where is used to refer to a place. sea is a place where life emerged.
so eliminate A .
Now C Vs D
Quote:

were comparing as about the same salinity with sea.
salinity cannot be compared with sea.
Thought to be sounds better than thought of.

So C is the remaining one and the winner.
Desperately waiting for Official answer explaination
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 262
Send PM
Option E.
"Thought to be of" is needed.
Like will be the correct choice here instead of "as" as we are not comparing verbs.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.68
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM

A) to be of about the same salinity as the primordial sea from which - primordial sea, so should be where instead of which

C) to be about the same salinity as the primordial sea from where - CORRECT

Therefore, C is the correct answer choice
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 105 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
generis wrote:

The Correct choice IMO for using the right idiom and using "which".. "Thought to be" is the correct idiom instead of "Thought as". "Where" denoted a place, "which" is preferable since we want to highlight the name of the sea and not the place of the sea

"Thought to be" is the correct idiom instead "Thought as". "From which" conveys the correct meaning rather than "out of which"

C) to be [of] about the same salinity as the primordial sea from where
"of" is missing at the start which distorts the meaning. "Where" denoted a place, "which" is preferable since we want to highlight the name of the sea and not the place of the sea

Incorrect because of reasons explained for B & C

The problem is that "as" should be used in place of "like" since we are not comparing the "cells" with "primodial sea" but the "salinity of cells" with the "salinity of primodial sea"

The Correct choice is A in my opinion because of the explanation above.

But I am doubtful of the choice between "like" and "as" in this sentence.

Requesting generis for his kind help.

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 105 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
generis wrote:
Shivan21 wrote:
generis wrote:

The Correct choice IMO for using the right idiom and using "which".. "Thought to be" is the correct idiom instead of "Thought as". "Where" denoted a place, "which" is preferable since we want to highlight the name of the sea and not the place of the sea

"Thought to be" is the correct idiom instead "Thought as". "From which" conveys the correct meaning rather than "out of which"

C) to be [of] about the same salinity as the primordial sea from where
"of" is missing at the start which distorts the meaning. "Where" denoted a place, "which" is preferable since we want to highlight the name of the sea and not the place of the sea

Incorrect because of reasons explained for B & C

The problem is that "as" should be used in place of "like" since we are not comparing the "cells" with "primodial sea" but the "salinity of cells" with the "salinity of primodial sea"

The Correct choice is A in my opinion because of the explanation above.

Requesting generis for his kind help.

Thanks.

Shivan21 ,
You wrote
Quote:

I am not sure that I understand your specific doubt.

I'm happy to give hints.

A reduced relative clause (that is); a verbal that requires a direct object (thought to be); and the nature of salinity allow the writer to imply the words in brackets below. The words in parentheses (round brackets) explain how to think about the verb.

. . . by a briny solution [that is] thought to be (= believed to possess) about the same [concentration of] salinity ___ the primordial sea [possesses] . . .

thought to be = considered or believed to be

Use AS to compare ideas that contain verbs.
Think about the "reduced relative clause" that I pointed out.

We simply shorten a clause that begins with a relative pronoun such as that, who, or which.
We shorten that clause (reduce it) to a phrase, typically by removing the relative pronoun and to be verb and leaving the past participle (the verbED, thought), but the implied meaning of the "to be" verb (IS, in this case) still exists.

Do we use AS or LIKE in these sentences?
-- He is believed to be as kind ___ his mother is.
-- Hippos are thought to be ____ fierce ____ lions [are fierce].
-- In pre-modern eras, preventable disease was thought to be ___ uncontrollable ___ the weather was.

(We don't need the to be verbs at the end of these comparison sentences because meaning is clear.
I wrote some form of "to be" in each example as a Big Hint about this question.)

If this answer does not help, please formulate your doubt a little more specifically and tag me again.
I am happy to try to help. :)

Thanks a lot generis. This exactly what I was looking for. Clears a lot of my doubts on As vs Like.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [0]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
Quote:

From what I can make out, the life emerged from sea makes sense. So "where" is the appropriate usage.

Quote:

Honestly I like D more because of parallelism but since the non underlined portion says "thought" I believe to be is a better choice.
And in D, of as something is correct usage rather than thought of "as about the ....."

I am going with C.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35497 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Shivan21 wrote:

Thanks a lot generis. This exactly what I was looking for. Clears a lot of my doubts on As vs Like.

Shivan21 , you are very welcome. I am glad that I could help. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [2]
Given Kudos: 112
Send PM
A is the answer,I hope.

A) to be of about the same salinity as the primordial sea from which This is the right answer. It is thought to have about the same salinity as the sea.This sentence communicates this very well.

B) of as about the same salinity like the primordial sea out of which The construction "of as about..." is unidomatic

C) to be about the same salinity as the primordial sea from where This one seemed tempting but my thinking is that its missing the of. how can a briny solution be about the same salinity.

D) of as about the same salinity as the primordial sea from where USes of as again just as B does.

E) to be of about the same salinity like the primordial sea from which The use of like here is wrong. The verb "is" is already implied so what follows as is actually a clause not a noun phrase.Hence a clause can not follow like.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1040 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
generis wrote:
eakabuah wrote:
Option A: The tissues of the human body are constantly moistened by a briny solution thought to be of about the same salinity as the primordial sea from which life emerged.
My main issue with option A is it has a preposition right after another preposition. of is a preposition, and so too is about. A noun or pronoun is expected after a preposition, not another preposition as it is with option A. This same error is repeated in option E as well. Thout to be of alone is sufficient, no need to bring about after of since a noun or pronoun is required. We can eliminate both A and E. Sir generis I am a bit confused about whether the usage of from which is appropriate in the context of options A and E. I am unsure whether where is more appropriate than from which. I read on MGMAT SC guide a while back that it is not appropriate to use where to refer to or modify hypothetical places or conditions. So I am wondering whether a reference to primordial sea per this question fits into the hypothetical place whereby it is not appropriate to use where.

Option B: The tissues of the human body are constantly moistened by a briny solution thought of as about the same salinity like the primordial sea out of which life emerged. I just can't get my head around thought of as about. of is a preposition, hence I expect it to followed by its object, either a noun or a pronoun. Instead, it is followed by as which can also act as a preposition, aside from other roles such as as a conjunction and an adverb. As in this case is not playing a role of a conjunction in this context. Maybe it is an adverb modifying the adjective about the same salinity, or perhaps it is a preposition. about is also a preposition, hence it should not be preceded by another preposition. In any case, the use of thought of although it is idiomatic, is not appropriate in the context of option B. thought of should be followed by a noun or pronoun, which is not the case in option B. The same issue is present in option D as well. Let's eliminate options B and E.

We are left with only one option, that is C. The tissues of the human body are constantly moistened by a briny solution thought to be about the same salinity as the primordial sea from where life emerged. Thought to be is idiomatic. The preposition following other preposition issues have been eliminated in option C.

eakabuah , this post is thoughtful and nuanced, as is typical of your work. You wrote:

Quote:
My main issue with option A is it has a preposition right after another preposition.

This about is not a preposition. Easy mistake.

This about is an adverb that means "nearly" or "almost."
In fact, replace "about" with "nearly" or "almost."

Correct: If we use LSAT scores and college grades as rough measures of talent, Harvard Law and Yale Law students are of about the same caliber.
Meaning: Harvard Law and Yale Law students are nearly equal in ability.

[Or not: Harvard Law students are as talented as but more interesting than those at Yale. :grin: Sorry. Can't help myself. Serious rivalry.]

As I wrote above, HERE, thought to be is similar to considered or believed to be.
The words that are implied are in brackets:
..... moistened by a briny solution [that is] thought to be [possessed] of about the same [level of] salinity . . . .
So about is an adverb that modifies the verbal thought to be

You also wrote:
Quote:
Sir generis I am a bit confused about whether the usage of from which is appropriate in the context of options A and E. I am unsure whether where is more appropriate than from which. I read on MGMAT SC guide a while back that it is not appropriate to use where to refer to or modify hypothetical places or conditions. So I am wondering whether a reference to primordial sea per this question fits into the hypothetical place whereby it is not appropriate to use where.

This issue can be really hard, but once you see the two or three exceptions to the general guideline, the "where" guidelines should get a little clearer.

Where can always refer to a physical place.
Correct: He liked to think about the train station where he met her for the first time.

From where is often okay.

-- One fairly recent official question, for example, uses from where in the correct answer.
-- Spoiler alert: I just revealed that one official answer choice is incorrect.
That one option does not use "from where." The other four use "from where."
In this question, here insecticide spreads a long way from where . . . .

• Community, society: Where can refer to some words that we do not typically associate with place.
In one official question, where refers to society.
In another official question, where refers to community.

In both cases, the groups are defined as all the people who live in a certain area.

• where is mostly limited to physical locations

• is this question really referring to the place that life originated, or to the conditions under which life originated?

-- what do we do in this case? The primordial sea really was a place.
This question is correct: On Earth, where did life originate?
This answer is correct: On Earth, life originated in prehistoric waters often called the primordial sea or "primordial soup."
That question asks, literally, in what place on Earth did life originate.

-- This question seems to emphasize something slightly different: the continuity between human bodies now and the origins of life.
The continuity seems to be more of a focus on process than of place..

The primordial sea was a place. But its location is not the point.
The sea's briny composition is the point—from which emerged both life and eventually, human tears.

Quote:
I just can't get my head around thought of as about.

I can't, either. This "thought of," compared to "thought to be" in A, C, and E, does not make much sense.

I hope that analysis helps.

This is very helpful. It has cleared a lot of doubts. Thanks so much generis
Senior SC Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
eakabuah wrote:
This is very helpful. It has cleared a lot of doubts. Thanks so much generis

eakabuah , I'm glad I could help. :)
Senior SC Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
I have posted the official explanation HERE
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts