GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2018, 21:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

At Shiprock, New Mexico, a perennially powerful girls’ high school bas

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
B
GMAT 1: 530 Q47 V17
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
WE: Business Development (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
At Shiprock, New Mexico, a perennially powerful girls’ high school bas  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 02 Oct 2018, 01:24
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

52% (01:00) correct 48% (01:00) wrong based on 905 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

At Shiprock, New Mexico, a perennially powerful girls’ high school basketball team has become a path to college for some and a source of pride for a community where the household incomes of 49 percent of them are below the poverty level.

(A) where the household incomes of 49 percent of them are

(B) where they have 49 percent of the household incomes

(C) where 49 percent of the household incomes are

(D) which has 49 percent of the household incomes

(E) in which 49 percent of them have household incomes

The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 10th Edition, 2003

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 165
Page: 678

Originally posted by RaviChandra on 12 Mar 2010, 03:34.
Last edited by Bunuel on 02 Oct 2018, 01:24, edited 4 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: At Shiprock, New Mexico, a perennially powerful girls’ high school bas  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2012, 09:32
devinawilliam83 wrote:
At Shiprock, New Mexico, a perennially powerful girls’ high school basketball team has become a path to college for some and a source of pride for a community where the household incomes of 49 percent of them are below the poverty level.

Doesent C changethe meaning of the sentence? ---> 49% 0f household incomes vs 49% of households with income. A uses them to clarify still its incorrect why?

The word community has two meanings/contexts:
(1) a group of people residing at the same place --> physical
E.g., the Asian community

(2) a group of people sharing same status, ideas, etc --> conceptual
E.g., the poor

Now, this context decides which word to use: "where" or "which"

(1) demands 'where' and (2) demands 'which or in which'

In the question it is clear that the statement falls in the first category (decided by "At Shiprock" at the beginning of the sentence) and hence we need to use 'where'. Once this is decided, words like 'they', 'them', etc., are irrelevant/wrong. Hence C is the only one that stands.

-------------------------
-Aravind Chembeti

General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton, Chicago, Columbia, NYU, Harvard, Stanford
At Shiprock, New Mexico, a perennially powerful girls’ high school bas  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2010, 07:58
RaviChandra wrote:
150. At Shiprock, New Mexico, a perennially powerful girls’ high school basketball team has become a path to college for some and a source of pride for a community where the household incomes of 49 percent of them are below the poverty level.

Please Explain ur answers.

I think the answer is C.

Use each answer in the sentence and see if it makes sense.

A. At Shiprock, New Mexico, a perennially powerful girls’ high school basketball team has become a path to college for some and a source of pride for a community where the household incomes of 49 percent of them are below the poverty level. -- The issue here is the "them". Who is "them"? It has no clear antecedent.

B. At Shiprock, New Mexico, a perennially powerful girls’ high school basketball team has become a path to college for some and a source of pride for a community where they have 49 percent of the household incomes below the poverty level. -- Again, the "they" doesn't have a really clear antecedent. The noun before "they" is "community", which is singular - it doesn't really work. In addition, saying that they "HAVE 49% of THE household incomes below the poverty level" makes it sound like this community has 49% of all household incomes below the poverty level... in their state. Or the world. Or the universe.

C. At Shiprock, New Mexico, a perennially powerful girls’ high school basketball team has become a path to college for some and a source of pride for a community where 49 percent of the household incomes are below the poverty level. -- This makes sense. In this community, 49% of the households report an income below the poverty level.

D. At Shiprock, New Mexico, a perennially powerful girls’ high school basketball team has become a path to college for some and a source of pride for a community which has 49 percent of the household incomes below the poverty level. -- Again, stating that the community "HAS 49% of the THE household incomes" makes it sound like the community is being compared to a larger group, out of which it has 49% of household incomes below the poverty level... as opposed to simply indicating that within the community, this statistic is true.

E. At Shiprock, New Mexico, a perennially powerful girls’ high school basketball team has become a path to college for some and a source of pride for a community in which 49 percent of them have household incomes below the poverty level. -- This one almost makes good sense, but again, to whom does that "them" refer?
Intern
Intern
For what?: You know!!
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Re: At Shiprock, New Mexico, a perennially powerful girls’ high school bas  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2014, 04:06
aditya8062 wrote:
i think sometimes it is better not to stick to some specific usage !!
its very hard to single out that GMAC will rule out a question only on the basis of whether "where" or "in which" can or cannot refer to "community" .i feel that both can refer to "community"
the larger picture is however much simpler ---> all the options other than C and D have pronouns such as "them" ,"they" when in fact u dont have a noun "people" in the whole sentence !!
D is wrong for incorrect usage of "which" hence C is the answer

I was confused between C and D. Here, which or where refers to community or to Shiprock? If it does refer to Shiprock, then Where wins hands down.
Director
Director
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2014, 04:12
Quote:
I was confused between C and D. Here, which or where refers to community or to Shiprock? If it does refer to Shiprock, then Where wins hands down.

usage of "which" is wrong in D .u cannot use "which" as is done in D
also both "which" and "where" intends to refer to "community"------>it is the community that can have an average house hold income
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2015, 10:52

(A) where the household incomes of 49 percent of them are --> No clear antecedent for "them"
(B) where they have 49 percent of the household incomes --> same issue. What is "they" referring to?
(C) where 49 percent of the household incomes are --> Correct answer. Community+where or location+where

This is the community where rich people live.
This is the society where I live.

(D) which has 49 percent of the household incomes --> incorrect. Plug in the answer -

At Shiprock, New Mexico, a perennially powerful girls’ high school basketball team has become a path to college for some and a source of pride for a community which has 49 percent of the household incomes below the poverty level.

Implies that community has household incomes below poverty level. Community doesn't have household incomes below the poverty level.It's the residents who have incomes below poverty level. A quick fix of this would be - community + in which.

(E) in which 49 percent of them have household incomes --> this fixes the problem (in which),but has "them".No antecedent for them.
Board of Directors
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2015, 11:23
AM I the only one that is willing to know whether income is uncountable? :)
I know a plural form "incomes" exist, but income is income :)
In addition to this: community - A group of people living in the same place or having a particular characteristic in common (OXFORD DICTIONARY)
Google:
com·mu·ni·ty /kəˈmyo͞onədē/
noun
a group of people living in the same place or having a particular characteristic in common.

Because of this, as per GMAT rules, WHERE cannot be used in this context.

Since the source is not specified, I believe it was not created by GMAC's nor by any other reputable gmat prep companies. Thus, this question is not good for practice :)
Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2015, 16:27
mvictor
Quote:
Because of this, as per GMAT rules, WHERE cannot be used in this context.

Unfortunately, GMAT is very fickle.

Check this problem

Quote:
Many population studies have linked a high-salt diet to high rates of hypertension and shown that in societies where they consume little salt, their blood pressure typically does not rise with age.

(A) shown that in societies where they consume little salt, their

(B) shown that in societies that have consumed little salt, their

(C) shown that in societies where little salt is consumed,

(D) they showed that in societies where little salt is consumed,

(E) they showed that in societies where they consume little salt, their

LINK

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 460 Q42 V14
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2018, 06:07
Quote:
At Shiprock, New Mexico, a perennially powerful girls??? high school basketball team has become a path to college for some and a source of pride for a community where the household incomes of 49 percent of them are below the poverty level.

I have a doubt whether percentage is singular or plural? please clarify .That was the only reason i have eliminated this option.

At Shiprock, New Mexico, a perennially powerful girls??? high school basketball team has become a path to college for some and a source of pride for a community where 49 percent of the household incomes are/is :hurt: below the poverty level
Please clarify.

If you want to Thank me Give me a KUDOS
"I’ve spent months preparing for the day I’d face you. I’ve come a long way, GMAT"- SonGoku

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.82
WE: Engineering (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2018, 07:00
SonGoku wrote:
Quote:
At Shiprock, New Mexico, a perennially powerful girls??? high school basketball team has become a path to college for some and a source of pride for a community where the household incomes of 49 percent of them are below the poverty level.

I have a doubt whether percentage is singular or plural? please clarify .That was the only reason i have eliminated this option.

At Shiprock, New Mexico, a perennially powerful girls??? high school basketball team has become a path to college for some and a source of pride for a community where 49 percent of the household incomes are/is :hurt: below the poverty level
Please clarify.

SonGoku

Q: Please tell me which verb is correct in this sentence: “Ninety percent of the team is/are men.” The plural “are” sounds correct, but “team” is singular.

A: “Ninety percent of the team are men.” Here’s why.

Percent” is used with both singular and plural verbs. It usually takes a plural verb when followed by “of” plus a plural noun, and takes a singular verb when followed by “of” plus a singular noun.

Example: “Sixty percent of the cookies were eaten, but only twenty percent of the milk was drunk.”

With original sentence, the question is whether the noun “team” should be treated as singular or plural. This isn’t a black-and-white question!

“Team” is a collective noun: a singular noun that stands for a number of people or things that form a group.

A collective noun takes either a singular or a plural verb, depending on whether you’re talking about the group as a unit (singular) or the individuals (plural).

In this case, the tip-off that we’re talking about individuals is the word “men,” a plural noun.

So we’re talking here about the players who make up the team, not the group as a single unit. This calls for a plural verb: “Ninety percent of the team are men.”

A similar case can be made for the noun “band.” Like “team,” it’s a singular collective noun. But we would say, “Fifty percent of the band are vocalists.”

The singular verb “is” would be dissonant here because the plural “vocalists” indicates that we’re talking about the members of the band, not the group as a whole.

On the other hand, if we’re talking about the group as a single unit, we use a singular verb: “The team [or band] is playing in Pittsburgh.”

Hope this helps!!

It seems Kudos button not working correctly with all my posts...

Please check if it is working with this post......

is it?....

Anyways...Thanks for trying :cool:

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 460 Q42 V14
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2018, 08:17
My doubt:

If we take team as the subject then the verb must be a singular right ! But here the verb is plural because {we have the percentage of household incomes} the noun is plural.

If you want to Thank me Give me a KUDOS
"I’ve spent months preparing for the day I’d face you. I’ve come a long way, GMAT"- SonGoku

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2018, 00:01
Usage of Where vs Which in this question
GMAT Club Bot
Re: At Shiprock, New Mexico, a perennially powerful girls’ high school bas &nbs [#permalink] 02 Oct 2018, 00:01

At Shiprock, New Mexico, a perennially powerful girls’ high school bas

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap